HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please Sign the "Keep the Coyotes in Phoenix" Petition!

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2009, 05:11 AM
NWAvs

vCash: 500
Sorry this is happening to you guys! good luck!

Old
05-18-2009, 03:58 AM
Sunking278

I've never been to Arizona, I am not a Coyotes fan, but I signed this petition. The NHL expanded to all these 'non-traditional' markets in the '90s, thinking they would all be successful overnight. While a few of these markets have indeed succeeded, the league should have realized that it would take many years to build up these franchises. I think the league does realize that now, and I'm glad they're fighting to keep the Coyotes in Arizona. Ontario is already over-saturated with hockey, they do not need another NHL franchise. Continue to grow the game in Arizona and other 'non-traditional' markets, and eventually everything will work out (see Carolina, San Jose, Dallas.) It takes many years for any team in any given sport to build a tradition and a solid fanbase. Cutting and running is not the solution.

Old
05-18-2009, 04:03 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I signed this some time ago and want the Yotes to have a real shot at success, e.g. the NHL has to give them more support!

Old
05-19-2009, 09:57 PM
DisplacedIslander
Back Up The Trucks

Send a message via MSN to DisplacedIslander
As a former resident of Phoenix, an attender of Yotes games (including opening night at the new barn), and a hockey fan in general, my thoughts are with the Yotes faithful in all of this. Being a fan of a team in financial disarray myself, it's a scary thing to live with the possibility of your team being packed up and moved someplace else. The team belongs to the community, not the other way around.

When I lived there, I was surely impressed by how much the community at large supported the team...games on local broadcast TV, player/fan outings around the metro area, and the fact that even locals with only a passing interest in hockey knew their team and some of the players. Not something that can be said about every market. I'm sure it's grown by leaps and bounds since those days, and for it to all pass away now would be a shame.

For every "fan" who says they'd be better off in a "hockey market", be sure to remind them of Tampa Bay, of Dallas, of Carolina, and Oklahoma city (not a joke - a CHL team that sells out a 17K seat arena is nothing to sneeze at). Hockey's not about markets, it's about the fans who come to the games.

It's a business, yes, but that business is for the entertainment of the people of the city.

You have this Islander fan's support, and no doubt a lot of my Islander brethren as well.

Old
05-20-2009, 06:54 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Signed the petition, joined the facebook group aswell.

I wish no one losing their team. I do want teams in Winnipeg and I do want one in Hamilton but not on the cost of another team. I hope you make it and get's to stay where you are.

Good luck friends

Old
05-20-2009, 07:26 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

The NHL needs to do a little more to force parity on certain teams. Detroit being the finals so damned often helps nobody outside of Michigan and certainly kills the chance at getting a cinderella and attracting new fans. Get a quality team in PHX and fans WILL COME. It's practically the only team in a several hundred mile radius. Even assuming that area has very few hockey fans, with the Yotes being the only team within several hours, with a decent product consistently, they will come.

Old
05-20-2009, 02:06 PM
iceless
-`ღ-

Is there a spot for me to sign that says: "Sign here if you wish to see the resulting demise of the Coyotes" ???

Old
05-20-2009, 02:33 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
Is there a spot for me to sign that says: "Sign here if you wish to see the resulting demise of the Coyotes" ???
Check TSN.ca. There should be something like that over there.

Old
05-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Willis

Hello guys, good luck.

I am a huge hockey fan and have been my whole life. From playing it as a child to rec hockey and watching every minute I can. I am an Oiler fan first and foremost, but I have watched my home team almost ripped away from a guy in Houston in cahoots with a former scam artist owner (Peter Pocklington who happens to be going to jail at the moment) and do not wish that on any fan. The NHL allowed for locals to band together and buy the team after Peter Puck decimated the team and sold as many assets as he could as many trades involved money).

I have had the privledge of watching a hockey game in some "non-traditional" markets and some "traditional" markets. The point is most people who want to pull a team from these fans forget that if you go to a game, the fans are there. That hardcore Yotes fan is just as involved with his team and in love with the game as that fan in Toronto. I will agree that there may not be as many of those guys in Phoenix as say Montreal, but the game is such that with more time it will work. Get the Yotes winning and more people show up and get hooked.

I would love to see another team in Canada and actually hope that Hamilton gets their team, it just I dont want to see it done this way. I would love the team to say where it is. On this I am fully in agreement with Bettman and the NHL. If the Yotes are to move it should be back to Winnipeg but everything should be done to keep them where they are. Guys don't give up hope, from what I can tell the League is going all they can to keep the team where it is, as they have done in other markets. Good luck guys, I am rooting for you. Again if there is no choice but to move, then I hope they go back to Winnipeg and you get an expansion team shortly like Minnesota with Balsillie getting a Hamilton expansion team just so no market has to go through this anymore.

Old
06-12-2009, 11:31 AM
wolfey

Listen Phoenix fans, I'm sorry, I truly am, I couldn't comprehend losing my team to another city...but truthfully, the way it is is you don't have enough fans, there's not enough backing in Phoenix, I don't doubt a number of you are die hard fans, but that kind of fan is few and far between out in the desert. It's not your fault, it's Gary Bettman's fault, he put a team in the desert, he created a select few die hard fans in Phoenix, and now because he's an idiot and a failure he's letting you guys down by discovering what would have been an obvious failure if he was thinking when moving a team to Phoenix, is a failure now. And, sure he's trying to keep the team there, but even if he succeeds, it won't be for much longer, and if it is (some legal obligation that I'm sure Bettman would imply into the league) the arena will never fill, and the fans will disappear, and no one will want to sign with a team where home ice melts in the middle of "winter", and there is no fan momentum to thrive off of.
And again, I'm sorry, you have 314 supporters of your petition...one section at jobing.com Arena, and the Coyotes conducted a poll of Glendale, AZ...72% of residents want the team out of their city.
There's just not enough of a market, not even enough support to fill half an arena, Southern Ontario gathered enough support to fill 10 arenas.
If you love hockey as much as I do, move to Toronto, it's crazy here. Everyone bleeds blue and white...how many people in Glendale bleed Brick red, white, and sand?

Last edited by Teemu: 06-12-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old
06-12-2009, 11:38 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfey View Post
If you love hockey as much as I do, move to Toronto, it's crazy here.[/URL]
Really, I'd rather lose my team than move DOWN the NHL food chain by becoming a Leafs fan...

And I'm sorry, but saying you're sorry to preface that kind of post (and top it off with a spam about your blog) doesn't soften the tone of your post, it just makes you look insincere and douchey.

Old
06-12-2009, 11:49 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
And I'm sorry, but saying you're sorry to preface that kind of post (and top it off with a spam about your blog) doesn't soften the tone of your post, it just makes you look insincere and douchey.
If the day comes that we learn the Coyotes are, for sure, relocating, hf should give you full mod powers for just one day, and let you off your leash on all of these a-holes, and you know there will be dozens and dozen more of them coming out of the woodwork to gloat.

Old
06-12-2009, 11:51 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfey View Post
Listen Phoenix fans, I'm sorry, I truly am, I couldn't comprehend losing my team to another city...but truthfully, the way it is is you don't have enough fans, there's not enough backing in Phoenix, I don't doubt a number of you are die hard fans, but that kind of fan is few and far between out in the desert. It's not your fault, it's Gary Bettman's fault, he put a team in the desert, he created a select few die hard fans in Phoenix, and now because he's an idiot and a failure he's letting you guys down by discovering what would have been an obvious failure if he was thinking when moving a team to Phoenix, is a failure now. And, sure he's trying to keep the team there, but even if he succeeds, it won't be for much longer, and if it is (some legal obligation that I'm sure Bettman would imply into the league) the arena will never fill, and the fans will disappear, and no one will want to sign with a team where home ice melts in the middle of "winter", and there is no fan momentum to thrive off of.
And again, I'm sorry, you have 314 supporters of your petition...one section at jobing.com Arena, and the Coyotes conducted a poll of Glendale, AZ...72% of residents want the team out of their city.
There's just not enough of a market, not even enough support to fill half an arena, Southern Ontario gathered enough support to fill 10 arenas.
If you love hockey as much as I do, move to Toronto, it's crazy here. Everyone bleeds blue and white...how many people in Glendale bleed Brick red, white, and sand?
Needless plug: For more updates, opinions, and stuff like that check out my blog: http://puck-drops-here.blogspot.com/
This is just priceless. You should really consider a living in politics. You seemingly just ooze all of the necessary characteristics of a true politician. Seriously, from top to bottom, this post shows me that you have exactly what it takes.

Creep.

Old
06-12-2009, 12:35 PM
fortunerox

Hey guys, I'm not a Coyotes fan, but I do understand what its like to be a fan of a team in a non traditional hockey market. Here in Florida, Panthers fans are few and far between, but the fans we do have out here are die hards. To tell you guys the truth I don't know what I would do if the Panthers were in the same situation that your Coyotes are. I wish you guys the best of luck.

Old
06-12-2009, 12:53 PM
PhoPhan

This is why we can't have nice things.

Closed Thread