HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heatley asks for trade

Old
06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
ducky

vCash: 500
Heatley asks for trade

Heatley has asked for a trade from Ottawa. A 50 goal a year sniper he would be a great addition to the Phoenix Coyotes (ignoring all the salary implications and court crap).

What could GMDM offer?

I would consider something like Mueller, the 6th pick and Brett MacLean. Enough? Too much?

We could then re-sign Reinprecht or hand the first line centre spot to Turris

Doan - Reinprecht/Turris - Heatley makes a nice top line.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:51 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

We're bankrupt. Heatley is owed another thirty five million dollars. It doesn't really matter, though, he's got a NTC. I seriously doubt he had Phoenix in mind when he asked for a trade. It's basically like going back to Atlanta, where he couldn't wait to get out of, but current situation in mind, even worse. I wouldn't expect too many UFAs, RFAs, or players with NTCs/NMCs to accept any contracts with or trades to Phoenix for a little while. I don't think we come off as all that stable, at the moment.

Last edited by rt: 06-10-2009 at 11:11 AM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Moe Mantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Heatley has asked for a trade from Ottawa. A 50 goal a year sniper he would be a great addition to the Phoenix Coyotes (ignoring all the salary implications and court crap).

What could GMDM offer?

I would consider something like Mueller, the 6th pick and Brett MacLean. Enough? Too much?

We could then re-sign Reinprecht or hand the first line centre spot to Turris

Doan - Reinprecht/Turris - Heatley makes a nice top line.
Dany Heatley is one of my favourite players, and as both a Sens and Coyotes fan, I like the above trade. I think most Ottawa fans would want a proven top liner in return, and I'm not sure Mueller fits that bill. This trade would allow Ottawa to use some of it's cap for a PMD though, which is good. (I'm assuming Mueller doesn't make a lot of coin yet!)

The only bad side of Heatley is that he's a 50-goal scorer in the East. I'm not sure how well he'd do in the tougher Western Conference. He's also bailing on Ottawa after signing a long term contract, and the last thing we need is to bring another marquee player in to Phoenix only to have them pull a Jokinen...

Heatley has said that he wants to go to the West, and Ottawa and Phoenix have been trading partners in the past, so who knows!

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Moe Mantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
It's basically like going back to Atlanta, where he couldn't wait to get out of, but current situation in mind, even worse.
For incidents we need not bring up again, it should be pretty clear that Heatley left Atlanta for a major reason that wouldn't apply to Phoenix!

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:10 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Granted, but still, do you really think Heatley asked for a trade so he could end up in this mess? I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just trying to be realistic.

Old
06-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Chootoi

i think he'll probably end up in san jose as part of a marleau trade.

methinks the sharks are going to do some major housecleaning. it makes too much sense for this not to happen. i do think marleau has a NTC though.

something will probably be worked out.

if not san jose i would say vancouver would be the other frontrunner. Rumours are that they will infact resign the sedins and as we know they always been looking for that scorer to plug in there with them.

Last edited by Chootoi: 06-10-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Well, if they want a PMD, SJ has Erhoff. If they want a scoring replacement for him, as well, there is Michalek, Clowe, or Cheecho to choose from. I'm not sure a one for one, Marleau trade is what the Sens should be looking for. They couldn't get it done with Heatley, I'm not sure how switching him out for Marleau will get them where they want to be. If you can take care of that glaring need on D with Ehroff, and at least somewhat make up for the loss of Heatley with the grittier, more two-way Michalek, then perhaps that'll be enough of a change in the team dynamic to see some improvement.

Old
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
omnimutant

Love to see heatley in red but I'm still worried if we even reach the cap floor this season if the NHL runs the team through 09-10...

Quote:
methinks the sharks are going to do some major housecleaning
I hear that a lot too but it'd be pretty stupid for a team that just won the presidents trophy to blow up the team. Hiller gave them a run for their money in the Playoffs and I don't think any team could have put down Hiller on that stretch.

omnimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:01 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

OTT still owes us for that bogus Kraigs deal....

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If we're here, and run by the league, next season, I expect that we'll obviously have to reach the cap floor, but that our budget will be expected to remain below that number. With Jovanovski, Bryzgalov, Turris, Tikhonov, Mueller, Hanzal, ect. all have higher cap hits than actual salaries, next season, that shouldn't be hard to do. If the cap drops a million, or two, we're probably looking at re-signing our own RFA's and being able to add maybe a million or two worth of outside help. If we can move bums like Fedoruk and Hale, that helps. I'm starting to think, though, that there is a good chance that the playmaking center we hoped for will end up being Reinprecht on a one year deal, and that goalscoring winger we wanted will end up being Nigel Dawes or Joakim Lindstrom. That coveted, top four, puck moving defenseman will likely come in the form of Keith Yandle seeing increased ice time and being counted on to improve his game. That young back up goaltender with potential that Maloney has talked about may end up Montoya.

So, how does this team... even come close to competing for anything other than the first overall pick...

Dawes-Reinprecht-Mueller
Doan-Turris-Boedker
Tikhonov-Hanzal-Lisin
Upshall-Lombardi-Prucha
Winnik

Michalek-Jovanovski
Sauer-Yandle
Klee-Ahnelov
Schlemko

Bryzgalov
Montoya

...even come close to competing for anything other than the first overall pick?

Old
06-10-2009, 12:11 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Interesting thought: In court yesterday a couple things are clear.

The League has openly said it's happy being DIP and funding/ controlling this team/ asset until an adequate owner is found, including next season.

