HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Power Skating Videos

Old
10-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Crosbyfan

vCash: 500
Power Skating Videos

My 8 year old is starting hockey and needs to improve his skating. Any recommendations?

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Gino 14

Open skates.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Open skates.
Thanks. Nothing beats icetime but I'm looking for something to maximise the effectiveness of the icetime.

Old
10-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Thanks. Nothing beats icetime but I'm looking for something to maximise the effectiveness of the icetime.
I hate to say it, but if your kid is only 8, give it a rest for a couple years. If you push too much, all you'll get is a kid that hates to skate. Let the little one enjoy it for a couple years.

Old
10-20-2006, 11:55 AM
BleedBruins

I like Laura Stamm's stuff, both book and video.

It all depends on the kid. Some want it early, others like to just play. I'd still get the book to give him a pointer or two here and there when he/if he asks.

BleedBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:17 PM
mac-sniper

nah push it now, if he backs off then let him do it as his own pace. i read pavel bures book, he used to make himself go to bed early so he could be fully rested...when he was SIX. i think you make yourself when you're young, not when you're older. i say push him HARD right now, then backoff if he doesnt like it. i think the age of eight is where most of your coordination comes into play. go to your rink and see if theres dead ice and ask if you can pay for an hour of just u and him, most places will charge u 10 bucks or let u on free even.

with that being said, www.perfectskater.com has some cool stuff.

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:20 PM
michaelb27

Basically just a lot of practice....a lot has been made about "powerskating", but the fact of the matter is skating speed is a matter of genetics and practice. A lot of powerskating coaches try to change a players stride, which is generally a bad thing to do. Everyone has their own unique stride because they have their own unique body type. What works for one player might not work for the other player. There's really no "right" or "perfect" technique stride. And obviously at 8 he doesn't need this. Parents seem to want to spend a fortune of travelling, powerskating lessons, private lessons and all this other stuff that doesn't really help. Just play and have fun at that age! The best way to become a better skater is to SKATE! Do windsprints and laps and crossovers around the rink...forget about lessons. Once he hits like 15 and if he's playing very competitive hockey(ie drafted into major junior), then he should start doing lunges, squats, plyometrics ect.

michaelb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
I hate to say it, but if your kid is only 8, give it a rest for a couple years. If you push too much, all you'll get is a kid that hates to skate. Let the little one enjoy it for a couple years.
Thanks. I didn't mean "maximise" too literally. He's the one pushing himself and asked to join hockey, but I know what you mean. I mainly wanted to give him a good foundation since he is very keen. My 10 year old enjoys skating also but this is not so much for him.

Unfortunately they are both Leaf fans but good kids otherwise.

Old
10-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't mean "maximise" too literally. He's the one pushing himself and asked to join hockey, but I know what you mean. I mainly wanted to give him a good foundation since he is very keen. My 10 year old enjoys skating also but this is not so much for him.

Unfortunately they are both Leaf fans but good kids otherwise.
I am coming from the point of view that if he is just starting to play, he has so much to try and digest, adding in the extra skating may just overload him right now. The open skates and the extra ice lets kids be kids and when they do, they race and try to outdo each other, exactly the type of skating that is very benificial to him and his hockey.

Old
10-20-2006, 11:01 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Power skating from an early age is what kept me able to play at higher levels.

I wasn't the fastest guy, but the technical proficiency gives you an edge that you can maintain on most guys for a long time. Its best when you start young, the bad habits don't come in that way. I would guess I got in around 9 or 10. They keep it fun anyway when it's on-ice.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 07:46 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Robby Glantz is good but once you go to one of his camps once and write down all the drills, they are pretty easy to do at public sessions. He has video's on his site RobbyGlantz.com but they are technical and not sure an 8 year old will gain much. 8 year olds (and pretty much everyone) needs to be doing not watching a video.

The key for that age is to make sure you have the basics of deep knee bend, inside foot forward on turns, wide base in tight crowded area's, etc. Then reinforce positivley and negatively throughout the public session. It's important to correct early. Anything can be corrected at older ages with hard work but it's a lot easier to start with proper technique now. My opinion is that getting 90% of the foundation of skating before the age of 10 is more important than having a 16 year old who works his butt of everyday on skating.

Another important aspect of skating is athletic ability. The better athletes are your better skaters when all things are equal (Ice time, coaching, etc) And athletes can be made to some extent. Footwork, soccer, basketball, tumbling, sprints, etc are all things that will improve dexterity, balance, agility, coordination. Soviet coach Tarasov agreed with Lloyd Percival that hockey ability (including skating) can be improved and taken to the next level with off ice training. Quick, agile feet in shoes transfer to Quick , agile feet on skates

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 08:50 AM
nic29+

Quote:
My 8 year old is starting hockey and needs to improve his skating. Any recommendations?
Try to find a power skating clinic around your area and put your son into it. My son is 9 and this is his 3rd year in power skating and he loves it. And he improves a lot every year.

nic29+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 09:43 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic29+ View Post
Try to find a power skating clinic around your area and put your son into it. My son is 9 and this is his 3rd year in power skating and he loves it. And he improves a lot every year.
I've heard and read on many occassions that both Niedermayer's did a ton of power skating camps when they were younger. I heard it was driven by their mom.
Last year an announcer during one the Duck games said that their mom saw so much more improvement in Rob and Scott's overall hockey ability after skating camps than the all-purpose camps they went to.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 12:13 PM
nic29+

I'll give you an example of the power skating my son is taking this weekend.

Yesterday the instructor taped the kids skating and today he had an off ice session and took the kids and showed them what they looked like on tape and showed them what they can do to improve their skating. It was really interesting for the kids to see what they look like and to see how to improve. I never seen my son pay more attention to anything in his life as he did to the instructor today.

Then when he goes back in an hour they will work on what they seen.

nic29+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Jacob

I never did power skating but I went through a more technical training before I started playing.. It helped and it was more or less pretty light and fun. Principals I learned then helped me get back into playing after taking 4 years off.

I wouldn't be sending an 8 year old off to some camp in Minnesota or anything, but you might wanna check with some of your local rinks to see if they have any after school sessions for beginners.. I'd request ones that teach hockey skills in general and not just skating.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Crosbyfan

Thanks everyone. He seems to be improving quite fast. I coach him a bit, he tries and listens for a bit, loses interest in what I am saying but keeps skating, just messing around on the ice, then I see him trying something he learned, more often from a drill he learned from his hockey coach (fourth time on ice for hockey today) but sometimes something like the stop I showed him which he can barely do but yesterday he couldn't stop at all. It's fun for him right now, and interesting for me, as he is on a steep learning curve as most beginners are and because he is so keen.

Old
06-16-2009, 01:24 AM
TheGooooch

Instead of starting a new thread I decided to bump this one.

I am thinking of enrolling in a Robbie Glantz power skating class here in SJ. Is this something that can help a new skater (roller since I was 8 and ice for the last 4 months, I am 27)? Any ideas or tips would be very appreciated, thanks.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post

I am thinking of enrolling in a Robbie Glantz power skating class here in SJ. Is this something that can help a new skater (roller since I was 8 and ice for the last 4 months, I am 27)? Any ideas or tips would be very appreciated, thanks.
yea definitley. learning to skate the right way is essential. if you get into bad habits you wont be skating efficiently. definitely take a power skating lesson. take it as long as you can. skating is unbelievable important in hockey obviously. im thinking about taking one again just because i cant practice anytime. this way i will have ice and an instructor. the problem is that the guy i go to is 40 per half hour. expensive but the guy is amazing, i just can not afford to go until i get some money

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 01:33 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:

Yes. I was in a similar position, roller to ice that is. He pulled me to the side and went over every little detail (I was rounding out my stops, like on roller etc). It helps unbelievably well. Do it.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 01:01 PM
TheGooooch

Alright, I signed up for it. They aren't one on one but there is like a max 30 people or something. I definitely want to get my cardio up for it too.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 01:05 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Alright, I signed up for it. They aren't one on one but there is like a max 30 people or something. I definitely want to get my cardio up for it too.
If it's Robby, he'll pull you to the side at least once. If he sees something he'll grab you and correct it, and he doesn't give up too easily. They don't kill you with sprints, it's more of form and technique, but being in better shape won't hurt.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:35 AM
krax

Hi,
as a youth coach I bought Laura Stamm's and Robby Glantz's (Secrets of Speed Vol 1 and 2). My boy, 7 at that time, grabbed the DVDs and watched them for hours, even if he doesn't understand the language. We preferred Robby Glantz's DVDs. Better details, more fun to watch and some pretty amazing skaters.
Not sure if it improved his skating, but je had a good time watching them.
He also liked Bobby Hull Jr's "Shooting and Scoring".
k.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote