HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Modifying gloves

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2009, 12:07 AM
  #1
JayK47
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Modifying gloves

Is there any way to make my gloves smaller? I bought a pair of new gloves and they are big on me. everytime I try to stick handle, it comes off about half of an inch, so I can't get good grips on the stick. i cant return it because I used it few times now. I didnt have any problems with other 14" gloves, just this particular one that i'm having trouble with. (TPS R8)

JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:10 AM
  #2
IniNew
 
IniNew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Keller
Country: United States
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
You could wear another glove, like a cotton/nylon type thing to add more volume to your hand, or you could sew in a velcro strap that you can tighten around your wrist. Only ideas I got.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:22 AM
  #3
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,514
vCash: 501
First thought I had: it would be a lot of work and would involve an industrial sewing machine, but you could probably take the palm off and cut off a little bit of the part of the glove that the palm attaches to. Basically the sides of the fingers is what I'm talking about. That would reduce the volume in the fingers a good bit, or however much you want.

Second thought, a lot easier. Hot glue craft foam into the top of the glove above your hand to eat up a little volume.

You may just be better off selling the gloves.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:29 PM
  #4
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
I can't imagine any easy way to make a glove smaller.

I guess one could unstitch something and make it tighter but you need to know how to sew and all that stuff I would think.

I wouldn't bother honestly. Making sure of the fit before buying them was the thing to do.

Not all gloves fit the same as you have found out. I have a pair of CCM 14" gloves and a pair of Easton Stealth gloves at 15" and they both fit the same. Gloves are something I will NOT buy online unless they clearly state returns are accepted if they are unused. I mean I can tell if a glove fits by putting it on while the tags are still on it.

In the old days when gloves were 100% leather you could saok them in hot water and the leather would shrink making them tighter after you let them dry thoroughly. Even throwing them ina clothes dryer back then would work to dry them tight. Maybe you may get enough palm leather to shrink to get your a little smaller but i doubt it would be all that dramatic a change.

With the dryer thing keep in mind if you have foam padding you may compromise or ruin it not to mention the nylon poly material over the foam padding. There isn't much leather in gloves these days.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
  #5
JayK47
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

In the old days when gloves were 100% leather you could saok them in hot water and the leather would shrink making them tighter after you let them dry thoroughly. Even throwing them ina clothes dryer back then would work to dry them tight. Maybe you may get enough palm leather to shrink to get your a little smaller but i doubt it would be all that dramatic a change.

With the dryer thing keep in mind if you have foam padding you may compromise or ruin it not to mention the nylon poly material over the foam padding. There isn't much leather in gloves these days.
Yes, I bought it online and I thought I learned my lesson when I bought shoulder pads online and didnt fit quite right. I didnt think I will have problem with gloves... I really learned it in hard way.
The TPS used good quality leather on their R8s and R10s on the palm area and there isnt any nylon poly material so maybe I will try the dry-machine method.

Thanks for the tip.

JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:18 PM
  #6
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK1204 View Post
Yes, I bought it online and I thought I learned my lesson when I bought shoulder pads online and didnt fit quite right. I didnt think I will have problem with gloves... I really learned it in hard way.
The TPS used good quality leather on their R8s and R10s on the palm area and there isnt any nylon poly material so maybe I will try the dry-machine method.

Thanks for the tip.
Well good luck and keep us posted as to what happens for you even if it turns out badly.

I would recommend a normal dryer setting so they get good and hot but not overly hot. Leather does shrink when wet and then dried.

I have dried sneakers that were a little too loose and then they fit me well afterwards.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:12 PM
  #7
JayK47
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Well good luck and keep us posted as to what happens for you even if it turns out badly.
ok.... it turned out to be a failure... the palms are fine and shrunk a bit but other side of gloves are damaged. synthetic leather(vinyl, i think) melted.
well, another lesson learned in hard way. I'm not blaming you hockeyfan so dont feel bad. I'm gonna donate this gloves to my poor coach who wears 10 years old palmless gloves.

JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:11 PM
  #8
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK1204 View Post
ok.... it turned out to be a failure... the palms are fine and shrunk a bit but other side of gloves are damaged. synthetic leather(vinyl, i think) melted.
well, another lesson learned in hard way. I'm not blaming you hockeyfan so dont feel bad. I'm gonna donate this gloves to my poor coach who wears 10 years old palmless gloves.
I'm glad I threw out the damage disclaimer before you did it when I mentioned possible damage since there isn't much leather these days.

I'm sure your coach will appreciate them at least.

I'm sorry they got ruined in a case ...

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.