HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers signed Emery

Old
06-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Flyersguru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Flyers philosophy is that the next great goalie is always playing for someone else.

Another year of goalie proposals and this time next year we'll be in the same position.
Emery > Biron.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
Put your ****ing Hat on Ray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Biron priced himself out of Philly.

I think Emery has more upside, but I am unconvinced he will play any better than Biron. He played on a more talented team which included a better defense in Ottawa.
Hum... I think that Philly priced themselves out of Biron. Every year, they're strugging to get below the cap and this was one way for them to do so, especially if they're hoping to improve in other areas.

What's unfortunate though is that Biron was liked by his teammates. Not so sure that the same will be said about Emery... Even Simon Gagné isn't happy about the decision:
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/276289.html

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 06:57 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

Hum... I think that Philly priced themselves out of Biron. Every year, they're strugging to get below the cap and this was one way for them to do so, especially if they're hoping to improve in other areas.

What's unfortunate though is that Biron was liked by his teammates. Not so sure that the same will be said about Emery... Even Simon Gagné isn't happy about the decision:
you cant take article from RDS as 100% fact....they have misquoted so many players, so many times

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Emery > Biron.
This has yet to be proven. Though in terms of price/performance ratio it should definitely be be Emery > Biron.
Emphasis on Should.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
you cant take article from RDS as 100% fact....they have misquoted so many players, so many times
They're actually quite accurate. You're confusing them with CKAC...

In this case, Gagné is one of Biron's close friends (along with Brière) so I have no doubt that it's true.

Old
06-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
In this case, Gagné is one of Biron's close friends (along with Brière) so I have no doubt that it's true.
I am not debating the accuracy of the article, nor am I defending the Emery signing or Homers' cap management at this point. But I know this much: Players are paid to play hockey, regardless of who is on the team.

If players are unhappy about Biron moving on, then maybe they should advise him to take a discount, or maybe they should have taken one themselves. This isn't a country club or a fraternity, its a professional hockey team.

Homer has not handled the cap well, and I've stated such on many occasions. But that doesn't change the fact that Biron is not worth $5M, nor does it change the fact that the players who are here have an obligation to play hockey, regardless of who occupies a stall next to them.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
I am not debating the accuracy of the article, nor am I defending the Emery signing or Homers' cap management at this point. But I know this much: Players are paid to play hockey, regardless of who is on the team.

If players are unhappy about Biron moving on, then maybe they should advise him to take a discount, or maybe they should have taken one themselves. This isn't a country club or a fraternity, its a professional hockey team.

Homer has not handled the cap well, and I've stated such on many occasions. But that doesn't change the fact that Biron is not worth $5M, nor does it change the fact that the players who are here have an obligation to play hockey, regardless of who occupies a stall next to them.
Sounds great on paper. Unfortunately, we all know that it's not the way it goes. The players are ultimately the ones making you win or lose. How many times have we seen players ensuring that a coach gets fired by not "responding"? One of the keys to success is to keep your players happy, as clearly demonstrated by the Detroit Red Wings. I have a feeling that there's something definitely wrong in the Flyers' dressing room and the addition of Emery (and subtraction of Biron) won't do anything to fix it, quite the contrary.

Old
06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Sounds great on paper. Unfortunately, we all know that it's not the way it goes. The players are ultimately the ones making you win or lose. How many times have we seen players ensuring that a coach gets fired by not "responding"? One of the keys to success is to keep your players happy, as clearly demonstrated by the Detroit Red Wings. I have a feeling that there's something definitely wrong in the Flyers' dressing room and the addition of Emery (and subtraction of Biron) won't do anything to fix it, quite the contrary.
I understand what you're saying, but if that's the case, then we have bigger issues than Ray Emery. If its all about "keeping the players happy", then those players need to go find another team.

If we have players on this team that "don't respond" because they don't like Emery as much as Biron, then they don't belong here, plain and simple. These are grown men who are paid millions of dollars to play a game they love, and the Flyers are known for trying to do what it takes to win.

The players need to put their personal feelings aside for the betterment of the team. That's what real teams with real leaders do. A real team will embrace Emery and do everything in their power to integrate him into the fabric of the team, so long as Ray keeps his act together. If they fail to do that, then we need better leaders, not $5M goalies such as Biron.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:47 AM
jb**

Quote:

because being liked by your teammates really got biron far didnt it. i could car eless if nto 1 perosn lieks emery as long as he doesnt kill you witht he biron esq goals and the most unaffordable time, he will be fine

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

Yeah, the cap situation certainly didn't help, but I am not sure Biron is the guy you want to re-sign long term at $5M a year even though I like him.

What does Gagne say? You're right Biron was well-liked and a good guy in the locker room. I don't know how Emery will fit in, but I'm one of the few Flyers fans that doesn't care for the Emery move. To me it just shows the Flyers are clueless as ever when it comes to goaltending.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:36 PM
VladNYC*

All jokes aside, i am happy for Ray. He paid his dues to get back into the NHL. I have watched him a lot in the KHL and NHL and i don't think he is better the Biron. Although maybe the huge amount of training and practice they do in the KHL, much more so then in the NHL, improved his game and the time there changed his mind set. Vitaly Kolesnik was as good if not better then him, but maybe that had to do with adapting to Russian Hockey. I wish him the best in Philly and if he acts up, you can also sign Atlant's doctor to whoop his ass again.

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 04:12 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
All jokes aside, i am happy for Ray. He paid his dues to get back into the NHL. I have watched him a lot in the KHL and NHL and i don't think he is better the Biron. Although maybe the huge amount of training and practice they do in the KHL, much more so then in the NHL, improved his game and the time there changed his mind set. Vitaly Kolesnik was as good if not better then him, but maybe that had to do with adapting to Russian Hockey. I wish him the best in Philly and if he acts up, you can also sign Atlant's doctor to whoop his ass again.

If we're lucky, he'll run over Reggie Lemelin with his Hummer.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:21 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens15 View Post

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:34 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post

As a Flyers fan, looking at that looks so unworldly (and im not talking the horrible photoshop job )..

...wow depressing

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote