HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6 interested groups will table their offers today?

Old
06-10-2009, 10:08 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
i can only imagined the habs being sell to peladeau and on draft day peladeau annonce the habs 1st pick

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Ginoro

Depends on what he does with it, first I'd never go to the Bell center again, wouldn't buy their merchandise, now if he creates his own "Habs channel", forcing us to pay to watch the games, I think I'd rather just pay for NHL Center Ice and watch hockey in general more than ever, I don't think I'd be able to watch Habs games knowing that we have this owner who's only looking to make money out of it and control everything... His comment on the hiring of Jacques Martin is probably just the beginning of how he'd like to control just about everything...

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:14 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Vomit for a few days, then, in my weakened state, force myself to become a Penguin fan. Any other suggestions out there?
Become a Leaf fan? It'll go well with the vomit.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
NHLfan

Quebecor

I just do not want Quebecor to be the new owners. Why wait 2 weeks? I am totally against the creation of TVA sports. PKP seems arrogant. Is it the case?

NHLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Price4Prez

Why is everyoone so worried about Quebecor buying the team. It will never happen, so long as Molson is in the running to buy the team. When Gillett bought the team, it was on condition, that if ever he sold, Molson had "first dibs" on the team. Its a legally binding contract.

Molson will get the team( with financial backing of BCE). The Bell Centre will stay as is.Gainey will stay in place. But major personnel and player movement will be made.

RDS will keep team television rights. You will still pay 10 dollars for a beer. And unfortunately , Brunet will still colour commentate during games......

Price4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Not The One

Reading this thread is the first time I'm actually feeling good about Québécor possibly buying the Habs. Loosing a few overexited emo fans could be very very good for the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKing1987 View Post
This Peladeau mofo is only doin this for the $$$$ , not for the passion and the legacy of the team.
Yeah and GG is clearly it it for the passion and legacy. That's why he leveraged the hell out of the team to further expand his empire, and now has to sell a very profitable franchise posthaste to finance his other acquisitions. What a passionate guy!

Not The One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:16 PM
DaHabMan

id hope that a protest or a boycott of some sort would happen, but i'll be a habs fan till the end

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:20 PM
MathMan

So long as the owner finances the team well and knows enough to stay the hell away from hockey operations, I don't really care who they are.

I'm just worried that Quebecor will let the JdM's sports section manage the team. Well, fat chance of that with the employees locked out I guess, but you get my gist -- they may manage by following public opinion that is molded by sports journalists with agendas. This would result in unmitigated disaster.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:32 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

**** Gillett, why don't you sale Liverpool instead?!

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

I already said it: I would stop cheering for this team and just become a "neutral" hockey fan.

Péladeau as the owner would be another Tampa situation or really close to it.

Bobby Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:39 AM
davenash

I love the Habs with all my heart, and I have been for the last 22 years, but I hate Quebecor so much...man, I don't know what I'd do. There's actually a good chance I stopped cheering for this team, seriously.

davenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan View Post
What would be your reaction if Quebecor became the owners? Would it be a good thing? I personally do not want Quebecor as the owner. PKP`s reaction after Martin was hired left me a bad taste. Why wait 2 weeks?
The only suitable owners are either Gillette or even better the Molsons back in charge.

Quebecor would just ruin everything.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Kebekoi

Why not Molson family have the Canadiens and Quebecor/Labatt/RedBull/FTQ have the Nordiques? I bet Angelil would'nt want the Nordiques cause the Bell Center is more attractive for shows (MTL pop).

Montréal Canadiens
Québec Nordiques (TB)
Toronto Squared Heads*
Ottawa François Gagnons*
Hamilton Tigers (PHX)
Winnipeg Jets (NSH)
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Halifax? Fishermans (NYI)

There you have 10 canadians teams out of 30.

"My dream come true..."

Bettman would have nightmares thinking about that.

Last edited by Kebekoi: 06-11-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281480

Quote:
Two rival bids for the Montreal Canadiens emerged from business heavyweights on Wednesday -- one from three Molson brothers and the other from a consortium spearheaded by Quebecor Media
Quote:
Quebecor tabled a joint offer with the Solidarity Fund of the Quebec Federation of Labour and with a company owned by Rene Angelil, Celine Dion's husband and manager
Quote:
Paladeau "We therefore regard this as a golden opportunity for a Quebec group to return this grand institution to local ownership."
-Seems as though Paladeau has rethought the rhetoric he uses when expressing his rationale for being interested in the club. That's smart since fans were getting cold feet from this convergence talk.

I'm warming to the Quebecor-headed effort (I don't like that they're involved with that trade union, but hopefully that's a fairly small-ish association).

I think I'd be most happy if the Molson Family is awarded the franchise but I think Paladeau/Quebecor will not upset the apple cart too much, as evidenced by the new direction in their rationale. So in a nutshell, either way, just get it done soon.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281480

-Seems as though Paladeau has rethought the rhetoric he uses when expressing his rationale for being interested in the club. That's smart since fans were getting cold feet from this convergence talk.

I'm warming to the Quebecor-headed effort (I don't like that they're involved with that trade union, but hopefully that's a fairly small-ish association).

I think I'd be most happy if the Molson Family is awarded the franchise but I think Paladeau/Quebecor will not upset the apple cart too much, as evidenced by the new direction in their rationale. So in a nutshell, either way, just get it done soon.
I just hope Péladeau, Angélil, and the FTQ realize they respectively know about media, music, labor and they don't know **** about hockey. If ever they purchase the club, they need to stick to paying the bills and give free rein to a good hockey man at the helm. Please, for the love of Frank Selke, no Peddie/Tanenbaum going over Ferguson Jr.'s head situation in Montreal!!!

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:21 AM
HabsUnited

It really doesn't bother me as long as the team is given the ressources to do well. Being a Habs fan is so much bigger than whoever owns the team at a given time.

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 06-11-2009 at 08:44 AM.
HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:20 PM
SpezNc

The Molson group is just natural

I really like this article (sorry, it's in french)

http://www.ruefrontenac.com/jpdecari...-choix-logique

this is so true..

"Considérant les conditions extrêmement avantageuses que Molson a consenties à Gillett lorsqu’il a fait l’achat du Canadien – dont notamment une généreuse balance de vente qui n’a jamais été remboursée –, l’homme d’affaires américain n’a d’autres choix que de favoriser prioritairement ceux qui l’ont si gentiment mis à la barre d’une entreprise aujourd’hui convoitée comme jamais." JP DE CARI - Rue Frontenac

For PKP to win this case, i guess he need to REALLY OUTBID MOLSON.

I know that Gillett can sell to everyone he want BUT I think that he is a guy with strong values and he is going to sell to the Molson unless the Molson offer is really off the charts.

The transition would also be simplier with Molson rather than Quebecor.. It will almost be like BUSINESS AS USUAL.

My bet is for the Molson but i'm not Gillet so, everything can happen like to sell to Quebecor...

But I guess that Molson is the front runner. And a strong one...

and i'm very happy with that.

First, I DISLIKE QUEBECOR (quebecor chance was nine year ago, it's not for that that I dislike Quebecor, though).

The montreal Canadiens is an institution. I don't want this hockey club as a composante of a convergence plan.

J De MTL, TVA, VIDÉOTRON, LE CANADIENS... I hope not... but like I said I just don't see it coming...

Molson gonna win... I feel it...

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 02:09 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

s far we know 4 group if all report are true

quebecors
Molson
Grahem Roustan
Stephen Bronfman

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:39 PM
JudasPriced

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
It would really be the darkest day in Habs' history if Quebecor won the derby...

I think I would just stop watching hockey, it would hurt me too much to see all the efforts of the last couple of years wasted by a clown who thinks he knows everything better than anyone..
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Asterix is putting in a big for the habs?
Rene is Asterix! We're doomed! Quick everyone go buy some beer to support the Molson cause!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenash View Post
I love the Habs with all my heart, and I have been for the last 22 years, but I hate Quebecor so much...man, I don't know what I'd do. There's actually a good chance I stopped cheering for this team, seriously.
Not only that but NOT resigning Koivu very well may be the end of my Hab watching days. As an organization they should have class. This guy simply must retire with this team.

JudasPriced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:38 PM
DeadPool

Why all the venom on Quebecor?

The 2nd biggest Quebec corporation (after Power Co.) wants to buy the province's only major sports team and you people are *****ing about it.

I'm sorry for the Molson family but they SOLD this team a decade ago to an American businessman. We all know what happened to another Montreal franchise that was sold to an American interest. Thankfully, this one flourished (thanks to the 2002 run, which setup the whole ''WE LOVE THE HABS'' craziness of this decade). We were freaking lucky we didn't get a Loria.

Would anyone whine if Mike Bloomberg or Donald Trump bought the NY Rangers? Or if Mark Cuban would become owner of the Dallas Stars?

The biggest french-speaking media conglomerate in North-America would buy the most storied franchise in Hockey. Don't you think that company would do EVERYTHING in it's power to make that franchise the crown-jewel of it's empire.

I'd rather have the Habs in their hands then in the Molson (Who bailed once on us) or some Americans.

As for TVA-SPORTS, I'm sorry but RDS has a monopoly. TSN has Sportsnet, TSN-2 has The Score, competition is good. Why should 1 network run the whole Quebec Television sports scene? Another channel might give us some LHJMQ hockey, live Impact games etc...

DeadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool View Post
Why all the venom on Quebecor?

The 2nd biggest Quebec corporation (after Power Co.) wants to buy the province's only major sports team and you people are *****ing about it.
So?
Quote:
I'm sorry for the Molson family but they SOLD this team a decade ago to an American businessman. We all know what happened to another Montreal franchise that was sold to an American interest. Thankfully, this one flourished (thanks to the 2002 run, which setup the whole ''WE LOVE THE HABS'' craziness of this decade). We were freaking lucky we didn't get a Loria.
Are you suggesting an american would want to move the habs?
Quote:
Would anyone whine if Mike Bloomberg or Donald Trump bought the NY Rangers? Or if Mark Cuban would become owner of the Dallas Stars?
I don't know. I guess not. How is this relevant?
Quote:
The biggest french-speaking media conglomerate in North-America would buy the most storied franchise in Hockey. Don't you think that company would do EVERYTHING in it's power to make that franchise the crown-jewel of it's empire.
No, I don't trust PKP and Quebecor to respect the most storied franchise in hockey, not at all in fact, and I think it is very naive to believe they would do so just because they are Quebecois interest. Worst: PKP has stated that he wants to approach the habs management on the same level as any other entertainment business, which is very bad news considering how sports franchises run like traditionnal business turns out. And I'm not even talking about the very weird comments he made regarding the hiring of Martin.
Quote:
I'd rather have the Habs in their hands then in the Molson (Who bailed once on us) or some Americans.
Well, "some American" is right now a very very good owner, one that the next owner will have difficulties to top. And Molson-family != Moslon-Coors

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:11 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool View Post
I worked for Vidéotron for 2 years and a half.

Québécor would do everything in it's power to milk the thing to the ground. Period.

See, Journal de Québec, Journal de Montréal, Vidéotron, etc... that's how these idiots treat their institutions and immense assets. By telling their employees to bend over, ruining their brand's credibility by preferring money grabbing to quality products, and punishing employees that see otherwise. This is NOTHING like the Péladeau father's Québecor. It's a shadow of it, lead by his idiotic, power drunk son.

Seriously, you are very, very dead wrong on this. Québécor getting the Habs would be a disaster.

1UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Well, "some American" is right now a very very good owner, one that the next owner will have difficulties to top. And Molson-family != Moslon-Coors
In what way is GG right now a very very good owner? I don't get it at all. The guy has profited handsomly from his purchase, and has been using the profits as well as the Bell Center and the franchise itself it to prop up other less profitable assets in his empire.

Now in the midst of the storied 100th year of the franchise, that the marketing dept has been hyping for years, he publicly decides to offer the team to the highest bidder. Before the end of the season, and in the middle of a hard playoff year. Is this the hallmark of a good owner? Now it has to be done as quickly as possible so Gillett can get his money fast, and it may cost us any chance of a positive offseason.

This is people's definition of a very very good owner? Really?

Not The One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:48 PM
CraigDarby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
In what way is GG right now a very very good owner? I don't get it at all. The guy has profited handsomly from his purchase, and has been using the profits as well as the Bell Center and the franchise itself it to prop up other less profitable assets in his empire.

Now in the midst of the storied 100th year of the franchise, that the marketing dept has been hyping for years, he publicly decides to offer the team to the highest bidder. Before the end of the season, and in the middle of a hard playoff year. Is this the hallmark of a good owner? Now it has to be done as quickly as possible so Gillett can get his money fast, and it may cost us any chance of a positive offseason.

It's definitely true that he has lost major points in the past 3 months.

CraigDarby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:50 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post

He let's the team spend up to the cap and he stays out of hockey operations, on top of that he has very good relations with lots of the players. Really not much more you could ask for from GG...

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote