HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Very sore feet after skating

Old
06-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Lososaurus

vCash: 500
Very sore feet after skating

After about half an hour to an hour of skating my feet are absolutely killing me.

I'm currently using Bauer One55's.

This is the third week of really skating on them with my weeks being an hour of pickup and 2 hours of public skate a week. I had done a few public skates before playing on them, but nothing too energetic.

After I'm done skating, I take off my skates and my feet are sore and feel swollen, like there is too much blood in my feet. Particularly sore spots are around the outside of ball of my foot and the front of the arch( hurt to touch ).

Are the skates still not broken in?( they were baked ) Or am I tying them to tight? Skating incorrectly? Skates just plain too small?

I'm really not sure what to do, thankyou for any advice.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 04:02 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Try insoles.... I get sore feet from my constant walking if I don;t have good ones.

Also, check how they are lacing around the ankle area, maybe looser with this pair?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 04:10 PM
blueberrydanish

I know personaly if I try and tighten my laces real tight around the middle of the tongue, hard to explain but around where it starts to curve upwards, I pretty much cut off the circulation to my foot and after 10 minutes it becomes very painful.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Lososaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
I know personaly if I try and tighten my laces real tight around the middle of the tongue, hard to explain but around where it starts to curve upwards, I pretty much cut off the circulation to my foot and after 10 minutes it becomes very painful.
I do tighten it down pretty well near the curve, maybe that's what's causing it. If that is the case then, where should I tighten the laces more and how tight should I make them? I don't like when the laces are loose enough for me to tilt my foot side-to-side( like you were trying to go on your edges using just your ankles ), so I tighten them up a bit.

Old
06-11-2009, 05:11 PM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
I do tighten it down pretty well near the curve, maybe that's what's causing it. If that is the case then, where should I tighten the laces more and how tight should I make them? I don't like when the laces are loose enough for me to tilt my foot side-to-side( like you were trying to go on your edges using just your ankles ), so I tighten them up a bit.
Yeah, that is a problem I used to have as well. I used to tighten them as tight as I could get them. I have started to tighten them, then loosen them off a little bit with my fingers. I always do the top 3 really tight though.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Sportacus
:)

vCash: 50
When I was younger, I had the same symptoms. It turned out that I was just using skates that were not wide enough for my feet. Once I got a new (used) pair of skates tat were a bit wider, and had a bit of give in the sides, everything was much better.

06-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Hockeyfan68

If you are certain your skates are fitted properly and that isn't the cause then the laces being too tight in a certain area would cause that. I think everyone may tighten their laces differently and you will get all kinds of advice so just pick and choose what pertains to you and how YOU tie your laces.

I like the ankle portion of the boot as tight as possible sometimes tightening them twice in the lockeroom before going on the ice as your feet warm up inside the boot and absorb what you did already for a tightening.

I like the arches not as tight and the first portion where the toes are kinda tight. With practice and routine you can usually get them poretty good to where you like them.

For about 10 years with my bauer Supreme 3000s in the late 80s through part of the 90s I would use two skate laces per skate. I laced the toe to the arches stopping half way up the eye holes and then started another set of laces for the ankle portion. I had the ankle portion extremely inhumanly tight and the lower portion kinda tight.

Something to think about anyway ... I tried it after seeing a photo opf ray Bourque's skates. he did it for like one season oir something. It worked for me until I bought new skates and then I did not have to do that.

Also keep in mind you still need to break your skates in even if they have been heat molded to your feet. heat molding cuts down on break in time but it does not make them fit your feet with no discomforts. Some people do not get them right until they heat them up 3 times or so.

Basically though your skates should not hurt your feet at all of they fit properly that much I can tell you with certainty.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:28 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Go to your nearest hockey store with your skates, and try them on with Superfeet. Pain like you described does not sound like normal 'break-in' pain.

Ideally, you want as little movement in the skate as possible. Once you've got movement (lots of it) you are asking for pain.

Superfeet instead of the stock insole should make a world of a difference. Essentially, it keeps your foot in it's intended position. They may take a few skate sessions to get used to, but they should be worth it in the long-run.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:57 PM
blueberrydanish

Well having them too tight is prob the first and easiest thing to check. I just tighten mine really tight basically in all the areas that dont put extreme pressure on the top arch of my foot. I have it decently tight but not as tight as possible to where I feel pressure around that area. For me it just cuts off the circulation it seems. Defanitly check it first skate for prob 15-30 mins(think thats about when I noticed it) and go loosen em. If you feel extremely better nearly instantly or within a minute or two thats prob it for ya. Hope it was somethin simple like that for ya.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:56 AM
10 ft. pole

Grafs

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Leave the tongue area pretty much loose and keep your ankle nice and tight, if that doesn't eliminate the problem, then your feet are more than likely too wide. Even if the skate isn't broken in, your feet won't be overly sore after skating, maybe a little sore, but after an hour, or so, it will go away.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
After about half an hour to an hour of skating my feet are absolutely killing me.
One of the main problems with pain in your feet is that the blood is not circulating throughout the foot. Even though you might think your feet has blood in them and they feel like they are swollen, the cause of pain is poor blood circulation.

So, to help reduce the pain, do not tighten up the first 5 eyelets starting from the toes upward. Then start with the six eyelet to pull on the strings to tighten up the area round the ankle.

Coincidently, the bottom eyelets will tighten up a little bit. However, the stings on the bottom 5 eyelets should be loose enought so that you can move the strings with your finger from toes to ankle.

Never use a skate hook to tighten up your skates. This is sure to cut off any blood to the toes. Once you cut off circulations to the ball of your foot, you will start to feel pain in the arch like there is no support.

Try the method above before you go out and buy foot support.

Head coach

06-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportacus View Post
When I was younger, I had the same symptoms. It turned out that I was just using skates that were not wide enough for my feet. Once I got a new (used) pair of skates tat were a bit wider, and had a bit of give in the sides, everything was much better.
the EXACT same thing happened to me when I was younger. I had Bauer skates and a very cheap pair of skates and almost gave up on playing altogether till I bought a pair of CCM tacks which were wider.

It really sounds like this is the issue because of the mentioned Bauer skates which are more narrow than other skates.

Gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 12:59 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

I'm here to vouch for Superfeet. I put off buying them for so long, 40 bucks just seemed so expensive for so little. I finally bit the bullet and used them for the first time last week. It was amazing! I knew my feet were sore before, but I didn't really realize how much discomfort I was in until it was gone! Well worth the money.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:41 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
You need a different skate. Those do not fit your foot. You'll need some skate that's wider in the forefoot. You need to go into a store to get fitted.

Different insoles won't help much with that kind of pain. What they may allow you to do is allow you to loosen up the forefoot since superfeet are a higher volume insole then most stock ones (Easton's are comparable, they use custom shockdoctor ones).

You're probably looking at new skates. Try Easton, CCM's U+ line, and RBKs, or possibly one of the new vapors in a wide width. The new ones are wider in the forefoot with the same narrow heel, a wide with in those should give you a similar heel and a wider forefoot then you have now. But try the insoles and lacing first, you may be able to fix it with that.

Good luck.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Lososaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
One of the main problems with pain in your feet is that the blood is not circulating throughout the foot. Even though you might think your feet has blood in them and they feel like they are swollen, the cause of pain is poor blood circulation.

So, to help reduce the pain, do not tighten up the first 5 eyelets starting from the toes upward. Then start with the six eyelet to pull on the strings to tighten up the area round the ankle.

Coincidently, the bottom eyelets will tighten up a little bit. However, the stings on the bottom 5 eyelets should be loose enought so that you can move the strings with your finger from toes to ankle.

Never use a skate hook to tighten up your skates. This is sure to cut off any blood to the toes. Once you cut off circulations to the ball of your foot, you will start to feel pain in the arch like there is no support.

Head coach
I'll give it a try tonight and let you guys know how it turns out. Thankyou all for all the input.

Old
06-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Lososaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post

Head coach
I think that worked. Skated last night, feel didn't hurt until I took the skates off( and even then, it wasn't nearly as bad as before ). Skated the full game with no problem. I just didn't lock down the laces as tight as I did before, just enough to be 'snug', but not tight. Tightened up the top 2 eyelets fairly good because I don't like my skate the wiggle or have wiggle-room.

Thanks!

Old
06-17-2009, 03:20 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Quote:
I think that worked. Skated last night, feel didn't hurt until I took the skates off( and even then, it wasn't nearly as bad as before ). Skated the full game with no problem. I just didn't lock down the laces as tight as I did before, just enough to be 'snug', but not tight. Tightened up the top 2 eyelets fairly good because I don't like my skate the wiggle or have wiggle-room.

Thanks!
I will have to try that myself! My feet have been bugging me too.

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Lososaurus

Is the only bottom of my foot hurting any indication of what the problem is? Around the outside of the foot, like behind the pinky toe all the way back to the middle of the arch of my foot. Skated last night and I didn't torque down my skates like I used to, but when I took my skates off, my right foot felt like it would explode.

Old
07-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Is the only bottom of my foot hurting any indication of what the problem is? Around the outside of the foot, like behind the pinky toe all the way back to the middle of the arch of my foot. Skated last night and I didn't torque down my skates like I used to, but when I took my skates off, my right foot felt like it would explode.
This is still an issue for you after a little over a month has gone by? Have you been playing often since your first post above? If so they should be broken in by now and we all assume you had them heat molded already as well.

Just wondering ...

I think CptJeff here already stated it .... these skates do not fit you and you need a wider skate. I really cannot think of anything else it could be either.

Like he said you need to get fitted in a store properly.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 09:11 PM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You need a different skate. Those do not fit your foot. You'll need some skate that's wider in the forefoot. You need to go into a store to get fitted.

Different insoles won't help much with that kind of pain. What they may allow you to do is allow you to loosen up the forefoot since superfeet are a higher volume insole then most stock ones (Easton's are comparable, they use custom shockdoctor ones).

You're probably looking at new skates. Try Easton, CCM's U+ line, and RBKs, or possibly one of the new vapors in a wide width. The new ones are wider in the forefoot with the same narrow heel, a wide with in those should give you a similar heel and a wider forefoot then you have now. But try the insoles and lacing first, you may be able to fix it with that.

Good luck.

Fit is so important. You should be fitted similarly to these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHQPYB2V3UY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr3hEuvDlLQ

I've heard so many guys, say they just got skates 2 sizes or 1 size down from their shoe size. Without getting properly measured.

Last edited by hkyplayer03: 07-23-2009 at 09:44 PM.
hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Lososaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
This is still an issue for you after a little over a month has gone by? Have you been playing often since your first post above? If so they should be broken in by now and we all assume you had them heat molded already as well.

Just wondering ...

I think CptJeff here already stated it .... these skates do not fit you and you need a wider skate. I really cannot think of anything else it could be either.

Like he said you need to get fitted in a store properly.
I might have to look into it... Is there a universal width measurement or is it different from company to company? I have the One55s in EE, so I think I might need them in ZZ.

Old
07-24-2009, 12:44 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Not sure if it helps, but if you are going to get new skates. While you try them on at the store. Try on one for each foot. If only your right foot was sore, maybe it is slightly larger.

I am around the fitting area for skates quite often and have noticed that some people, including one of my friends, needs a different size skate for each foot or he gets pain in one of his feet.

Just something to check. I talked to someone at a local sports shop and he said that quite a few people have one foot that is larger then the other. Because of this, they need one skate to be larger then the other one.

I am not sure if this is you case, but it is a possibility if only your right foot is sore after your game/skate

cody275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 12:51 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

If you have one or two problematic areas, especially if it only exists on one foot, you can bake the boot and stretch out that specific area by hand. I've had to do this because of problems with one foot, asymmetry stinks!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Quicktimer

Are you using waxed laces?

Quicktimer is offline   Reply With Quote