HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

NHL 10 worst contracts.. Briere #6

Old
06-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
NHL 10 worst contracts.. Briere #6

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1180081/

Quote:
1. Wade Redden, Rangers
2. Scott Gomez, Rangers
3. Chris Drury, Rangers
4. Brian Campbell, Blackhawks
5. Shawn Horcoff, Oilers
6. Daniel Briere, Flyers: The annual salary-cap hit is $6.5-million, but that's because the final two years of the eight-year, $52-million contract are cheap $3-million and $2-million respectively. But any team interested in Briere's right would need to pay him $8-million and then three years at $7-million to get to that light at the end of the tunnel. Small and coming off abdominal surgery that limited him to 29 games, Briere will be difficult to move, and not just because he has a no-movement clause in his contract.
7. J.S. Giguere, Anaheim
8. Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa
9. Ryan Smyth, Colorado
10. Ryan Malone, Tampa
Briere is probably not tradable. Simon Gagne had a bounce-back season (74 points in 79 games), although there'll be lingering concussion fears there. His contract is reasonable for his production (two more years at $5.25-million), but he has a no-trade clause as well. Joffrey Lupul (50 points in 79 games, but a defensive liability) is another player they could gladly do without but again, for what cost? Holmgren clearly has his work cut out for him.

imo points wise he is not bad. Better then most on that list with exception of VL.

109 games, scored 42 goals 97pts -23, .88 PPG 23 playoff games, scored 10 goals 20pts. In last 2 seasons Briere missed 53 games (thanks Flyers medical staff)
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1748

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-14-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Quotes placed around part of the article
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 09:23 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Surprised Brad Richards isn't on the list near the bottom. I think he deserves to be there much more than Vinny.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 09:48 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
oh damn, the rangers are really caught by the short and curlies on this list.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 09:56 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
yeah Richards, B is worse than Briere. 7.8 freaking million

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:07 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Brad Richards should be near the top of that list

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
yeah Richards, B is worse than Briere. 7.8 freaking million
It's only two more years which is a little saving grace in that deal. One might also think that the teams respective situation has something to do with these evaluations. Richards is Dallas' first line center whereas Briere isn't for the Flyers.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:14 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
[

109 games, scored 42 goals 97pts -23, .88 PPG 23 playoff games, scored 10 goals 20pts. In last 2 seasons Briere missed 53 games (thanks Flyers medical staff)
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1748
I am going to give the Flyers medical staff a pass on this one. I think this was Briere's fault more then anything not being in shape at training camp that led to his problems. For once I am giving the medical staff a pass on this one.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:23 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I am going to give the Flyers medical staff a pass on this one. I think this was Briere's fault more then anything not being in shape at training camp that led to his problems. For once I am giving the medical staff a pass on this one.
Do you have any evidence supporting this?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:36 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Do you have any evidence supporting this?
No i dont. I just call it a hunch. Hence why I said I think.

Do we have any evidence to support it was the Flyers medical staff in this case? No we dont.

Old
06-14-2009, 10:40 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
No i dont. I just call it a hunch. Hence why I said I think.
I think that's ridiculous, there is absolutely no evidence that Briere either showed up in great shape or out of shape.

However, it's worth noting that Briere has worked out in the offseason in the past with Hugo Girard, the Canadian candidate in the strongest man competition which if anything, shows commitment to becoming stronger and more durable.

Gagne suffered from a groin injury for most of 02-03 and was ineffective a lot of the time when he played, was he out of shape too?

EDIT:

So on the one hand, we have the out of shape theory despite the fact that Briere has shown hard-core dedication to getting stronger.

On the other hand, we have the Flyers training staff theory, the training staff has been notorious for rushing players back before they're ready. They've been sued for it and look what happened with Gagne last year.

Old
06-14-2009, 10:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:

On the other hand, we have the Flyers training staff theory, the training staff has been notorious for rushing players back before they're ready. They've been sued for it and look what happened with Gagne last year.
look I said it was a hunch. Thats all. Am I wrong? Probably, but people blaming the training staff for every injury the Flyers get is a bit much too.
Are they at fault sometimes? sure. But to use them as a scapegoat for every groin pull, every muscle pull is a bit much. At some point the player as to take responsibilty to be in shape.

Old
06-14-2009, 10:53 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
look I said it was a hunch. Thats all. Am I wrong? Probably, but people blaming the training staff for every injury the Flyers get is a bit much too.
Are they at fault sometimes? sure. But to use them as a scapegoat for every groin pull, every muscle pull is a bit much. At some point the player as to take responsibilty to be in shape.
A groin pull has nothing to do with being in shape or not. I don't know how much the training staff had to do with this one (not much is my guess), but a groin pull is just an injury that takes a damn long time to heal, especially for a hockey player since hockey requires so much core strength and flexibility.

I think Briere was unlucky to get that abdominal injury and then may have rushed to come back (every player is going to want to come back early) and picked up the groin problem.

I think the onus is on the medical staff to keep Briere from coming back until he's 100% healthy, that's their frickin job. I find it at least suspicious that Briere got a clean bill of health from the staff and then picks up an extremely similar injury in his first or second game back.

Old
06-14-2009, 10:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Hmmm. Not like Duhatschek to rip guys like that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Selanne08*

how is allstar Jiggy on that list

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:02 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Hmmm. Not like Duhatschek to rip guys like that.
As much as we're going to have trouble with some of our deals, I feel really bad for Hawks fans when it's time for some of their young guys to get paid and they have Campbell at 7.14 mill on the books.

Old
06-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Opus

Quote:
A groin pull has nothing to do with being in shape or not. I don't know how much the training staff had to do with this one (not much is my guess), but a groin pull is just an injury that takes a damn long time to heal, especially for a hockey player since hockey requires so much core strength and flexibility.

I think Briere was unlucky to get that abdominal injury and then may have rushed to come back (every player is going to want to come back early) and picked up the groin problem.

I think the onus is on the medical staff to keep Briere from coming back until he's 100% healthy, that's their frickin job. I find it at least suspicious that Briere got a clean bill of health from the staff and then picks up an extremely similar injury in his first or second game back.
I'm not blaming Briere in any way, shape or form...but it could be possible that the workouts he conducts with Hugo in the off season, aren't exactly 'groin friendly'. I now Jim Rutherford talk at length about the rise of groin injuries that he's seen in recent years and he feels it has a lot to do with the amount of working out the players doing. Could he be wrong, absolutely.

As far as putting blame on the training staff, their only as good as the player allows them to be. If Briere tells them he feels little if any pain, what do you want the training staff to do? I'm not saying it's either party that should be held accountable, but it's possible they are both partially to blame.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:04 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I'm not blaming Briere in any way, shape or form...but it could be possible that the workouts he conducts with Hugo in the off season, aren't exactly 'groin friendly'. I now Jim Rutherford talk at length about the rise of groin injuries that he's seen in recent years and he feels it has a lot to do with the amount of working out the players doing. Could he be wrong, absolutely.

As far as putting blame on the training staff, their only as good as the player allows them to be. If Briere tells them he feels little if any pain, what do you want the training staff to do? I'm not saying it's either party that should be held accountable, but it's possible they are both partially to blame.
My original issue was with blaming Briere for being "out of shape."

I don't think we can really say who's to blame at this point simply because we don't have enough information. However, as I said, the Flyers training staff does have a very poor record when it comes to rushing players back from injury, so I think that is something that should be considered.

Old
06-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Selanne08*

I still think Briere would be interesting on the Thrashers.

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:

I'm not pointing at you on this, I agree, but it's funny how Briere's groin injuries was all his fault this year, for the most part (the sane people knew there was likely a mistake), but when Simon Gagne got hurt and played like a corpse after that Devils game everyone was willing to give him the rest of the season to work out his game when he clearly was not ready (since Karel Rachunek gave him another concussion). "Oh he needs time."

Briere gets ripped even though he was put on the 4th line and didn't complain, admitted that he needed to get through a certain stretch of games before he felt he would be up to his standards, and then did nothing but produce when he was put with Claude Giroux. But most people here wouldn't give him the time of day it seems.

Interesting how it works.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:

I know how groin pulls are. I have had them in the past from playing softball. They are a ***** to get over. However the training staff can do all their work to get a player ready and player X could tell the training staff I feel good, no discomfort, no pain ect. Just so he could get back on the ice because most players in the NHL are competitors. So they are willing to "lie" to the training staff about their health.
Now I am not saying that was the case here with Briere. Just bringing out the player having some responsibility.

Old
06-14-2009, 11:15 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'm not pointing at you on this, I agree, but it's funny how Briere's groin injuries was all his fault this year, for the most part (the sane people knew there was likely a mistake), but when Simon Gagne got hurt and played like a corpse after that Devils game everyone was willing to give him the rest of the season to work out his game when he clearly was not ready (since Karel Rachunek gave him another concussion). "Oh he needs time."

Briere gets ripped even though he was put on the 4th line and didn't complain, admitted that he needed to get through a certain stretch of games before he felt he would be up to his standards, and then did nothing but produce when he was put with Claude Giroux. But most people here wouldn't give him the time of day it seems.

Interesting how it works.
Well, fans always take to certain players more than others, but like you said, it's interesting how much Briere got ripped this year. 07-08 I can understand it (even if I don't agree with it) because a -22 is a -22 and at some point, you can only blame his linemates so much.

But 08-09, I thought he did pretty much everything asked of him and after playing the first 9 games at a -3 rating (when the entire team sucked), he played the final 20 at a +2 clip with Giroux and Powe/Asham.

So yeah, I agree that the bashing is somewhat odd. I can understand wanting to trade him because of his deal, but bashing him as a player for this past year doesn't make much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom
I know how groin pulls are. I have had them in the past from playing softball. They are a ***** to get over. However the training staff can do all their work to get a player ready and player X could tell the training staff I feel good, no discomfort, no pain ect. Just so he could get back on the ice because most players in the NHL are competitors. So they are willing to "lie" to the training staff about their health.
Now I am not saying that was the case here with Briere. Just bringing out the player having some responsibility.
True without a doubt, as I've said, we can't blame either party (usually in cases like this, the blame is shared anyways) without full information.

Old
06-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
My original issue was with blaming Briere for being "out of shape."

I don't think we can really say who's to blame at this point simply because we don't have enough information. However, as I said, the Flyers training staff does have a very poor record when it comes to rushing players back from injury, so I think that is something that should be considered.
Or, as noted, the players have a poor record of not being honest with the training staff -- something common to all sports...because people want to play. It's not as if groin injuries aren't a problem elsewhere in the league...and concussions are a problem elsewhere in the league (and that's before getting into the pure genetics of concussions).

Claiming that trainers are "rushing" players back is claiming that they are completely irresponsible people, which I don't really buy. Remember, these guys have been sued by a player here in the past...something they are absolutely aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
I still think Briere would be interesting on the Thrashers.
I think Briere would have ZERO interest in playing for the Thrashers.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
What about Gagne's concussion last season and Vaananen stiches this season as well as Briere's condition, groins injuries in 2006-07.

You can only blame so much on players but when Vaananen is playing with a finger and stiches can not hold.. makes me wonder.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Jester

It's pretty damn easy to pop stitches if you're exerting yourself and doing things, like, you know playing hockey. It's one thing if the stitches are on a static area (like your face), completely different thing when they're on moving parts.

Concussions: doctors, not trainers, are responsible for treating head injuries. A trainer is not trained to figure out if a brain is healthy, and doctors don't even fully understand concussions. These guys are trainers, not neurologists.

Groin injuries: common problem and there's little the trainer can do other than ask the guy how its feeling. If the guy says it feels good, then you have to trust him. They're tough injuries to come back from because skating is applying all that pressure on the groin.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:50 PM
flyboys15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Brad Richards should be near the top of that list
I can't see an argument that gets Brad Richards' name ahead of those three in NY on this list. His contract wasn't unmovable, he really helped Dallas get to the conference finals two seasons ago and his health has been the only real negative to his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
how is allstar Jiggy on that list
Are you kidding? Jiggy's making top five tender money and with his past playoff resume he still managed to convince his coach this season to go with Hiller for the playoff run.

flyboys15 is offline   Reply With Quote