PSE (Ballsie) aty asserted that the asset is depreciating in value the longer the league holds it a sale needs to happen ASAP according to her, the league contests this assertion stating the value of the franchise is stable (the franchise is worth whatever someone is willing to pay so I don't know how to make either assertion). However I would pose this question: does adding a supper star-esq player like a Heatley add value to the franchise and would shoot down the PSE argument of it being a depreciating asset? Look at Pitts, with Crosby and Malkin their franchise is certainly worth more than before those two. Heatley isn't a Geno, I know, but it could be an interestingw ay to look at it. Heatley or any new player doesn't get paid until October, a new owner could be in place by then the salary doesn't come out of the League pocket.

yes typically when a pro sports franchise is on the brink of a sale, it traditionally dumps expenses/ contracts to make the deal more attractive to new owners, this may just be a circumstance were the opposite is true.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

No, I don't really think adding thirty or fourty million dollars worth of garanteed contract in the form of a single player increases the value of the team. That's just me. Drop a Heatley-type on this squad, without any other major changes, and we're still probaby not a playoff team. Maybe a Heatley-esque player, an entire new coaching staff, continued good luck with injuries, and big step up seasons from the youngsters, and maybe. Still, I just don't see the league doing something like that.

Old
06-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Go Yotes 97

OMG get yoour freaking heads out of the sand. I can't believe that this is even a topic.

Go Yotes 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:00 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If we're here, and run by the league, next season, I expect that we'll obviously have to reach the cap floor, but that our budget will be expected to remain below that number. With Jovanovski, Bryzgalov, Turris, Tikhonov, Mueller, Hanzal, ect. all have higher cap hits than actual salaries, next season, that shouldn't be hard to do. If the cap drops a million, or two, we're probably looking at re-signing our own RFA's and being able to add maybe a million or two worth of outside help. If we can move bums like Fedoruk and Hale, that helps. I'm starting to think, though, that there is a good chance that the playmaking center we hoped for will end up being Reinprecht on a one year deal, and that goalscoring winger we wanted will end up being Nigel Dawes or Joakim Lindstrom. That coveted, top four, puck moving defenseman will likely come in the form of Keith Yandle seeing increased ice time and being counted on to improve his game. That young back up goaltender with potential that Maloney has talked about may end up Montoya.

So, how does this team... even come close to competing for anything other than the first overall pick...

Dawes-Reinprecht-Mueller
Doan-Turris-Boedker
Tikhonov-Hanzal-Lisin
Upshall-Lombardi-Prucha
Winnik

Michalek-Jovanovski
Sauer-Yandle
Klee-Ahnelov
Schlemko

Bryzgalov
Montoya

...even come close to competing for anything other than the first overall pick?

More money will have to be spent to reach the cap floor than you indicate. While several entry contract players have bonus clauses, only the signing portion and the games played (when played) portion of the bonus can count against the cap floor. Performance bonuses don't kick in until they are reached. There will be some money to do a few things, even if it is the floor (again).

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimutant View Post
Love to see heatley in red but I'm still worried if we even reach the cap floor this season if the NHL runs the team through 09-10...

I hear that a lot too but it'd be pretty stupid for a team that just won the presidents trophy to blow up the team. Hiller gave them a run for their money in the Playoffs and I don't think any team could have put down Hiller on that stretch.
You can win all the Presidents trophies and division titles you want but it means jack if you get pumped in the first 2 rounds every year. Everyone surrounding that organization is past their boiling point. Something's gotta happen.

Hiller or not, with that kind of lineup and that kind of payroll you expect them to produce in the playoffs. You expect them to grind it out, not saunter off to the golf course with your tail between your legs. Maybe they are satisfied with what they have (or haven't) accomplished. I know the fanbase certainly isn't. They're coming with pitchforks and torches.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 04:22 PM
omnimutant

No team can ever expect to win the cup. Getting to the Playoff is the best you can honestly hope for. There are so many random variables that you cannot control beyond that point. I think having the best Season in franchise history should be enough. The Stanley Cup is like the Bonus at the end of the year.

If the fans demand a Stanley Cup then they aim to high. It's just not that simple. Blowing up the best team ever is not going to make you better.

omnimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 05:34 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimutant View Post
No team can ever expect to win the cup. Getting to the Playoff is the best you can honestly hope for. There are so many random variables that you cannot control beyond that point. I think having the best Season in franchise history should be enough. The Stanley Cup is like the Bonus at the end of the year.

If the fans demand a Stanley Cup then they aim to high. It's just not that simple. Blowing up the best team ever is not going to make you better.
I'm pretty sure its Stanley cup or bust for the Detroits and Penguins, and Ducks, and I'd hope management would not be content merely making the playoffs. All making the playoffs is going to get you is 2 extra home games and a bit extra cash.

I'll take a cup or 2 and 25 years of sucking over making the playoffs and getting swept every year. Good asset management and drafting should let you do both.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:41 PM
yakko

Didn't Reinprecht and Heatley play on a line together at Wisconsin?

Exciting as it might be, I would be very surprised to see Heatley land in Phoenix.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Yotes 97 View Post
OMG get yoour freaking heads out of the sand. I can't believe that this is even a topic.
Uhm... the form could be debated... but I think I would have to agree.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:43 PM
BuckyFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Didn't Reinprecht and Heatley play on a line together at Wisconsin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post

Exciting as it might be, I would be very surprised to see Heatley land in Phoenix.
Yup they played together for one year (Reino's senior/Heatley's Freshman). That was a great team... I think they were a number one seed in the NCAA tournament that year. Too bad they didn't even make it to the Frozen Four.

BuckyFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote