HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You play GM for July 1st

Old
06-10-2009, 07:57 PM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
I would of course like Sully and Ward back. And I know ill take flak but IF deVries would take a huge paycut down to 750k-1m a year I would have him be our 6/7th d-man. For free agents I would sign Fedenteko and have him and Ward battle it out for a spot on the 2nd line and the other one take the 3rd line.

Sully - Arnott - Dumont
Ward - Legwand - Erat
Fedetenko - Wilson - Jones
Tootoo - Smithson - Pihlstrom
Belak

Weber - Suter
Hamhuis - Klein
Franson - Sulzer
deVries

We manage to keep the same level of defense as last year and our bottom 2 lines offense is upgraded and no huge changes in chemistry.
Yes to Fedetenko, Ward on the third line and you need a better d core.

D= Weber-Suter
Hamhuis- Upgrade from Zanon
Klein- Upgrade from Koisty and Devo
Sulzer

If you put the team that you have above then you end up with about the same result...NO PLAYOFFS and a 9th place finish. Wilson SHOULD be an upgrade to BONK/NICHOL/FIDDLER but maybe not too.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Yes to Fedetenko, Ward on the third line and you need a better d core.

D= Weber-Suter
Hamhuis- Upgrade from Zanon
Klein- Upgrade from Koisty and Devo
Sulzer

If you put the team that you have above then you end up with about the same result...NO PLAYOFFS and a 9th place finish. Wilson SHOULD be an upgrade to BONK/NICHOL/FIDDLER but maybe not too.
Our defense was outstanding last year and really I would probably roll with the same core but throw in Sulzer over Devo. Considering Zanon wants the money I move up Klein and hope Sulzer can play and maybe DeVries will take a price cut and be a 6th dman.

Our offense will always have to be just good enough because it costs a lot of money. With Sullivan last year it was just that. With Ward and Jones knowing now what they can and cant do helped as well. Adding a player like Fedotenko who can pretty much do it all will also be a big help for when the inevitable injuries hit.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 04:18 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

BFC said on the NP.com boards that our de facto salary cap to qualify for full revenue sharing is $48.7M. With that cap in mind, this is the team I came up with:

Dan Ellis to Colorado for Marek Svatos: $350k
Nik Antropov - 4 years, $16M
Erik Cole - 3 years, $12M
Ken Klee - 1 year, $700k
Yann Danis - 1 year, $650k
Ryan Jones (RFA) - 1 year, $1.1M
Antti Pihlström (RFA) - 2 years, $1.2M

Antropov-Arnott-Dumont
Cole-Legwand-Erat
Jones-Wilson/O'Reilly-Svatos
Pihlström-Smithson-Tootoo
Belak

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Blum
Klein-Sulzer
Klee

Rinne
Danis

Approximate Total Salary: $48.4M

The only really big assumption here is that Cole is willing to play for his cap number from his previous contract.

The biggest weaknesses with this squad are at that #4 defense spot with the unproven Blum, the #3 center position which is entirely dependent on one of Wilson and O'Reilly being ready to take the spot out of camp, and goaltender, which is slightly mitigated by the signing of Danis, who performed remarkably well in front of the atrocious Islanders late in the season, who will effectively be a buffer to the backup job for Dekanich while he develops for one more year.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 04:26 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
BFC said on the NP.com boards that our de facto salary cap to qualify for full revenue sharing is $48.7M. With that cap in mind, this is the team I came up with:

Ken Klee - 1 year, $700k

Antropov-Arnott-Dumont
Cole-Legwand-Erat
Belak

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Blum
Klein-Sulzer
Klee

Rinne
Danis

The only really big assumption here is that Cole is willing to play for his cap number from his previous contract.

The biggest weaknesses with this squad are at that #4 defense spot with the unproven Blum, the #3 center position which is entirely dependent on one of Wilson and O'Reilly being ready to take the spot out of camp, and goaltender, which is slightly mitigated by the signing of Danis, who performed remarkably well in front of the atrocious Islanders late in the season, who will effectively be a buffer to the backup job for Dekanich while he develops for one more year.

Here's the problem with that. Poile always shorts the team 2 million for call ups and a trade deadline deal. Last year the Preds had nearly 2 million dollars in call ups alone for the real number is closer to 46 Million.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 04:44 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Here's the problem with that. Poile always shorts the team 2 million for call ups and a trade deadline deal. Last year the Preds had nearly 2 million dollars in call ups alone for the real number is closer to 46 Million.
In that case, trade Ellis for picks and re-sign Ward at $1.25M in Svatos' spot. I see the seventh defense spot as what essentially boils down to a free call-up, so factor that in and you've got around $2.2M in recall leeway.

I initially wanted to sign Cole for $3.5M, to add some extra wiggle room for the very reason you mentioned, but I'm not sure that's high enough to lure Cole to Music City.

If there's any possible way we can swing it, we need to push hard for Antropov AND Cole. Both bring a combination of size, skill, grit, and work ethic that are exactly what this team needs in the top six. Cole would look great alongside Legwand and Erat, and Antropov might be able to show Arnott how to throw a check.

Old
06-11-2009, 04:48 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

I really like this deal Worst and I think you are on to something. It would fit Nashville's needs and Colorado's

This one I like too but you gave me an idea from a mock draft we did. Try and make a deal with Boston for Marco Strum. He's value in Boston is down because of injury and at 3.5 Million would be slightly cheaper than Antropov.

Ken Klee - 1 year, $700k

Based on the rules for RFA offers. Ryan would be at $1.033 Million

With the same rules above, the min. would be about 650 K but I could see Nashville offering more.

Antropov-Arnott-Dumont
Cole-Legwand-Erat
Belak

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Blum
Klein-Sulzer
Klee

Rinne
Danis

Cole is the over kill on the salary. This is why I think Nashville is not going to sign any defenseman and cycle Laasko and Franson. I think Blum stays in the minors for a year to build up weight. The only way I see Nashville signing a defenseman is if they sign Zanon and/or DeVries for a sign and trade to another team.
FWIW

Old
06-11-2009, 05:11 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
FWIW
IATI.

The Jones and Pihlström numbers were ballpark figures because I have a hard time adding percentages off the top of my head. They about balance each other out, though.

Good catch on Sturm, I hadn't given him much thought. A lineup with Svatos, Ward, and Sturm would probably look like this:

Svatos-Arnott-Dumont
Sturm-Legwand-Erat
Jones-Wilson/O'Reilly-Ward
Belak

... which is certainly respectable and can be competitive while spending less money. I'm also open to the possibility of putting Spaling in the lineup ahead of Smithson if he shows he's ready to handle a checking role at this level, and having Smithson ride pine (which would tickle me to no end).

On defense, I see no harm in signing Klee at <$1M. He's grizzled, he likes to hit, he's good in his own zone, and he has a chance to play his 1,000th game in a Predators uniform. What's not to like? Sure, he's getting a bit slower with age, but he actually brings a physical presence, unlike "Reach-Around" De Vries, so his game compensates for its inherent weakness/es, and he won't be playing more than 15 minutes a night unless we have a rash of injuries on the blue line. I'd love to see the old bat close out his career with us.

Furthermore, I think Blum makes the team out of camp solely on his mobility if he comes in over 180. His defensive game is much better than Franson's (who I would consider moving in that deal for Sturm) and I think Lääkso could use one more year or part of a year in Milwaukee, and we bring him up next year. A Zanon/Devo sign-and-swap makes no sense for the other team, since they could just sign either one on the open market in 20 days.

Old
06-11-2009, 06:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Agreed. But I think Franson's offensive skill might make a great pairing with Hamhuis. Hamhuis needs an offensive d-man to pair with him. If you think that's Klein ok then trade Franson and see what you can get with the kid. If you can get Strum without losing Franson I would do it.

Old
06-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I like Svatos. The kid has amazing hands and is fearless when it comes to shooting and going into high percentage shooting areas. However, he is extremely injury prone, and when he isn't scoring, he isn't worth very much. He kind of reminds me of Max. Afinogenov in that way. The two have different sets of skills, but both go through long periods of complete suckitude on their current teams. I suspect both need a change of scenery to be more consistent. Colorado's coaching change may do wonders for Svatos if he remains with that team.

06-12-2009, 03:20 AM
dulzhok

#1) Get a real scoring threat. Will likely have to trade for it. (Heatley, Bergeron, Kessell).

#2) Get Radulov to come back. At the very least, to trade him. At the best, to get another scoring threat.

#3) Trade Hamhuis if he doesn't sign a reasonable contract extension (3m or less). We can't afford to lose him for nothing next offseason. Use as trade bait for #1

#4) Trade away one of our 2nd tier "scorers" to make salary room for #1 (Legwand, Erat, Dumont). Listed in order of preference.

#5) Sign Sullivan. But, he will only sign if he sees us become competitive (see #1-5).

#6) Give an extension to Rinne.

#7) Sign atleast one decent UFA Dman. Our young D are our strength, yet we surround them with younger, more inexperienced D. Thus, making our overall D average.

#8) Hope Poile grows to **** to do #1-7

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:13 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
IATI.
A Zanon/Devo sign-and-swap makes no sense for the other team, since they could just sign either one on the open market in 20 days.
Yeah but if you are a team who wants Zanon BADLY, you are willing to make a deal. It could be something as simple as Zanon and a 3rd for the other team's 2nd? Nashville loses nothing and gains another 2nd which could be moved for a player. But let's say Nashville does this, trades for Svatos and Strum and there still is the Sully situation. Could Nashville:

A) Trade HIM in a sign and trade to another team or,

B) Convince Sully to sign a low ball deal and play for this team?