HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL 10 worst contracts.. Briere #6

Old
06-14-2009, 12:56 PM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Surprised Brad Richards isn't on the list near the bottom. I think he deserves to be there much more than Vinny.

Brad Richards has perhaps the WORST contract in the entire NHL. He had one really really good season and now he's getting 7.8 mil???? However, if you talk to one certain Vanc fan who's been visiting our site in recent days he'll tell you that Richards is an AWESOME player and that he wasn't traded basically for peanuts just as a salary dump. HE believes that Brad Richards being traded for an unproven goalie prospect and a few other spare parts means that Schneider can EASILY return Simon Gagne from our team and that Briere and his contract isn't even close to comparable to B Richards and his contract.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:00 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I am going to give the Flyers medical staff a pass on this one. I think this was Briere's fault more then anything not being in shape at training camp that led to his problems. For once I am giving the medical staff a pass on this one.

I keep telling you guys that when TMI nearly melted down that it was actually far far worse than they are telling us even now. The water supply to Philly MUST be contaminated because it's not just the Flyers in Philly that always have serious injury problems. Players who were previously healthy their entire careers come here and battle the injury bug. It's troubling.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:25 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Weird that Briere, Drury, and Gomez are all there - they were the plums of that offseason.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Brad Richards has perhaps the WORST contract in the entire NHL. He had one really really good season and now he's getting 7.8 mil???? However, if you talk to one certain Vanc fan who's been visiting our site in recent days he'll tell you that Richards is an AWESOME player and that he wasn't traded basically for peanuts just as a salary dump. HE believes that Brad Richards being traded for an unproven goalie prospect and a few other spare parts means that Schneider can EASILY return Simon Gagne from our team and that Briere and his contract isn't even close to comparable to B Richards and his contract.
Richards contract is more palatable because there is only 2 years left so I don't know if it would qualify as the worst at this point, but it surely was looking like the worst for a while. I believe he was signed to the max at the time which is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Weird that Briere, Drury, and Gomez are all there - they were the plums of that offseason.
Which lead to them all being overpaid.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:11 AM
miltons rules

Just curious, can the flyers trade briere and pay part of his salary for the team he's being traded to just to clear him from our cap?

miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:18 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton rules View Post
Just curious, can the flyers trade briere and pay part of his salary for the team he's being traded to just to clear him from our cap?
No. Someone had proposed that they change the rules to allow that but it never happened. I belive it was Brian Burke.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
No. Someone had proposed that they change the rules to allow that but it never happened. I belive it was Brian Burke.
It was, and I know Holland supports it as well. I think it's likely that you'll see this happen in the future, as apparently the vote wasn't that far off and it had moved from the last time Burke had suggested it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:33 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It was, and I know Holland supports it as well. I think it's likely that you'll see this happen in the future, as apparently the vote wasn't that far off and it had moved from the last time Burke had suggested it.
Why wouldn't that vote pass? Big money clubs can benefit when in a tough cap situation, small market clubs can take advantage of GMs like Holmgren who need to get guys off their cap. Are there that many teams in the middle who prefer to let teams like us suffer and get fleeced?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Why wouldn't that vote pass? Big money clubs can benefit when in a tough cap situation, small market clubs can take advantage of GMs like Holmgren who need to get guys off their cap. Are there that many teams in the middle who prefer to let teams like us suffer and get fleeced?
I don't know...personally, I think they should make cap space itself a tradeable commodity. It would help facilitate deadline deals, and also let bottom-dwellers get something back for cap space they're not going to use.

Old
06-15-2009, 04:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Moreover, how many people here wanted Drury or Gomez over them (I know I wanted Gomez over Briere).

AND that looking back on the situation we were in, expected us to sit back and do nothing if this is what it meant.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 04:42 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Brad Richards got 7.8 million as an RFA aswell. even worse

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 04:49 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I don't know...personally, I think they should make cap space itself a tradeable commodity. It would help facilitate deadline deals, and also let bottom-dwellers get something back for cap space they're not going to use.
Would you allow them to trade all the space they had? The concept is neat, but this year just the bottom five teams had over $50M in cap space unused. Some teams could really break the bank with that.

Old
06-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Would you allow them to trade all the space they had? The concept is neat, but this year just the bottom five teams had over $50M in cap space unused. Some teams could really break the bank with that.
Why not?

Look at the trades that MIGHT have happened in any given year (certainly we don't know all of them) if cap space had been something a team could "acquire". How about trades that might not have happened...if we could have traded for cap space we don't unload Scottie Upshall...say, instead, Holmgren sent a draft pick to someone for an extra 2M in cap space for the rest of the season?

1) that helps us out immensely obviously.

2) some team that wasn't using the space now has a pick to help rebuild their team.

Moreover, the way the salary cap works...who has and does not have cap space is completely irrelevant. If the LEAGUE spends more than LEAGUE revenue, then the players owe a portion of their salary back. All this would do is facilitate moving that salary around the league a bit differently.

Old
06-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Moreover, how many people here wanted Drury or Gomez over them (I know I wanted Gomez over Briere).

AND that looking back on the situation we were in, expected us to sit back and do nothing if this is what it meant.
Drury is clearly overpaid for what he brings to the table...still remarkable that everyone forgot he wasn't a no. 1 center that summer. He's a guy I would love to have on this team, but I wasn't going to pay him like a first liner.

I think lambasting Briere's contract is a bit too much, as I don't think he's necessarily all that overpaid given that the majority of $$ goes to offense, and he certainly provides that, a lot of it. The problem with Briere's contract is that it is too much for us, and a difficult contract to move on top of that. So, sure, he might be a bit overpaid (most UFAs are if you pool all contracts together), but it's nothing ridiculous. And if Carter and Richards weren't producing at a high level, and earning their own big contracts, we wouldn't have a problem.

Old
06-15-2009, 06:00 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Why not?

Look at the trades that MIGHT have happened in any given year (certainly we don't know all of them) if cap space had been something a team could "acquire". How about trades that might not have happened...if we could have traded for cap space we don't unload Scottie Upshall...say, instead, Holmgren sent a draft pick to someone for an extra 2M in cap space for the rest of the season?

1) that helps us out immensely obviously.

2) some team that wasn't using the space now has a pick to help rebuild their team.

Moreover, the way the salary cap works...who has and does not have cap space is completely irrelevant. If the LEAGUE spends more than LEAGUE revenue, then the players owe a portion of their salary back. All this would do is facilitate moving that salary around the league a bit differently.
I'm just curious to see how the market would bear it out. What if a middling draft pick turns out to be worth like $10M? You could potentially see a team icing an $80M+ lineup if they add those extra contracts at the deadline. League revenues would be fine, but the competitive balance would be so skewed. Only a few teams could even think about doing that. You couldn't keep doing that for years, but what if this year's Flyers went out and traded for a top rental at each postion? I have no idea which rentals were available other than JBo, but the idea of a team completely selling the farm for a stacked Cup run is certainly possible. Would you be cool with that?

Old
06-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
I'm just curious to see how the market would bear it out. What if a middling draft pick turns out to be worth like $10M? You could potentially see a team icing an $80M+ lineup if they add those extra contracts at the deadline. League revenues would be fine, but the competitive balance would be so skewed. Only a few teams could even think about doing that. You couldn't keep doing that for years, but what if this year's Flyers went out and traded for a top rental at each postion? I have no idea which rentals were available other than JBo, but the idea of a team completely selling the farm for a stacked Cup run is certainly possible. Would you be cool with that?
Yes, I think -- to appease such concerns -- you would presumably have some cap on how much extra you could acquire. I would also allow teams to acquire cap space in season, which would mean teams could not load up on salary during the offseason...in fact, you could go so far as to make it impossible to trade for cap space until after some date in the season (therefore, teams couldn't sit 10% over in the offseason and immediately acquire space to comply with the cap).

Old
06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Yes, I think -- to appease such concerns -- you would presumably have some cap on how much extra you could acquire. I would also allow teams to acquire cap space in season, which would mean teams could not load up on salary during the offseason...in fact, you could go so far as to make it impossible to trade for cap space until after some date in the season (therefore, teams couldn't sit 10% over in the offseason and immediately acquire space to comply with the cap).
Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan worked out. I'd be all for it, but I can't imagine it would ever get enough votes to go through.

Old
06-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Lupul and Timonen must be #11 and #12.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

That list is incomplete without Huet.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Fail.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:24 PM
flyboys15

Quote:
Huet prob beats Lupul for 11 and Kimmo's contract has been worth every penny. You could make a better argument for Hartnell's contract but I wouldn't, you're kind of just a silly person for saying that.

flyboys15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboys15 View Post
Huet prob beats Lupul for 11 and Kimmo's contract has been worth every penny. You could make a better argument for Hartnell's contract but I wouldn't, you're kind of just a silly person for saying that.
As much as Kimmo is the man now and hes the best player on the team, hes going to be 38 when that contract expires and to be paying a 37 or 38 year old dman 6.4 million is kind of scary. Right now we all love it but we might not be loving it so much in 2 years when hes 36 and making 6.4 million while we are desperately trying to sign Gagne, Carter, Giroux and Spisa all in one summer. Kimmo has been mentioned very often as having a bad contract, this isnt the first time.

Honestly, I wouldnt mind moving him for a younger dman if we had the chance(Kimmo + for someone like phaneuf). Only because that contract could really suck in 2 years when he might not be good enough to be the rock of the first pairing.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboys15 View Post
Kimmo's contract has been worth every penny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Fail.
Sorry, bros.

Vacant rebuttals make it no less true. Kimmo's deal is rotten.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:42 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Sorry, bros.

Vacant rebuttals make it no less true. Kimmo's deal is rotten.
You can't be serious.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Huet, Penner, Nylander, Handzus, Rolston, Fisher, DiPietro even Elias and a few others before we get to Lupul and I do not think Timonen is overpaid.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote