HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Ethan Werek vs Matt Duchene

Old
06-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Ethan Werek vs Matt Duchene

I don't mean to offend anyone here, I know a lot of people think very highly of Matt Duchene and I have nothing against it either. What I'm interested to know is how far behind Ethan Werek is compared to Duchene? Duchene may have a more ready body for the NHL and was an important player on a good team, but outside of that, how far is Werek? Also, is there a great difference in physicality between the 2? Or is Matt Duchene more intelligent on the ice and doesn't have to take as many penalties as Werek.

Last edited by Mathletic: 06-13-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 04:21 PM
araisarena

Ethan Werek is very underrated and imo will be one of the steals of the draft, he not a big guy but can play an allaround game if he works on his defensive game and i can see him being a Matt Stajan type player

araisarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by araisarena View Post
Ethan Werek is very underrated and imo will be one of the steals of the draft, he not a big guy but can play an allaround game if he works on his defensive game and i can see him being a Matt Stajan type player
interesting comparison, may not be the sexiest pick of all but certainly one who can help a team to win games

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

I think Werek has a lot more bite to his game than Stajan does. I think he'll be a great two-way third line center, or a good second-line center with character and leadership. His game really started to improve in the latter half of the season, and if he continues that course of develoment, he'll be one of the better forwards drafted this year.

A solid pick in the bottom of the first; if he lasts until the second, he's a steal.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

I just think Duchene is a notch or two better offensively than Werek. I think Duchene could be a PPG guy, while Werek could be a 50-65 point guy depending on his linemates. I would agree that they play a similar style game, just Duchene is slightly better player across the board when it comes to skills.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:16 PM
araisarena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
I think Werek has a lot more bite to his game than Stajan does. I think he'll be a great two-way third line center, or a good second-line center with character and leadership. His game really started to improve in the latter half of the season, and if he continues that course of develoment, he'll be one of the better forwards drafted this year.

A solid pick in the bottom of the first; if he lasts until the second, he's a steal.
Werek could have the Hickey effect, as in if a team is interested he could go as high as late teens, I could see the leafs moving up in the second round to select him. hes a great character player, but ur right that he does have a lot more bite then stajan, but i think he'll be the 2nd or 3rd center who kills penalties cus his defense is comin along and second pp time.
Solid player

Old
06-13-2009, 05:34 PM
babybruin

Im interested to see how Werek pans out in the NHL. THN was saying once Gilmour came to Kingston, his game really started to turn around

babybruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:42 PM
araisarena

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybruin View Post
Im interested to see how Werek pans out in the NHL. THN was saying once Gilmour came to Kingston, his game really started to turn around
Douggie is really good at developing his players this year, to be a winner the players have to play like winners

Old
06-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Here's the latest on Werek, just posted yesterday.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/Article.php?ArtID=274880

Obviously, Duchene has the significantly higher skill level and upside at this point, but Werek looks to be a project player who could develop into a real player down the road.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDismyhero View Post
I just think Duchene is a notch or two better offensively than Werek. I think Duchene could be a PPG guy, while Werek could be a 50-65 point guy depending on his linemates. I would agree that they play a similar style game, just Duchene is slightly better player across the board when it comes to skills.
Exactly the way I see it. Duchene is just a couple notches better, the only place they may be around equal is the defensive aspect.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Here's the latest on Werek, just posted yesterday.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/Article.php?ArtID=274880

Obviously, Duchene has the significantly higher skill level and upside at this point, but Werek looks to be a project player who could develop into a real player down the road.
Nice work, Kirk.

Hey, that rhymed.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Harry Kakalovich

I haven't seen it mentioned (sorry if I missed it) but Duchene is quite a faster skater than Werek, and I think that is a large part of the difference between these two, and why, really they are not in the same class of prospect. But I like Werek as well and think he will make a solid NHLer.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:12 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

From what I've seen Werek has typically played center, but I found him to be listed as a winger in a lot of profiles and scouting reports. Can he play both? Is he just way more effective in the middle?

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 01:33 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybruin View Post
This is true. Living in Kingston for eight months of the year I got to take in quite a few Frontenacs games and Werek's improvement in his game from the beginning of the year to when Gilmour took over and throughout the latter-half of the season was tremendous. He started being a lot more assertive and was more effective at using his teammates. The Fronts still didn't win a lot of games but Werek's improved play was a big reason why they were at least more competitive in most games. He was one of the keys in a win over London late in the season.

He doesn't have the upper-tier ceiling that Duchene does, but he could be one of those great complimentary players. When I watch him play I see a lot of Scott Mellanby in him for some reason. They're both similar sizes and I think that stylistically he's similar to how Scotty played. A good skater that can contribute on offence and provide some leadership. Werek won't be the best forward in the draft obviously, but he's someone that will find a role and be a valuable supporting member to any winning team.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 01:52 PM
BATJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
This is true. Living in Kingston for eight months of the year I got to take in quite a few Frontenacs games and Werek's improvement in his game from the beginning of the year to when Gilmour took over and throughout the latter-half of the season was tremendous. He started being a lot more assertive and was more effective at using his teammates. The Fronts still didn't win a lot of games but Werek's improved play was a big reason why they were at least more competitive in most games. He was one of the keys in a win over London late in the season.

He doesn't have the upper-tier ceiling that Duchene does, but he could be one of those great complimentary players. When I watch him play I see a lot of Scott Mellanby in him for some reason. They're both similar sizes and I think that stylistically he's similar to how Scotty played. A good skater that can contribute on offence and provide some leadership. Werek won't be the best forward in the draft obviously, but he's someone that will find a role and be a valuable supporting member to any winning team.
Sounds like he'd be on top of Gillis' list.

Wonder if the Canucks trade down to grab him

BATJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 02:04 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
From what I've seen Werek has typically played center, but I found him to be listed as a winger in a lot of profiles and scouting reports. Can he play both? Is he just way more effective in the middle?
I think I read that Gilmour moved him to the wing, which is when his play really started to improve.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 04:28 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I think I read that Gilmour moved him to the wing, which is when his play really started to improve.
Cool...thanks. I have him pegged as a guy the Pens might take with the 30th if he's still on the board and lord knows we have enough centers.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote