HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Alex Rigsby: A New Pioneer for Women’s Hockey?

Old
05-15-2009, 11:58 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Looked for it but all I could find was this interview of Demers talking about Rheaume (at 52 second mark) but nothing negative. (YouTube Interview)

Care to share?

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
Everytime a female goalie is mentioned I cant help but snicker a bit at the comment Jaques Demeres made about Manon Rheaume.

Anybody else remember it, made the headlines back in the day.
I don't remember that, what was said?

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Passchendaele

Great, more opponents will be looking to score five-hole.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:43 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Just did a Q&A with her about her prospects for playing in the USHL, Wisconsin Badgers and USA Hockey in the Olympics.

Old
06-11-2009, 03:48 PM
noobman

Don't women have naturally stronger leg muscles?

I figure that with the proper training a female skater could keep up with the best of them.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:52 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Don't women have naturally stronger leg muscles?

I figure that with the proper training a female skater could keep up with the best of them.

Women probably have stonger(proportionatly) pelvic muscles,but wider pelvic width is not an asset for speed, also all the training in the world is not going to make up size, overall mass, and testosterone.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 04:01 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Plus with goalies it seems like the best are 'generally' at least 6'.

As voted on HFboards:
1st Overall - Roberto Luongo - 6'3"
2nd Overall - Henrik Lundqvist - 6'1"
3rd Overall - Martin Brodeur - 6'2"
4th Overall - Miikka Kiprusoff - 6'1"
5th Overall - Evgeni Nabakov - 6'0"
6th Overall - Rick DiPietro - 6'1"

Old
06-11-2009, 04:40 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Women probably have stonger(proportionatly) pelvic muscles,but wider pelvic width is not an asset for speed, also all the training in the world is not going to make up size, overall mass, and testosterone.
Having a stronger upper body isn't going to help you skate faster.

With proper training, women can have similar leg strength as men. Women's speed skating world records are just slightly behind the men's. For 500m, the record is 34.03 secs for men and 37.02 secs for women.

Women also tend to be far more flexible then men in their legs and pelvis. Flexibility in the hip flexors is important for getting the best range of motion when skating and for goaltenders able to do a butterfly style.

Most guys when they hit puberty lose their flexibility, and building up bulky quads and hamstrings further reduce flexibility in the hips and lengths. Unless guys do a lot of stretching and yoga, they're not going to have the flexibility most women have naturally.

So, I'd say a female player could be just as fast as male players.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post

With proper training, women can have similar leg strength as men. Women's speed skating world records are just slightly behind the men's. For 500m, the record is 34.03 secs for men and 37.02 secs for women.
Women also tend to be far more flexible then men in their legs and pelvis. Flexibility in the hip flexors is important for getting the best range of motion when skating and for goaltenders able to do a butterfly style.

Most guys when they hit puberty lose their flexibility, and building up bulky quads and hamstrings further reduce flexibility in the hips and lengths. Unless guys do a lot of stretching and yoga, they're not going to have the flexibility most women have naturally.

So, I'd say a female player could be just as fast as male players.
Are you serious? 3 seconds is a huge difference. In the time it takes the women to reach the finish line, the men would be another 50 meters ahead. I'm not sure if that women's world record would even place at most junior age speed skating competitions.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:59 PM
the_speedster

she's got a hell of a way to go to match shannon szabados.... there's a girl I now could play pro hockey, consistently, on some level

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Quote:
Shannon Szabados (born August 6, 1986 in Edmonton, Alberta) is an ice hockey player for the Canadian national women's hockey team. In 2002, at the age of 16, she became the first female to play in the Western Hockey League. After playing in two exhibition games for the Tri-City Americans, she made WHL history on September 22, when she played 20 seconds of a regular season game.[1] She spent the majority of her junior career in the Alberta Junior Hockey League, most recently with the Fort Saskatchewan Traders. Szabados led the Traders to the top record in the AJHL and came within a game of winning the AJHL championship against the Camrose Kodiaks. She was awarded the AJHL's Top Goaltender Award for her efforts.

Szabados made her debut with the Canadian national women's team in 2006, when she helped Canada to a gold medal at the 2006 4 Nations Cup in Kitchener, Ontario. Szabados posted a 3–0 shutout against the United States in the opening game.[2] She finished as the tournament's top goaltender with a GAA of 0.50 while sharing netminding duties with Kim St-Pierre. Szabados currently plays for the Grant MacEwan Griffins men's hockey team [3] in the ACAC (Alberta Colleges Athletics Conference).
Rigsby is still quite young so I guess we can compare them in a few years.

Old
06-12-2009, 01:08 PM
bruinsfan31

i wish her the best of luck in her career hopefully she makes it

bruinsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Having a better range of motion isn't going to help enough if you don't have the pure muscle strength to generate speed. Being fast requires very very strong leg muscles. You don't get to be fast by not lifting lots of weights.

And men are still stronger in the legs (though it's also harder to compare when you're looking across weight classes, etc etc)

Quote:
Depends on what you're defining as upper body. Having a strong core (a well used phrase) is essential to playing a sport like hockey, and again, men are going to be stronger in that area. And you do generate some momentum with your upper body, though I'm more familiar with it in terms of sprinting than skating (just never really thought about it much in terms of skating, but having a strong upper body is definitely good for sprinting)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 04:25 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Update from Alex via Steel Camp: So far I have made it past the first two rounds.

Old
06-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

I have a friend who is a Chicago Steel fan, and is at their tryout camp.

Rigsby made it thru the second round of cuts, and will participate in the "veterans camp" starting today. From what he said, she is holding her own.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 05:13 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Having a better range of motion isn't going to help enough if you don't have the pure muscle strength to generate speed. Being fast requires very very strong leg muscles. You don't get to be fast by not lifting lots of weights.

And men are still stronger in the legs (though it's also harder to compare when you're looking across weight classes, etc etc)
To generate a long stride, you need flexibility in your hips. Maybe some guys can overcompensate with strength over bad technique, but it's something that definitely can benefit women.

This is a good article on the subject:

http://sparqtraining.com/features/20...ity-in-hockey/

I'm a martial artist, so I know first hand about how guys struggle with lack of flexibility. Not just from a high kicking standpoint, but also from being able to rotate their hips which allows one to generate power. Guys just can't naturally do that as well, and typically teenage boys don't like to do the kind of stretching that is required to keep their flexibility.

That also helps agility, since flat out speed can be helpful in hockey, but being able to move laterally around people is the most beneficial and be able to quickly accelerate.

In terms of leg strength, the difference between the amount of muscle women and men have in their legs is not as big as in the arms and chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

Depends on what you're defining as upper body. Having a strong core (a well used phrase) is essential to playing a sport like hockey, and again, men are going to be stronger in that area. And you do generate some momentum with your upper body, though I'm more familiar with it in terms of sprinting than skating (just never really thought about it much in terms of skating, but having a strong upper body is definitely good for sprinting)
Upper body strength in the arms and chest is the one area where women will never be as strong as men. But in skating, it's not all that beneficial. You need to be well-conditioned, but I'd think a lot of added bulk would weight you down more than add to your momentum. A lot of the very speedy hockey players are the smaller guys.

Having a strong core is important for skating, but that's an area that women can be fairly equal with guys. From my experience at my martial arts school, the women have an easier time with sit-ups and abdominal exercises then the guys.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 05:20 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Shannon Szabados. She's playing for Grant MacEwan College now.
I go there!

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Just got wind that Alex was cut by the Steel.

Old
06-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Louiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Charline Labonté of Team Canada played 28 games for Baie-Comeau in the QMJHL 9-10 years ago. She's 5'8 and weights 160 lbs.
wasnt Baie-Comeau it was the Acadie-Bathurst Titan and she was basically the 3rd stringer there

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:22 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
I hate posts like this. Why not include the quote for those who don't?
Im sorry, I fully intended to come back later the same day, but alas I am getting old and forgot.

Demers quote about Manon. (not exact, just as I remember it)

He said:

"I could never coach her"

somebody asked why

His response "I could never tell somebody like that to keep her legs together"

With a deep french accent of course.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 02:54 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Someone quoted my interview with Alex and put an interesting scientific spin on it:

Quote:
Even if you disregard the general height differences, the fact is that men are faster than women when it comes to leg speed. It comes down to knees and how they're put together. A man's hip socket is typically right above his knee joint, so a man's weight lies in directly on top of his knee from the hip. A woman's hip socket is outside of her knee joint, and because of that, her thigh bone comes into her knee at an angle. So while a woman's strength is typically in her lower body, that hip to knee angle makes running and skating a less efficient movement than it would be for a man.

I'm 5'9", and if I were to skate against a guy with the same leg length, the same leg strength, and the same amount of experience, he'd will almost every single time. It's simple biomechanics. And it's why you will rarely see any woman play against men at the same level in a position outside of the goal crease. This is also why women's hockey is slower than men's hockey. It's not because they're not as good, but because they're built differently.

Old
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
I've wondered why there aren't more female goaltenders - they'd be lighter weight and potentially just as fast as their male counterparts.
not even close dude. YOur way off. LOL.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
It's not because they're not as good, but because they're built differently.
Actually, it's both.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 04:38 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Some post Steel camp thoughts from Alex.