HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gretzky: Do you want him coaching the team next season?

View Poll Results: Do you want Wayne back as head coach?
Yes, I'd like to see him behind our bench again next season. 44 29.14%
No, I want a new head coach. 107 70.86%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-07-2009, 01:40 PM
yakko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
Plus, GTO's payout is a big part of what is important right now.
No, it really isn't and I still do not buy that Gretzky is making that salary just to be the coach.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
No, it really isn't and I still do not buy that Gretzky is making that salary just to be the coach.

I get that! Of course he's not.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
DesertDawg

It's starting to look like that Gretzky ran the franchise into the ground. From 5th in the west to picking 6th in the draft... I wonder... It would explain alot... For the love of the sport, to tank, just to justify the bankruptcy, getting his money and running instead of pulling in the playoff money and try to be a good coach. It just seems to be too much of a coincidence that he will be getting that much. Francis did more for the franchise than Gretzky did with alot less...
IMO what a fall from grace... and the league needs to investigate TGO...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:11 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
It's starting to look like that Gretzky ran the franchise into the ground. ...
Yep, he collected his 6 mil a year as a losing coach while the franchise bled to death.

Old
05-07-2009, 02:26 PM
yakko

Quote:
I get that! Of course he's not.
Quote:
Yep, he collected his 6 mil a year as a losing coach while the franchise bled to death.
Then quit pushing on it and talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Quote:
It's starting to look like that Gretzky ran the franchise into the ground. From 5th in the west to picking 6th in the draft... I wonder... It would explain alot... For the love of the sport, to tank, just to justify the bankruptcy, getting his money and running instead of pulling in the playoff money and try to be a good coach. It just seems to be too much of a coincidence that he will be getting that much. Francis did more for the franchise than Gretzky did with alot less...
Really? Did you decide this before or after the aliens abducted you?

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
If Gretzky has the ability to single handedly and purposley take the team from 5th in the conference to 6th worst in the league in less than half a season he is a helluva a lot better at his job than any of you give him credit for.

Listen, he's owed the money because he negotiated a sweet deal for himself because at the beginning he didn't really want to do it. After he became involved he liked it enough to keep going but only if he was assured it would be with owners he knew and nowhere else but Phoenix.

Does he end up being very well taken care of? Absolutely, but that doesn't in any way take away from the fact he is very passionate about the game and that he's shown over a very long period of time that he's a forthright and well respected person. He just doesn't appear to be a very good coach.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
If Gretzky has the ability to single handedly and purposley take the team from 5th in the conference to 6th worst in the league in less than half a season he is a helluva a lot better at his job than any of you give him credit for.

Listen, he's owed the money because he negotiated a sweet deal for himself because at the beginning he didn't really want to do it. After he became involved he liked it enough to keep going but only if he was assured it would be with owners he knew and nowhere else but Phoenix.

Does he end up being very well taken care of? Absolutely, but that doesn't in any way take away from the fact he is very passionate about the game and that he's shown over a very long period of time that he's a forthright and well respected person. He just doesn't appear to be a very good coach.
Can't argue with any of that.

Old
05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
zz

Quote:
You've GOT to me kidding me...

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:54 PM
RR

Dallas fired Tippett today. Good candidate to replace Gretzky?

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:28 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
add him to the list..

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
I would love to have him. But with all this ownership and relocation nonsense going on, I'm having a hard time looking positevely at things.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:17 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I would say that he's a better option than Gretzky but not a better option than a great many of other potential candidates. I don't really see Tippett as a good fit, here. Then again, I can't imagine a replacement I wouldn't prefer to "Wayne-O The Clown".

The rumor is tha Niewy is actually going to hire Crow to take the reigns. So we may have some competition for next draft's number one overall pick, afterall.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:47 AM
knowsthegame

If Jerry Moyes is being charged with mismanagement of the team (and I believe he did)
then Wayne was not only a terrible coach, but his title should have been "mismanaging partner"
He didn't manage at all- and now he is in hiding waiting the outcome of whether he gets his 22.5 million for all his hard work in building a successful winning team. The Gretsky deal was Moyes biggest mistake.

Old
06-11-2009, 11:06 AM
zz

Quote:
He didn't manage at all- and now he is in hiding waiting the outcome of whether he gets his 22.5 million for all his hard work in building a successful winning team.
Gretzky has stated publicly he supports the team staying in AZ. He knows very well this would probably mean losing those $ 22.5 M. He also hasn't touched a dime yet for last season.

I'm as frustrated as you are about Gretzky's contract. But let's not get overboard either.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:39 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Gretzky has stated publicly he supports the team staying in AZ. He knows very well this would probably mean losing those $ 22.5 M. He also hasn't touched a dime yet for last season.

I'm as frustrated as you are about Gretzky's contract. But let's not get overboard either.
Sorry, I must have missed Gretsky saying that. The only thing I heard him say was that he wasn't interested in moving back to Ontario or coaching there.
He stands to get the most money with the Balsille deal. He would get his $22.5 mil and wouldn't have to coach.
I'm not suggesting that it's Gretsky's fault that he signed TGO -"the great offer"
I'm saying that Moyes was out of his mind making such a horrible deal.