HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2009 Draft Discussion Thread

Old
06-12-2009, 04:50 PM
ukyo

vCash: 500
According to Red Line, Panik didn't have a very good WJCs. That coupled with his poor defensive game may have lowered his stock a bit, but he's drawn comparisons to a young Marian Hossa (who also had a poor defensive game when he was younger). He's a good high-risk/high-reward pick and IMO would be great value at 35th.

Interesting that the Kings are talking to Budish. From what I've read his potential is 1st round but he tore his ACL while playing football (he was a star fullback prospect as well). The worry is that he'll never be the same, but if he fully recovers Budish is potentially a power forward prospect on par with Kassian. I would think someone will take a chance on him late in the first, but if he did slip to 35th, I'd probably stay away because you can bet the other teams are passing on him because the they haven't heard what they want to hear about his recovery.

Another guy I'm reading about that is intriguing is Ben Hanowski, who recently broke the Minnesota HS point scoring record. He could be picked up in the 2nd or even 3rd. Other posters have done more justice to him than I would:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...6&postcount=15
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=211
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=224
and here's an article about him from NHL.com:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=421866

Take it for what it's worth, all of this is from Internet sleuthing rather than watching any of these kids play.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Joe Dokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
As a Coyotes fan, this post just kills me. We were just that close to picking in your spot. I have Schenn ranked fourth overall, and think he's the perfect fit for the Coyotes but I just know he's not getting past fifth. I also love Tatar, and he's exactly who I want with our second pick, but again, I just know he's not getting past thirty fifth. Why on earth did Viktor Tikhonov have to score that shoot-out game winner against the Ducks in the last game of the season?!?!?!?
Kyle Turris vs. Thomas Hickey. What goes around, comes around.

It scares me to think of passing on Schenn and then playing him all the time because he'll be in Phoenix.

Joe Dokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 01:48 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

They say you don't draft by need, but when the best player (likely) at your spot is where you need help, and is the hardest to fill, you take Schenn with the fifth overall, and worry about adding FA's later.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 02:30 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Schenn, Tatar, and Budish would be pretty excellent imo.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:54 PM
McSorley 33

Just wondering why some of you prefer Schenn over Kane, thoughts......

McSorley 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 09:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

2009 Draft Discussion Thread

Expect heavy trading from the LA Kings.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:28 PM
ru4reals

I have a good feeling our 5th overall will be traded in a deal. Dean has shown that he likes to wheel and deal at the draft. I honestly think we should keep this pick and pick the best player available. Tavares, Hedman, and Duchene wil be gone I think, so either Kane or Schenn will do.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
I am really not sure who I want more....

Kane
or
Schenn
or
MSP

can anyone tell me why one would be better than other??
This is my far-away analysis:

Kane - excellent physical specimen and had an awesome showing at the combine: probably will be able to play on the NHL level physically right away but doesn't have that much more upside than currently because he's already near the top; could put on another 20 pounds and be hard to stop; reminds me of Jordan Staal

Schenn - good combine, good genes: this is probably the player that fits DL's mold the best, if he's interested in being a King; however if he's drafted by the Kings, he will probably never be more talented than Kopitar; not known for being a playmaker in terms of passing but known more for his ability to create his own play with his toughness; his ability should translate decently to the NHL in terms of offense but defense is unknown; the description reminds me of Craig Conroy

MPS - didn't hear anything about him at the combine as far as exceptionally good or bad: has amazing skill but his game may not transfer as well to the NHL; his full potential could put him easily on the first line ahead of Frolov and his playmaking ability would work well with Kopitar and possibly Brown on the first line since they are both scorers; could be a full on bust if his skill doesn't translate well in the NHL, which is a risk; his description reminds me of maybe Rick Nash if he pans, which is a medium-sized 'if' where as Schenn the answer is a small 'if'

My pick, if the Kings have to keep this pick, is to take MPS because he's the only one who we would be drafting to play on the Kings if we can't move up. At his position, he could mess up and it won't be as bad as if he was a defenseman or center. He just happens to play the one position we need the most, left wing, and has exactly the traits we need, a highly skilled dynamic scorer, assuming he doesn't bust. If we take Kane, Schenn or Cowen, it's very likely we will wind up trading them in the near future for roster players. I also don't buy the "replace Hickey with Cowen" idea although if it was Teubert, I wouldn't mind that at all.

That's how I see it and I could be totally off as I said, the analysis is from far away. I wish Gare Joyce did another book for this year's draft.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Mathletic

no love for Schroeder?

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
no love for Schroeder?
If the Kings can't trade out to get a first line winger with #5 overall and then get an offer they can't refuse from Toronto, they could move down and take Schroeder with Toronto's pick...with Toronto taking Schenn of course to get him on the same team as older brother Luke.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 07:06 PM
VictoryRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
no love for Schroeder?

no.

I don't even have love for Tavares.

if I am drafting first overall, I take Duchene. Maybe Hedman, but I think Duchene will end up being one of the best players taken in this draft, and would be first overall if it wasnt for Tavares hype (and subsequent fatigue) (a load of scouts now will say he's a one trick pony, still has personality issues, and skating never improved) and a lot of people think Hedman is going to take a long, long time to develop.

I think Duchene will be the best out of the three. I could be wrong, just a simple projection.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:01 PM
aqsw
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Cowen and Doughty (WOW)

aqsw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 05:16 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Cowen and Doughty (WOW)
This has a good vibe to it. And we could have Poni too if we trade with Toronto.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 05:48 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
no.

I don't even have love for Tavares.

if I am drafting first overall, I take Duchene. Maybe Hedman, but I think Duchene will end up being one of the best players taken in this draft, and would be first overall if it wasnt for Tavares hype (and subsequent fatigue) (a load of scouts now will say he's a one trick pony, still has personality issues, and skating never improved) and a lot of people think Hedman is going to take a long, long time to develop.

I think Duchene will be the best out of the three. I could be wrong, just a simple projection.

get outta my mind, I couldn't have said it better on all points

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:10 AM
The Judge

2009 30 Draft Prospects Profiles

A more in depth look of this year's Top 30 prospects and 10 honorable mentions.

Got a link from TSN.ca not sure if this has been posted. Anways, thought that I'd pass it along. Happy Reading!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=281920

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:18 AM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33 View Post
Just wondering why some of you prefer Schenn over Kane, thoughts......
I don't. My concern with Schenn is his skating per TSN. If Kane, MSP and Duchene are gone I will be happy to trade down.

Old
06-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
I don't. My concern with Schenn is his skating per TSN. If Kane, MSP and Duchene are gone I will be happy to trade down.
I'd rather have a player with questionable skating who shows up every night over a great skater who shows up when he wants to. And what about Schenn's profile is there not to like? He is the complete hockey player (and his skating isn't an issue that negates his overall package).

From TSN:
Quote:
It is hard not to like the way Schenn approaches the game, with a combination of feistiness and willingness to stick his nose in where it does not belong. One would guess having to battle his older brother Luke in the backyard rink gave him a hard lesson in what it takes to win every night. His capacity to process information under duress is at an elite level and he thrives playing in traffic around the crease. He has the puck skills you want in a top end centre, as Schenn has shown his dedication to improve. Schenn can thread the needle in tight spaces and create time and space when he stickhandles into the offensive zone. Although he has not scored as many goals as some of his peers, Schenn is a sneaky scorer with good accuracy. Now his skating is considered average, but it will improve and he always hustles and gets to the right spot on the ice. His physical tenacity and ability to compete makes him tough to play against. He is solid on faceoffs and does a good job tying up his man in the defensive zone if he happens to lose. On the defensive side, Schenn is about a complete player as you find in this draft and his dedication to learning the nuances is impressive. He is very consistent when it comes to keeping his feet moving and having an active stick to disrupt passing lanes. You like the smart angles he takes on the back check and how he maintains good body position. He is a clutch performer that is the kind of character player you want in all situations - especially in the playoffs when it matters most.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 12:32 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'd rather have a player with questionable skating who shows up every night over a great skater who shows up when he wants to. And what about Schenn's profile is there not to like? He is the complete hockey player (and his skating isn't an issue that negates his overall package).

From TSN:
Defensively, I know he can do it. But I don't think his offensive upside is a lot compared to Scott Glennie or can he translate his offensive game to the NHL which at 5th overall I wouldn't risk my pick because I don't think he can.

Old
06-16-2009, 07:52 PM
deano

I wouldn't mind if Lombardi traded down to get picks in the second for this year and next. Guys like Kassian, Kreider, and Leblanc would be great pick ups in the first round. With Kreider and Leblanc, it would give us another year or two to sign them while they attend college. Kassian is tough as nails, is a great character kid, and has the size that Lombardi is looking for. Next years draft is going to have the star Russians Kabanov, Kuznetzov and Gailiev. The star Finn's Granlund and Pulkkinen, and well as all the top level Canadians and American's. Fowler, McFarland, Hishon, and Gudbranson to name a few for 2010. This draft has been exciting because of Tavares and Hedman, but next years should be better. The young 92's have been dominating the tournaments for the 91's if that's any indication. I would have no problem with DL trading down to pick up a unique player like Kassian while giving us a better chance at landing a better player next year.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
I wouldn't mind if Lombardi traded down to get picks in the second for this year and next. Guys like Kassian, Kreider, and Leblanc would be great pick ups in the first round. With Kreider and Leblanc, it would give us another year or two to sign them while they attend college. Kassian is tough as nails, is a great character kid, and has the size that Lombardi is looking for. Next years draft is going to have the star Russians Kabanov, Kuznetzov and Gailiev. The star Finn's Granlund and Pulkkinen, and well as all the top level Canadians and American's. Fowler, McFarland, Hishon, and Gudbranson to name a few for 2010. This draft has been exciting because of Tavares and Hedman, but next years should be better. The young 92's have been dominating the tournaments for the 91's if that's any indication. I would have no problem with DL trading down to pick up a unique player like Kassian while giving us a better chance at landing a better player next year.
If the Kings are ever going to be successful they need to worry more about what is happening in May (playoff hockey) than at the end of June (Entry Draft). The draft is fine and can be exciting....but if that is the only thing to be excited about as a Kings fan it is pretty pathetic. If the Kings are winning games like they should then they should not even be in a position to get one of the top prospects in next year's draft (because they will be drafting in the 15-30 range).

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:36 PM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
If the Kings are ever going to be successful they need to worry more about what is happening in May (playoff hockey) than at the end of June (Entry Draft). The draft is fine and can be exciting....but if that is the only thing to be excited about as a Kings fan it is pretty pathetic. If the Kings are winning games like they should then they should not even be in a position to get one of the top prospects in next year's draft (because they will be drafting in the 15-30 range).
I don't see it as only looking forward to the draft next year. I look at it as operating from a position of strength. If you can trade down and get a player you like, while picking up assets, why not. Next year is going to be another deep draft class that has probably more skill and talent in the forward corps than this years class. An extra second round pick or two could move you up the draft board or land you a player for the playoff push.

That being said, I'm fine with us trading the 5th overall if it gets us the right player. I'm not thrilled with the idea of getting Heatley because he comes with more baggage than I hope to see on this team. Lecavalier is great and a proven winner, so as long as Stoll or Handzus go the other way I'm fine with it. My statement is entirely based on if Lombardi kept the pick.

One thing for sure is that I have a ton of excitement and anxiety concerning what DL is going to do at the draft/July 1.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 07:14 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

suppose the projections about schenn being like richards is even somewhat accurate, does anyone doubt that DL values the #5 much, much more than Frolov, even with an extension?

but given the state of the team, and fan's expectations, DL may have to suck it up and give up the pick rather than a JJ + Frolov combo just to avoid giving up 2 roster players rather than one in a major trade....

perhaps, for this reason, DL would rather retain the pick and go for Gaborik....but would he really pass up a chance at Vinny/heatley for a prospect?

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 07:19 PM
ugotmybeef*

any idea which way your team will go with the 5th oveall?

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 0
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Probably half and half one whether we trade or keep it. Dean's order likely runs Kane, Schenn, Cowan, MSP in preference if we keep the pick.

"I think part of his game is he’s over aggressive at times, which I like. We’ll tame that. I’d rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 08:06 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
It's unlikely we move the pick unless it's a package deal for a big name player on draft night. Dean Lombardi will take Best Player Available at #5, either Kane/Schenn/MSP/Cowen.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote