HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation: The Laval Bulldogs ?

Old
06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Brodie
to the hall

vCash: 500
The Canadiens don't own the Bulldogs, they can't just put them wherever they want. They could buy another team, though.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:50 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Laval is a potato field, I don't see a professional hockey team live there anytime soon.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:25 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Why would the Canadiens agree to such a move? Simpler to expand the Brossard training facility and have everything centralized.
This is where you lose.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:29 PM
PrOuLx

it's logical if Phoenix are going to Hamilton.

Dallas done the same thing with Texas. They build an arena for their farm team and for the season 09-10 there is a new club in the AHL in Texas for the Stars.

PrOuLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
HCH

As a westerner, I know nothing about Laval but I think it would be great to get the Habs farm team away from the Hamilton area. The Canadiens already play second fiddle to the Leafs in that area and if another team ever moves to Southern Ontario, the Habs would fall to third, or fourth.

There are a lot of advantages in having your farm team in close proximity and that is probably the main attraction of Laval.

A 7,000 seat rink is more than adequate. The average attendance in the AHL last season was 5,115. None of the teams averaged 9,000 fans per game and only four exceeded 7,000. Hamilton average 4,624 and the Marlies averaged 3,728. That kind of attendance looks a lot better in a rink that seats 7,000 than it does in a rink that seats 16,000.

Personally, I would enjoy having the Habs farm team in Saskatoon but that is not realistic. Even though there are now two AHL teams in western Canada, it is too far from Montreal and makes shuttling of players between the AHL and NHL more difficult.

HCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:37 PM
redmachine54

In most of the Phoenix threads, the majority of speculation as to where the team will move is St. John's. Apparently the owner has agreed to move the team to St. John's if Phoenix moves to Hamilton.

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=250886&sc=83

Quote:
Upset his team has been left dangling in the wind as Hamilton hockey fans wait to see if the National Hockey League is headed to southern Ontario via Phoenix, Michael Andlauer is seeking shelter for his Bulldogs.

And that refuge may well be in St. John's.

"I like St. John's," said the majority owner of the American Hockey League's Hamilton Bulldogs since 2004.

"It's the first place we've looked at as a viable option."

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
They started talking about extending the subway to Laval in the 80s if I'm correct.
An old liberal trick: promisses just before the elections.

Why do you think Tremblay and Vaillancourt reunited a few months before the municipal elections to say they would extend the subway? The funniest part is that it is provincial money that would go in that project. They have no power on it. The saddest part is that the population is made at 90% of morons you will still vote for that.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:56 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Wow, that would be great (for me, of course)! It's just under 10 minutes away from my house.

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 01:46 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Is 7,000 seats enough for an AHL team? I know that the Copps and the Colisée could both seat around 15,000 people each...not saying they were fulling it every game though.

I really hope you weren't talking about the Colisée de Laval?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colis%C3%A9e_de_Laval

Barely 3500 people can fit there and the place is a real dump.

Being from Laval, this is what i've been hoping for a while.
And for all those dissing Laval and saying it's full of Farms, nobody lives there, only has shopping centers.... you can't be more uneducated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laval,_Quebec

"Laval is a city and a region in southwestern Quebec, Canada. With a population of 368,709 in 2006, it is the second largest city in Greater Montreal, and the third largest in the province of Quebec."

Remember, that was in 2006. It is one of the fastest growing and developping cities in the country, we should be at or near 400k inhabitants right now.

To Add:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
Laval ranks 14th largest city in Canada.

Laval population by year
1971 - 228,010
1976 - 246,240
1981 - 268,335
1986 - 290,791
1991 - 321,937
1996 - 334,882
2001 - 349,896
2006 - 376,845

Sorry I have to defend the city I live in. Nothing against anyone here .

"Bouledogues(lol) de Laval" I'm on board!!!

Go Habs Go!!!

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:05 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaIsHockey View Post

Go Habs Go!!!
Les Patates de Laval

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:05 PM
DaHabMan

good, then they'd be somewhat part of the montreal and could immerse in the pressure that is montreal hockey at a younger age.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:17 PM
marcolino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
College Letendre?
yes sir

marcolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmachine54 View Post
In most of the Phoenix threads, the majority of speculation as to where the team will move is St. John's. Apparently the owner has agreed to move the team to St. John's if Phoenix moves to Hamilton.

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=250886&sc=83
That's far from everything! I'm not sure it would be the best place to play for our young prospects. Having the team in Laval would be great though...a last second call-up would be possible!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
An old liberal trick: promisses just before the elections.

Why do you think Tremblay and Vaillancourt reunited a few months before the municipal elections to say they would extend the subway? The funniest part is that it is provincial money that would go in that project. They have no power on it. The saddest part is that the population is made at 90% of morons you will still vote for that.
? Old Liberal trick.... and then you mention two municipal politicians? Pretty weak.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Joe Cole

Regarding have a Q franchise in that building....

The fact that they put a Q franchise back in Verdun always amazed me. If the league is marketed as a family friendly event, go where the families who have disposable income.... north, south, east or west of the island.

To put it in Verdun... seems like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
? Old Liberal trick.... and then you mention two municipal politicians? Pretty weak.
I though that someone would bring such a reply without taking time to make verifications. I might be too well informed, but here is the explanation.

Tremblay is a former Liberal minister. As for Vaillancourt, my sources tell me he known as being near the Liberal Party. If you want to know if my source is good, here is an info it provided me: Minister Courchesne will leave the Liberal party within 12 months.

By the way, it is very naive to think that the different political levels aren't linked. Because if group A can help group B to get funding, then group B will help group A for the same reason.

One link about an activity were both were reunited (a Liberal activity and not a Provincial representative activity)
http://www.quebecpress.com/main.php?g2_itemId=1530

Or this other one about Paul Martin trying to bring Vaillancourt to his team.
"Paul Martin courtise des candidats vedettes: Selon des informations obtenues par Radio-Canada, le futur premier ministre du Canada cherche à recruter l'animateur de radio et de télévision Jean Lapierre et le maire de Laval, Gilles Vaillancourt. Article, Zone Nouvelles, 11 novembre 2003, et le reportage de Daniel Lessard." Found on : http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles...yperliens.html

See, even google can back infos from a source.

Last edited by Kafka: 06-12-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Bonin

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colis%C3%A9e_de_Laval

Barely 3500 people can fit there and the place is a real dump.

Being from Laval, this is what i've been hoping for a while.
And for all those dissing Laval and saying it's full of Farms, nobody lives there, only has shopping centers.... you can't be more uneducated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laval,_Quebec

"Laval is a city and a region in southwestern Quebec, Canada. With a population of 368,709 in 2006, it is the second largest city in Greater Montreal, and the third largest in the province of Quebec."

Remember, that was in 2006. It is one of the fastest growing and developping cities in the country, we should be at or near 400k inhabitants right now.

To Add:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
Laval ranks 14th largest city in Canada.

Laval population by year
1971 - 228,010
1976 - 246,240
1981 - 268,335
1986 - 290,791
1991 - 321,937
1996 - 334,882
2001 - 349,896
2006 - 376,845

Go Habs Go!!!
I think Laval recently passed Quebec and is now the second biggest city in the province...

Bonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 04:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Sure, I have no real objection but at same time, while people say "they can get into the pressure right away" remember, there's no way out after, and that may be an issue.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:37 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
As a westerner, I know nothing about Laval but I think it would be great to get the Habs farm team away from the Hamilton area. The Canadiens already play second fiddle to the Leafs in that area and if another team ever moves to Southern Ontario, the Habs would fall to third, or fourth.

There are a lot of advantages in having your farm team in close proximity and that is probably the main attraction of Laval.

A 7,000 seat rink is more than adequate. The average attendance in the AHL last season was 5,115. None of the teams averaged 9,000 fans per game and only four exceeded 7,000. Hamilton average 4,624 and the Marlies averaged 3,728. That kind of attendance looks a lot better in a rink that seats 7,000 than it does in a rink that seats 16,000.

Personally, I would enjoy having the Habs farm team in Saskatoon but that is not realistic. Even though there are now two AHL teams in western Canada, it is too far from Montreal and makes shuttling of players between the AHL and NHL more difficult.

Saskatoon does have a lovely rink...but as you say, it is a tad far.

It will stay in Eastern Canada somewhere if it is forced on the Habs is my best guess.

NWT Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 12:21 AM
MoonlightGraham

Hopefully they end up building this place, I'm all for better sports infrastructure, but you never know with construction in Quebec. But honestly, I can't see the Bulldogs moving there. Montreal can barely support a QJMHL team, let alone an AHL team. In the winter this is a Habs-only town.

MoonlightGraham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 12:57 AM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonin View Post
I think Laval recently passed Quebec and is now the second biggest city in the province...
nop
- City 491,142

but damn I would have rofled

knuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:59 AM
mrCoffea*

If they couldn't support les Titans, I can't see them supporting an AHL team

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
If they couldn't support les Titans, I can't see them supporting an AHL team
They suported the Titans/Voisins for a long time. But the building is a rat hole with water leaking from the roof (like so many arenas in the Province). A new building will bring much more people into it.

However, if the AHL plan doesn't work, how about a Q team ? With good marketing, it could work. However, I think Farell Miller would have a say about that one like he did with the Lewiston move. But it would be a great rivalry: Montreal vs Laval, suburbia vs downtown.

And I sure hope Montreal eventually steps up and builds this kind of building, because it's not acceptable that the Verdun Auditorium is the biggest hockey arena in the city... it's barely standing and so uncomfortable.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I would love this. I'd buy a crapload of tickets and I'm sure it could work well. An NHL team in Hamilton + the Bulldogs in Laval would make my sports summer.

Quote:
He's talking about the famous one in Quebec city...

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
I'm sure they could do well if it's mixed with a shopping center and new era with condos and stuff near the new metro line.

It would help the kids and give them the taste of what a carrer with the Habs would look like . They could train in Brossard at the top of the line complex Gillet just build for the team.

The AHL team in Quebec didn't work because people were relly over the Nordiques and it was in that old ass Colisé wich is surrounded by ugly 50's appartement blocks.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote