HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Halak

Old
06-11-2009, 08:35 AM
waitin425

vCash: 500
Halak

Now that Philly has signed Emery and signs are pointing towards Biron leaving the Flyers. I would like to see Montreal sign Biron, leaving them the ability to trade Halak. I think Biron is no longer a starting goalie, but could be a solid backup for Price.

What would Montreal get for Halak, assuming that they pickup Biron?

Here is one proposal;

To Atl: Halak
To Mtl: Angelo Esposito, 3rd rounder in 2010

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
Now that Philly has signed Emery and signs are pointing towards Biron leaving the Flyers. I would like to see Montreal sign Biron, leaving them the ability to trade Halak. I think Biron is no longer a starting goalie, but could be a solid backup for Price.

Here is one proposal;

Interesting.....

Do people remember that draft when everyone thought Angelo Esposito was going to end up in Mon and he was passed by the Habs?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Octavius
Next #18?

vCash: 424
Why would Atlanta trade for Halak, when they have two good goalies in Lehtonen and Pavelec and will probably trade one away?

I still believe the best place for him would be Philly. He is signed cheap for next year and would push Emery to do his best and if Emery folds they have a capable starting goalie.
He would go for something like
Halak for Lupul+
or
Halak+ for JVR

And I would rather have Roloson than Biron. Biron wants around 5 mil/year and it would be stupid to pay your backup that amount.
Roloson would be cheaper and would be a great tutor for Price, plus is capable of playing as a #1.

Octavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Kencaid

I don't know if Biron would be willing to sign as a backup, and even if he did he would be an expensive backup at that. If i was MTL i would keep both price and halak and GIVE HALAK MORE STARTS. I watched him play a few times this year with 40ish saves a game.....thats ridiculous, the fact he keeps getting put under Jesus Price is astonishing. Price has more potential imo, but why doesnt Halak get more starts?? Halak only seems to start when Price becomes terrible, then halak will play amazing for a few games, have one bad game and then get replaced, i would think rotating the two goalies would work best for the habs.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:53 AM
OneSharpMarble

I would like Montreal to not sign Biron, leave Esposito where ever he is and keep Halak, thanks for playing. YUCK

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Why would Atlanta do this?

Makes no sense.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Halak's value is tricky to gauge.

While he's shown flashes and may be a capable #1 goalie, given the chance. He's never been given the chance. So any interested team would have to take a gamble that his flashes of brilliance could be extended over a longer string of games.

Trade value is relative to the interested team. Some teams may consider him a sure fire #1 guy. Maybe they'd offer a 2nd rounder or a good prospect. Other teams, probably not so much (Like Atlanta, who've lit him up a couple of times). I see his value on a scale:

most interested teams - 2nd rounder/very good prospect (potentially more if they really want him)
other teams - will bid on Biron, Fernandez, etc...

Halak would be a cheaper alternative to the guys on the market but teams want to balance any cap savings against the cost it would take to acquire him.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:16 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post

While he's shown flashes and may be a capable #1 goalie, given the chance. He's never been given the chance. So any interested team would have to take a gamble that his flashes of brilliance could be extended over a longer string of games.

Trade value is relative to the interested team. Some teams may consider him a sure fire #1 guy. Maybe they'd offer a 2nd rounder or a good prospect. Other teams, probably not so much (Like Atlanta, who've lit him up a couple of times). I see his value on a scale:

most interested teams - 2nd rounder/very good prospect (potentially more if they really want him)
other teams - will bid on Biron, Fernandez, etc...

Halak would be a cheaper alternative to the guys on the market but teams want to balance any cap savings against the cost it would take to acquire him.

Halak SHould get you more then a second especilay to a team looking for goaltendind and cap issue. He is a good goalie with starter potentila. Good attitude, this past year proved that he is tuff mental. Came up big 2 years ago just to lose to the Leaf(huet came back from injury) and failed to make the playoff.

He could bolster up a package that could land you a top 6 forward in my mind. But to settle for a 2nd......
It's fair value but no need to do that.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
I think you pretty much nailed it though. 2nd round pick at best. Or marginal role player that a team is willing to dump. He has promise, but the bottom line is he hasn't proven anything yet. And there are lots of young goalies who have promise. Teams which truly have a need at the position will be looking first to fill it via the FA market. Or by picking up somebody with experience per the Emery/Giguere avenues. They won't do it by giving up anything of value for Halak.

In which case, the Habs can't trade Halak. He's worth more to the team and more as a medium-term asset than that. So the only solution for the Habs is to keep him, let him continue to progress, and wait until his situation or the team's changes. And it's a perfectly good solution, IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
Why would Atlanta trade for Halak, when they have two good goalies in Lehtonen and Pavelec and will probably trade one away?

I still believe the best place for him would be Philly. He is signed cheap for next year and would push Emery to do his best and if Emery folds they have a capable starting goalie.
He would go for something like
Halak for Lupul+
or
Halak+ for JVR

And I would rather have Roloson than Biron. Biron wants around 5 mil/year and it would be stupid to pay your backup that amount.
Roloson would be cheaper and would be a great tutor for Price, plus is capable of playing as a #1.
JVR? For who, some young goalie with a little promise?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Halak SHould get you more then a second especilay to a team looking for goaltendind and cap issue. He is a good goalie with starter potentila. Good attitude, this past year proved that he is tuff mental. Came up big 2 years ago just to lose to the Leaf(huet came back from injury) and failed to make the playoff.

He could bolster up a package that could land you a top 6 forward in my mind. But to settle for a 2nd......
It's fair value but no need to do that.
I don't necessarily disagree with you (about Halak being a fine looking long G), but teams needing a G can sign one without lossing assets on the UFA market (Philly - KHL). Also there's the Swede, and lots of other alternatives (Khabby, Biron, Fernandez, Anderson etc...).

I think his value is raising (the more games he looks like a #1 guy the prettier we sit)... but we can afford to wait it out, hope he maximizes his trade value (before UFA status), or overtakes Price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
He's worth more to the team and more as a medium-term asset than that. So the only solution for the Habs is to keep him, let him continue to progress, and wait until his situation or the team's changes. And it's a perfectly good solution, IMHO.
It seems this and the Simmonds thread are making the same point (value is more to home club than would be feasibile for any club to consider offering).

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post

Here is one proposal;

ofc atlanta does this, it's not like the trashers are loaded with goalies or anything

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Halak for Ryder and a 2nd. Replaces Fernandez while Rask spends another year throwing chairs in the Dunkin Donuts center.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Halak for Ryder and a 2nd. Replaces Fernandez while Rask spends another year throwing chairs in the Dunkin Donuts center.
I wouldn't take Ryder and a 2nd for him, actually. Ryder was a decent player for us, but replaceable and his salary doesn't appeal. We'd still need a backup goalie, and I don't think we'd find a better combination of potential and cost effectiveness than Halak. So no thanks.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Twas a joke. Remember the Halak Ryder and a 2nd threads?

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
OilerzFRLife

oilers are shopping a cheap goaltender around 2 or 3 mil halak would be a solid pickup although theres a good chance they could acquire heatley so cap space is limited. oilers have lots of prospects they could throw at hte habs. eberle probably a middle of the pack 1st round pick or petry or chorney..... lots of good players availalbe.

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:30 PM
jcbio11

IMO, Halak is a better goalie than Price. Both now and in the future. He's not pure butterfly and relies on reflexes. In my mind, a goalie relieng less on dropping down on every shot means a more durable better goalie (Brodeur plays like trillion games a year for like 20th year now or whatever, if he was a pure butterfly, he'd be broken into two parts by now) That said, his trade value is really low right now. He can't really be judged according to the very few games he gets to play in the NHL and this makes him incredibly hard for Montreal to sell for something meaningfull. I don't know what Montreal management wants to do with him, but I somehow get the idea that they don't count with him as their number one. I can see Halak signing a contract after this one in some bottom feeding contract and slowly work his way up with the team, he'll be getting better as the team gets better and when he's ready, the team will be ready for som nice cup runs.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote