HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Speeding ticket in NY state

Old
06-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Habsolutely

vCash: 500
OT - Speeding ticket in NY state

I got a speeding ticket from a trooper in NY state. I was driving 10mph above the limit.
He gave me a ticket with no amount on it, told me to send it by mail to some address in NY, then to expect the actual fine to be sent to me to my address.

He was able to access my driving file and see that it is clean and that I have all my points.

My questions are : What happens if I don't mail the fine and follow the process ?
And am I going to lose points on my Quebec driving license ?

Thanks,

Habsolutely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Kriss E

If you don't pay, nothing will happen unless you cross the border back to US if I'm not mistaken.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:22 PM
TomPlex

1) You don't LOSE points, you GAIN points.
2) You gain points from tickets in NY.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Turboflex*

just curious, what speed were u driving on what kind of road?

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

same thing for me, but i was 55 km over the limit

the letter will come, you can pay online.

if u dont pay, you can be arrested if you get stopped in the state of NY, and you lose points here.

i think mine was something like 250$ for speeding then charged like 200$ fee, so about 500$ down the drain.

have fun with that

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
same thing for me, but i was 55 km over the limit

the letter will come, you can pay online.

if u dont pay, you can be arrested if you get stopped in the state of NY, and you lose points here.

i think mine was something like 250$ for speeding then charged like 200$ fee, so about 500$ down the drain.

have fun with that
450$ Matthew, 450$

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisaurus View Post
450$ Matthew, 450$
eh, i know

wasnt exactly thinking of mathematical correctness.

it was closer to 500$ tho.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolutely View Post
I got a speeding ticket from a trooper in NY state. I was driving 10mph above the limit.
He gave me a ticket with no amount on it, told me to send it by mail to some address in NY, then to expect the actual fine to be sent to me to my address.

He was able to access my driving file and see that it is clean and that I have all my points.

My questions are : What happens if I don't mail the fine and follow the process ?
And am I going to lose points on my Quebec driving license ?

Thanks,
The exact same thing happened to me last summer. I was on summer vacation with my wife and was going 73MPH in a 55MPH zone. The trooper gave me a ticket and told me I had to send my plea to the address he wrote down on the ticket (some county courthouse)....I would then be issued the amount of the fine (differs by county). He also told me if I don't do anything in the next 30 days, it would be treated the same as a guilty plea. He also said my license would be suspended in the state of NY as soon as I plead guilty or the 30 days are up.

When I got home, I realized that my driver's license had my previous mailing address on it and so of course my old address was also written on my ticket. I sent a guilty plea and added a note that my address has changed and gave them my new address. I never ever heard back from them. I'm not sure if they ignored my note and sent it to my old address or what happened. As I mentioned, this all happened last summer. I just won't ever drive in the state of NY....and if I'm ever traveling by car in the state of NY again, I'll just get my wife to do the driving.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Habsolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
just curious, what speed were u driving on what kind of road?
Highway in the Adirondack park.
Limit was 65mph, I was going at 83mph, but he put 75mph on the ticket because he saw that my file was clean.

Old
06-11-2009, 08:42 PM
RC51

Pay and do it fast.
This is the US we are talking about remember.
since 9/11 no trials, no lawyers, no Canadian Government help, you go right to Gitmo never to be seen again. Also I know that some prisoners that no country want's, are being sent to Area 51 for shipment to very far away places for wild sexual experimentation with some smallish, large eyed, gray looking things intent on a world take over.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Pay it,will save you a lot of problems next time you cross to the US

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:42 PM
MoonlightGraham

Happened to me last year, I was doing 80 on the Interstate (Limit 65). I pleaded guilty, they sent me a fine, I paid, and I lost 3 points on my licence. I actually found out I lost points on my Quebec licence just a month ago when I had to renew it. I went back to the US through the NY State customs about 6 months after that and had no problems. I think you should just pay the fine and get it over with, they have your address so you'd probably get in trouble if you don't pay.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:31 AM
CrazyShea

Not sure about N.Y state but you always challenge the ticket especially if you have a clean record. Yes you will have to go to small claim court but may never have to enter it. Before you see the judge they have someone that talks to you and tries to make you a deal before you go in and see the judge. My ticket was $350 and i would have lost up to 4 points i think but since my record was clean i only had to pay $50 and no points were taken. May be different in your situation but it should say on your ticket if you can contest it. If so i would recommend you explore that path

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Bunka Gurndeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post
Not sure about N.Y state but you always challenge the ticket especially if you have a clean record. Yes you will have to go to small claim court but may never have to enter it. Before you see the judge they have someone that talks to you and tries to make you a deal before you go in and see the judge. My ticket was $350 and i would have lost up to 4 points i think but since my record was clean i only had to pay $50 and no points were taken. May be different in your situation but it should say on your ticket if you can contest it. If so i would recommend you explore that path
Not a bad option but unfortunately he would have to attend court in NY. Would cost more in expenses to get there then it would be to pay the ticket.

Call the court office up and see who the prosecuteor is who will be handling your case. Plead with him that you're poor and whatever (give him the sob story). He should give you a plea bargin. If it's to your liking, take it. If not, say that it's still too much and he might go down once more. Take the second one or you'll be SOL.

Or you can just not pay the ticket and risk getting arrested in NY state or having to pay the fine plus late fees when you renew your licence.

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:26 AM
axman88

I got pulled over going 5 miles above the limit...he claimed i was going 15...i didn't have time to fight it...so i mailed it in...the fine was $150 US plus a fee of $50 US totalling $200US + i believe they took off 4 points....the points transfer over.

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Habsolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
I got pulled over going 5 miles above the limit...he claimed i was going 15...i didn't have time to fight it...so i mailed it in...the fine was $150 US plus a fee of $50 US totalling $200US + i believe they took off 4 points....the points transfer over.
Yay...that means that I am going to take 3 points, even though the same speed violation in Quebec would've cost me only 1 point...

Old
06-15-2009, 01:09 PM
zzoo

Long time ago (around 2001-2002), I got a speeding ticket in NY state. I drove roughly 70 mph in the zone of 55. Since I drove at night, I didn't notice that the limit is changed from 65 mph to 55.
When coming back to Montreal, I didn't pay the fine immediately. I waited till the last day, then I went to Police station near my house to inquire about how I can pay the fine. Back then, we couldn't pay online.
To my surprise, the Police officer told me that ticket is not a fine, it's rather asking me to present to the court in New York (the word 'court' may not be appropriate). Well, since the date going to court was same day, obviously I couldn't make it. And there's no specific amount to pay, so I simply skip it.

After that, I've gone to States through the borders many times without any problem. Last year, I was even stopped by the Police for the speeding again, but the officer has simply gave me a warning. The officer did check my driving licence.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote