HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Official - Canucks Agree in Principle on Deal with Sergei Shirokov

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2009, 03:11 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Considering what this organization has done recently, with the nutritionists and trainers, to personal chefs that the players have access to, I'd be surprised if they didn't spend a little money on bringing in someone to help Shirokov to adjust to the new language, culture and NA life in general.

Seems like the club has no problem spending money on helping develop all of their assets, so it only makes sense that there's some type of personal "coach" brought in to help him out, if he needed it.

Old
06-12-2009, 03:18 PM
digger18

As far as Im concerned, the NHL should let Radlulov rot over in the KHL, after he bailed on his Nashville contract.

I wouldnt see a problem with hiring a coach/translator for Sergei, but you should only make roster spot decisions that make hockey sense, you dont just bring a player over to your team to hold another players hand.

Old
06-12-2009, 03:28 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Why would Gillis mess with a roster spot, just to bring another depth Russian over to teach Shirokov English and hold his hand?

Who helped Bure with his English?.......Gino Odjick.
It's been well documented that Bure was mistreated since the day he arrived in Vancouver which is why he requested a trade.

I'm glad Gillis believes in doing everything he possibly can to develop his asset properly.

Old
06-12-2009, 03:47 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Considering what this organization has done recently, with the nutritionists and trainers, to personal chefs that the players have access to, I'd be surprised if they didn't spend a little money on bringing in someone to help Shirokov to adjust to the new language, culture and NA life in general.

Seems like the club has no problem spending money on helping develop all of their assets, so it only makes sense that there's some type of personal "coach" brought in to help him out, if he needed it.
I'm sure Gillis has a good idea on what issues Russian players face when coming over to NA for pro hockey, after all he was Bure's agent.

I agree he will do something to help ease the transition for Shirokov.

Old
06-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
It's been well documented that Bure was mistreated since the day he arrived in Vancouver which is why he requested a trade.
The only mistreatment I'm aware of was respect to his contract/bonus money (he probably wasn't too happy about the fake story being "leaked" about him considering 'holding out' from playing in the Finals over that dispute).

Old
06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
The only mistreatment I'm aware of was respect to his contract/bonus money (he probably wasn't too happy about the fake story being "leaked" about him considering 'holding out' from playing in the Finals over that dispute).
This is quoted from Wetcoaster who has the whole story:

Quote:
As far as Bure finally demanding a trade, blame the Canucks management - they mishandled things with Bure from the day he left Russia. The Canucks would not make Bure a contrct offer so he was unable to get a visa to come to Canada. However he did have a visa to get into the US from his appearance in the 1989 World Juniors held in Anchorage Alaska. He used that visa to slip out of the Soviet Union and travelled to California.

The Canucks forced Bure to pay part of his own transfer fee to the Russian hockey authorities before they would sign him to his initial contract.

They left him dangling and sitting in the USA after he had left Russia with no contact from the Canucks management as they were not sure they wanted to sign him for the season. Brian Burke (then assistant GM) called once and then left him in limbo.

Bure was promised a new contract and substantial raise if he played well so he signed a low ball offer to "prove" himself ($585,360 and $467,820). I suppose the Calder Trophy as top rookie and following up with a 60 goal season did not count because the Canucks broke that promise. A bitter negotiation ensued over the next season during which Bure again scored 60 goals.

When the the new contract was finally prepared the Canucks pulled a "bait and switch" and tried to change the currency to Canadian dollars when no regular NHL players were signing Canadian dollar contracts let alone superstars. Bure finally signed for $4.5 million. He asked that Pat Quinn attend the contract signing so they could shake jhands and put the bad blood behind them - Quinn refused.

Quinn pulled a similar stunt with Wayne Gretzky when his agent, Mik Bartlett had reached a contract in principle in the middle of the night and Quinn demanded that Gretzky be dragged out of bed to sign the deal on the spot. Gretzky then signed with the Rangers. Could you have imagined Gretzky centering Bure???

After Bure finally signed his contract which included a guaranteed salary in the event of a lockout, the Canucks reneged on paying his salary for the lockout period. Bure had to take the Canucks to arbitration to get paid the money legally due to him.

The Canucks had a habit of breaking contracts as with Larionov and Krutov's transfer fee contracts. Arbitration was needed to force payment in that case as well.

BTW Bure never did threaten to hold out during the 1994 play-offs. First Quinn claimed he was told this by "one of my guys" (McPhee???) and then Quinn had to admit that was untrue during the arbitration hearing when he was placed under oath.

Quinn tried to blame the Bure hold out rumour on the media making up stories. It was just another story planted by the Canucks with the Canucks friendly media when the negotiations turned nasty - just like has been done with other players like Linden, Ohlund, Umberger, Klatt, etc.

Given the treatment by Canucks management, it is surprising that Bure had not demanded a trade before he did. When you have a superstar and an elite talent like Bure you do not go out of your way to deliberately PO such a player.

Old
06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
The Vengabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
There were constant shenanigans pulled by the Canuck's management, i.e. agreeing to a salary in US dollars and paying him in CAD (which at the time was a fair bit lower).

Last edited by The Vengabus: 06-12-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old
06-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factorial View Post
There was constant shenanigans pulled by the Canuck's management, i.e. agreeing to a salary in US dollars and paying him in CAD (which at the time was a fair bit lower).
Didn't Pat Quinn pull that stunt with Gelinas as well?

Old
06-12-2009, 04:19 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
This is quoted from Wetcoaster who has the whole story:
**** me....no wonder we have such a hard time luring Free Agents over.

Old
06-12-2009, 04:24 PM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

You know...if I'd heard that entire story back then, I probably wouldn't be a Canucks fan today (those were opinion forming years for me)...

Old
06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post

The Canucks failed to do that with Krutov. They just basically dumped him in an apartment and that was it. Plus there was a snafu with his family's visas in the Canadian embassy and Krutov had to leave to try to straighten it out.

Larionov and his wife (a top figure skater who had spent time in the West) both spoke English so not too much problem for them.

Calgary arranged for Makharov and his family to live with a Russian speaking family in Calgary. It made things much easier for his wife and kids when he was away with the team.

Old
06-12-2009, 05:07 PM
God
Free Citizen

It's absolutely disgusting how we treated Bure, and I hate that the media completely spun the story around to make him seem like a prima donna.

I'm so glad that Gillis is taking a completely different approach.

Old
06-12-2009, 05:07 PM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The Canucks failed to do that with Krutov. They just basically dumped him in an apartment and that was it. Plus there was a snafu with his family's visas in the Canadian embassy and Krutov had to leave to try to straighten it out.

Larionov and his wife (a top figure skater who had spent time in the West) both spoke English so not too much problem for them.

Calgary arranged for Makharov and his family to live with a Russian speaking family in Calgary. It made things much easier for his wife and kids when he was away with the team.
Stop randomly throwing stories from more than a decade ago out. Did you even read his post, which contains the qualifier RECENTLY?

This is now a completely different management team, different organization. I don't know why you are still going on about stories of Krutov and Bure, which you just love to copy and paste out of your Word file whenever you get the slightest chance to.

Old
06-12-2009, 05:08 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

I could definitely see the Canucks pursuing a quality Russian FA to act as a mentor for a guy with as much potential as Shirokov. Much credit to Mike Gillis for running this organization with the utmost class.

Old
06-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Haka

I was just thinking the same thing, even before Shirokov, how good would Frolov be in a Canucks uniform? He's Russian, which Gillis said was an underrated commodity, but even further, I think Frolov is really underrated after being buried in LA. He's mostly been playing with not very high calibre linemates, all the while putting up solid numbers and exceptional defense. He's strong on the puck and has played with Demitra before, and could help Shirokov.

He's a solid goalscoring threat millions cheaper and less risky than say Gaborik.

Frolov plz.

Old
06-12-2009, 05:15 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haka View Post
I was just thinking the same thing, even before Shirokov, how good would Frolov be in a Canucks uniform? He's Russian, which Gillis said was an underrated commodity, but even further, I think Frolov is really underrated after being buried in LA. He's mostly been playing with not very high calibre linemates, all the while putting up solid numbers and exceptional defense. He's strong on the puck and has played with Demitra before, and could help Shirokov.

He's a solid goalscoring threat millions cheaper and less risky than say Gaborik.

Frolov plz.
That wouldn't be a bad option, I was thinking Zubov would be great short-term addition to the defence and a great mentor to Shirokov.

Old
06-12-2009, 05:25 PM
God
Free Citizen

I've wanted the Canucks to make a pitch for Frolov for a while but his contract is a freaking bargain and LA needs a guy like him. I don't see them moving him at all.

Zubov would be great. He's a machine.

Old
06-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Bullet Tooth Tony

I wonder how healthy Zubie is though...

I'm not sure I'd want to create room for some Russian scrub babysit Shirokov when he's not even a lock to make the team, but I'd certainly want to accomodate him. I don't know, maybe one of our current players knows Russian anyways? If not, maybe hire an interpreter? Oh, and I agree with all the sentiments expressed in this thread... it's nice to see some talent coming up through the system, and actually having some competition in our camps!

Old
06-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Tiranis

Demitra might know Russian, but it's a stretch... at the time when he grew up he would've had to learn in in School in Czechoslovakia... but who knows if he remembers, paid attention in school, etc.

Old
06-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Sergei Fedorov for 2 mil

Yeah probably not...

Old
06-12-2009, 09:48 PM
rye&ginger

There will be plenty of local Russians who can help him out.

Old
06-12-2009, 10:44 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
I could definitely see the Canucks pursuing a quality Russian FA to act as a mentor for a guy with as much potential as Shirokov. Much credit to Mike Gillis for running this organization with the utmost class.
Doubt it.

Shirokov is a middling B-level prospect whose chances of making the team next year are likely well below 50% as it stands right now.

You make that sort of accomodation if you draft a Malkin or Ovechkin. Not for a 6th round pick.

I'm sure the club will hire an interpreter to work with him and some language coaches, and do everything possible to ease his transition. But that will be as far as it goes.

Old
06-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
I'm not going to get my hopes too high...

from what i can tell, the russian players have a real hard time adapting to the NHL, not to mention the AHL. I'm sure they think the AHL is bush league compared to KHL, the money certainly is, and being in smaller towns the Russian community is that much smaller. IIRC that the Habs had a defense prospect in Hamilton who went back to Russia because of family issues, signed in the KHL and never came back.

For an NHL team to do well with Russian players probably requires a concerted effort to have more than 1 or 2 in the lineup and a way to deal with the AHL issue.

Old
06-13-2009, 12:21 AM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
I'm not going to get my hopes too high...

from what i can tell, the russian players have a real hard time adapting to the NHL, not to mention the AHL. I'm sure they think the AHL is bush league compared to KHL, the money certainly is, and being in smaller towns the Russian community is that much smaller. IIRC that the Habs had a defense prospect in Hamilton who went back to Russia because of family issues, signed in the KHL and never came back.

For an NHL team to do well with Russian players probably requires a concerted effort to have more than 1 or 2 in the lineup and a way to deal with the AHL issue.
Wouldn't you think Gillis would think of all those variables before making a potential 1.8 million dollar investment?

Gillis is shrewd enough to orchestrate a plan for Shirokov so the transition is seamless.

Old
06-13-2009, 12:57 AM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post

I think Krutov ate his translator on the flight over.

Closed Thread