HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Ideas for the "New" NHL

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2004, 12:20 PM
VaporXX

vCash: 500
Ideas for the "New" NHL

1. Reduce Rosters to 18.That's 3 forward lines, 2 lines of "D", 2 extra forwards, 1 extra D, and a backup goalie. In the new hockey news Phil Esposito suggests that 3rd and 4th line players can "sprint for 30 second shifts" and harass the star players. In his day guys took 2 minute shifts so the stars got to shine, the pests couldn't keep up. Real "checkers" like Bob Gainey were great players as well, not just velcro. Totally agree with Espo.

2. Fire Gary Bettman, and name Wayne Gretzky President of the NHL. Not Commissioner that's the title the little dick-taitor Bettman gave himself. Gretz would get a major TV contract...he made hockey popular in LA didn't he?

3. Move the Florida Panthers to Quebec and the Columbus Blue Jackets to Winnipeg. You don't need 2 teams in Florida or a team in Ohio. Never, ever move Buffalo or Pittsburgh anywhere...ever.

4. NO MORE EXPANSION, when Deron Quint makes 1 million because he is the best offensive defensemen available I would say the talent pool is alittle diluted.

5. After rosters are reduced allow those players to sign with the new "WHA"
which should start with teams in Seattle, Portland Or., Victoria BC, Sacramento, Montana, & Columbus. Goalies need other good goalies to press them to play better, the NHL NEEDS a rival league to make it better.

6. No salary cap, players should be traded for players, not for salary reduction like in baseball. Reduce ticket prices across the board by 20%, and players salaries by 20%. AND LETS GET PLAYING AGAIN.

7. A good publication to promote the league. Someone tell The Hockey News to give out information again like they stopped doing in 1990 and not just their one line opinions. A nice complete magazine once a month filled with photos put out by the NHL. Promoting the games young stars (the future) like the NBA does (and with only 2% of their criminal record) and not a worship rag for overblown, pompus windbags like J.R. or Brett Hull, and drunks like Eddie Belfour. I'm talkin' Iginla, Richards, & Luongo here.

That's it...it'll never happen but I had to get it out there.

Last edited by VaporXX: 10-08-2004 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Numbered List Wrong
Old
10-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Mountain Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporXX
1. Reduce Rosters to 18.That's 3 forward lines, 2 lines of "D", 2 extra forwards, 1 extra D, and a backup goalie. In the new hockey news Phil Esposito suggests that 3rd and 4th line players can "sprint for 30 second shifts" and harass the star players. In his day guys took 2 minute shifts so the stars got to shine, the pests couldn't keep up. Real "checkers" like Bob Gainey were great players as well, not just velcro. Totally agree with Espo.

2. Fire Gary Bettman, and name Wayne Gretzky President of the NHL. Not Commissioner that's the title the little dick-taitor Bettman gave himself. Gretz would get a major TV contract...he made hockey popular in LA didn't he?

3. Move the Florida Panthers to Quebec and the Columbus Blue Jackets to Winnipeg. You don't need 2 teams in Florida or a team in Ohio. Never, ever move Buffalo or Pittsburgh anywhere...ever.

4. NO MORE EXPANSION, when Deron Quint makes 1 million because he is the best offensive defensemen available I would say the talent pool is alittle diluted.

5. After rosters are reduced allow those players to sign with the new "WHA"
which should start with teams in Seattle, Portland Or., Victoria BC, Sacramento, Montana, & Columbus. Goalies need other good goalies to press them to play better, the NHL NEEDS a rival league to make it better.

6. No salary cap, players should be traded for players, not for salary reduction like in baseball. Reduce ticket prices across the board by 20%, and players salaries by 20%. AND LETS GET PLAYING AGAIN.

7. A good publication to promote the league. Someone tell The Hockey News to give out information again like they stopped doing in 1990 and not just their one line opinions. A nice complete magazine once a month filled with photos put out by the NHL. Promoting the games young stars (the future) like the NBA does (and with only 2% of their criminal record) and not a worship rag for overblown, pompus windbags like J.R. or Brett Hull, and drunks like Eddie Belfour. I'm talkin' Iginla, Richards, & Luongo here.

That's it...it'll never happen but I had to get it out there.
1. No. There are way to many injuries to have a roster be that small. Secondly, the players that played in those days didn't play nearly as hard as they do today. If they want to take a 2 minute shift, fine, but you'll be getting scored on at least once a shift by those teams who recognize that short shifts are extremely crucial.

2. While naming Gretzky would seem like a good idea, I feel that the job is too dirty, and I wouldn't want Gretzky to tarnish his name for that, but I agree that Bettman isn't the right guy.

3. Hockey wise it makes sense. Unfortunately economically it doesn't.

4. Obviously.

5. Two leagues would just divide the talent pool even more! Thats a terrible idea!

6. That would just create the same problem, it doesn't solve anything. It would just reduce revenue by 20% and costs by 20%, but the owners would still be losing billions of dollars. Don't quite get your logic there.

7. There is no market for that in the big scheme of things. Nobody is going to buy that outside of Canada, and a small amount of cities in the northern part of the US.

Old
10-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
And they'd enforce reducing ticket prices... how?

Yeah, like that'd ever happen.

Old
10-08-2004, 04:54 PM
silver_made*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporXX
replace florida and columbus with one of: anaheim (3 teams in cali? 2 within miles of each other? one is trying to be unloaded by disney, a company rolling in dough. la gets the nod b/c they are older, and ppl across the country have actually heard of la), carolina (plays in raleigh? is or isn't that even the biggest city in its own state? charlotte being bigger would be my guest), and/or phoenix (read a usa today article about 2 years ago in which phoenix was declared the worst major market for pro sports)

Old
10-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Missionhockey

From what I hear Colombus draws well and the NHL isn't going to move a healthy franchise.

Old
10-08-2004, 07:49 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
From what I hear Colombus draws well and the NHL isn't going to move a healthy franchise.
Facts and reality don't really matter---when it's time for one of these idiotic threads (and it's already been a week or so since the last one), nothing will prevent the idiocy.

Old
10-08-2004, 08:01 PM
jacketracket*

...almost forgot...move Buffalo to Hamilton.

Old
10-08-2004, 08:07 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
How bout this:

1. Salary Cap to have more competition in the league. Now just because Calgary, Tampa Bay, and Anaheim have been Cup Finalist in the last two years, you still always see the same teams in the playoffs year after year. Its a given that Detroit, Coloardo, Philadelphia, St. Louis are all going to be in the postseason. Lets make it a tad bit harder for them with a hard cap.

2. Two 4-on-4 OT's if no winner is reached after 3 periods, and if there is still no winner after the Overtimes go into a shoot-out.

3. Lower the ticket prices. You know in other sports like Baseball, and Basketball you can buy tickets for cheap. And that brings a lot of people into the seats. I mean $20 for a lodge seat at Baseball games is a great deal. And yet at hockey games (and hockey is a distant 4th in the 4 major sports) they are about $30 more expensive. Granted Baseball stadiums are bigger and hold about 30,000 more seats, but come on now. People can go to baseball games, and have no problem with the expenses, and have a good time. But hockey games cost a lot more.

4. As far as low scoring goes I feel that it is fine where its at. The fact that it is hard to get a goal is great, because it makes the game more difficult, and IMO more exciting. 2-1, 3-2, 1-0 games are great, and even the occasional 5-4. Higher scoring increases the chances of blow outs. You know whats great about Hockey, is that is different from any other sports. You can put your money on the better team in baseball or football, and come out with a victory. But in Hockey anything can happen. And yes Detroit, Colorado, and Philadelphia are in the playoffs every year, but the games are close MOST of the time.

Just throwing out a few of my ideas for a "new NHL."

Old
10-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Mountain Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
3. Lower the ticket prices. You know in other sports like Baseball, and Basketball you can buy tickets for cheap. And that brings a lot of people into the seats. I mean $20 for a lodge seat at Baseball games is a great deal. And yet at hockey games (and hockey is a distant 4th in the 4 major sports) they are about $30 more expensive. Granted Baseball stadiums are bigger and hold about 30,000 more seats, but come on now. People can go to baseball games, and have no problem with the expenses, and have a good time. But hockey games cost a lot more.

Just throwing out a few of my ideas for a "new NHL."
Again, how are the owners going to stop losing money by lowering ticket prices?

Old
10-09-2004, 02:36 PM
hunter1909*

MY NHL: OILERS KINGS FLAMES CANUCKS....WILD BLUES WINGS HAWKS...LEAFS HABS SENS BRUINS...NY RANGERS NY ISLES NJ DEVS FLYERS
Favourite Gadgets: ALL TEAMS TO PLAY IN 4 TEAM DIVISIONS 8X EACH...AND 4X EACH WITH OTHER DIVISIONS = 72 GAME SCHEDULE
Occupation: ALL THE OTHER TEAMS BOOTED OUT...NO MORE FIGHTING RESTRICTIONS WHATSOEVER JUST LIKE THE 1960S

sorry about the caps guys...

i just cut it from my pro-file

: p

Old
10-09-2004, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_made
replace florida and columbus with one of: ... and/or phoenix (read a usa today article about 2 years ago in which phoenix was declared the worst major market for pro sports)
Phoenix is a case of a city that has grown in the wrong areas ahead of the time it was necessary. For the longest time, the NBA's Phoenix Suns were the only game in town, for over 20 years, they were the only pro sport played in the Valley. Then in the late 80's, '88 I believe is when the NFL brought the Cardinals to Phoenix. The market was able to handle two pro sports teams. Then you saw the NHL bring the Coyotes and MLB bring the Diamondback's in the mid-90's and that saturated the market. Not to mention all of the minor league sports, college sports, and other activities available year round in the state (very heavy tourist market due to 3/4 year great weather).

The sports market grew too quick, and instead of responding to the demand of the sports, they split the market into sections and each sport has suffered for it. The only sports that draw a crowd in Phoenix are the teams who are winning. Simple as that, and it makes for a very difficult situation for all 4 pro sports teams, just ask them.

The other side of it that hurts the city is that Phoenix is a melting pot of people from New York, Chicago, Detroit, California, Mexico, you name it. If you go to a Coyotes-Red Wings game, you might see more Red Wing's jersey's in the crowd than the Coyotes. Not to mention when the Wings score and half the building is cheering. Same happens when the Hawks, Avs, Rangers, etc. are in Phoenix.

It takes a long time for fans to develop their devotion to the local sports team, and none of the local sports teams have done much to develop that devotion. The Suns got it because they were the only sport available, and have now largely lost it because of the choices available.

Not that anybody cared, but 1996 was probably not the best time to emerge in Phoenix with a hockey team. Minor league hockey barely survived with the Phoenix Roadrunners (WHA & IHL) on and off for 20 years, the sports market grew too much too fast.

Old
10-10-2004, 07:27 PM
hunter1909*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Phoenix is a case of a city that has grown in the wrong areas ahead of the time it was necessary. For the longest time, the NBA's Phoenix Suns were the only game in town, for over 20 years, they were the only pro sport played in the Valley. Then in the late 80's, '88 I believe is when the NFL brought the Cardinals to Phoenix. The market was able to handle two pro sports teams. Then you saw the NHL bring the Coyotes and MLB bring the Diamondback's in the mid-90's and that saturated the market. Not to mention all of the minor league sports, college sports, and other activities available year round in the state (very heavy tourist market due to 3/4 year great weather).

The sports market grew too quick, and instead of responding to the demand of the sports, they split the market into sections and each sport has suffered for it. The only sports that draw a crowd in Phoenix are the teams who are winning. Simple as that, and it makes for a very difficult situation for all 4 pro sports teams, just ask them.

The other side of it that hurts the city is that Phoenix is a melting pot of people from New York, Chicago, Detroit, California, Mexico, you name it. If you go to a Coyotes-Red Wings game, you might see more Red Wing's jersey's in the crowd than the Coyotes. Not to mention when the Wings score and half the building is cheering. Same happens when the Hawks, Avs, Rangers, etc. are in Phoenix.

It takes a long time for fans to develop their devotion to the local sports team, and none of the local sports teams have done much to develop that devotion. The Suns got it because they were the only sport available, and have now largely lost it because of the choices available.

Not that anybody cared, but 1996 was probably not the best time to emerge in Phoenix with a hockey team. Minor league hockey barely survived with the Phoenix Roadrunners (WHA & IHL) on and off for 20 years, the sports market grew too much too fast.
dont worry...cuz gretzky will always have a job in edmonton lol

Old
10-10-2004, 10:59 PM

I'm not worried, and certainly not about Gretzky's business ventures, but that doesn't change the unstable sports climate in Phoenix. Too much too fast.

Old
10-11-2004, 08:16 AM
jairadballerina

Quote:
Reduce ticket prices across the board by 20%, and players salaries by 20%. AND LETS GET PLAYING AGAIN.
Basic economic principle here: Player salaries are not directly related to ticket prices. Ticket prices are set by demand.

There should be a new rule in this forum. Anytime someone suggests that a franchise move or fold for no good reason (saying hockey doesn't belong in X state is not a good reason) automatically gets their favorite team moved to Alabama.

Old
10-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jairadballerina
There should be a new rule in this forum. Anytime someone suggests that a franchise move or fold for no good reason (saying hockey doesn't belong in X state is not a good reason) automatically gets their favorite team moved to Alabama.
Nice!

Closed Thread