HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WBS loses to Binghamton 6-4

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2004, 07:08 AM
User571

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to User571
WBS loses to Binghamton 6-4

Fleury gave up 5 goals on 19 shots
Chiodo gives up 1 on 13

www.wbspenguins.com

Old
10-09-2004, 09:40 AM
The Old Master

they wern't going to win them all

Old
10-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurminen31
Fleury gave up 5 goals on 19 shots
Chiodo gives up 1 on 13

www.wbspenguins.com
Am I the only one of you guys who has major, major doubts about Fleury? Right now, I think Lehtonen is absolutely head and shoulders above him as a prospect.

That's not to say that Fleury won't be good, but when we got him people were tossing around the name "Brodeur". I don't think we'll be hearing that for awhile.

Meanwhile, for Lehtonen, the "Roy" comparison seems to have stood.

S L

Old
10-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

Send a message via AIM to Seabass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
Am I the only one of you guys who has major, major doubts about Fleury? Right now, I think Lehtonen is absolutely head and shoulders above him as a prospect.

That's not to say that Fleury won't be good, but when we got him people were tossing around the name "Brodeur". I don't think we'll be hearing that for awhile.
Fleury, IMO, has tons more natural talent than Lehtonen. The fact remains that Lehtonen has mastered the position.

Fleury has the most athletic ability that I've seen in a goalie, but he doesn't necessarily understand the game the way a franchise goalie should. That's why a goalie coach is needed ASAP.

Old
10-09-2004, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass
Fleury, IMO, has tons more natural talent than Lehtonen. The fact remains that Lehtonen has mastered the position.

Fleury has the most athletic ability that I've seen in a goalie, but he doesn't necessarily understand the game the way a franchise goalie should. That's why a goalie coach is needed ASAP.
Claps. IMO what the Pens did with MAF last year was gross. They used him to sell tickets and threw him around from one leage to the next. People can say that he played his way to NHL playing time all that they like but everyone knew what the outcome was going to be, sooner or later MAF would get a ton of losses and thats never a good thing for an 18 year old goalie. While this has been MAF's first bad game of the spring and might not even be his fault (I didn't see the game), I just have hated the Pens player developement for a long time now and I hoping that it doesn't take 3 years to undo the damage caused by last year to MAF.

Old
10-09-2004, 07:19 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass

Not ASAP, a season for Pittsburgh isn't exactly around the corner. And Wilkes-Barre already has a guy who works with the goalies (Gilles Lefebvre I think his name is).

Old
10-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Jacob

Quote:
How is that a major, major doubt? And how were these major, major doubts spawned by a lousy preseason game? Having the second best goaltending prospect in the world is great.

Fleury never had and probably never will have Brodeur's upside because he's not the complete package Brodeur is. But what Fleury has a chance to do is be the next Jose Theodore- only sooner than it took Theodore to reach his prime.

Quote:
People can say that he played his way to NHL playing time all that they like but everyone knew what the outcome was going to be
Look at the alternative: Playing against teenagers, seeing 20 shots a night if he's lucky. You can't tell me THAT would have been good for his development.

Old
10-09-2004, 09:58 PM
DJ Spinoza

WBS lost to the Senators again tonight, 3-2, meaning the Sens won some kind of puck cup or something. The preseason championship of the division, I think. Grace was talking about it a little bit.

I just got back from vacation, so I was doing a bunch of things at once, but I heard bits and pieces of the game. Whitney sounds to be doing really well. Other than that, I didn't get to listen enough to get any major impressions of the forwards.

I think Spezza had two goals tonight, including the OT winner. Paddock and Murley had the Pens goals. Chiodo was in net, which would lead me to believe that he will be the starter for the regular season on Wednesday night against Manitoba.

Speaking of which, are we having a gamethread or anything?

By the way, I really hope nobody is getting ahead of themselves with this Pens team. They are talented, but other teams have improved too. This isn't going to be a walk in the park - hopefully this team will battle it out and earn some kind of playoff spot. There are plenty of seriously good teams this year, and let's not forget that last year's Pens were sort of average in the league and in the East.

I really wish there was an AHL team near Pittsburgh in lieu of Johnstown or Wheeling, because there are going to be plenty of good games this year.

Old
10-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Jacob

I've already purchased tickets to some baby Pens games, and I might make the drive to Hershey a few times as well (only when they're playing the baby Pens).

Old
10-10-2004, 01:35 AM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
How is that a major, major doubt? And how were these major, major doubts spawned by a lousy preseason game? Having the second best goaltending prospect in the world is great.

Fleury never had and probably never will have Brodeur's upside because he's not the complete package Brodeur is. But what Fleury has a chance to do is be the next Jose Theodore- only sooner than it took Theodore to reach his prime.
That's not a major, major doubt. Major, major doubts come about from a goalie's best games at the NHL level also being his first games at the NHL level, mainly due to "unlearning" fundamentals in a vain effort to make up for inadequate defense. Major, major doubts include a lackluster WJC performance, culminating in a terrible giveway to lose the final. Then Cape Breton, the pick to go all the way in the Q gets eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. Then Fleury gets shelled in the Baby Pens postseason games. Regardless of whether these major, major disappointments were Fleury's fault or not, it's hard to imagine that he has escaped psychologically unscathed. Give how important mental composure is to the position, that's very frightening.

Regarding Jose Theodore, it looks like the expectation level has been dropping. We were all very excited at the beginning of last season to have a potential Franchise goaltender. Personally, I don't believe that Theodore has those qualifications. As I said, I think Fleury will be good eventually, but I have major, major doubts that he'll ever reach what we initially thought his upside was.

S L

Old
10-10-2004, 06:45 AM

[QUOTE=Jacobv2
Look at the alternative: Playing against teenagers, seeing 20 shots a night if he's lucky. You can't tell me THAT would have been good for his development.[/QUOTE]
Sure, being the best at the level that he's supposed to be at is great. Facing 50 shots a night, facing break away after break away, and constant losing is not what an 18 year old needs. IMO he should spiral up and be a star in juniors, the AHL, and then the NHL. Another thing about Brodeur is that he wasn't drafted with a lot of hype. The Devils pretty much got someone with some talent and made a star. I remember going to Devil practices back then and being amazed at the work that MB put in. Then I remember the next year he would work on wrap around after wrap around (after getting beat by the Rangers in the playoffs). All along and after every shot he had coachs telling him what he did wrong and what he did right.

Old
10-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Bowski

Quote:
Meanwhile, for Lehtonen, the "Roy" comparison seems to have stood.

Old
10-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowski
As clarification, I'm still hearing the Roy comparisons popping up now and again. Expectations for Lehtonen have stayed the same, while for Fleury they've been lowered. Should they be? I'm not trying to answer that question.

S L

Old
10-10-2004, 03:36 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
As clarification, I'm still hearing the Roy comparisons popping up now and again. Expectations for Lehtonen have stayed the same, while for Fleury they've been lowered. Should they be? I'm not trying to answer that question.

S L
NO!!!!!!! LEHTONEN IS NO. #1 BUT FLEURY WELL BE NO.#2 GIVE HIM A LITTLE TIME., LIKE THEY GAVE LEHTON. BIRNG HIM ALONG NICE AND S L O W. HE WILL BE FINE.

Old
10-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Bowski

Quote:

S L
Well, you'll always hear comparisons thrown out by certain people. Same people probably mentioned Daigle and "Gretzky", and called Luongo/Dipietro busts after their first season. IMO no one in the current NHL can be compared to Roy (except arguably Brodeur).

Lehtonen has not played long enough to really make a full assesment of his NHL ability, and career potential. If Fleury got sent down after October of last year, and not been yo-yoed around his stock would till be sky high. I think the reason for Lehtonen's maintained popularity is the fact that the Thrash have handled him properly.

Old
10-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
S L
No, you are not.

Fleury's poor play recently (not just this particular game), along with the Penguins poor track record of developing prospects certainly has given me doubts about the future of Fleury, and the Penguin's future as a whole.

Being compared to Jose Theodore is a far cry from the lofty comparisons we (correctly or incorrectly) heard earlier.

But it is still early, and things could easily change. If Fleury dominates the AHL for a month, while Lehtonen struggles a bit, MAF will quickly become the flavor-of-the-month.

Closed Thread