HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Differences among hockey pants?

Old
06-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Dr Turk

vCash: 500
Differences among hockey pants?

I've been playing in basically the cheapest hockey pants I could buy and until recently thought nothing of it. However recently I hit a guy and fell onto the ice and landed on my side and it still hurts like a ***** and Ive gotten a decent sized bruise. Turns out there's basically no padding in the upper thigh/side of the ass area. Would getting some better more expensive pants be worth it? Are there significant differences in protection level?

Last edited by Dr Turk: 06-11-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:03 PM
blueberrydanish

Pretty sure thats a big yes....I know my pants have padding all around and Ive never felt anything bad hitting the ice...in all honesty I would never see a reason to buy cheap esp with a sport like hockey, safe bet is to always go for something mid range and spend the lil extra money instead of getting cheap stuff.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:16 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
I've been playing in basically the cheapest hockey pants I could buy and until recently thought nothing of it. However recently I hit a guy and fell onto the ice and landed on my side and it still hurts like a ***** and Ive gotten a decent sized bruise. Turns out there's basically no padding in the upper thigh/side of the ass area. Would getting some better more expensive pants be worth it? Are there significant differences in protection level?
Yup... my first pair of pants had really thick padding. I couldn't feel a thing if I got hit.

Of course I eventually outgrew them (waist too big, pants too short) and bought a pair of cheap-o pants that have flimsy and thin padding in comparison.

I don't really need it though since I don't play at a very competitive level.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
AIREAYE

yeh, just make sure the pants cover up to the top of the shinpads (even lower maybe) and has adequate protection for the bottom half of your spine

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:22 PM
maci4life

my first cheapo pants had no spine protection. the new ones have a nice one, on top of the better leg protection and overall better padding.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Hockeyfan68

Yep I concur with the rest of the dudes in this thread. half decent pants should offer you good protection with very little area exposed.

Of course you should expect getting hit with a puck here and there and feeling it in the padding gaps. That does happen sometimes.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:07 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Yup, good pants = no pain when falling = good .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There's also different kinds of pants. Reebok tends to have very protective pants with lots of padding. Vapors are really light weight with little padding and a bit of spine protection (that's what I use). Supreme/One90 pants are in between the two, with a good amount of padding and mobility. Tacklas are awesome pants with a ton of padding but flared legs for lots of mobility, but of course they're expensive and hard to find.

Best advice, try them all on. Usually the best price to performance for most equipment is the second from highest line. My shoulders and pants are Vapor XXV's because they were a nice mix of light weight, mobile, and protective, while I went for One90 shins and S9 elbows because I wanted maximum protection from those two (while getting something slim and mobile).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:56 AM
greyraven8

I'd agree on Tackla pants. Lots of padding, fit me well, and have had no problems with either pair I have. Got a used pair of Tackla goalie pants on ebay for a great price, and got a new pair from hockeydawgz.com for a good price (got both years ago).

Sometimes when buying pants you can get a good deal on the oddball colours (my players pants are the ducks purple and the goal pants are green).

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyraven8 View Post
I'd agree on Tackla pants. Lots of padding, fit me well, and have had no problems with either pair I have. Got a used pair of Tackla goalie pants on ebay for a great price, and got a new pair from hockeydawgz.com for a good price (got both years ago).

Sometimes when buying pants you can get a good deal on the oddball colours (my players pants are the ducks purple and the goal pants are green).
I've never heard any bad words over the years about Tackla pants. I think they mainly make only pants (?) and know what they are doing.

I am going to be shopping soon for pants and will probably be getting some Tackla stuff. i have never owned any but word of mouth says a lot literally among hockey players.

Old
06-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Dr Turk

Thanks for the advice guys, I think Im gonna save up to get a pair of those tackla pants. I realized I'm an idiot for using used kohos that are probably from the 70's

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

I am using a $30 Vic pants from Sportschek. Its decent and I haven't felt pain from them yet (i seem to have a higher threshold than most tho). They have no inner thigh protection, very small spine, and just I even use them in net!

I regret buying them tho since I got them when I first started and now its easily my worst piece of hockey equipment (other than my 1K RBK wood stick that I adore )

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:25 AM
pnewsom

Quality only hurts once!

Good equipment tends to last longer, protect better, and usually fits better. Cheap stuff on the other hand, doesn't last as long, doesn't protect as well, often doesn't fit as well, and isn't worth much if you want to get rid of it later.

Plus, how many of us wouldn't pay fifty or hundred bucks to get rid of a nagging injury. Pay the extra money up front and avoid the injury.

You get what you pay for.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Hockeyfan68

I still own a pair of CCM Supras from the early 90s. They are heavy by today's standards but offer a lot of protection.

I do not wear them anylonger because they are bulky.

I really do want some Tackla ones and already know they are comfy so your going with those would be a good choice.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 06-13-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old
06-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Pat

I just switched from CCM Protacks to Bauer Supreme ONE95s

the CCMs offered good protection, lots of padding. but they were heavy, bulky and kinda restricting.
the Bauers offer good padding and protection, but they are very light compared to the CCMs. I feel less restricted in the ONE95s. and they are well vented too. there's also the spinal protection that's nice plus.

ONE95s are definitely a good choice.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:46 PM
HerrAlex

I have really cheap pants. If i ever fall it hurts to walk for about a week and you have to play the rest of the game with some power taken out of your stride.

Definitely buy some new pants, thats my next investment after the skates that need to be fixed

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:38 AM
vivianmb

get some tacklas already guys!

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 03:49 PM
spjon25

I just picked up a pair of CCM V08 LE's from Hockeymoney and I think they are great. I play in a beginner, league so there is lots of crashing and falling. I like the padding and they do not seem to restrictive. I had a pair of Easton pro stock that I bought at Play it Again Sports and did not like the 2 piece with all of the buttons

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Semin

I'm getting the warrior hustlers. Does anyone know if there good? or if there not worth the 200 bucks?

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
get some tacklas already guys!
I'm working on it man.

Old
06-14-2009, 09:00 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
I'm getting the warrior hustlers. Does anyone know if there good? or if there not worth the 200 bucks?
They're a good pant, but $200 is too much to pay for a pant IMO. Especally when Tackla pro 5000s retail for about $150.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
They're a good pant, but $200 is too much to pay for a pant IMO. Especally when Tackla pro 5000s retail for about $150.
I've never used tackla, are they really good pants?

Old
06-14-2009, 10:50 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
I've never used tackla, are they really good pants?
Yes. They're pretty much the best pants made right now.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
maci4life

here's the pants i recently bought.

lots of quad protection, good spine protection, zippers on the inside, lots of waste padding, 2 strap tightening system ( no strings ), and the matted looking area upper portion has less padding so it's easy to move around in.

i got them for 80 at the local hockey store here.

http://www.hockeydepotstore.com/RBK%...s%20Adult.aspx

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Semin

All i know is that my Warrior Hustlers have so much protection in them. So much padding it makes my butt like 3x the size it is. They make my lower body look sooo much bigger. I look like a tank out there. There great pants. Tons of padding.