HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Nhl

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-10-2004, 08:34 PM
  #1
hunter1909*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
My Nhl

My Nhl: Oilers /kings /flames /canucks....wild /blues /wings/ Hawks...leafs/ Habs/ Sens/ Bruins...ny Rangers/ Ny Isles/ Nj Devs/ Flyers...


All Teams To Play In 4 Team Divisions 8x Each...and 4x Each With Other Divisions = 72 Game Schedule...


All The Other Teams Booted Out...no More Fighting Restrictions Whatsoever Just Like The 1960s


Last edited by hunter1909*: 10-10-2004 at 08:38 PM. Reason: TYPO
hunter1909* is offline  
Old
10-10-2004, 09:11 PM
  #2
J-D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the dizzle!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
I can see the idea behind less teams, but I really don't understand on what basis the Kings would still be here as opposed to the Avs, for example.

J-D is offline  
Old
10-11-2004, 02:05 AM
  #3
hunter1909*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
easy...

the LA kings have been around for a long time and deserve support...

denver on the other hand has never supported a losing team(the rockies)...and like dallas isnt much of a hockey city...

i just like the concept of a reasonably balanced schedule...with a lot more inter division rivalry...

otherwise just make it like european soccer and have eveyone play in 1 large conference

hunter1909* is offline  
Old
10-11-2004, 02:47 AM
  #4
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,713
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
best league :
Vancouver,Montreal,Toronto,Halifax,Quebec,Ottawa,E dmonton,Calgary,Quebec,Winnipeg
maybe more ...

Jeffrey is offline  
Old
10-11-2004, 05:05 AM
  #5
hunter1909*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
best league :
Vancouver,Montreal,Toronto,Halifax,Quebec,Ottawa,E dmonton,Calgary,Quebec,Winnipeg
maybe more ...
LOL well...

you pretty well have to account for the original 6 americans...and the few other markets that support the league like the isles

hunter1909* is offline  
Old
10-11-2004, 09:04 AM
  #6
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1909
My Nhl: Oilers /kings /flames /canucks....wild /blues /wings/ Hawks...leafs/ Habs/ Sens/ Bruins...ny Rangers/ Ny Isles/ Nj Devs/ Flyers...


All Teams To Play In 4 Team Divisions 8x Each...and 4x Each With Other Divisions = 72 Game Schedule...


All The Other Teams Booted Out...no More Fighting Restrictions Whatsoever Just Like The 1960s
Who makes the playoffs?

tritone is offline  
Old
10-11-2004, 09:58 AM
  #7
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,685
vCash: 500
My NHL:

Western Conference: current 30 NHL teams in 30 North American Cities, with approximately similar divisions and schedule shaved down to 70 or so games.

Eastern Conference: 30 European teams, featuring 6 divisions:
Russian Division: 5 teams
Finland Division: 5 teams
Sweden Division: 5 teams
Czech & Slovak Division: 5 teams
Germany, Austria & Switzerland: 5 teams
Odds'N'Ends: 5 teams (e.g. London/Bermingham, Copenhagen, Oslo, Paris, Milano, etc?)
Similar schedule and format to the West, no cross-over.

16 Playoff teams in the West per current Stanley Cup playoffs.
16 Playoff teams in the East with a similar playoff format

Eastern winner plays West for Stanley Cup.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
10-11-2004, 12:08 PM
  #8
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
My NHL:

Western Conference: current 30 NHL teams in 30 North American Cities, with approximately similar divisions and schedule shaved down to 70 or so games.

Eastern Conference: 30 European teams, featuring 6 divisions:
Russian Division: 5 teams
Finland Division: 5 teams
Sweden Division: 5 teams
Czech & Slovak Division: 5 teams
Germany, Austria & Switzerland: 5 teams
Odds'N'Ends: 5 teams (e.g. London/Bermingham, Copenhagen, Oslo, Paris, Milano, etc?)
Similar schedule and format to the West, no cross-over.

16 Playoff teams in the West per current Stanley Cup playoffs.
16 Playoff teams in the East with a similar playoff format

Eastern winner plays West for Stanley Cup.

No. Absolutely not . Why should Canadian and American teams be divided into 30 against whole countries from Europe? Even Russia being divided into 5 is still ridiculously unfair. What about trades? Would we be able to trade Patrice Brisebois to Russia ??? Players would all have "no trade" clauses for fear of being traded to the other side of the world. It makes no sense at all . Furthermore, who wants to be watching a stanley cup final game in Switzerland at 2pm Eastern time ??? And even more fun , two teams playing for the cup final that haven't played a regular season game against one another ? Yes Russia versus New Jersey, sounds fair to me

tritone is offline  
Old
10-11-2004, 12:19 PM
  #9
Brokencow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oakland
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
My NHL:

Western Conference: current 30 NHL teams in 30 North American Cities, with approximately similar divisions and schedule shaved down to 70 or so games.

Eastern Conference: 30 European teams

Eastern winner plays West for Stanley Cup.
First off, sorry to cut your comment out of context.

Second, I've thought about something similiar to this, but it just doesn't seem to work. That would be 60 teams and with the talent pool as it is right now, it wouldn't work. People already complain that the talent level as being low even with europe's best players coming to north america. If these players from europe decided to stay in europe (for probably less money then they'd make in N/A) the talent pool would get even worse overall. In theory this would make more boring hockey, but who can really tell.

other notes: the playoffs would last longer then the reg season, you'd have to change the format to something different.

Would make for a reallllly interesting draft.

I have actually thought of a variation of this idea where its 14-16 teams in the "north america / euro" division. I can never think of enough teams to eliminate from the NHL though, I'd feel too guilty to tell a city like.. nashville.. that they can't have a team just because hockey doesn't work there. Their team is just getting talented, and they do have a growing fanbase (it's only been a couple years). It just seems kinda unfair to me. Meanwhile chicago has no support, no bankroll, rolls a horrible team out on the ice constantly and everyone says they stay because they are an original six? Who knows.

Also we'd have to eliminate interleague play probably, since with jet lag and time difference it would be unfair to send a team across the ocean. Teams would have to take multiple days to adjust, maybe even a week.

Another thing would be language barriers. Of course players from europe and russia can come to N/A because most of them have had some contact with the english language. (not everyone, and i know learning a new language is hard) Can you imagine every single N/A kid that goes to the euro league having to learn an entirely new language? I don't know about the canadians, but here in america it seems the only 2 choices you really get in schools for language classes are spanish, and occasionally a french class. Maybe german if you are lucky.

Heh, anyways, sorry to go on this huge rant, you just brought up an idea i've thought about for awhile. Of course if the NHL can't get its stuff together in North America right now, it obviously would never be able to put together something this complicated.


So theres the rant, disect it all ya want. Sorry for the spelling errors

Brokencow is offline  
Old
10-11-2004, 12:38 PM
  #10
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
No. Absolutely not . Why should Canadian and American teams be divided into 30 against whole countries from Europe? Even Russia being divided into 5 is still ridiculously unfair. What about trades? Would we be able to trade Patrice Brisebois to Russia ???
Huh? No, any team can have any player of any nationality. Same kind of draft and free agency rules as for the current NHL, just extended over 60 franchises. It doesn't matter whether they're in Russia, USA, Canada, or East Timor.
Quote:
Players would all have "no trade" clauses for fear of being traded to the other side of the world.
If they want to, fine.
Quote:
It makes no sense at all . Furthermore, who wants to be watching a stanley cup final game in Switzerland at 2pm Eastern time ??? And even more fun , two teams playing for the cup final that haven't played a regular season game against one another ? Yes Russia versus New Jersey, sounds fair to me
I'd watch it, at any time. And that would be Moscow against New Jersey. Boring, trap, game, but I'd still watch it. In fact, for the playoffs leading up to the final, it would be great, 'cuz you'd get to watch the Eastern Conference games all day, then ready for the HNIC double-headers at night. More hockey = good.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
10-11-2004, 12:50 PM
  #11
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokencow
First off, sorry to cut your comment out of context.
Second, I've thought about something similiar to this, but it just doesn't seem to work. That would be 60 teams and with the talent pool as it is right now, it wouldn't work. People already complain that the talent level as being low even with europe's best players coming to north america. If these players from europe decided to stay in europe (for probably less money then they'd make in N/A) the talent pool would get even worse overall. In theory this would make more boring hockey, but who can really tell.
Bah, the whole talent pool thing is just elitist whining. I can watch an AHL game and thoroughly enjoy it. I can watch a junior game, and thoroughly enjoy it. And I don't exactly see Sundstrom tearing it up yet for the Milano Vipers. There isn't much (if anything) that separates the current 3rd and 4th liners from the rest of the hockey playing world. So it wouldn't be that dramatic a dilution to take it a step further. We're past that threshold already, IMO.
Quote:
other notes: the playoffs would last longer then the reg season, you'd have to change the format to something different.
Huh? I don't get this one. The Eastern and Western playoffs would be going concurrently. So the only difference in season length is the one extra final final series between Moscow and New Jersey. Two extra weeks. We've already cut the schedule down to 70 games, so that extra final final series is easily accomodated.
Quote:
Would make for a reallllly interesting draft.
Let's stop after 6 rounds. Again, per the talent pool question, teams are just picking names from the air in round 8 and 9, and easily as many just-as-good kids get left out as get picked in those hazy areas. No harm there. Plus you're building the popularity of the sport globally, so all those dolts who used to go play pro soccer are now signing up for hockey!!!
Quote:
I have actually thought of a variation of this idea where its 14-16 teams in the "north america / euro" division. I can never think of enough teams to eliminate from the NHL though, I'd feel too guilty to tell a city like.. nashville.. that they can't have a team just because hockey doesn't work there. Their team is just getting talented, and they do have a growing fanbase (it's only been a couple years). It just seems kinda unfair to me. Meanwhile chicago has no support, no bankroll, rolls a horrible team out on the ice constantly and everyone says they stay because they are an original six? Who knows.
That's why I say keep 'em all. If it comes down to it, reduce rosters before eliminating teams. So we have 9-forwards, 5-D, 2G, a 16-player roster would be fine too, for all the icetime that most 4th lines get these days. Put Jagr and Forsberg and Mario on the ice a bit more, and it'll help make up for the dilution. They can handle it.
Quote:
Also we'd have to eliminate interleague play probably, since with jet lag and time difference it would be unfair to send a team across the ocean. Teams would have to take multiple days to adjust, maybe even a week.
That was part of my original scenario.
Quote:
Another thing would be language barriers. Of course players from europe and russia can come to N/A because most of them have had some contact with the english language. (not everyone, and i know learning a new language is hard) Can you imagine every single N/A kid that goes to the euro league having to learn an entirely new language? I don't know about the canadians, but here in america it seems the only 2 choices you really get in schools for language classes are spanish, and occasionally a french class. Maybe german if you are lucky.
Look, if the kids outside N/A can handle it, then so can ours. Force feed them on some global awareness. It would do them some good.

Anyway, I know it's not even remotely practical, but as long as we're throwing clay pies into the sky, that's mine. Shoot it down if you like.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.