HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie cowlings question.

Old
06-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Rickety Cricket

vCash: 500
Goalie cowlings question.

I have a pair of Graf 750 goalie skates that I've had for the past 5 years or so. The steel on the blade is wearing very thin at this point and needs to be replaced. I contacted the place I got them from and asked if cowlings could be replaced and they said that they could and they would call Graf for me and see if they had my size in stock (6). They called me back a couple of days later and said that Graf didn't have them in stock and didn't know when they would have them in stock but have cowlings for a size 7 skate. The store rep told me he thinks he it should be fine but he doesn't want to promise it to me and have it not be fine. Does anyone have any experience with this. I'd rather go with the replacing the cowling part as it is much cheaper than buying a new pair.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I have a pair of Graf 750 goalie skates that I've had for the past 5 years or so. The steel on the blade is wearing very thin at this point and needs to be replaced. I contacted the place I got them from and asked if cowlings could be replaced and they said that they could and they would call Graf for me and see if they had my size in stock (6). They called me back a couple of days later and said that Graf didn't have them in stock and didn't know when they would have them in stock but have cowlings for a size 7 skate. The store rep told me he thinks he it should be fine but he doesn't want to promise it to me and have it not be fine. Does anyone have any experience with this. I'd rather go with the replacing the cowling part as it is much cheaper than buying a new pair.
I would recommend a new pair of skates. Well, when I say new, I mean new to you. Used skates will work fine. Go to Play it Again Sports to see if they have any used one in your size. You might have to say good by to those Grafs for something else.

Try also looking at HockeyMonkey. A lot of goalies tell me that they find really great deals on this site. Good luck.

Just checked ebay: Check this out...
http://cgi.ebay.com/RBK-5K-SENIOR-GO...3A1%7C294%3A50

Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 06-13-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
I would recommend a new pair of skates. Well, when I say new, I mean new to you. Used skates will work fine. Go to Play it Again Sports to see if they have any used one in your size. You might have to say good by to those Grafs for something else.

Try also looking at HockeyMonkey. A lot of goalies tell me that they find really great deals on this site. Good luck.

Just checked ebay: Check this out...
http://cgi.ebay.com/RBK-5K-SENIOR-GO...3A1%7C294%3A50

Head coach
I'm thinking this the best route, thanks. As for the ebay suggestion, those look like a great deal. The closest place with goalie skates around my size is in Oakland which is pretty far away from me. Does anyone know the size conversion between Graf and Reebok (Do Grafs run bigger compared to Rbk's or vice-versa).

Old
06-20-2009, 06:30 AM
paulster2626

You've spent a long time moulding your skates to your feet - hang on to them as long as possible. I'd replace the cowlings if the shop wasn't going to charge an arm and a leg.

Do you really want to put your sweaty, nasty feet inside something that has held someone else's sweaty, nasty feet? Gross!

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 04:04 AM
Rickety Cricket

I decided to buy a new pair of skates, tried them out during a game today and they felt good.