HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' best hope for Cup: Islanders

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2009, 02:12 PM
  #1
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Habs' best hope for Cup: Islanders

The rise of a young dynasty like the Penguins can thwart the Habs' chances for a Cup for many years. However, fate may intervene some day to alter the picture. A crucial development in the Habs' eventual Cup win in 1993 occurred when the Islanders upset a Pittsburgh team that featured future HOF players: Lemieux, Jagr, Ron Francis, Larry Murphy, Joe Mullen, and Bryan Trottier. Maybe another Isles team (or another underdog) can pull a similar upset in the future and Carey Price can duplicate Patrick Roy's blaze of glory. At least I can dream about it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 02:20 PM
  #2
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,084
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
so you say a mediocre Habs team will have a better chance of winning the Cup if the Islanders beat the Penguins, and if they don't then Montreal will consequently be playing the Penguins themselves. That's good stuff

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 02:22 PM
  #3
Etienne
Registered User
 
Etienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,843
vCash: 500


The Pens' mighty dynasty is about to hit a major roadblock : the salary cap. Gone are the times with Crosby, Malkin and Staal on their entry-level contracts, next season they're gonna have to deal with the 3 of them eating up 21.4 millions. Right now they have 47 millions committed on 15 players for next season and no top 6 wingers outside Kunitz or back-up goalie, that's without a big contract that can be unloaded.

Oh, and Letang will get a healthy raise after next season as well.

The Pens are gonna be competitive for as long as they have Crosby, Fleury and Malkin but they're nowhere near the 80s oilers. Ovie and his Caps almost sent them to the golf courses and the Canes ran out of gas after dealing with the physical Bruins.

How about focusing on how to make the Habs better instead of wishing for miracle runs?

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 02:34 PM
  #4
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
so you say a mediocre Habs team will have a better chance of winning the Cup if the Islanders beat the Penguins, and if they don't then Montreal will consequently be playing the Penguins themselves. That's good stuff
Hold on. I didn't say this momentous turn of events could occur soon. The key players on the Penguins are under 25 and most of them are already signed to long-term contracts. We would have to allow time for the Habs AND the Islanders to rearm. The first step for the Isles will be taken when they draft at #1 later this month. Their pick won't be as good as Crosby or Malkin, but it will certainly help, along with all the other high 2009 picks they've collected. The Habs could also be better in the future.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 02:35 PM
  #5
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post


The Pens' mighty dynasty is about to hit a major roadblock : the salary cap. Gone are the times with Crosby, Malkin and Staal on their entry-level contracts, next season they're gonna have to deal with the 3 of them eating up 21.4 millions. Right now they have 47 millions committed on 15 players for next season and no top 6 wingers outside Kunitz or back-up goalie, that's without a big contract that can be unloaded.

Oh, and Letang will get a healthy raise after next season as well.

The Pens are gonna be competitive for as long as they have Crosby, Fleury and Malkin but they're nowhere near the 80s oilers. Ovie and his Caps almost sent them to the golf courses and the Canes ran out of gas after dealing with the physical Bruins.

How about focusing on how to make the Habs better instead of wishing for miracle runs?
No reason to think players won't agree to salary cuts in order to join or stay in Pittsburgh.
Very much like in Detroit.

I guess we'll see..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 02:40 PM
  #6
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post


The Pens' mighty dynasty is about to hit a major roadblock : the salary cap. Gone are the times with Crosby, Malkin and Staal on their entry-level contracts, next season they're gonna have to deal with the 3 of them eating up 21.4 millions. Right now they have 47 millions committed on 15 players for next season and no top 6 wingers outside Kunitz or back-up goalie, that's without a big contract that can be unloaded.

Oh, and Letang will get a healthy raise after next season as well.

The Pens are gonna be competitive for as long as they have Crosby, Fleury and Malkin but they're nowhere near the 80s oilers. Ovie and his Caps almost sent them to the golf courses and the Canes ran out of gas after dealing with the physical Bruins.

How about focusing on how to make the Habs better instead of wishing for miracle runs?
If you watched the playoffs from beginning to end you may have noticed that the Penguins played better and better from round to round and even within the finals. As for temporary frights, just remember that the Habs dynasty came within a whisker of being ended prematurely in the 1979 playoffs (thank you, Don Cherry).

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 03:45 PM
  #7
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No reason to think players won't agree to salary cuts in order to join or stay in Pittsburgh.
Very much like in Detroit.

I guess we'll see..
They'll still be strapped.

The best solution for the foreseeable future would be for the Pens to let go of one of Staal, Malkin or Crosby.

Like Etienne said, the Pens won't have much space to fill the void, because the bigger contracts are already all awarded.

It's cool to get discounts, but you need some free space to accomodate it, and the Pens will have to get huge discounts if they want to add anybody of importance to the club without having to let go of one of the three centermen.

IMO, the Pens still have ONE season before they have to start sqeazing, before they are actually forced to trade one of the three or else face the eventuallity of being the next Tampa Bay Lightning.

Unless, we're mistaken, and he will have sufficient space to deal with, Shero might be hard-pressed to do it this summer before a cap squeaze reduces the value of the trade he one day will have to make.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 03:49 PM
  #8
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
What?


I am anxious to see the peneeses face the harsh reality of the salary cap

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 03:59 PM
  #9
Kid Dynomite
Registered User
 
Kid Dynomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
The Penguins will magically circumvent the cap or sign players to suspicious contracts like the Red Wings do. It's all part of Bettman's "I Like You" plan.

Kid Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 04:59 PM
  #10
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,037
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Regardless of this OPs thoughts, the pens have 7 players(Sid, Malk, Gonch, Flower, Staal, Kunitz and Orpik) that are payed a over 38 million!!!

So for the other 16 players, they have what 18 mill? That's a lot of mediocrity coming their way. Well here's hoping

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 05:08 PM
  #11
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Regardless of this OPs thoughts, the pens have 7 players(Sid, Malk, Gonch, Flower, Staal, Kunitz and Orpik) that are payed a over 38 million!!!

So for the other 16 players, they have what 18 mill? That's a lot of mediocrity coming their way. Well here's hoping
even less, the cap is prolly going down


almost less than a million by player

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 05:17 PM
  #12
Etienne
Registered User
 
Etienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
The Penguins will magically circumvent the cap or sign players to suspicious contracts like the Red Wings do. It's all part of Bettman's "I Like You" plan.
The Pens' big contracts are already signed for many years and the Wings' frontloaded contracts mostly work with players currently in their prime going for long-term contracts. You couldn't sign J-Bo on a contract like this unless the length is 15 years or something like that, for instance.

Like, the Habs could sign an 8 years contract with Markov once his current one is up, he'll be 32 at the time, and keep the cap hit low because of that. You couldn't do the same with Price, he's too young.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 05:39 PM
  #13
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The rise of a young dynasty like the Penguins can thwart the Habs' chances for a Cup for many years. However, fate may intervene some day to alter the picture. A crucial development in the Habs' eventual Cup win in 1993 occurred when the Islanders upset a Pittsburgh team that featured future HOF players: Lemieux, Jagr, Ron Francis, Larry Murphy, Joe Mullen, and Bryan Trottier. Maybe another Isles team (or another underdog) can pull a similar upset in the future and Carey Price can duplicate Patrick Roy's blaze of glory. At least I can dream about it.



Ya, nice part about dreaming is..............it doesn't cost you anything!

You were right about the underdog Habs winning a Cup that they were not supposed to - another team (Isles) upset (one of) the favourites -and Habs took advantage of it. Good for them!

Price & this edition of the Habs, have difficulty winnig a series, let alone a Cup!
Their next big step would be to win 2 series - in the same playoff year.

Fact is - in Gainey's 6 years at the helm, the Hbas have won a grand total of 2 playoff series - total!

Although, according to some HF Board members, that's just a case of bad luck and too many injuries (because.........no other team has injuries).


Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 05:57 PM
  #14
ugotmybeef*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LA BABY!!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
The Islanders will be lucky enough just to be back in the dance but winning the cup will take another decade or so.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 06:06 PM
  #15
Etienne
Registered User
 
Etienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
[/B]


Ya, nice part about dreaming is..............it doesn't cost you anything!

You were right about the underdog Habs winning a Cup that they were not supposed to - another team (Isles) upset (one of) the favourites -and Habs took advantage of it. Good for them!

Price & this edition of the Habs, have difficulty winnig a series, let alone a Cup!
Their next big step would be to win 2 series - in the same playoff year.

Fact is - in Gainey's 6 years at the helm, the Hbas have won a grand total of 2 playoff series - total!

Although, according to some HF Board members, that's just a case of bad luck and too many injuries (because.........no other team has injuries).

It's mostly because his predecessors did a **** job at the draft, year after year, for the last 2 decades. Gainey took a team doomed to be average for some time because they were good enough to make the playoffs or just miss them, but not bad enough to get top 5 picks. The one time we did was the lottery draft in the lock-out and we got Price.

Whine all you want about the Ribeiro trade, hiring/firing Carbo and his supposed snubbing of francos, at the end of the day Gainey will get fired leaving a solid group of prospects and young players for the next Habs GM. Something that can be build on. Something he didn't get when he arrived.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 06:22 PM
  #16
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
[/B]


Ya, nice part about dreaming is..............it doesn't cost you anything!

You were right about the underdog Habs winning a Cup that they were not supposed to - another team (Isles) upset (one of) the favourites -and Habs took advantage of it. Good for them!

Price & this edition of the Habs, have difficulty winnig a series, let alone a Cup!
Their next big step would be to win 2 series - in the same playoff year.

Fact is - in Gainey's 6 years at the helm, the Hbas have won a grand total of 2 playoff series - total!

Although, according to some HF Board members, that's just a case of bad luck and too many injuries (because.........no other team has injuries).

History is irrelevant. We're talking about the situation a few years in the future. A few years ago the Penguins were dismal.

The Penguins will remain formidable just by holding on to their 3 centers and goaltender. Many of their players are replaceable. Besides, they can get by with low-paid prospects for the early part of the season, then load up with near-UFAs as the deadline approaches. They showed that it didn't matter where they finished this past season. They easily knocked off two division leaders (Caps and Bruins) and would have done so with the Devils if Carolina han't upset them.


Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 06-14-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 06:24 PM
  #17
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
The Islanders will be lucky enough just to be back in the dance but winning the cup will take another decade or so.
I don't speak of the Isles as Cup winners--just as interference runners for the Habs, the way they were in 1993.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 06:32 PM
  #18
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Regardless of this OPs thoughts, the pens have 7 players(Sid, Malk, Gonch, Flower, Staal, Kunitz and Orpik) that are payed a over 38 million!!!

So for the other 16 players, they have what 18 mill? That's a lot of mediocrity coming their way. Well here's hoping
They lost some players in the trade for Hossa yet managed to get some useful older players in deadline trades. They can repeat this strategy, using some prospects for the early part of the season. The fact that they didn't win their division didn't mean a thing. They knocked off two division winners and would have beaten the other (Devils) because they were on a roll at the end. Of the ones you mention, Gonchar won't last forever and Kunitz isn't irreplaceable. Their three centers and goaltender are enough of a nucleus to destroy most NHL teams.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 07:42 PM
  #19
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post


The Pens' mighty dynasty is about to hit a major roadblock : the salary cap. Gone are the times with Crosby, Malkin and Staal on their entry-level contracts, next season they're gonna have to deal with the 3 of them eating up 21.4 millions. Right now they have 47 millions committed on 15 players for next season and no top 6 wingers outside Kunitz or back-up goalie, that's without a big contract that can be unloaded.

Oh, and Letang will get a healthy raise after next season as well.

The Pens are gonna be competitive for as long as they have Crosby, Fleury and Malkin but they're nowhere near the 80s oilers. Ovie and his Caps almost sent them to the golf courses and the Canes ran out of gas after dealing with the physical Bruins.

How about focusing on how to make the Habs better instead of wishing for miracle runs?
Give them a decent goaltender and it would have happened.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 09:08 PM
  #20
Stubbs88
Registered User
 
Stubbs88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
That's it, I'm officially an Islanders fan!

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:59 PM
  #21
habs93
Registered User
 
habs93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
In 1993 all the first place finishers (4) were upset in the first round......

habs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:31 AM
  #22
nerdman60
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
in 1993 it wasn't just the Islanders upsetting the Penguins, it was Sabres upsetting Boston and Toronto that was upset by the Kings. We had alot of help that year.

nerdman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:02 AM
  #23
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™
 
CASUAL KEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sk, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Give them a decent goaltender and it would have happened.
Varlamov is more than decent

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 04:57 AM
  #24
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage
 
Bobby Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chez Bobby
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuKer View Post
Varlamov is more than decent
Varlamov was amazing but his glove got exposed big time as the series went on.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 05:31 AM
  #25
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,131
vCash: 500
Give us Tavares, Islanders!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.