HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stuck between flex choice...

Old
06-11-2009, 01:12 AM
XxLidstromxX

vCash: 500
Stuck between flex choice...

So i have another thread about stick curve, and this is about my flex for that stick...
What should be good for me? I'm 6'2 207lbs. I play defense, so yea...
I kno that a lot of hockey players use 87, and personally i think that is kinda flimsy and im afraid i might break it... I take slap shots frequently, so im kinda stuck...

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:21 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLidstromxX View Post
So i have another thread about stick curve, and this is about my flex for that stick...
What should be good for me? I'm 6'2 207lbs. I play defense, so yea...
I kno that a lot of hockey players use 87, and personally i think that is kinda flimsy and im afraid i might break it... I take slap shots frequently, so im kinda stuck...
You really should use 100-105 if you're taking slappers. Maybe 110 if you're on the strong side.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 02:04 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
You really should use 100-105 if you're taking slappers. Maybe 110 if you're on the strong side.
Agreed. If you think the flex is too light for you, don't get that flex. You're a pretty big guy, you should not be using a stick built for an average player.

100 or 110 for you. The 100 will be easier to find though.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:17 AM
XxLidstromxX

k thanks guys

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:38 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I agree with everyone else in here. I play defense as well but am 5'11 180 and I use an 87. You've got a few inches and a good 25lbs on me, so I would definitely up it to at least 100.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:05 PM
190Octane

I'm 5'9 220 and I use a 100-110 flex for roller hockey... I take a lot of slap shots though and noticed that my slap shot suffered and every shot I was taking was flying over the cross bar when I was using the 85-87 flex stick. When I switched to a heavier flex my shot got faster, my passing and receiving of passes was a lot more crisp and I keep my shot down under the cross bar (that might have more to do with altering my follow through though too).

It really is personal preference but it sounds like you should be using a 100 flex.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:12 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Yeah, I only get away with using an 87 (which I love for wristers and passing) because I'm not heavy enough to have to worry about breaking them too often on my slapper.

Old
06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
Yeah, I only get away with using an 87 (which I love for wristers and passing) because I'm not heavy enough to have to worry about breaking them too often on my slapper.
I'm actually pretty easy on my sticks and haven't broken very many of them on shots for some reason (except those damn warriors). I might not be getting enough torque on my shots but I beat goalies with unscreened slappers pretty often and I know the technique is decent with the way the puck spins coming off my blade.

Old
06-11-2009, 12:28 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I've broken my share but not too many. Usually they'll break on a slapper after I've had the stick for a while. I guess I'm not heavy enough to break a perfectly good stick with my slapshot, but once it has some wear and has endured the stress of a few hundred I usually see it snap right at the flex point. Still, I get a nice whippy shot with the 87 flex and the sticks tend to last long enough to keep me happy so I won't be changing anything. Plus having the 87 for when I get to creep in for a quick wrister from the dot or join the rush is a godsend. And I find it helps when you want to put some sauce on a pass.

Old
06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

I am 5'11 170 and I have a 110 flex. I have never had a slap shot (just couldn't get it) so I don't really use it. I have a good wrist and snap shot. I play forward so the slapper isn't crucial for me. I just haven't ever been able to lift my slap shot consistently

Last edited by TheGooooch: 06-26-2009 at 06:19 PM.
TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:40 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I am 5'11 170 and I have a 110 flex. I have never had a slap shot (just couldn't get it) so I don't really use it. I have a good wrist and snap shot. I play forward so the slapper isn't crucial for me. I just haven't ever been able to lift my slap shot consistently
Wow. I'd wager you could add a LOT of mustard to your wrister/snapper by going down in flex a lot. You're lighter than me and using a much stiffer stick AND you don't take slapshots. Guaranteed you could use an 87 and get more velocity on your shots.

Old
06-11-2009, 12:41 PM
190Octane

Quote:
I've broken my share but not too many. Usually they'll break on a slapper after I've had the stick for a while. I guess I'm not heavy enough to break a perfectly good stick with my slapshot, but once it has some wear and has endured the stress of a few hundred I usually see it snap right at the flex point. Still, I get a nice whippy shot with the 87 flex and the sticks tend to last long enough to keep me happy so I won't be changing anything. Plus having the 87 for when I get to creep in for a quick wrister from the dot or join the rush is a godsend. And I find it helps when you want to put some sauce on a pass.
Flex is definitely personal preference. My original post in this thread was to the OP.

If you post at modsquad I know you've probably tried 30 different sticks at least like I have.

Old
06-11-2009, 12:42 PM
190Octane

Quote:
I find it amazing that you're using a 110 flex and have a bad slap shot but good wrister and snapper, typically it goes the other way with that high of a flex.

Old
06-11-2009, 12:43 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I've certainly gone through a vast sampling of sticks in my day. I didn't mean to be interpeted as arguing with you or disagreeing or anything of the sort; I was just throwing in my 2 cents since I love talking about this stuff.

Old
06-11-2009, 12:45 PM
190Octane

Quote:
I've certainly gone through a vast sampling of sticks in my day. I didn't mean to be interpeted as arguing with you or disagreeing or anything of the sort; I was just throwing in my 2 cents since I love talking about this stuff.
No problem, I just wanted to make sure that you knew I wasn't suggesting you should try a 100 flex, just the OP.

Old
06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Wow. I'd wager you could add a LOT of mustard to your wrister/snapper by going down in flex a lot. You're lighter than me and using a much stiffer stick AND you don't take slapshots. Guaranteed you could use an 87 and get more velocity on your shots.
I have a couple of sticks but that one seems to be the most consistent for me. But it is my only Sakic curve and I like that curve more than any other. Maybe I should get a lower flex Sakic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
I find it amazing that you're using a 110 flex and have a bad slap shot but good wrister and snapper, typically it goes the other way with that high of a flex.
Something is wrong in my mechanics. I have a good snap and I have a good pseudo slap shot (half wind up but keep skating forward and leave my weight on my back foot). Something about the whole wind up and everything just throws me off.

Old
06-11-2009, 12:51 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Something is wrong in my mechanics. I have a good snap and I have a good pseudo slap shot (half wind up but keep skating forward and leave my weight on my back foot). Something about the whole wind up and everything just throws me off.
How good of a skater are you? Whenever I play ice my slapshot is horrid and I almost fall over every time while taking it yet when I play roller I'm a much better skater and I can boom it pretty good. The biggest thing about a slap shot is your leg and core strength and if you're off balance you aren't putting any power into the shot.

Old
06-11-2009, 12:59 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How good of a skater are you? Whenever I play ice my slapshot is horrid and I almost fall over every time while taking it yet when I play roller I'm a much better skater and I can boom it pretty good. The biggest thing about a slap shot is your leg and core strength and if you're off balance you aren't putting any power into the shot.
I roller blade well and just started ice. Played roller since I was a kid. I don't even have a slap shot in roller.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Kunitziwa

Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
I am 6' 216 and i use a 100 flex stick, I used to use an 87 and had a pretty good wrister with it, but now with the 100 my clapper is a bit better, snap shot i dont think has changed to much, at least not noticeably. its a different feel and will take a couple games to get used to but i'll never go back. 5 out of the 6 or 7 one pieces I've broken have been on one timers. one was a freak accident (got stuck in the boards)

Kunitziwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Kunitziwa

Quote:
after you follow through on a slap shot your weight should be on your front foot. weight transfer is a lot of what helps you get good power behind your shot. also are you hitting the ice a couple of inches before the puck with your slap shots? that will help as well.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:13 PM
190Octane

Quote:
I roller blade well and just started ice. Played roller since I was a kid. I don't even have a slap shot in roller.
That's interesting... it's not an issue of balance then. I got my shot from shooting an ice hockey puck on my driveway into my garage door. It definitely is all about technique and practice when it comes to slappers.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staalin87 View Post
after you follow through on a slap shot your weight should be on your front foot. weight transfer is a lot of what helps you get good power behind your shot. also are you hitting the ice a couple of inches before the puck with your slap shots? that will help as well.
Quote:
That's interesting... it's not an issue of balance then. I got my shot from shooting an ice hockey puck on my driveway into my garage door. It definitely is all about technique and practice when it comes to slappers.
I am just doing something wrong. I get good power but it is always low. I might just have the puck too far back in my stance I suppose. Once I tried this little pseudo snap shot that I am talking about I was able to do those and lift them fine, but I was closer to the net and more relaxed.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:26 PM
190Octane

Quote:
I am just doing something wrong. I get good power but it is always low. I might just have the puck too far back in my stance I suppose. Once I tried this little pseudo snap shot that I am talking about I was able to do those and lift them fine, but I was closer to the net and more relaxed.
If you want to get the puck in the air, I would suggest turning your wrists like the wrist shot and also a higher follow through.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:59 PM
noobman

The OP doesn't really need to worry about being strong enough to break an 87 flex stick.

It really just depends on how "whippy" you like your stick. At 6'2 190lb I prefer a 100 flex. I find my shots a little difficult to control w/ an 87 flex... though I'll be the first to tell you that I have a terrible shot (decent accuracy but no power).

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Kunitziwa

Quote:
I misread I thought you were having power issues, however if the puck is more towards your back foot it will keep the puck low...but as someone said earlier you want low hard shots from the point, its safer for everyone (unless its competitive and everyone is wearing a cage) and easier to tip/redirect. try moving the puck a little more forward in your stance.also where do you hit the puck on your stick? heel middle toe?