HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Sather a moron?

View Poll Results: Is Sather a moron?
Yes 13 81.25%
No 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2009, 06:09 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Is Sather a moron?

Sorry to be blunt, but he is. I'm not here to complain about how he overpaid Gomez, Drury, or Redden, I'm here to talk about his cap management in general.

Let's assume for a moment that all three are worth their contracts. We all know they vastly overpaid, but let's just say they are not.

Sather still has us backed into a corner. The way Sather has managed the cap regardless of whether the players are worth it or not is appalling. What goes on in this guy's head that he has to keep buying up every big name free agent every summer? He's screwed us.

Overpaid or not, it doesn't matter. Suppose we replace Gomez, Drury, and Redden with Vinnie, Kovalchuk, and Lidstrom. All three of those guys are worth their contracts, right? We'd still be screwed due to the sheer number of high priced contracts we have.

And let's not forget, Naslund retired! Imagine how screwed we would be if he didnt! Did it not occur to Sather that, hmm, next year what are we going to do? Remember folks, at that point Sather had no idea Naslund would retire, yet, it still seemed like a great idea to sign him and Redden.

All I see from this guy year after year is a downward spiral for the worst. Every summer it's the same deal. Buy up free agents with little regard to the future. He's made us the laughing stock of the league!

For all the praise I hear about Sather not trading away our youth, he's mortgaging our future with our only other asset: our cap space.

He's not trading away our youth for the vets, he's making it impossible to re-sign them due to his horrible cap management.

So really, what goes through this guy's head summer after summer? Does he not think of our cap situation into the future? Does he just not care? What's this guy's deal?

Old
06-11-2009, 06:22 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Sather planned as though the cap would keep going up. He was wrong and it bit him in the ass.

Old
06-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Overpaid or not, it doesn't matter. Suppose we replace Gomez, Drury, and Redden with Vinnie, Kovalchuk, and Lidstrom. All three of those guys are worth their contracts, right? We'd still be screwed due to the sheer number of high priced contracts we have.
We would be one of the best teams with those three, however.

Old
06-11-2009, 06:32 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
We would be one of the best teams with those three, however.
But the point is that we still wouldn't be able to retain any of our youth.

Old
06-11-2009, 06:38 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

yes.

Old
06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Vitto79

I know this is 5 billion yrs ago now but he did run a great organization

yea yea Gretz, Mess,etc but he still had to do something right

so no not a dummy but he should be replaced

Old
06-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Sounds like you already know the answer to your poll.

Old
06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

9-0 feedback favoring yes so far

In doing trades, he's one of the best hockey minds around. In signing free agents, however, it's like giving a 5 year old a real gun to play a game of Russian Roulette.

Old
06-11-2009, 06:58 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Don't mean to be a dick but there seems to a new thread on this topic at least once a week.

Which player have the Rangers lost or haven't been able to re-sign due to the salary cap situation?

Don't say Mats Sundin because he was bust in Vancouver.

Everyone wants Gaborik or Heatley and if one of them became a Ranger and ultimately failed to live up to their billing, it's Sather's fault

Quote:
Heatley is hardly doing his reputation any good by asking for a trade because of a conflict with his coach Cory Clouston. He obviously seems more comfortable playing for guys like Craig Hartsburg and Bryan Murray who seemed to allow him to run his own program.

I like it when an NHL head coach does what he’s paid to do, which is to coach. Whether they be experienced or not, to have the guts to call out a star player when they under-perform is the type of coach I’d like to have around.

The last thing the Blues would need is a one dimensional player who may skate hard when he’s on a break or hitting the hole but hardly gives you the all around game you’d expect from a player earning major coin and who’s expected to be the team leader.

Sources close to Ottawa tell me Heatley isn’t in shape and he isn’t committed.

Sound like a $7.5 million dollar player to you?

Sounds to me like his trade demand may be a blessing in disguise for the Ottawa Senators.

Chances are whoever takes on Heatley may need to go through two or three Head Coach’s in the next five years just to satisfy their star player.

No one with their head screwed on straight would ever question Heatley’s ability to score or his offensive skillset. The guy is flat out deadly from the slot is truly one of the top pure goal scorers in the league. With that being said there is too much baggage (and Money) for a team like St. Louis to take on.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...k-Rats/5/21527

Old
06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Enough.