HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

list of possible Heatley destinations

Old
06-15-2009, 08:26 PM
aaaaaaassssssssd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Cents View Post
Maybe not a full-fledged bidding war but there is something.

Neither Gaborik nor Hossa have scored 50 goals in their career, let alone in back to back seasons.

Needless to say, you can't discount what Heatley's done stats-wise in the past and that's what will make him more valuable than some UFAs. There are teams that are willing to take on some attitude in exchange for 40-50 goals.
Taking on 7.5mil for one player when the cap will be going down is just stupid.

Giving up assets for him before looking into UFA's is stupid.

I'd rather save some cap space and assets and take a guy that might score 10 less goals.

But good luck to the Sens in their quest to get rid of this POS.

aaaaaaassssssssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Pinkfloyd

I sincerely doubt that Patrick Marleau will waive his no-trade clause to go to Ottawa just after having a baby in late April. However, if by chance that he did, the Sharks would not want to give up much more than him except maybe a pick and/or dump from their perspective like Cheechoo or a 3rd rounder.

Patrick Marleau is a better all-around player than Dany Heatley. Heatley is definitely a better goal scorer and offensive player but Marleau is a lot more polished in his defensive game. Seeing as the two are only 16 months apart in age, I don't see Heatley getting anywhere near Marleau's level of defensive play.

Marleau's a good faceoff guy, played the top PK on the 5th best PK team in the league and scored 38 goals in 76 games. There's no doubt that Heatley is a notch or two above Marleau offensively but it's also crystal clear that Heatley's advantage offensively is equaled by Marleau's defensive game, for those that have seen both consistently.

I can understand why Ottawa would want to push for a trade to happen before the July 1 bonus is paid out but if you think Marleau is going to leave after one season, then it'd be best for Ottawa to either trade for other things like Michalek and Clowe or gamble on him prior then talk extension after July 1 or trade elsewhere.

I understand that the contract length of Heatley gives Sens' fans the thought that he has more value but you're also the same team that's trying to deal him before a 4 mil bonus kicks in so you're either going to cling to that value and pay him the bonus or take what you can get so that isn't paid out of your pocket.

I believe if Ottawa can get Marleau straight up for Heatley, they would take it as would the Sharks. I don't think Ottawa's going to get that kind of deal from anywhere though.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
19Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
I don't think you're going to convince anyone that a healthy Gaborik is worse than Heatley. Heatley was absolutely blessed to be playing with 2 super star line mates in his back to back 50 goal seasons, give me a single player on the level of Spezza and Aflreddson that Gaborik has played a full season with.

As to the second point, you also can't dismiss the fact he just up and asked to be out of ottawa 1 year into his 6 year deal and he is coming off his worst season since his rookie season.
I'm not discounting Gaborik in the least. He may be better than Heatley but like you said he's never played with anybody. But then again...Ovechkin didn't play with anybody in his rookie season and still managed 106 pts. Great players make the guys around them better.

And as to my second point, if his 2nd worst season in his career gets him 2nd overall in scoring on the league's best regular season team this year...I'd take him in a heartbeat.

P.S. For anyone who thinks Heatley's little stunts will get less for him, 2 words: Alexei Yashin.

19Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:45 PM
19Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight View Post
Taking on 7.5mil for one player when the cap will be going down is just stupid.

Giving up assets for him before looking into UFA's is stupid.

I'd rather save some cap space and assets and take a guy that might score 10 less goals.

But good luck to the Sens in their quest to get rid of this POS.
Then why would you sign Hossa or Gaborik? They'll easily cost $7.5M AND you're not making cap room by giving up other players as you would in a trade.

When you're looking into acquiring good players you will be taking a cap hit, no matter what.

19Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Probably. I admit I probably took that post the wrong way. I'm going to go ahead and delete that post because it wasn't really necessary.
You should post the same thing after this

Quote:
Wtf? Major logic fail right there. 3.14 and 3.14159 are pretty much equal. Pretty much equal means the differences between them are negligible.

The reason they are given the label 1a and 1b is to show that they're pretty much equal and that I didn't typo 1, 2 and 3.
lay off the coffee or go get a hooker.

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:07 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

lay off the coffee or go get a hooker.
lols, nerd rage.

You tried to claim there's no such thing as "pretty much equal" and I gave you a solid example of where two things can be pretty much equal.

Durrrrrrr

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote