HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal: Rozsival

Old
06-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Duponttime*

vCash: 500
Proposal: Rozsival

Reading here it seems Habs fans are in agreement that the team needs help on defense.

How about Rosival and a second for Latendresse. Rosival can play top 4 minutes and handle physical play. He can move the puck as well. 3 years at 5 million left on his contract and considering how bad defenseman are around the league making close to that, he probably could help your defense out a lot.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

No ****ing way. We already have overpaid Hamrlik in our top 6.. bringing Rozsival will handcuff us for 3 extra years.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Duponttime*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
No ****ing way. We already have overpaid Hamrlik in our top 6.. bringing Rozsival will handcuff us for 3 extra years.
Well, any top 4 defenseman who can play 20 minutes and be solid is going to cost 4-5 million today. I don't think bringing in a productive player on defense who can play 20 minutes is handcuffing a team. Especially if the defensive unit needs some help. Redden is handcuffing a team because he doesn't play well.

Old
06-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarentobjective View Post
Reading here it seems Habs fans are in agreement that the team needs help on defense.

How about Rosival and a second for Latendresse. Rosival can play top 4 minutes and handle physical play. He can move the puck as well. 3 years at 5 million left on his contract and considering how bad defenseman are around the league making close to that, he probably could help your defense out a lot.
What a horrible deal that would be. Let's trade one of our best young players(and one of the few with size and skill) for a guy the rangers would love to dump his contract.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:21 PM
MathMan

For 4-5 million I would want a better player than Roszival. And I'd rather keep Latendresse, an underrated, 21-year old NHLer with many of the qualities the Habs are said to need.

I'd rather dedicate those dollars to Komisarek.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:23 PM
holyhabs87

no thank you

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:23 PM
MathMan

Besides, I think the upgrade the Habs needed on D has already been made.

Behind the bench.

I don't think it was really a player personnel problem.

Old
06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Duponttime*

Last time I looked, Latendresse was being destroyed by the press in Montreal for being lazy and untimotivated. Now he's this fantastic young player. The reality is that unless you draft great, you are going to pay for players that can play 20 minutes a game. You have to ask yourself this. Who is more valuable over the next 3 years playing against Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Semin, E. Staal, ect.... Rosival or Latendresse. The reality is that teams in the East are going to have to stop those guys and you need defenseman that can go out there and play solid hockey. Rosival is a solid defenseman. The Rangers have an excess of defense prospects ready to make the jump to the NHL so they can afford to risk dealing him.

Your best defenseman other than Markov is probably going to get 5 years at 6 million on the market. So, that is going to make your defense even weaker. Unless you feel that you have 2-3 defense prospects that can come in and instantly play well, if you don't sure up the defense, you might as well write next year off.

Old
06-13-2009, 06:35 PM
redmachine54

I'd probably be more inclined to think about the deal if Hamrlik wasn't under contract. Having Markov, Hamrlik, and Roszival under contract for 16.25 million is too much to swallow.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:42 PM
goalchenyuk

i would prefer the Habs to keep Latendresse and sign Beauchemin .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:50 PM
PJ Wiggum

Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
If you are looking to trade for a d man then I would suggest something based around Halak for Smid because he is younger, cheaper, and a pretty solid defensive guy that would go well with Gorges on the 3rd pairing. Edmonton would possibly do this if they have trouble retaining Roloson or finding a replacement on the free agent market and with the amount of defensive depth they have they aren't really creating a hole.

PJ Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:51 PM
marc88

why don't we give our young players a break and not give up on them at age 21

marc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:13 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Last time I looked, Latendresse was being destroyed by the press in Montreal for being lazy and untimotivated. Now he's this fantastic young player.
I'm guessing you haven't looked recently, then, as he's been credited with a serious turnaround lately. Surely there have been no complaints since long before he came back from injury. But all in all, he's had an excellent year and the only downside is that he was hurt for much of it.

Be that as it may, his stats have never supported the criticism levelled at him. People blamed him for not following the style they projected onto him, rather than his results. He was being blamed for not being a crazy banger, despite being an effective physical scorer. And his stats have improved every year.

Now he's adding banging to the scoring. This is an improving young power foward and the Habs who so dearly need a player like this would be crazy to part with him.

There's also a large segment of the population that bashed him because he was a highly-touted francophone that got built up by the media before making the team.

Quote:
You have to ask yourself this. Who is more valuable over the next 3 years playing against Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Semin, E. Staal, ect.... Rosival or Latendresse.
Latendresse is one of the Habs' very best 5-on-5 scorers over the last three years, on a team that has trouble scoring 5-on-5, and he's 21-years-old so there's plenty of room for improvement. I daresay Latendresse will be more valuable over the next three years, let alone in five.

Besides, if Lats is so worthless and Roszival so valuable, why do you, as a Rangers fan, want to make that trade?

Quote:
The Rangers have an excess of defense prospects ready to make the jump to the NHL so they can afford to risk dealing him.
You have to realize that the Habs are in the exact same situation on that count -- they have more defensive prospects than roster spots. Adding Roszival would use up a roster spot far in the future when those guys are ready.

Quote:
Your best defenseman other than Markov is probably going to get 5 years at 6 million on the market.
Hamrlik is already under contract at 5.5....

Oh, you mean Komisarek? Great player, but he's not Montreal's second-best D-man, and he's not irreplaceable. Well, his intangibles and physicality would be tough to lose, but his defense can be replaced.

Quote:
Unless you feel that you have 2-3 defense prospects that can come in and instantly play well, if you don't sure up the defense, you might as well write next year off.
Montreal has plenty of cap space to make acquisitions with. If they are going to explore the trade route, they can probably get better players than Roszival and keep valuable chips such as Latendresse.

Last edited by MathMan: 06-13-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old
06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
kovalost27

That would be a decent deal if Komisarek doesn't pan out. I would do that deal. Latendresse will never score more than 30-40 points a season and that is being very generous. Are you sure New York would trade a top 4 defenseman for a big body with little hockey sense and stone hands?

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
That would be a decent deal if Komisarek doesn't pan out. I would do that deal. Latendresse will never score more than 30-40 points a season and that is being very generous. Are you sure New York would trade a top 4 defenseman for a big body with little hockey sense and stone hands?
This guy with little hockey sense and stone hands could make you look like a little girl on the ice.
Latendresse has way better hands and hockey sense then what you give him credits for !

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

**** that. Latendresse looks like he's poised to have a good season, as he played strong in the few games he was in. He might actually turn into a power forward with 20 goals or so for us.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 09:25 PM
kovalost27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
This guy with little hockey sense and stone hands could make you look like a little girl on the ice.
I agree, too bad he can't do the same against NHL players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Latendresse has way better hands and hockey sense then what you give him credits for !
I said 40 points. You sure as hell ain't gonna see anything more than that.

For a second and Roszival, you would have to be nuts not to trade Latendresse.

Old
06-13-2009, 09:29 PM
MathMan

Quote:
I said 40 points. You sure as hell ain't gonna see anything more than that.
His scoring rates at 21 year old disagree with you.

Quote:
For a second and Roszival, you would have to be nuts not to trade Latendresse.
You'd have to be nuts to do it.

Old
06-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If Montréal can sign another good defensive first type player, I'd trade Hamrlik for Rozsival and a pick.

I'd also be willing to see what the Rangers would want for Staal. Though, he's pretty much untouchable.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 09:37 PM
kovalost27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
His scoring rates at 21 year old disagree with you.
He should be in the AHL if he wants to do anything in the NHL. It ll give him a place to shoot 300 shots a season instead of 100. Now they're either just wasting his talent (which I don't see) or we're just happy that he's a local boy playing on the team's third line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
You'd have to be nuts to do it.
Second round pick + Top four puck moving defenseman with offensive upside < Latendresse?

I don't think so.

Old
06-13-2009, 09:41 PM
MathMan

Quote:
He should be in the AHL if he wants to do anything in the NHL.
He's had seasons of 16 and 16 goal and was on pace for a 20-goal season this year, if you project over 82 games. This on the third line with marginal PP time. He's clearly a NHLer.

I agree with you that he's being a bit wasted -- they need to give him more icetime.

Quote:
Second round pick + Top four puck moving defenseman with offensive upside < Latendresse?
Your irrational hatred of Latendresse is clearly altering your position, but I also think Roszival isn't quite as good as you make him out to be.

There's also the money issue. He's an useful player, but he's overpaid and we should be able to get someone as good for less money.

Old
06-13-2009, 09:45 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If Montréal can sign another good defensive first type player, I'd trade Hamrlik for Rozsival and a pick.
I'd keep Hamrlik. The savings in salary is not worth the difference and pick.

Old
06-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think I'd take Rozsival for free at this point. I think we could spend the same money on the UFA market more productively. Or at least we really ought to be able to.

It's another case of one of those timing things. Teams who want to dump contracts like Rozsival's, well, they want to clear cap space to play on the UFA market. But other teams (like us) will want to play too. So it just doesn't work out at the moment.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 10:59 PM
otto bond

Quote:
He should be in the AHL if he wants to do anything in the NHL. It ll give him a place to shoot 300 shots a season instead of 100. Now they're either just wasting his talent (which I don't see) or we're just happy that he's a local boy playing on the team's third line.

I don't think so.
Well, if I'm Bob Gainey, no way I do this deal. Make it you first round pick and I'll think about it. But really, no need to do this.
Why? Simply cause the Rangers are in a very bad spot cap wise. Can the habs take the Rosival contract? Yes but for Tender its a no.
We spent 3 years with this Kid and he has improved and is about to come into his own. I'm thinking that with Lapierre they have something special and it's a great sign for next year.
Do the Hab need help on the back end?YES but.....
Buttom line is , the Habs have better options this summer. Unless everything goes sour, they are in a position of power in a trade vs a team like the Rangers where has cap space is worth more then what the player coming back.
In a non cap world, fair proposal.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Don't we have enough of one overpaid defenseman?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote