HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Sabres TV at NHL Combine - it's a bit late but some might find it interesting
http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/console.js...d=668&id=43141
Interesting for someone to note that McKinney gives them the feedback on who has room to improve and who is likely a finished product. That seems to get lost in the clamor of the Prospect Board.

06-12-2009, 08:46 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Interesting for someone to note that McKinney gives them the feedback on who has room to improve and who is likely a finished product. That seems to get lost in the clamor of the Prospect Board.
Doug went over what he looks for when evaluating draft prospects when he was on the Lunchtime Express a few weeks back.

There are three main categories:

Ectomorph (aka Hardgainer) - A thin body type that will have a hard time adding muscle

Mesomorph - Athletic, hard body that has a relatively easy time adding muscle while remaining lean. This is the ideal body type for an NHL player.

Endomorph (aka fat@$$) - Pretty much self explanatory.

Doug obviously loves to work with mesomorphs and has very different challenges with ectomorphs and endomorphs.

Old
06-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Old Navy Goat

I saw you guys were busy with the Moderator Draft. Interesting pick with Kreider in that in a couple years he could be a steal with some seasoning in the NCAA. I was surprised that you skipped Kassian, though personally Kreider has a much higher upside but the extra grit would have been nice.

Old
06-14-2009, 10:16 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I saw you guys were busy with the Moderator Draft. Interesting pick with Kreider in that in a couple years he could be a steal with some seasoning in the NCAA. I was surprised that you skipped Kassian, though personally Kreider has a much higher upside but the extra grit would have been nice.
I was pretty surprised as well. I also know nothing about the guy drafted in the 3rd...what's his deal?

Old
06-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
I was pretty surprised as well. I also know nothing about the guy drafted in the 3rd...what's his deal?
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...pects_for2009/

Quote:
14. Tomas Vincour, C
6’2, 205 pounds
Edmonton Oil Kings

Plagued by injuries, the Czech product only appeared in 50 games and did not dress during the Oil Kings’ first round playoff series against the Calgary Hitmen. He wasn't a factor at the WJC but when he was on his game he was a big part of Edmonton's regular-season success. Consistency is definitely an issue and at his size he's not aggressive enough in front of or when driving to the net. He has a great shot, quick release, good skater but could play hungrier.

Vincour had 17 goals, 20 assists and was +2 in 50 games.

Old
06-14-2009, 10:58 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Ugh. Sounds like a Sabre for sure.

Old
06-14-2009, 12:30 PM
OpethianSabre20

Carter Ashton sounds like an intriguing pick.

Quote:
4. Carter Ashton, RW
6’3, 200 pounds
Lethbridge Hurricanes

Ashton is a sought-after power forward who could be an early surprise at the draft. He has developed into a consistent two-way performer with the Hurricanes and has quietly impressed professional scouts who are eminently familiar with the skills and work ethic of his father Brent. The elder Ashton played 998 regular season games in the NHL. Carter Ashton possesses pro size and has demonstrated that he understands and accepts his role. Next season, his third in the WHL, should provide an opportunity to flourish offensively. To date, he has learned well the defensive nuances of the game.

Ashton had 31 goals and 22 assists in 81 games, and was -13.
Does anyone know where he might be taken in the draft?

Old
06-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Baker has me sold on what the kid can do, combined with the articles over at NEHJ that he penned about his trip to the Combine... he's a solid, humble, skilled player who has a physical edge to his game. Yeah, he's not Kassian in terms of aggressive play, but he's got a bit of bang to his game.

Vincour is one of the guys on KB's draft breakdown that he likes as high as the second round. Good size, good stride... but the injury thing is a worry so he'll likely drop. Last year he tore up the U-18's for the Czechs (albeit in the second division after they'd been relegated).

Old
06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

If we get a second, I hope we go after Tomas Tatar.

Highlights from a scouting report:
Never stops moving
Never glides
Wills the puck to himself and wants it more than anyone else on the ice.
Leadership
Energy
Physicality
Clutch faceoff man.

Old
06-14-2009, 10:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
If we get a second, I hope we go after Tomas Tatar.

Highlights from a scouting report:
Never stops moving
Never glides
Wills the puck to himself and wants it more than anyone else on the ice.
Leadership
Energy
Physicality
Clutch faceoff man.
Not worth a 2nd round pick by Buffalo. He's 5'9 and doesn't play all that physically. He did have a great WJC don't get me wrong, he wow'd a lot of people but a few game tournament doesn't tell the whole story. He's far from the perfect prospect in his native land. Actually ,according to the Hockey News, he was a 5th or 6th round pick before the WJC but has jumped to atleast 3rd round due to it. If he drops, i wouldn't mind taking him but not in the first 3 rounds because of his size and Buffalo is loaded with small guys.... Gerbe, Ennis, Bryon and Roy.

Old
06-15-2009, 12:26 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekera44 View Post
Not worth a 2nd round pick by Buffalo. He's 5'9 and doesn't play all that physically. He did have a great WJC don't get me wrong, he wow'd a lot of people but a few game tournament doesn't tell the whole story. He's far from the perfect prospect in his native land. Actually ,according to the Hockey News, he was a 5th or 6th round pick before the WJC but has jumped to atleast 3rd round due to it. If he drops, i wouldn't mind taking him but not in the first 3 rounds because of his size and Buffalo is loaded with small guys.... Gerbe, Ennis, Bryon and Roy.
What are you reading, because from what I've heard he's going in the 37th to 42 range.

Old
06-15-2009, 12:58 AM
glassjaw*

I have a feeling we'll draft Kassian.

Old
06-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjaw View Post
Though I'd like to have him because he'd fill a huge organizational need (size, snarl, skill), I have a feeling Edmonton, Minnesota or Nashville will nab Kassian before #13. Last year, I thought it was going to be Myers, Teubert or Colborne to Buffalo. This year, I think it will be Glennie, Despres or Moore. I wouldn't complain about any of those picks.

Old
06-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Luceni

I hope we can pick Kassian. He would re-fill a few needs of our organisation.

Old
06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjaw View Post
I have a feeling it will be Kreider, with Kassian off the board to Edmonton

Old
06-15-2009, 10:01 AM
aceface33

I don't think Kassian will go until pick 18+

Old
06-15-2009, 10:01 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I have a feeling it will be Kreider, with Kassian off the board to Edmonton
Agreed. The Oilers have the same need for size and skill that we do, if not more so because their top 6 is weaker.

Old
06-15-2009, 10:57 AM
N.Y. Orangeman

Love the Kreider pick, but I'd go with a guy like a guy like Kenny Ryan in the third. I know, I know..

Old
06-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Based on a lot of the mocks I've seen, it looks like Kreider is going in the late-teens at the earliest, and more often in the early-to-mid 20's. If they truly coveted him, shouldn't the team be looking to trade down for more picks, too?

Old
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Based on a lot of the mocks I've seen, it looks like Kreider is going in the late-teens at the earliest, and more often in the early-to-mid 20's. If they truly coveted him, shouldn't the team be looking to trade down for more picks, too?
Trading down doesn't guarantee anything... But if it was a short trade down 2-4 spots I'd consider it. LA got a 3rd from us for trading down ONE spot.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:31 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Its easy for us fans to say yea trade down because TSN and CSB rank him around 23-28 but sometimes if you like a guy that much you just take the gamble on him at your pick. There could be someone just behind you who feels the same way and grabs him from you.

Its really hard to say, but for us fans its easy to say trade down and grab a few more picks. In real life, sometimes it isn't that easy.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Mocks are usually a concensus of other outside factors. Every year, someone goes "off the board" (or at least off what the "experts" have created as their board) with a pick. If you speak to different scouts, it happens regularly that they have lists that look nothing like what you see here or with scouting publications. Think of this -- Peter Forsberg was deemed a reach by members of the press covering the '91 draft in Buffalo. THN had him in the second round and Philly took him 7th overall. Looking back, it is arguable that he was the best player in that draft (or if not then, certainly second best). Philly saw something in him and it paid off. Phoenix was roundly drubbed for taking Blake Wheeler #5 when he was a consensus mid-20's pick. After watching his rookie year, they may have been bang on. Derek Morris was another -- CSB had him at something like 48th overall among NA skaters and he went top 15 and is one of the best players out of his draft year. Guys rise, guys fall.

If they can slip down a few and still land someone they covet, great. If not, then get the best player they can, based on how they've scouted the kids, at the position they are in.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Its easy for us fans to say yea trade down because TSN and CSB rank him around 23-28 but sometimes if you like a guy that much you just take the gamble on him at your pick. There could be someone just behind you who feels the same way and grabs him from you.

Its really hard to say, but for us fans its easy to say trade down and grab a few more picks. In real life, sometimes it isn't that easy.
Agreed. Regier/Devine keep saying that they talent drops off after around the 10 pick. If they have Kreider listed in their top 10, they should pick him regardless of how TSN/ISS or whoever has him (same for Kassian or Leblanc or whoever). If none of their top 10 guys are available when their pick comes up, sure trade down if possible.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Mocks are usually a concensus of other outside factors. Every year, someone goes "off the board" (or at least off what the "experts" have created as their board) with a pick. If you speak to different scouts, it happens regularly that they have lists that look nothing like what you see here or with scouting publications. Think of this -- Peter Forsberg was deemed a reach by members of the press covering the '91 draft in Buffalo. THN had him in the second round and Philly took him 7th overall. Looking back, it is arguable that he was the best player in that draft (or if not then, certainly second best). Philly saw something in him and it paid off. Phoenix was roundly drubbed for taking Blake Wheeler #5 when he was a consensus mid-20's pick. After watching his rookie year, they may have been bang on. Derek Morris was another -- CSB had him at something like 48th overall among NA skaters and he went top 15 and is one of the best players out of his draft year. Guys rise, guys fall.

If they can slip down a few and still land someone they covet, great. If not, then get the best player they can, based on how they've scouted the kids, at the position they are in.
Well said. If one team sees something great in a player, chances are another team does as well. If you really really covet a guy then it might be worth it to take him when you can. Who knows if he will be around a little bit later.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I give Shane Malloy's latest mock two thumbs up!

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=281920

Quote:
13. Buffalo Sabres - Zack Kassian - 6-3/211 - Right Wing - (Peterborough/OHL)

Kassian is one of the only true power forwards on this list that can intimidate opponents and produce offence with equal efficiency. When he steps on the ice, he is always looking to make a check when the opportunity provides itself - and he hits to hurt. Do not let the rambunctious play distract you, since Kassian has some fine offensive skills at his disposal. His hockey sense and puck skills are good but not great which is fine since he bring other strong elements to the table. To his credit, Kassian does make good decisions with the puck and can surprise you at times and shows the passing skills to play with highly skilled players. He has a heavy shot and displays pretty soft hands in close around the net and could become a valuable crease presence. The kid is tough as nails and will hammer you with hits along the boards or in open ice and has no problem dropping the gloves and solving your problem. Kassian should develop into a reliable defensive player as he progresses. At times he can be a little inconsistent, but that is nothing new with prospects and as long as his work ethic is strong.

Closed Thread