HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stuck between flex choice...

Old
06-11-2009, 03:10 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staalin87 View Post
I misread I thought you were having power issues, however if the puck is more towards your back foot it will keep the puck low...but as someone said earlier you want low hard shots from the point, its safer for everyone (unless its competitive and everyone is wearing a cage) and easier to tip/redirect. try moving the puck a little more forward in your stance.also where do you hit the puck on your stick? heel middle toe?
typically heel.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:56 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I am 5'11 170 and I have a 110 flex. I have never had a slap shot (just couldn't get it) so I don't really use it. I have a good wrist and snap shot. I play forward so the slapper isn't crucial for me. I just haven't ever been able to lift my slap shot consistently
I'm around the same height/weight and I use a 100 flex.

Good slap shot and wristers from it.

Quote:
d I thought you were having power issues, however if the puck is more towards your back foot it will keep the puck low...
+1

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:35 PM
raganblink

no offense here guys, but most of you have no idea what the heck your talking about. recommending a 110 flex for him? Really?!? or even using a 110 flex???!??!?

in my prime i was 6'2 210 lbs of muscle. my slapper with 100 flex hit mid 80s. my teammates, some of which who were stronger and had a heavier shot, used 100. one guy had 110, and he was 6'5 240 of muscle. his slappers hit mid90s. he was the only guy on our team to use 110. rest of us used 100 and the smaller kids used 85. but that was only like 4 guys. if only one junior a player on my team needed a 110, im pretty sure you dont need one. a 95-100 willl be more than enough for you, unless you could have played for college in your prime, and your not too much off your prime.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Kunitziwa

Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post
no offense here guys, but most of you have no idea what the heck your talking about. recommending a 110 flex for him? Really?!? or even using a 110 flex???!??!?

in my prime i was 6'2 210 lbs of muscle. my slapper with 100 flex hit mid 80s. my teammates, some of which who were stronger and had a heavier shot, used 100. one guy had 110, and he was 6'5 240 of muscle. his slappers hit mid90s. he was the only guy on our team to use 110. rest of us used 100 and the smaller kids used 85. but that was only like 4 guys. if only one junior a player on my team needed a 110, im pretty sure you dont need one. a 95-100 willl be more than enough for you, unless you could have played for college in your prime, and your not too much off your prime.
I'm assuming you meant 100 flex there, idk why he wouldn't be able to use a 100 flex stick, the guy who created the thread is 6'2" i think 200ish. seems about right to me.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Depending on how tall you like your sticks, you could try 100. If you're using full length 87 flex sticks, they would be pretty whippy for your height. For instance, I'm 5'8" and cut sticks down 5" so my 75 flex sticks go up to 95, but if I were 6'2" I'd be using uncut sticks and 95-100 flex sticks would be perfect.

As Staalin said, the closer to the target you release the puck, the higher it will go, so moving the puck closer to your front foot will help keep it high, and keeping it towards the back foot will keep it low. But if you're playing defense, best bet is to keep it just a few inches off the ice.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:28 AM
noobman

One more thing to keep in mind is that cutting a stick down increases its stiffness. If you buy an 87 flex and you cut it, the stick will be stiffer.

My Easton stick has markings at the top indicating where to cut to get a certain stiffness. It's a 100 flex but I believe its marked to be cut down to a 116. I assume that cutting it any lower compromises the stick's integrity.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
raganblink

Quote:
I'm assuming you meant 100 flex there, idk why he wouldn't be able to use a 100 flex stick, the guy who created the thread is 6'2" i think 200ish. seems about right to me.
no i meant 110 flex. people suggesting that is ridiculous. and really, unless the OP is playing in a competitive B/A league, (or AAA or AA or whatever, but assuming his height and age he is an adult player) the 85 will work fine.

We really dont try in A league anymore and most of us have dropped down to 85, a couple (myself included) are still playing with 100s but we are stronger and better hockey players and have better shots all around than the OP assuming he is not an A league type player, so, i dont see why he'd NEED a 100 flex.

the 100 will work for you, im just not convinced it is necessary. however i dont know what level you play at, so i cant really tell if you are decent (college level in prime) or not. if you couldn't play college (****** college works too) i dont really think you need a 100. get whatever you like though. go to lhs and take some wrist shots with same stick in 85/100, and ask if you can take some slappers with them (offer to pay for stick if you break it) and get what feels best.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
no i meant 110 flex. people suggesting that is ridiculous. and really, unless the OP is playing in a competitive B/A league, (or AAA or AA or whatever, but assuming his height and age he is an adult player) the 85 will work fine.

We really dont try in A league anymore and most of us have dropped down to 85, a couple (myself included) are still playing with 100s but we are stronger and better hockey players and have better shots all around than the OP assuming he is not an A league type player, so, i dont see why he'd NEED a 100 flex.

the 100 will work for you, im just not convinced it is necessary. however i dont know what level you play at, so i cant really tell if you are decent (college level in prime) or not. if you couldn't play college (****** college works too) i dont really think you need a 100. get whatever you like though. go to lhs and take some wrist shots with same stick in 85/100, and ask if you can take some slappers with them (offer to pay for stick if you break it) and get what feels best.
Okay if my input matters any I NEED a flex half of my body weight at least to shoot rockets with a slaphot or a snapshot. I can shoot slapshots with a low flex but the stick feels too rubbery and it just has a jell-O feel to the shaft. this is my current issue as I am using a 100 flex and I weigh 235lbs. Almost what I want but not quite.

This being said the stiffer flex does take away a bit from wristshots and things like backhand shots. One can still shoot them but they are more difficult as you do not have as good a whip for the torque needed for wristshots to be as hard as possible.

Also you can be more accurate with a lower flex with respect to wristshots.

The problem presented though is breaking your stick easier because your body weight overpowers the flex and it breaks with slapshots.

All I can say is find a happy medium for your particular style of play and go with it. there really isn't a wrong way to deal with these things. Telling someone they are wrong for using a lower flex is not the right thing to do because for them maybe it is the right thing. They may be a playmaker with more finesses to their game or something.

There really is a lot to consider with stick choice.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:02 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Nobody should be 170lbs and using 110 flex, it's too much, even for Superman! If you were very strong in the hips, legs, back and shoulders, I could see you using 100 flex at that weight. However, your wristers could suffer.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Kunitziwa

Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:

Ive used both (85/100) and there are definitely advantages with both as everyone has pointed out. I'm not sure which to stay with as Ive switched back and fourth a couple times, just takes some getting used to. I'm 22 at 6'0 216, and im pretty decent so I'm fairly comfortable with the 100 flex.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:15 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Ive used both (85/100) and there are definitely advantages with both as everyone has pointed out. I'm not sure which to stay with as Ive switched back and fourth a couple times, just takes some getting used to. I'm 22 at 6'0 216, and im pretty decent so I'm fairly comfortable with the 100 flex.
I'd stick with the 100. It'll be more durable. I'm 5'10 175ish and I use an 87 and they do break after a while. If I'm wearing through them with my shot at 175lbs than you probably will get better stamina from your sticks if you stick with the 100.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 06:23 PM
whitesox

i'm 6" 140 and I prefer to have more flex. I used a 100 kronic and it was a great stick. Now I have a a tps R10 with the 115/95/80 stiff flex and it is my favorite stick. I personaly like really stiff sticks, it all depends on what you play the best with.

whitesox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:26 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox View Post
i'm 6" 140 and I prefer to have more flex. I used a 100 kronic and it was a great stick. Now I have a a tps R10 with the 115/95/80 stiff flex and it is my favorite stick. I personaly like really stiff sticks, it all depends on what you play the best with.
That's way too stiff for you. Please don't take any offense but it sounds like your shooting technique needs a tune up. What you're probably doing is shooting as hard as you possibly can, right? Accuracy problems are probably are almost always a byproduct of that. You need a smoother motion and to be using an 85 or so flex. Weight isn't the only factor though. I've noticed some guys who are say 6'4 but only 175, do benefit from a 100+ flex. Height plays a role, certainly.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 12:14 AM
UserName

6 feet 150 and i use warrior 85 flex senior standard length, perfect for me.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:04 AM
Dr Acula

I'm 5' 8", 155 lbs and I use a 70/75 flex stick cut down 3", which becomes about 85. My wristers are good, slapshots are ok. I'm thinking about moving down to an intermeidate stick but am worried the thinner shaft would bother me.

Dr Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:23 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Christ, I'm like 5'9 ~ 185/190lbs and I use a 70 flex Synergy II shaft cut like an inch (Around 75 flex). I just picked up a 100 flex Dolo shaft that needs to be cut down, ao it should be interesting.

I use the 70 flexes with toe curves, since most of my snap shots are off the end of my blade. I like the quick shot and quick loading of the shaft.

The Dolo will get a mid curve, maybe a heel if I want some slappers.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:58 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Alright, so on a completely unrelated note (and it's not like I'll change it, regardless of the answers) but I'm barely 5'9 and prefer to not cut my sticks at all but use them just as they come. Is this possibly effecting some part of my game, or since I'm happy with my stick handling, passing, shooting, etc. can we just say that I've adjusted and prefer a longer stick?

Old
06-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you're comfortable, it works, but that's a pretty long stick. Just make sure the lie is low enough that you have plenty of blade on the ice.

Old
06-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Devil Dancer

5'6 138, and I use a 67 flex intermediate cut down an inch or two, so it's probably 70-73?

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:52 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If you're comfortable, it works, but that's a pretty long stick. Just make sure the lie is low enough that you have plenty of blade on the ice.
I'm definitely comfortable; like I said I'm not likely to change it (I played 4 years of high school and 4 years of college this way; it just never bothered me). I was just wondering if it's potentially impacting something I'm not aware of or if it's more likely that I've just entirely adapted to it and enjoy the long reach.

Old
06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
I'm definitely comfortable; like I said I'm not likely to change it (I played 4 years of high school and 4 years of college this way; it just never bothered me). I was just wondering if it's potentially impacting something I'm not aware of or if it's more likely that I've just entirely adapted to it and enjoy the long reach.
Do you play D? That wouldn't be out of the ordinary then.

Like I said, try and pick up a cheap $15-20 wood stick and cut it down a couple inches that you normally would. Try it out at puck and stick or open hockey or something like that and see how you like it. If it doesn't work out, it should be the perfect height for off ice stickhandling and shooting.

Old
06-16-2009, 01:22 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Do you play D? That wouldn't be out of the ordinary then.

Like I said, try and pick up a cheap $15-20 wood stick and cut it down a couple inches that you normally would. Try it out at puck and stick or open hockey or something like that and see how you like it. If it doesn't work out, it should be the perfect height for off ice stickhandling and shooting.
Good idea. Yeah, I do play D. I wasn't too worried about it but all the talk in the thread about cuttind down sticks altering the flex made me realize that I never cut mine. I was so comfortable with them off the shelf for so long now that I forgot that I don't cut them, but when we started discussing flex it occured to me. I'll have to grab a cheap stick and give it a shot for fun.

Old
06-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
I switched to a longer stick this year and like it, I was using a stick too short for me on purpose before and liked that for years.

I say go with what you are comfy with even if it is technically wrong. Dave reid had a very successful NHL career using a longer than normal stick. he stole pucks and killed penalties with it and loved the reach advantage which to me it sounds like you do as well.

By the way I switched to a longer stick out of slowing down a bit as I am getting older. I play a more defensive forward type now and like to kill penalties. I feel that the reach I get from a longer stick works very well for me.

To each his own man.

Old
06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I am 5'11 170 and I have a 110 flex. I have never had a slap shot (just couldn't get it) so I don't really use it. I have a good wrist and snap shot. I play forward so the slapper isn't crucial for me. I just haven't ever been able to lift my slap shot consistently
So I figured out my slap shot on Wednesday and got a little more control on it today. It was actually quite simple. Someone told me to move my bottom hand lower. I did and that caused me to get lower during the shot too and it worked. Now I have some laser shots, obviously I am trying to get a little more control of it for accuracy but I am very happy.

What do you guys think though, I have a 110 flex now. Would a lower flex give me a harder slap?

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
So I figured out my slap shot on Wednesday and got a little more control on it today. It was actually quite simple. Someone told me to move my bottom hand lower. I did and that caused me to get lower during the shot too and it worked. Now I have some laser shots, obviously I am trying to get a little more control of it for accuracy but I am very happy.

What do you guys think though, I have a 110 flex now. Would a lower flex give me a harder slap?
I personally think an 87 flex stick is good for you conmsidering your height and weight. It sounds like you are pretty good at torqueing a slapshot using the 110 flex. I use a 100-115 flex depending on if I can actually find something in a store. I just bought a Harrow 100 flex shaft and cut about on inch off of it making it a 105 flex.

I am 235 lbs though and 6ft 4in ... If you are using a 110 flex you should be having a harder time shooting wristshots at your height and weight so I am baffled by your statement of having good wristers.

Accuracy would also come from your followthrough and having a lighter flex to match your weight would help you be more accurate with your slapshot.

My best shot is the slapshot and I shoot them better than most people i have ever met and played with. It isn't a boast or a brag, it is just what it is.

I use a flex 100 or over because any less than that and I lose some zip and the stick feels too whippy and it seems to absorb too much of the energy and it gets lost in the launch of the slapshot.

Not sure if this even helps you out but honestly you using the 110 would be like me using a 125 flex or something and it just would not work for me I don't think. Then again I have never tried it either.

I can say that I have a better wristshot with a 100-105 flex than I do with a 115 flex. The slapshot with the 115 flex for me is merciless and brutally hard making that high pitched PING off the post pipe which gets couple of calls out during warmups from team mates. "That effing frigging shot of yours!".