HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Balsillie bid rejected

Old
06-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Rgolt

vCash: 500
Balsillie bid rejected

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281971

......so stupid

p.s....eklund is reporting that the leafs have interest in Lapierre lol

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:42 PM
VanNistelrooy

Stupid ****.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Bettman

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
le_sean

Damn I was hoping for one more team to hate. Oh well, guess we get to keep dirt town Buffalo in the division instead of dirt town Hamilton.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Damn I was hoping for one more team to hate. Oh well, guess we get to keep dirt town Buffalo in the division instead of dirt town Hamilton.
And I was hoping to have an AHL team in Laval....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Good. I don't want a team in Hamilton. Winnipeg or Quebec City, sure... not Hamilton.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:04 PM
HabsoluteFate

what a bunch of bull...

the judge did not do his job here...this was a bankrupty case where he is supposed to try and get the creditors as much money as possible. if i was a creditor i would be pissed

the NHL should be shot for wanting to keep a team there after 13 seasons of losing money but yet Winnipeg was only a few seasons of losing money and they did not bother trying to keep them there.

shame on the baseball comissioner saying the judge would set a precedent, when he himself moved a team going bankrupt 20+ years ago

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:08 PM
David_99

I'm sure Bettman can't wait for his warm welcome on draft day.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I'm sure Bettman can't wait for his warm welcome on draft day.

Why boo Bettman, if not for him the NHL would still be in the mess they had in the 90's with a boring brand of hockey and the same 5-6 big teams signing all the top players each summer.

Bettman's job is to posture that they stay in Phoenix until he can get tranfer money and get board approval for a move. If you just let NHL teams move around on a whim it would turn into a circus. I honestly thought hockey fans were smarter than that...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why boo Bettman, if not for him the NHL would still be in the mess they had in the 90's with a boring brand of hockey and the same 5-6 big teams signing all the top players each summer.
'Cause chances are....we would be one of the 5-6 teams that'd be signing the top players....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:27 PM
schumway2

Wonder if he throws his hat into the Habs race. Or is it too late already?

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
well......we know he has the money lol

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
le_sean

Quote:
He's trying to own a team specifically to tap into the Southern Ontario market, so buying the Habs would be of no interest to him I assume.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Garo

Quote:
The owners would never agree.

My guess is that he's done.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:31 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's trying to own a team specifically to tap into the Southern Ontario market, so buying the Habs would be of no interest to him I assume.
Well it's 3 times he's tried and no luck. Maybe he gets pissed and decides owning the most storied franchise in hockey is the next best thing.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:46 PM
momotan

Personally, I don't know what his obsession is with southern Ontario. Hamilton is a dreary place to live, particularly in winter. There is nothing like staring at that smoke stack from the steel mill to keep you entertained. You know players will be putting in a no trade clause like they do for Edmonton. And your sworn enemies will be the Leafs, who will do everything they can to put you out of business. Every dirty trick in the book will be used. They are not just going to say "welcome, and thank you for infringing on our territory" despite what damage fee you pay them. If he really wants a team, just buy one properly like everyone else. There is a pretty good money maker right here in MTL, a bargain at 500 million, sworn enemy of the Leafs to boot.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Pat

lil' Gary must be so happy

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

Bettman's job is to posture that they stay in Phoenix until he can get tranfer money and get board approval for a move. If you just let NHL teams move around on a whim it would turn into a circus. I honestly thought hockey fans were smarter than that...

You overestimated a lot of them.

The NHL is at it's top in popularity and it finally looks like a legitimate balanced league (post-lockout), yet people whine because Canada doesn't get handed franchises because somebody offers to buy a team only to move it there.

I don't get the Bettman hate.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

I don't care really.If rich people want to keep throwing money into a money pit just let them.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:31 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Bettman
I feel this way too!
Got to give it to Bettman, he pulled something out of his hat. What that is,it's a matter of opinion.
Next time....maybe

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post

You overestimated a lot of them.

The NHL is at it's top in popularity and it finally looks like a legitimate balanced league (post-lockout), yet people whine because Canada doesn't get handed franchises because somebody offers to buy a team only to move it there.

I don't get the Bettman hate.
2 things about your post:

1) As popular as the NHL would have you believe it is...its games are still being broadcast nationally across the US on the Outdoor Life Network. Until it has a major TV deal in place, it will never have the air of legitimacy that it did back in the 80s and early 90s.

2) Somebody buying a franchise in order to move it to Canada isn't "being handed a franchise"...its how free markets normally operate. Unfortunately for Ballsilie and the good people of Hamilton, that's not how the NHL works, as it can dictate how its franchises operate to a certain degree. There's a reason the NHL will be hit with an anti-trust lawsuit very shortly, and while you can argue till your blue in the face whether a team in Hamilton is a good thing or not, a willing purchaser of a bankrupt team wanting to move it where he pleases would be acceptable in any other walk of life.

I personally dislike Bettman because of his desire to expand the game into markets that have no business having hockey, only to spin and sabotage any attempt to remove said teams. I won't get into the things he's changed about the game that have upset me (can't blame him for everything I suppose) but trying to turn the NHL into the NBA on skates has been his opus, and a huge failure IMO.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post

1) As popular as the NHL would have you believe it is...its games are still being broadcast nationally across the US on the Outdoor Life Network. Until it has a major TV deal in place, it will never have the air of legitimacy that it did back in the 80s and early 90s.

2) Somebody buying a franchise in order to move it to Canada isn't "being handed a franchise"...its how free markets normally operate. Unfortunately for Ballsilie and the good people of Hamilton, that's not how the NHL works, as it can dictate how its franchises operate to a certain degree. There's a reason the NHL will be hit with an anti-trust lawsuit very shortly, and while you can argue till your blue in the face whether a team in Hamilton is a good thing or not, a willing purchaser of a bankrupt team wanting to move it where he pleases would be acceptable in any other walk of life.

I personally dislike Bettman because of his desire to expand the game into markets that have no business having hockey, only to spin and sabotage any attempt to remove said teams. I won't get into the things he's changed about the game that have upset me (can't blame him for everything I suppose) but trying to turn the NHL into the NBA on skates has been his opus, and a huge failure IMO.
It IS being handed a franchise if a guy basically just comes in and says ''I'll move it to Canada'' without the league having a strong, regulated approach to market movement.

I couldn't care less if the guy bought the team legit and went through the whole process. But he didn't. Yet people whine about how Canada didn't get another franchise because of 'Grinch' Bettman. There's no logic whatsoever to the point. They just whine and bring out insults. Period.

As for those teams being in markets they shouldn't be. I disagree. Weird markets have built a strong fanbase because they won (Dallas, Anaheim, San Jose, Tampa Bay [they had better attendance before 07-08], Carolina). Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus (which had a relatively strong fanbase until recently), Florida and Phoenix don't get a lot of people in the stands because they just don't win. Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver had the same problems. But they were in 'traditionnal hockey markets'.

It's unfair to judge a market based on a long period of losing. Phoenix, Nashville and such will attract a larger audience once they finally turn the corner.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:57 PM
otto bond

Quote:

We you there behind close door in the scene? I though so.
Some good has been done to the league. i don't know if it was just me or because I was a Hab fan but the mid 90s up until 2006, hockey sucked, well the Habs did
Also, I like the atmosphere they bring in a NBA game. I have been to a few and it was always fun. Hockey is different but it's getter better marketing. Now it's all mostly cheesy but ah well....still better. The game is fast, lots of big hits nice goals and some....cough , cough some fights.

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:42 PM
habs101

Quote:

+1 It is very nice to see that there are intelligent hockey fans out there, I couldn't of said it better myself.

habs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:51 PM
habs101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
It IS being handed a franchise if a guy basically just comes in and says ''I'll move it to Canada'' without the league having a strong, regulated approach to market movement.

I couldn't care less if the guy bought the team legit and went through the whole process. But he didn't. Yet people whine about how Canada didn't get another franchise because of 'Grinch' Bettman. There's no logic whatsoever to the point. They just whine and bring out insults. Period.

As for those teams being in markets they shouldn't be. I disagree. Weird markets have built a strong fanbase because they won (Dallas, Anaheim, San Jose, Tampa Bay [they had better attendance before 07-08], Carolina). Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus (which had a relatively strong fanbase until recently), Florida and Phoenix don't get a lot of people in the stands because they just don't win. Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver had the same problems. But they were in 'traditionnal hockey markets'.

It's unfair to judge a market based on a long period of losing. Phoenix, Nashville and such will attract a larger audience once they finally turn the corner.
If losing $300 million dollars since they moved from Winnipeg doesn't prove they are not a viable market, then I don't know what proof you are looking for. You talk about Tampa, Atlanta, etc... do these franchises make money???? Have they made money??? That is the bottom line. The NHL in these markets don't have the corporate support needed to survive, like the other major sports have in these markets. Bettman is not a stupid individual, but he does have a hidden agenda, and I don't know if he is truly representing all the owners, I would love to see the owners vote on this situation, but you can be sure Bettman will not make it get to that point, he will use his traditional gag order to keep his non supporters quiet. Total disgrace!

habs101 is offline   Reply With Quote