HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting, Penguins may have more Quebecers than the Habs

Old
06-14-2009, 09:30 PM
CrazyShea

vCash: 500
They did not win because they have 2 of the top 3 players in the league on their team that's for sure

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 09:31 PM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Interesting, Montreal may have more Americans than Detroit

Interesting, my shoes are brown

Mines are gray. Cool.

On the second tablet of my library, iv put a decorative beer mog. What about you?

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:36 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan4ever View Post
Mines are gray. Cool.

On the second tablet of my library, iv put a decorative beer mog. What about you?
On the shelf over my desk I've got a Cam Ward bobble head.

(random I know, father works for a Raleigh-based company which sponsors the Canes)

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Taupy

Last year we had all those quebecers in our system:

Begin, Brisebois, Dandenault, Denis, Lapierre, Laraque, Guillaume Latendresse, Tanguay, Aubin, Beauregard, Carle, Desharnais, Desjardins, Lacasse, Olivier Latendresse, Lehoux, St-Denis, Fortier, Massť and Paquet

Bouillon and Benoit for the false quebecers.

22 guys... it's not like we're not giving quebecers a chance like some people are saying.

Last edited by Taupy: 06-14-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Forgot Begin
Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:44 PM
wishweweregood

i have discovered a cure for the common cold however it should be noted that i would have discovered it sooner had my team of scientists have been from quebec.....

i m wearing socks....

and i have a pink floyd cd on my second shelf

wishweweregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
DaHabMan

yeah.....garon is the backup, boucher played in a handful of games, so really they have 4.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
My point was simply that French Canadians can also win the Conn Smythe, as it was pointed out that a Russian won it this year. No more, no less...
Yes, but nobody ever suggested otherwise nor did having 7 Quebecers the reason why Pittsburgh won the cup.

This thread is just another poor attempt to bring up the Quebecer debate. As you know, it a rare debate around here.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Turianel

It's fun to see homeboys winning, but for winning a team need first class talent. Pittsburg had just that with Malkin, Crosby and Gonshar. Yes Talbot had a very good serie... Would it be enough without the 36 points of Malkin, 31 of Crosby and all the space other players had playing with them?

Thats been said, Fleury and Talbot played a hell of a game! They make me pride!

Turianel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:03 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turianel View Post
It's fun to see homeboys winning, but for winning a team need first class talent. Pittsburg had just that with Malkin, Crosby and Gonshar. Yes Talbot had a very good serie... Would it be enough without the 36 points of Malkin, 31 of Crosby and all the space other players had playing with them?

Thats been said, Fleury and Talbot played a hell of a game! They make me pride!
Why?
Do you know them?
Were you raised, go to school or play with them?
Did you have any effect on their hockey career?

No, then basically you have no bearing on their career path so what do you have to be proud of? That they come from the same lineage as you? Great, if we go deep enough, we all come from Africa. That they come from the same city as you? Great, doesn't make any difference, it does not make you any better because you grew up where they did, they had the talent, they made their careers and they won it, you did nothing.

This is why I don't understand it.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Stradale

Quebecers will be UFA at one point of their career's right? If they are really proud of being a Quebecer, they would take a discount a play for the Habs.

My point is... its not always the fault of the organisation for not bringing the quebecers in the team but the quebecers doesnt always want to come here. Some even use the Habs to raise their contract.

Most of the quebecers that wants to play here are players in the late 30's that know there isnt much team who would want them.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:39 AM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan View Post
So the Penguins have 7 Quebecers. Very interesting. What are the factors? Is the media at fault? Is it Quebecers who are afraid of the pressure? Habs have to do anything in their power to get Lecavalier. Keep Tanguay. Sign Beauchemin. Draft Louis Leblanc. Sign Latendresse to a long term contract. Which Quebec players would help the Habs?

maybe we can get the same ones that helped detroit win a stanley cup last year.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:50 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ya..They won the cup thanks to Talbot.

Take Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar out and they would have still won the cup.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Quebecers will be UFA at one point of their career's right? If they are really proud of being a Quebecer, they would take a discount a play for the Habs.

My point is... its not always the fault of the organisation for not bringing the quebecers in the team but the quebecers doesnt always want to come here. Some even use the Habs to raise their contract.

Most of the quebecers that wants to play here are players in the late 30's that know there isnt much team who would want them.
I'm ashamed of a lot of the players too afraid to come play here. Might get flamed for saying that. I know it's their choice and everything but I still don't care. A 25th cup in habsland would be one of the most siginificant sporting events in a very long time and very few of our professionals seem to care. I think the media should share a lot of this blame, but i think our prissy little superstars need to grow the **** up too.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:04 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

When Dupuis was UFA I said the Habs should sign him and everyone laughed at me. Now he's a hero.

I know Talbot had a great playoffs but keep in mind that Kostopoulos did too last year. Grinders always step it up for the cup. Now enjoy as the Penguins have to give him big money.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm ashamed of a lot of the players too afraid to come play here. Might get flamed for saying that. I know it's their choice and everything but I still don't care. A 25th cup in habsland would be one of the most siginificant sporting events in a very long time and very few of our professionals seem to care. I think the media should share a lot of this blame, but i think our prissy little superstars need to grow the **** up too.
You would probably do the same in their shoes. Or if your son was one of this superstars you would tell him to stay off Montreal.

Why come here where:
- you get less money then elsewhere
- the climate sucks
- you have less chances to win

For the "awesome" fans? Fans that will start booing you out of town once you do not score for 10 games ?

For the "tradition" and the "Rocket" and the Flower ? Please.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Courtnall6

Who flippin cares if another team has more Quebecers on their roster than Montreal does? Do you think the Penguins are concerned if they don't have enough players from Pennsylvania on their team? Are the Leafs concerned that they don't have enough guys from Ontario?

Courtnall6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Kafka

Quote:
So the Penguins have 7 Quebecers. Very interesting. What are the factors? Is the media at fault? Is it Quebecers who are afraid of the pressure? Habs have to do anything in their power to get Lecavalier. Keep Tanguay. Sign Beauchemin. Draft Louis Leblanc. Sign Latendresse to a long term contract. Which Quebec players would help the Habs?
The number of Quebecois players on that team shouldn't taken into account. I personnaly think we should have a larger core of local players on our team, but wouldn't point out that Pittsburg won because of its french players. What we saw is a team playing to win and not looking at the personnal stats.

Therefore, I don't think a team run by Kovalev would be better than the one lead by Koivu. Give the leadership of that team to guys like Komisarek or Higgins (if he stops partying), and find some vets to keep an eye on the kids like Pittsburg did for Crosby (Lemieux), Malkin (Gonchar, Sykora) and Staal (Recchi).

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

WHAT DOES IT MATTER??? Who cares where the players are from as long as they are good players who want to play hard and win???

People need to get over what language players speak. I know Montreal is a french speaking city, but that doesn't have to mean that every player on the Habs roster has to speak french.

I'd take 15 players from Russia, Sweden, Finland or the United States as long as they wanted to play in Montreal, play hard and win.

Same as with the coaches. Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman were probably the best coaches in Habs history and they both spoke english. Why do we need to have french coaches?? WE DON'T!!!!

If this is what people in Montreal are concerned about, then they should move the team to some other city where they will be allowed to have the best coaches and players whether they speak english, french, german or russian.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Caekslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Jean Beliveau, Serge Savard, Yvan Cournoyer, Bernard Parent (2), Guy Lafleur, Mike Bossy, Patrick Roy (2), Mario Lemieux (2), Claude Lemieux and J-S Giguere would like to have a word with you
What an epic fail.

Naming players in a time when only Canadians or Americans played in the NHL.

In any case, we're talking about the present or more precisely the past 4 years.

We're adressing the complaints of the lack of Quebecois on the Montreal Canadiens team.

Number of Quebecois in top 20 scoring leaders? 1

Number of Russians in top 6 scoring leaders? 4

Tell me, how many awards have Quebec players won since the lock-out?

Quit living in the past.

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:01 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ya..They won the cup thanks to Talbot.

Take Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar out and they would have still won the cup.
Really?

I hope that is sarcastic because Talbot had 8 goals and 4 were in the Finals, Crosby won that Washington series and Malkin probably the Carolina series...you are wearing blinders if you think this team wins the Cup without those three or at least Crosby and Malkin.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Caekslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why?
Do you know them?
Were you raised, go to school or play with them?
Did you have any effect on their hockey career?

No, then basically you have no bearing on their career path so what do you have to be proud of? That they come from the same lineage as you? Great, if we go deep enough, we all come from Africa. That they come from the same city as you? Great, doesn't make any difference, it does not make you any better because you grew up where they did, they had the talent, they made their careers and they won it, you did nothing.

This is why I don't understand it.
this.

Old
06-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Caekslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Really?

I hope that is sarcastic because Talbot had 8 goals and 4 were in the Finals, Crosby won that Washington series and Malkin probably the Carolina series...you are wearing blinders if you think this team wins the Cup without those three or at least Crosby and Malkin.
How many goals has Talbot scored playing with Malkin, and how many has he scored playing without.

Old
06-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Really?

Swing and a miss.

I don't know, talking to my friends who are Ottawa and Toronto fans all they want are players from Ontario and winning seems to take a back seat...

All you hear about is how Ottawa wants Marc Savard, Dan Boyle and Derek Roy, because they're home town boys.

I wish people would get real an realize that winning > getting a team full of players from your province.

I guess I should be a Detroit fan since Terrible Ted Lindsay is from my hometown.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:

Quebecers or Non-Quebecers..................Pens have a lot more genuine hockey players than the HABS - which was the key to Pen's Cup win - regadless of their ethnicity - Habs need more real hockey players!

Want a Cup winner? Show me the players (Quebecers or otherwise)!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:34 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Swing and a miss.

I don't know, talking to my friends who are Ottawa and Toronto fans all they want are players from Ontario and winning seems to take a back seat...

All you hear about is how Ottawa wants Marc Savard, Dan Boyle and Derek Roy, because they're home town boys.

I wish people would get real an realize that winning > getting a team full of players from your province.

I guess I should be a Detroit fan since Terrible Ted Lindsay is from my hometown.

Why is it so hard to understand that somebody might feel proud when a guy he used to see at the arena during his childhood lifts the Stanley Cup?

I'll sure be there to applaud him when Kris Letang brings the cup to our hometown of Sainte-Julie.

And there's a difference between having players from the province and having a team full of them.

If, in your opinion, we should only focus on winning and not bother with having local players on the team, then why should people cheer for the local team exactly? Shouldn't we all cheer for the team that wins the most?

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote