HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Impact and Legitimacy of Changing a Players Position

Old
06-13-2009, 04:36 PM
t3hg00se

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
The Impact and Legitimacy of Changing a Players Position

This is a question, and in regards towards Antropov and Zherdev.

If this team shovels off one of Gomez/Drury (or both ) and does not retain Betts. We could have trouble at center. One thing I haven't heard people bringing up is having Antropov play center. Antropov at $3.5 mil is a great second line center. Were there problems with him at this position? Or does this team just need a RW more?

Just another thing I'm very curious about is Zherdev at LW. What would the impact of moving him to LW be? Is it a legitimate idea? What would the changes in his game be? I'm asking this because most of the big name UFA's this offseason are RW's and we want our best players playing together, right?

I only played hockey for 5-6 years, and not competitively enough where I would know the difficulty of switching wings.

Last edited by t3hg00se: 06-13-2009 at 04:45 PM.
t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 04:46 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post

If this team shovels off one of Gomez/Drury (or both ) and does not retain Betts. We could have trouble at center. One thing I haven't heard people bringing up is having Antropov play center. Antropov at $3.5 mil is a great second line center. Where there problems with him at this position? Or does this team just need a RW more?

Just another thing I'm very curious about is Zherdev at LW. What would the impact of moving him to LW be? Is it a legitimate idea? What would the changes in his game be? I'm asking this because most of the big name UFA's this offseason are RW's and we want our best players playing together, right?

I only played hockey for 5-6 years, and not competitively enough where I would know the difficulty of switching wings.
We are fine at center if we trade Drury or Gomez and don't retain Betts. Anismov will likely be pushing for a spot out of trading camp, and Korpikoski can replace Betts on the 4th line. In fact, I think it's almost a necessity that one of our centers leaves in order to make room for Anisimov, unless Torts is confident in Dubi or Drury's ability to play wing.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 04:54 PM
t3hg00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
We are fine at center if we trade Drury or Gomez and don't retain Betts. Anismov will likely be pushing for a spot out of trading camp, and Korpikoski can replace Betts on the 4th line. In fact, I think it's almost a necessity that one of our centers leaves in order to make room for Anisimov, unless Torts is confident in Dubi or Drury's ability to play wing.
Say we somehow get rid of both. I know the legitimacy of that happening, but lets say we do. How is Antropov at center? I think I'd rather have Antropov at center for $3.5 million than Drury.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:09 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post

If this team shovels off one of Gomez/Drury (or both ) and does not retain Betts. We could have trouble at center. One thing I haven't heard people bringing up is having Antropov play center. Antropov at $3.5 mil is a great second line center. Were there problems with him at this position? Or does this team just need a RW more?

I think you've got a strong Anisimov fan club that says no. If we should magically shovel off one of Gomez or Drury, then Dubinsky and Anisimov are still two solid options at center for the 2 and 3 spots. Our problem is wingers, not centers. Unless you are talking about adding an elite Malkin, Lecavlier caliber center then it's silly to fill in a spot at center who isn't top shelf quality. With Anisimov, we can at least hope he will develop into a 1B quality center. If he shows up for camp, I say let him get the spot.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:22 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Korpikoski at center (especially 4th line) is a waste. Let the kid play the wing and develop there.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 09:21 PM
t3hg00se

Say we signed Hossa, I would want no one but Zherdev on his LW. Feasible?

Old
06-14-2009, 10:31 AM
NY Ranger86

I'm a right shot... played center all my life until college... left wing.

so thats right shot on left wing. Thats where I was MOST comfortable. I know guys who if they were rightie, they played right wing.. and felt weird playing left.
Zherdev I believe is also a right shot.. but plays right.

To make a long story short... a wing is a wing. It just depends whats more comfortable to the player. Right shot on right, or Right shot on left... up to the players comfortablitity.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:38 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post

To make a long story short... a wing is a wing. It just depends whats more comfortable to the player. Right shot on right, or Right shot on left... up to the players comfortablitity.
Agreed.

The advantage of having a left-handed shot on the RW (or right handed on LW) is that you have a better angle to the net with your forehand.

The negative is that when you are digging along the boards, you either have to use your backhand or turn your back to the net.

I never played organized hockey, but I always preferred right wing because I play left handed. My favorite shot was moving across the slot, right to left, and firing the puck back to the right post to catch the goalie moving.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote