HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal: Rozsival

Old
06-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What a horrible deal that would be. Let's trade one of our best young players(and one of the few with size and skill) for a guy the rangers would love to dump his contract.
wtf?

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 10:18 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
wtf?
There is no WTF.

At 21 years old, his scoring is very solid, especially considering big forwards devellop slower.

Keep Lats.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 10:20 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Don't we have enough of one overpaid defenseman?
Who are we to say that they are overpaid? Sure cap wise he is a gamble. I believe that Rozsival could be a solid addition if other option doesn't pan out.
Also the last time I check, we have a Dman that is the best buck in the NHL and that's Markov. Looks like he could have add 6.5 to 7+ million a/year.What a steal that is in todays NHL

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Etienne

I have been one of Latendresse's most merciless basher over the last 3 years (i still think he had no business being on the team in his rookie season), but he improved well this season. I hope he'll keep work on his skating like he did last summer because it really is his biggest weakness.

Besides, I think he's nearly as untouchable as Price and Markov. One reason why I like Gainey is the way he doesn't let public opinion influence his decisions. However, with the whole "Habs back in francophones' hands" propaganda going on right now, there's no way him or Laps get traded.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 10:27 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Nope.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 10:30 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarentobjective View Post
Reading here it seems Habs fans are in agreement that the team needs help on defense.

How about Rosival and a second for Latendresse. Rosival can play top 4 minutes and handle physical play. He can move the puck as well. 3 years at 5 million left on his contract and considering how bad defenseman are around the league making close to that, he probably could help your defense out a lot.

Would u do a Hamrlik for Callahan trade?

EveryDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Who are we to say that they are overpaid? Sure cap wise he is a gamble. I believe that Rozsival could be a solid addition if other option doesn't pan out.
Also the last time I check, we have a Dman that is the best buck in the NHL and that's Markov. Looks like he could have add 6.5 to 7+ million a/year.What a steal that is in todays NHL
I know and that's why we should push for J-Bo. 8 millions/year as cap hit if we have to. Markov's next contract can be frontloaded à la Red Wings, he'll be 32 at the end of his current one, and Hammer's finishes at the same time as Markov. I'd rather have a 25 mils defense for the next 2 years and keep Markov + J-Bo long term than spend big money on an average top line forward. Outside Vinny and Marleau (who has a NTC), there's not much choices for big #1 center this summer, so I'd rather set the D and wait for the right time to grab the big center we're all waiting for.

Price, the Kostitsyns, Lapierre, Lats, Pacioretty and the other young guys are gonna be a hell of a lot better in 2-3 years than they are now, especially if Martin is as good as they say for developing young players. That's kind of what I hope Gainey or whoever replaces him has in mind.

Last edited by Etienne: 06-13-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
There is no WTF.

At 21 years old, his scoring is very solid, especially considering big forwards devellop slower.

Keep Lats.
I didn't mention any need to trade Latendresse, but if he is "one of our best young players", we are in trouble. He manages to keep an NHL job, but there are many Latendresses out there to be had.

Old
06-13-2009, 10:58 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
I didn't mention any need to trade Latendresse, but if he is "one of our best young players", we are in trouble. He manages to keep an NHL job, but there are many Latendresses out there to be had.
If this is the case, I hope you say the exact same about Carey Price.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
If this is the case, I hope you say the exact same about Carey Price.
They're pretty much in the same boat except Price has one less season under his belt, was selected 5th overall, came 4th in Calder Trophy, won Calder Cup and many other credentials that make him less expendable.

Hey I don't mind if Latendresse is forever a 30-40 points getter, I don't want that to be "one of our best young players". If he was physical (arguable) or had leadership or any other attributes to boast his "package", he would be in our best young hopes.

Old
06-13-2009, 11:11 PM
MathMan

Quote:
If he was physical (arguable) or had leadership or any other attributes to boast his "package", he would be in our best young hopes.
He's a physical goal-scorer who's 21 years old. He's one of the teams' best ES scorers ever since he came into the team.

What do you think that makes him?

30-40 points is hardly is ceiling. Try "goals".

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 11:19 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarentobjective View Post
Reading here it seems Habs fans are in agreement that the team needs help on defense.

How about Rosival and a second for Latendresse. Rosival can play top 4 minutes and handle physical play. He can move the puck as well. 3 years at 5 million left on his contract and considering how bad defenseman are around the league making close to that, he probably could help your defense out a lot.
I wouldn't take Rosival if here were on waivers for free. He is grossly, obscenely overpaid.

If the organization wanted an overpaid softish defenseman with issues in his own end but offensive abilities, they would have re-signed Mark Streit.

His contract is a horrible value. Big time pass.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
He's a physical goal-scorer who's 21 years old. He's one of the teams' best ES scorers ever since he came into the team.

What do you think that makes him?

30-40 points is hardly is ceiling. Try "goals".
Latendresse is far and away from being the prototypical power forward everyone claims him to be. Please, I've watched as many games as the rest of you and quit trying to make me and others believe that Latendresse is a physical player.

Yes he has improved greatly this season, but he still has ways to go before being a physical presence. Playing physical doesn't mean having size and throwing your body around.

Old
06-14-2009, 12:15 AM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Latendresse is far and away from being the prototypical power forward everyone claims him to be. Please, I've watched as many games as the rest of you and quit trying to make me and others believe that Latendresse is a physical player.

Yes he has improved greatly this season, but he still has ways to go before being a physical presence. Playing physical doesn't mean having size and throwing your body around.
Well, Lats did have 140 hits in 56 games last year that makes him a pretty physical player in the NHL. However, I do believe in order for Lats to become a true power forward he only needs to change one thing in his game and that is "go to the net more." He really needs to start to get his hands dirty and get those garbage goals. He has the hands for it he just needs the motivation to take the punishment inside rather than staying on the outside most of the time.

As for Lats for Rozsvial and a second, the only way I do this trade for any Habs player is if Dubinsky is involved. As for this particular trade I would pass, Lats is only 22 and has way more to show the Habs. Just think of Leclair and look what happened when we traded him.

HabsAtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:36 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Frankly it doesn't matter whether you think he's physical or not. Simply look at the stat sheet and look how many hits the man recorded this season. The stats don't lie, the man plays a physical style, and your failure to notice the obivious doesn't change that.

Old
06-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Frankly it doesn't matter whether you think he's physical or not. Simply look at the stat sheet and look how many hits the man recorded this season. The stats don't lie, the man plays a physical style, and your failure to notice the obivious doesn't change that.
Sorry, my definition of physical player does not limit itself to having a large number of hits on the stat sheet.

Old
06-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takabru View Post
Well, Lats did have 140 hits in 56 games last year that makes him a pretty physical player in the NHL. However, I do believe in order for Lats to become a true power forward he only needs to change one thing in his game and that is "go to the net more." He really needs to start to get his hands dirty and get those garbage goals. He has the hands for it he just needs the motivation to take the punishment inside rather than staying on the outside most of the time.

As for Lats for Rozsvial and a second, the only way I do this trade for any Habs player is if Dubinsky is involved. As for this particular trade I would pass, Lats is only 22 and has way more to show the Habs. Just think of Leclair and look what happened when we traded him.
I never said I would trade Latendresse, that would be stupid since he is 22 years old. I was just reacting to the statement that he is one of our best young players.

Old
06-14-2009, 12:59 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Sorry, my definition of physical player does not limit itself to having a large number of hits on the stat sheet.
So your definition of a physical player doesn't limit itself to the player actually playing physically?

I suppose you don't define a goal scorer by how many goals he scores either?

You said that you're tired of people "trying to make you believe he's a physical player" and now you've added that your definition of a physical player isn't limited to having a large number of hits, which, would seemingly be a very obvious way to measure whether a player is physical or not.

I'm sure I'm not the only one confused by this, so please, do tell us how you gauge if a player is physical or not.

Old
06-14-2009, 01:33 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Playing physical doesn't mean having size and throwing your body around.
Well, then, what do you want him to do? Lats hits people, he protects the puck along the walls well, and for all the warts people find with him his game is somehow effective enough to make him the most productive goal-scorer of this team outside of Tanguay.

The one strike against him is that he's not effective on the power play and it's something that tends to come with experience.

I'm not sure what all the irrational bashers really want him to do. Except fight. Which, for my money, would be pretty much useless.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 03:55 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
So your definition of a physical player doesn't limit itself to the player actually playing physically?

I suppose you don't define a goal scorer by how many goals he scores either?

You said that you're tired of people "trying to make you believe he's a physical player" and now you've added that your definition of a physical player isn't limited to having a large number of hits, which, would seemingly be a very obvious way to measure whether a player is physical or not.

I'm sure I'm not the only one confused by this, so please, do tell us how you gauge if a player is physical or not.

My guess is his definition for a power forward includes having the will power to go directly to the net. Also good powerforwards have strength jo jostle with big defencemen and to ability persist there. This is something you wont see on the stats sheet, you need to watch games. Latendresse doesnt do that much, does he? (PS. This is not meant to bash Lats or anything, hes a young and big guys usually take more time to develop).

Hits are good for sapping energy from other team, but they still are only secondary, imho.

---

Commenting on the deal... if we have little success attracting free agents, this is something Gainey may have to do. And Roszival seems like a very good target too (size similar to Hamrlik, RH shot for our PP), but I wouldnt be willing to give up young assets from playing lineup for this trade, which is clearly an attempt to dump salary.

I'd rather send pick/prospect and want to do some recycling too (Laraque).

Last edited by Marksman: 06-14-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Duponttime*

Problem with that is you don't have any forwards in the system that make sense for the Rangers. Your best prospects not in the NHL are either on defense or at center which the Rangers have no need for. If you are going to get a Rosival, you have to give up a young offensive player on your roster. Rangers defenseman were outstanding other than Redden. They took a ton of crap for no reason at all. Due to the incompetence of the forwards to keep the puck in the other teams zone, they had to play in their zone a ton all last season which is very difficult.

Rangers need to add a wing.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Marksman

How about Sergei Kostitsyn for Roszival and pick (to make up for the salary)?

I know some people wont like this, but I think split would do both brothers some good, much like it did for Grabovski.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

We should go out and get a few of them instead of S.Kostystyns and Plekanecs then.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Well, then, what do you want him to do? Lats hits people, he protects the puck along the walls well, and for all the warts people find with him his game is somehow effective enough to make him the most productive goal-scorer of this team outside of Tanguay.

The one strike against him is that he's not effective on the power play and it's something that tends to come with experience.

I'm not sure what all the irrational bashers really want him to do. Except fight. Which, for my money, would be pretty much useless.

He was very effective on the PP when they actually put him on it. The few games he was a regular on the #1 unit they scored some screened goals where he gave the goalie no chance to see anything.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:47 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Your definition<<<<the rest of the world's definition.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote