HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gustavsson to visit 4 nhl teams. Philly not mentioned

Old
06-17-2009, 11:37 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

vCash: 500
Gustavsson to visit 4 nhl teams. Philly not mentioned

from the cbc...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...on-visits.html

Quote:
Swedish goalie Jonas Gustavsson is halfway through what is expected to be a tour of four NHL cities as he decides to make the jump to North America.

Gustavsson, 24, has played with Farjestad in the Swedish Elite League the past two season. The team won the league championship in April, and he went on to play for his country at the world championships the following month.

The netminder has visited Colorado and San Jose and is scheduled to be in Dallas on Wednesday. It is believed he will be visiting Toronto later in the week.

Colorado utilized former star and fellow Swede Peter Forsbeg in their pitch, according to the Denver Post.

Gustavsson has some sort of connection with each club. He is represented by Joe Resnick, who shares an agency with John Thornton, brother of San Jose star Joe Thornton.

The Dallas roster includes Fabian Brunnstrom, a former Farjestad teammate, while the Maple Leafs last week hired goaltending guru François Allaire, who has previously worked with Gustavsson.

Gustavsson went undrafted by the NHL and can be signed to a maximum salary of $875,000 US, not including bonuses.

Resnick has previously said that Gustavsson will take a few days to mull things over after his visit, with a decision possible before the June 26 draft.
i just keep thinking of billy shoes comment that pryor was clueless when he asked him at the town hall meeting about him

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:41 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
apparently they thought backlund deserved more attention. we'll see if their assessment was correct.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
That's the kids short list, it has nothing to do with the Flyers not being interested. This guy is no secret where he could simply just fly under the radar. I know Forsberg was really selling Colorado to him.

IMO, this kid is getting too much hype.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think people are jumping on the Gustavsson bandwagon way too quickly. I think the hype that's surrounding the guy is just completely off the chart right now and that when he does play, he might not be everything that he's being made out to be. I think this is one of those cases where it's best to stand back and let others make the mistake of believing the hype. This reminds me so much of the Fabian Brunnstrom hype last year. And you can bet that next season, there'll be another hotshot from the Swedish Elite League that everyone will clamour about and will create all kinds of hype for......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:54 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 1810
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Apparently the organization thought higher of Backlund than Gustavsson. I'm more and more thinking that Pryor was just playing dumb when I asked him that question, that he just wasn't allowed to say anything about him.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:58 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

he sounds like the Jiri Dopita of goaltenders to me.

guess we will see.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Apparently the organization thought higher of Backlund than Gustavsson. I'm more and more thinking that Pryor was just playing dumb when I asked him that question, that he just wasn't allowed to say anything about him.
Given the fact that they had a goalie scout specifically watching that league...they knew about him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think the hype that's surrounding the guy is just completely off the chart right now and that when he does play, he might not be everything that he's being made out to be. I think this is one of those cases where it's best to stand back and let others make the mistake of believing the hype.
At $875K (I believe his max deal), it will be tough for any team to make a mistake taking a chance on him, as long as they have another legit goalie in the fold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'm more and more thinking that Pryor was just playing dumb when I asked him that question, that he just wasn't allowed to say anything about him.
I thought all the Flyers folks at Town Hall were pretty frank about stuff. Billy, I might have been in the same session as you, as Pryor responded to the question with a "Who?" Considering all of the other questions getting real answers, I'm not sure why this kid gets a cover-up. At the same time, if Pryor really didn't have knowledge of him in late March, well ... Starbucks is hiring.
As for signing Gustavsson, the Flyers made their risk/reward move with Emery.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Get Carter

Eklund says it's down to 5 teams and we are one of them, FWIW.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:35 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
Eklund says it's down to 5 teams and we are one of them, FWIW.
LOL.
of course according to him we are getting Lecavalier too

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
At $875K (I believe his max deal), it will be tough for any team to make a mistake taking a chance on him, as long as they have another legit goalie in the fold.
He's a UFA, so it won't be 875K. Brunnstrom signed for 2.225M last year, and Blake Wheeler signed for 2.825M.

Old
06-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He's a UFA, so it won't be 875K. Brunnstrom signed for 2.225M last year, and Blake Wheeler signed for 2.825M.
He is required to take a 1 year ELC. Which that 875K would be around his base salary. Then the possible bonuses add to the cap hit.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:00 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
its 875k salary, not including bonuses.

Could still be upwards of 2 mil like Brunnstrom, and any other hyped rookie

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hamels View Post
He is required to take a 1 year ELC. Which that 875K would be around his base salary. Then the possible bonuses add to the cap hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
its 875k salary, not including bonuses.

Could still be upwards of 2 mil like Brunnstrom, and any other hyped rookie
This is true, but it's important to not present this as him signing for 875K...that's not necessarily what you're signing him up for, and therefore not the risk that you are taking...nor is it reflective of the salary cap implications.

Old
06-17-2009, 01:04 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
LOL.
of course according to him we are getting Lecavalier too
Quote:
yea i believe the .875 is the max contract you can give them, but then you are allowed to add bonuses

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:08 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
This is true, but it's important to not present this as him signing for 875K...that's not necessarily what you're signing him up for, and therefore not the risk that you are taking...nor is it reflective of the salary cap implications.
Yeah well the bonuses are what makes us not a good fit

Old
06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

HOLMGREN!!!!!!!

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING???????

You gotta be kidding me. Homer would rather have Esche over a promising young goaltender. Smart move by not even trying to make an offer.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:54 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:55 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
HOLMGREN!!!!!!!

You gotta be kidding me. Homer would rather have Esche over a promising young goaltender. Smart move by not even trying to make an offer.
for 1, you don't know that

and 2 we can't afford to have him at his 2+million cap hit he is going to want

Old
06-17-2009, 02:04 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

guess we will see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
count me in this camp

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:27 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

to be honest i dont have time to get into the prospects aspect like alot of people do. god knows i wish i could. i do tend to follow our system tho. putting my ignorance aside, i, like murphy7, wonder about the frankness of the town hall meeting only to wonder if 1) they truly didnt know about him and if tehy did know about him 2) why would they deny it as if some sort of coverup would benefit the flyers into signing him.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:50 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
HOLMGREN!!!!!!!

Have you ever heard of the word hype?

Theres plenty of cases on this site alone of hyped Euro's that NO ONE has seen play being not so great.

Unless you have seen him play and think he's the next Brodeur then i think you should calm down

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
to be honest i dont have time to get into the prospects aspect like alot of people do. god knows i wish i could. i do tend to follow our system tho. putting my ignorance aside, i, like murphy7, wonder about the frankness of the town hall meeting only to wonder if 1) they truly didnt know about him and if tehy did know about him 2) why would they deny it as if some sort of coverup would benefit the flyers into signing him.
1) this organization has a long history of being full of **** in their public statements.

2) what possible benefit comes from disclosing your assessment of an unsigned player?

while transparency would be nice as a fan, it can only cause problems for the team competing with other teams.

Old
06-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
count me in this camp

As long as this camp isn't on "Brokeback mountain," I'm in too. When I watch the kid's highlight packages two things jump out at me.

1. He never gives up on a play and seems extremely athletic( That's positive and I'll count it as one.)

2. When he moves laterally he spreads his legs like Madonna on a date with Dennis Rodman. I think NHL shooters will expose this but that's just based on opinion at the moment.

Once again...for anyone that thinks the Flyers didn't know who this guy was....fail.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

His major weakness is that he punches the rebounds right back out, and lots of them. He's not very good at smothering pucks, and his rebound control is not good.
He's reading the game good, has good size, good movement and agility, he's not quitting.

I do believe he's a bit hyped, but there's a good reason he is. I'd much rather have him than Backlund, I'll tell you that much.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote