HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Interesting, Penguins may have more Quebecers than the Habs

Old
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
tigidou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why?
Do you know them?
Were you raised, go to school or play with them?
Did you have any effect on their hockey career?

No, then basically you have no bearing on their career path so what do you have to be proud of? That they come from the same lineage as you? Great, if we go deep enough, we all come from Africa. That they come from the same city as you? Great, doesn't make any difference, it does not make you any better because you grew up where they did, they had the talent, they made their careers and they won it, you did nothing.

This is why I don't understand it.

c'mon.. The same way people are proud when a local movie makes it at Canne's festival.. Of when Team Canada wins a medal at the Olympics..

It makes you proud to be Canadian or Quebecois (whatever float's your boat)..

You're right, we did not contribute to their success, but this is not really rational.. Tell me you don't feel anything when Team Canada wins at the olympics ? To a smaller scale, it is similar (the concept is the same).

tigidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Devulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigidou View Post
c'mon.. The same way people are proud when a local movie makes it at Canne's festival.. Of when Team Canada wins a medal at the Olympics..

It makes you proud to be Canadian or Quebecois (whatever float's your boat)..

You're right, we did not contribute to their success, but this is not really rational.. Tell me you don't feel anything when Team Canada wins at the olympics ? To a smaller scale, it is similar (the concept is the same).
I don't feel anything when team canada wins. Actually I usually cheer against them. I don't get this I'm proud of guys who lived near me stuff either. Why should I care anymore for someone I don't know that lived close to me, than someone I don't know who lived further away? It's the same, it's just a random guy who couldn't care less about you, that you don't know(obviously if you do know them it's different)

Devulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devulous View Post
I don't feel anything when team canada wins. Actually I usually cheer against them. I don't get this I'm proud of guys who lived near me stuff either. Why should I care anymore for someone I don't know that lived close to me, than someone I don't know who lived further away? It's the same, it's just a random guy who couldn't care less about you, that you don't know(obviously if you do know them it's different)
It's an old concept in the social psychology. You build your self esteem by appropriating the performances of the groups you feel you belong to.

Step 1 - Choose the group you feel you're part of (your family, your city, Québec, Canada, North America, Earth - when we're fighting aliens). Or specific groups like students, parents, heterosexuals, white/black, blond haired, HFboarders etc.

Step 2 - Trace in your mind a clear line that delimits your group (called in-group) and the rest (called the out-group)

Step 3 - Use all sort of realistic or not arguments to prove that the in-group is better then the out-group.

Step 4 - Profit (as in - feel good about yourself)

So - it's normal

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Why is it so hard to understand that somebody might feel proud when a guy he used to see at the arena during his childhood lifts the Stanley Cup?

I'll sure be there to applaud him when Kris Letang brings the cup to our hometown of Sainte-Julie.

And there's a difference between having players from the province and having a team full of them.

If, in your opinion, we should only focus on winning and not bother with having local players on the team, then why should people cheer for the local team exactly? Shouldn't we all cheer for the team that wins the most?
People pick a team for whatever reason. Maybe it is someone from their hometown playing for that team, or they play 5 minutes away, people pick that team. Once you become a hardcore fan of that team, you want to win. You don't care if they win and the team is entire Quebecois players, or they don't have a single one. They could all be unisex aliens from a distant galaxy.

Instead of saying "Let's get a bunch of quebecois players!!!!!" Why not get them if they help the team and if we already have players like them, don't bother.

As for Kris Letang, I thought he was from Montréal ?

A side story, when the pens won my mom tried to tell me Kris Letang was from Renfrew for about 20 minutes... Apparently there's a Kris Letang here as well, but they pronounce the last name differently.

Last edited by Analyzer: 06-15-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Why is it so hard to understand that somebody might feel proud when a guy he used to see at the arena during his childhood lifts the Stanley Cup?

I'll sure be there to applaud him when Kris Letang brings the cup to our hometown of Sainte-Julie.

And there's a difference between having players from the province and having a team full of them.

If, in your opinion, we should only focus on winning and not bother with having local players on the team, then why should people cheer for the local team exactly? Shouldn't we all cheer for the team that wins the most?
No. There's a difference in cheering for the new winners every year and cheering for the Local team.
People cheer for the local team because it's based in Mtl, not because it's filled with Quebecers. I don't give two craps about the name behind the jersey and most of the fans share the same opinion.

If the team has a lot of Quebs, then great. If they don't, then great.

To be honest, if the Montreal Canadiens consisted only of Quebecers, it wouldn't represent Montreal better.

Montreal is a multi-ethnic city, and its team represents it to perfection.

I really don't care if my neighbor from Ville St-Laurent when I was young turned pro and won the cup. Might be a nice little story to talk about around the water cooler at work, but other than that who cares. It's certainly not going to change a thing in my life or bring me more happiness.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:40 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
People pick a team for whatever reason. Maybe it is someone from their hometown playing for that team, or they play 5 minutes away, people pick that team. Once you become a hardcore fan of that team, you want to win. You don't care if they win and the team is entire Quebecois players, or they don't have a single one. They could all be unisex aliens from a distant galaxy.

Instead of saying "Let's get a bunch of quebecois players!!!!!" Why not get them if they help the team and if we already have players like them, don't bother.

A side story, when the pens won my mom tried to tell me Kris Letang was from Renfrew for about 20 minutes... Apparently there's a Kris Letang here as well, but they pronounce the last name differently.
Being a fellow Renfrewite, I can help clear this up for you. Your mom was probably thinking of Alan Letang (pronounced Let-All) for some reason. He was drafted in 1993 by the Habs. It was all the buzz around town for a little while. He never really panned out. I remember he was on Dallas in NHL 98, and he had something like a 52 rating (didn't do too much for my hometown pride).

Aside from terrible Ted, the only other real notable player from Renfrew is Jim Peplinski. Shawn Heins played some Junior B hockey here, but he's from Eganville, so he doesn't count.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Jaded-Fan

Not commenting at all on the specific topic at hand. Obviously the number of Quebec players on the team was not a factor in the Cup win. But I have been following the Pens for thirty years now and always have had a soft spot for the region because the Pens have always had a nice representation from there. Starting even before Mario with our first budding 'superstar' Michel Brière whose career started in such a promising way and was cut tragically short when it had barely begun. I can not remember a Pens' team where the region was not well represented. So although it was never a key in how many wins the Pens have had, this year or any other, it does make the region special to many Pittsburghers.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No. There's a difference in cheering for the new winners every year and cheering for the Local team.
People cheer for the local team because it's based in Mtl, not because it's filled with Quebecers. I don't give two craps about the name behind the jersey and most of the fans share the same opinion.

To be honest, if the Montreal Canadiens consisted only of Quebecers, it wouldn't represent Montreal better.

I really don't care if my neighbor from Ville St-Laurent when I was young turned pro and won the cup. Might be a nice little story to talk about around the water cooler at work, but other than that who cares. It's certainly not going to change a thing in my life or bring me more happiness.
Crap. No one is asking for a 100% team made of Quebecois. This as stupid as having 2-3 impact players who were borned in the Province. The Oilers and the Flames have/had a load of local players on their roster, and Montreal should focus on the same thing.

In the end, it might change this team to something different than an average one.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:37 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprez View Post
Just how Mario Lemieux start to lose his french . He been losing his quebecer accent a long time ago.Now he's starting to lose his french.It's funny how french canadian lose their french/accent if they stay in usa .. But the russian don't lose it at all(russian)

It's heartbreaking from someone that cherish his native tongue and culture.I don't care if sydney crosby lose it.But Mario Lemieux?
Ummm yeah, Russians do. The more fluent they become at speaking english, the more they lose the accent. Kovalev and Federov just to name a couple speak very clear english..

Whats really funny is that you actually find it heartbreaking that Lemieux can speak english very fluent, like you are somehow offended by it. WTF man? Would you also be offended if he spoke perfect spanish? Get over it...

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
Being a fellow Renfrewite, I can help clear this up for you. Your mom was probably thinking of Alan Letang (pronounced Let-All) for some reason. He was drafted in 1993 by the Habs. It was all the buzz around town for a little while. He never really panned out. I remember he was on Dallas in NHL 98, and he had something like a 52 rating (didn't do too much for my hometown pride).

Aside from terrible Ted, the only other real notable player from Renfrew is Jim Peplinski. Shawn Heins played some Junior B hockey here, but he's from Eganville, so he doesn't count.
Jim is a cousin, or uncle of a teacher I had here.

Shawn Heins Supposedly had the hardest slapshot.

Though, that Let-All thing is weird. Though, I guess it's like Bufflien.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Crap. No one is asking for a 100% team made of Quebecois. This as stupid as having 2-3 impact players who were borned in the Province. The Oilers and the Flames have/had a load of local players on their roster, and Montreal should focus on the same thing.

In the end, it might change this team to something different than an average one.

So your saying you would rather have local players on the team whether they can play hockey or not instead of having players from BC who can actually play hockey??

I'm some glad your not the GM. That way of thinking is wayyy old fashioned and GM's stopped thinking that way back in the 80's.

GM's are looking for the best players to fill the roster....they aren't worrying about where they are from. If the best UFA centerman is from Quebec then fine, but if there is a better centerman who is from Newfoundland....well he's the one I want my GM to go after.

Get with the times....a team full of frenchies doesn't equal a winning team or a Stanley Cup anymore. It might have back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.....but not anymore.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:53 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Ummm yeah, Russians do. The more fluent they become at speaking english, the more they lose the accent. Kovalev and Federov just to name a couple speak very clear english..

Whats really funny is that you actually find it heartbreaking that Lemieux can speak english very fluent, like you are somehow offended by it. WTF man? Would you also be offended if he spoke perfect spanish? Get over it...
Samsonov, man he speaks better english then I do.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:51 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Swing and a miss.

I don't know, talking to my friends who are Ottawa and Toronto fans all they want are players from Ontario and winning seems to take a back seat...

All you hear about is how Ottawa wants Marc Savard, Dan Boyle and Derek Roy, because they're home town boys.

I wish people would get real an realize that winning > getting a team full of players from your province.

I guess I should be a Detroit fan since Terrible Ted Lindsay is from my hometown.
I really don't get the swing and a miss?

It maybe nice to have on hometown boy on the team, but if you have all hometown boys it usually doesn't work because of pressures and plus styles have to match.

We should have all 23 roster players be Latendresse and Lapierre types?

How good would that team be?

A Cup contender I guess according to the thread stater saying Talbot won the Cup for the Pens and didn't need Malkin, Crosby and Goncher.

I'll admit Talbot stepped up in the Finals and was probably their best player outside of Fleury. But to dismiss the others is crazy...he didn't get them all the way.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
CanadienErrant*

The Canadiens without local/province born players (Anglos or Francos, or any races) would be like Manchester without a UK born player or Real Madrid without a Spanish-born player... The fans would not appreciate. Here, 80% of the Habs fans filling the Bell are not only from Quebec but also French-speaking people.

A bit of respect for the paying clientele is somewhat desirable.

They have won 24 Cups with rosters made at 50% or more of local born players.(English or French-doesn't matter)

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
JackieChan

Quote:

If I'm a fan of the Leinster Rugby Club living in Quebec, of course I don't give a **** if the players are from the Leinster province or not. But I lived in Dublin for 4 months and trust me, Dubliners are proud to have Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland's national team captain) on their team. Cmon, sport is not a science, you're choosing to be rational about something many here are passionate about.

And Letang may have been born in Mtl, but he grew up in Sainte-Julie and his parents still live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

I'd agree to say that most fans outside the province dont give two craps about the naem behind the jersey, but from what I can tell, fans from within do appreciate to see Quebecers make the team. And there's a huge difference between this and wanting a team exclusively from Quebec.

Last time I checked, Montrealers are Quebecers too, no matter what their ethnic background is. Seeing a guy like Angelo Esposito on the league's doorstep, and the attention it got in the french media and fanbase, is a good example showing how "wanting Quebecers on the team" goes hand in hand with Montreal's cosmopolitan identity.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote