HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Heatley to Nashville

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2009, 11:44 AM
  #26
JoeSakic
Registered User
 
JoeSakic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
How important is Legwand to Nashville? Or Erat? Adding one of them to a deal involving Heatley and Suter would even up the money, but are these players even available?
I'd be happy with something like Suter, Dumont +1st for Heatley and Picard (or Zubov)

JoeSakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:44 AM
  #27
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
I assume that Weber would still be untouchable even with Heatley on the table?
Unless Jesus Christ comes down to play wing, Wayne Gretzsky/Mario Lemieux's 18 year old clones are in the offer. No. And Suter is getting very close to untouchable. Weber get's all the hype but Suter is just as good. He's the 1b to Weber's 1a. Blum could be moved. Hell, most of us think that to get Heatley we would have to offer Erat. In the end, Nashville is operating on a $48 Million dollar cap to the rest of the NHL's 56 Million and because of this getting a player of Heatley's salary is a financial impossiblity.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:47 AM
  #28
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
How important is Legwand to Nashville? Or Erat? Adding one of them to a deal involving Heatley and Suter would even up the money, but are these players even available?
Yes they would. Erat more than Legwand.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:12 PM
  #29
cjerina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Blum could be moved.
How 'bout we just trade Franson instead... some people still think he's a talent

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:20 PM
  #30
Zillaege
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Unless Jesus Christ comes down to play wing, Wayne Gretzsky/Mario Lemieux's 18 year old clones are in the offer. No. And Suter is getting very close to untouchable. Weber get's all the hype but Suter is just as good. He's the 1b to Weber's 1a. Blum could be moved. Hell, most of us think that to get Heatley we would have to offer Erat. In the end, Nashville is operating on a $48 Million dollar cap to the rest of the NHL's 56 Million and because of this getting a player of Heatley's salary is a financial impossiblity.
I don't think its as big an impossibility as you make it out to be. As I described in an earlier post, if the trade is made after July 1st, Nashville will only be on the hook for $6.2 million per season, for 5 years, which is great value for a player of Heatley's calibre. If a trade is based around say Weber/Heatley, you only pick up $1.7 million in extra salary. That also doesn't take into consideration the massive raise he's gonna command in 2 years, where he might be able to command more than 6.2 million per. Now, if from a strictly hockey perspective you argue that Weber isn't available, even for Heatley, I won't disagree with you, but I don't think financials will be what holds this deal back.

Zillaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:30 PM
  #31
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillaege View Post
I don't think its as big an impossibility as you make it out to be. As I described in an earlier post, if the trade is made after July 1st, Nashville will only be on the hook for $6.2 million per season, for 5 years, which is great value for a player of Heatley's calibre. If a trade is based around say Weber/Heatley, you only pick up $1.7 million in extra salary. That also doesn't take into consideration the massive raise he's gonna command in 2 years, where he might be able to command more than 6.2 million per. Now, if from a strictly hockey perspective you argue that Weber isn't available, even for Heatley, I won't disagree with you, but I don't think financials will be what holds this deal back.
Problem is that his deal is longer than just this year and his contract might prevent things like the extension of the younger foundational players. Nashville is a defensive minded team and they build like a baseball team, from the middle out. (Goal, defense, centers) Nashville's philosophy does not support expensive wingers. Anything is possible with numbers but will the team you build NOW be just as good as the team LATER? Nashville tries for a balance. Roster up to 46 million and use the extra 2 million for a trade for a playoff push.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:45 PM
  #32
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,687
vCash: 500
For the sake of this argument, lets say Poile and Murray agree to Suter, Erat, and 1st 09 for Heatley and Picard. We'll assume this is the trade Murray wants to make (aka best offer).
(it doesnt matter whether you think that's the value...continue reading).

Would nashville not see considerable benefit in completing the deal after July 1st (or on July 1st) after Heater has been paid his 4M dollar bonus? Just looking at it on a 1-year term, Heatley + Picard = 4.85M salary for '09-'10 while Suter + Erat = 8.75M for '09-'10. Nashville's player costs for '09-'10 would immediately decrease by 3.9M for next year, while also upgrading in an area of weakness while dealing from an area of strength. Over the course of Suter's current contract, Erat + Suter earn 27M while Heatley will earn 20M. Picard can be pencilled in at around 1M for his next contract, so we'll say nashville's total cost will then be 23M until 2012.

For the 2012 season, Suter will get a large raise, and erat's salary starts coming down. Heatley's salary also starts coming down (i wouldnt be surprised if Suter's salary in '12-'13 and '13-'14 is considerably higher than the 6M and 5M heatley gets those years).

The bottom line is that Nashville can save some money by waiting until July 1st and then completing a trade like this. For an organization on the road to profitability, that's a very good thing.

This brings me to a second question: how does the draft pick work if the two teams complete a deal like this, as the draft is before July 1st?
I doubt Murray would want a '10 1st, as by the time that pick develops, Alfie will have retired, and there is also less certainty about that pick's position in the first round. Does Poile agree to pick Murray's guy at the table, and then flip him later? Does Murray instead look at a prospect already in the Nashville system? How about doing this trade in two steps: Picard and '10 2nd for Nashville 1st, and then after July 1st Erat and Suter are packaged with that same '10 2nd for Heatley? Which scenario makes the most sense.

The signing bonus due to Heatley makes a lot of interesting scenarios possible, and could possibly set the stage for future quasi-financial transactions between teams. If something like the above works out, what's stopping a team like the Leafs or Rangers from including July 1st signing bonuses in all their contracts, knowing full well it could increase the players' trade value if they were to be traded in the first few years of their contract to the Phoenixes, Tampas, and Nashvilles of our league?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:46 PM
  #33
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
How important is Legwand to Nashville? Or Erat? Adding one of them to a deal involving Heatley and Suter would even up the money, but are these players even available?
Trading Legwand or Erat to get a player of Heatley's caliber is counterproductive, because it opens up the same type of hole it creates. For example, if we give up Erat for Heatley, we'll still need two top six wingers and have $4M or so less to spend on them.

Ultimately, we'd be better off trying to sign two of Antropov, Cole, Sullivan, and Gionta (although the latter is highly unrealistic) than trading for Heatley. It allows us to better distribute our self-imposed budget, and fills a pair of holes without creating any (where Heatley would leave us with the same two holes we started with).

Any trade for Heatley would have to not involve Weber, Suter, Wilson, Blum, likey Rinne, or any top six forward on the roster, in order to work for Nashville, and I doubt that's palatable for Ottawa.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:51 PM
  #34
Zillaege
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Problem is that his deal is longer than just this year and his contract might prevent things like the extension of the younger foundational players. Nashville is a defensive minded team and they build like a baseball team, from the middle out. (Goal, defense, centers) Nashville's philosophy does not support expensive wingers. Anything is possible with numbers but will the team you build NOW be just as good as the team LATER? Nashville tries for a balance. Roster up to 46 million and use the extra 2 million for a trade for a playoff push.
Well alright, I'm sure you're more familiar with Nashville's philosophies than I'll ever be. As an aside, I really do admire Nashville as a franchise. They remind me a lot of the pre-Melnyk Sens, always on a shoestring budget but still able to stay competitive. I think they've got great fans and I'm really glad their ownership situation got worked out, I think hockey can be a great fit in Nashville and longterm they can become one of the premier teams in this league. You'll always have at least one hockey fan up in Canada pulling for you.

Zillaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:01 PM
  #35
Dick Whitman
Registered User
 
Dick Whitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Problem is that his deal is longer than just this year and his contract might prevent things like the extension of the younger foundational players. Nashville is a defensive minded team and they build like a baseball team, from the middle out. (Goal, defense, centers) Nashville's philosophy does not support expensive wingers. Anything is possible with numbers but will the team you build NOW be just as good as the team LATER? Nashville tries for a balance. Roster up to 46 million and use the extra 2 million for a trade for a playoff push.
Heatley becomes your forward foundation. He's one of the best left wingers in hockey. It's not like he's only a cap burden or anything. You know what people will be thinking about Haetley's contract in 3 seasons? "I hope we can re-sign him" and not "Thank god his contract is up".

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.