HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6 interested groups will table their offers today?

Old
06-12-2009, 11:40 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
What striks me in Québécor's offer is that Québécor is apparently owned 45% by public money (according to Réjéan), they will use money from the FTQ fund (also almost public money) and they will also probably ask for a favorable financial support from the SGF....

So they will buy the habs mostly with our money...
yup. that's pretty much it.

Quebecor would make for the worse owner possible. Just cuz they're a Quebec company doesnt mean that they only have good intentions...

Granted, Saputo money is not exactly clean money (he'll fit right in with the mafioso fans), at least he's a guy who knows how to run a business. The soccer club is well run and Bronfman is not your chump change billionaire either...these guys might actually make a formidable duo. Even if Bronfman's a lil...coocoo.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I personally think the deal is done and that the only reason we're not hearing it announced is because that darn' SC final serie is not over yet. I think I read somewhere that the NHL signifired that there was enough ownership issues with the Yotes and that more would hurt the visibility for their beloved game 7.
This actually makes a lot of sense.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Oh no an Anglo and an Italian owning the team!!!!!!!!!

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/276352.html

All joking aside, this makes me excited, Joey Saputo is a great guy who's willing to spend money and expects only quality from his team.

I think these two owning the team is the best possible scenario.
Angelo Esposito to MTL?

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
Granted, Saputo money is not exactly clean money (he'll fit right in with the mafioso fans), at least he's a guy who knows how to run a business.
Surprised it took so long for someone to mention this. Saputo isn't exactly clean, and has been having this reputation for a long time. I heard a lot of funny stories regarding how he "convinced" some restaurant owners to buy his cheese.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Surprised it took so long for someone to mention this. Saputo isn't exactly clean, and has been having this reputation for a long time. I heard a lot of funny stories regarding how he "convinced" some restaurant owners to buy his cheese.
But it's never been proven and it shouldn't be mentioned on this forum.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:06 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post

He didn't have to convince me! Then again, I am not a restaurant owner.... but the man knows his curds

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
SpezNc

In order

1- The Molson group (do BCE is Involve with them?) - This is just natural. The habs are Molson in my opinion. Too much history between them and the habs. Molson Coors is also a minority shareholder. That's a plus for the Molson Group. A lot of relationship between Molson & Gillett. If BCE is involve, that's another plus because Bell is the name of the Bell Center

2- Graham Roustan - He is a friend of Pierre Boivin. That's a plus. I have liked what Gillett have done with the habs. Hope Gillet is like Roustan. Roustan is born in Quebec so he is not 100% american.

3- The Bronfman - Saputo Tandem. The Bronfmans have been involve in Hockey in the past. Saputo knows how to run a sport team even if L'impact is not the habs... Bronfman is probably more interested in the Gillet Spectacle group and Saputo in the Hockey club

4-5 The other deux americans group

------------

1 000 000: The quebecor group. really i don't want the star academie father to buy our hockey club

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Newhabfan

I've followed the Impact for a while and I can't say I'm totally pleased with the way Saputo handled the Limniatis vs DeSantis issue.

DeSantis had really poor seasons as coach and a very bad start in 2008. He gets removed (and becomes Direttore technico which gives him even more power over the team). Limniatis is brought to conclude a catastrophic 2008 season - however it somehow turned into the best Impact season ever.

Meanwhile DeSantis was constantly trying to meddle in coaching (Liminiatis let this slip during the press conference). Mauro Biello who was practically one of the most damaging players for his team (slow, old and individualistic) was being pushed in front till he got injured.

Then few months after the BigO moment of glory, after only 5 regular season games into 2009, Limniatis gets fired by De Santis for "poor performance" while Mauro Biello gets promoted assistant coach, probably preeparing for the main job somewhere in the future.

Point being - Saputo seems to favor Italians. Expect Pacioretty and D'Agostini to benefit He also seems to get involved directly in the soccer side of the business. Dunno if it will happen in hockey but I bet it will.

On the other hand, we do have Lou Lamoriello in Jersey, doing pretty well... Maybe this could work after all.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc View Post
In order

1- The Molson group (do BCE is Involve with them?) - This is just natural. The habs are Molson in my opinion. Too much history between them and the habs. Molson Coors is also a minority shareholder. That's a plus for the Molson Group. A lot of relationship between Molson & Gillett. If BCE is involve, that's another plus because Bell is the name of the Bell Center

2- Graham Roustan - He is a friend of Pierre Boivin. That's a plus. I have liked what Gillett have done with the habs. Hope Gillet is like Roustan. Roustan is born in Quebec so he is not 100% american.

3- The Bronfman - Saputo Tandem. The Bronfmans have been involve in Hockey in the past. Saputo knows how to run a sport team even if L'impact is not the habs... Bronfman is probably more interested in the Gillet Spectacle group and Saputo in the Hockey club

------------

1 000 000: The quebecor group. really i don't want the star academie father to buy our hockey club
Just so you know, Quebecor is not the Star Academie's father, it's production J and Julie Snyder and the show appears on TVA part of the Quebecor empire, but trust me, if Julie and Pierre-Karl were to seperate, TQS or Radio-Canada would jump on the chance to brodcast Star Ac so give it a rest with the Quebecor bunch

I surely hope Gillett sells to Quebecor, it will upset so many people on this board it will be damn funny....

And by the way the Bronfman screwed Montreal by selling the expos to Claude Brochu, so we can have confidence in them

the Saputo had a lot of inquiry about suppose ties with the Mafia

Molson (the company not the family although they were involve as membre of the board of directors) sold to Gillett at a ridiculous price without offering the chance to other buyers (canadians one) to purchase the team and Gillet bought them with a loan from La caisse de dépot which is our own money by the way)

So with that point of view on possible crappy buyers, i'll put my cheering behind Roustan, he's a canadian, he knows hockey and unless given evidence, he has'nt screwed people in Montreal yet...

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
DaHabMan

step asides molsons, i definitely want the saputo/bronfman tandem now. The best owners a team can have, aside from gillett of course, and they ****ing know how to run things as evidenced with the impact and the expos. For **** sakes gillett, please sell THEM the team!!!!!!!!

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Just heard on TSN:

Saputo/Bronfman have made a 450 million offer. The highest George has received.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 05:49 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Just heard on TSN:

Saputo/Bronfman have made a 450 million offer. The highest George has received.
That's it? I wanted to offer 600 million but I thought it wouldn't go through... damn.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 07:57 PM
koivu

anyone but Quebecor!

I hate what that jackass said about Gainey.
2nd guessing his coaching choice - from a guy who knows nothing.
No thanks - get lost Quebecor you will destroy this team.

koivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/276352.html

I saw this earlier, but didn't think to read it.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:36 PM
SpezNc

Quebecor might need to overbid by at least 20 millions to get the team.

The Montreal Canadiens seems to think (like most of us) that PKP might be too dangerous..

But like R.Tremblay said, that's not means that Quebecor will not get the team but their chances are kind of slim.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/opinions/c...magnifique.php

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Kid Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc View Post
In order

------------

You ranked Quebecor much too high.
Peladeau is a complete and total jackass. He and his inheritance should stay the hell away.

Kid Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 04:06 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

QPP should have bought it, instead of George

At least one of their investments would have made money.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote