HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal fans are abused puppies

Old
06-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
well what can you expect from a fan base that lashes out at their GM because he doesn't have enough players born in a certain area.
i was old enough to enjoy the '86 cup win, but not old enough to be following the medias take on the the team...

that year there were 8 quebec born players on the team (i guess you could add boisvert(8 games) and turcotte (2 games) to make it 10, though ).

last year there were 6 (7 if you count begin (42 games), 8 if you count Denis (1 game))...

was the media/fan base as critical of the "quebec content" in 86' as they were this year?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:45 AM
digger18

I cant beleive what I am reading.....Your team has won 24 Stanley Cups! I dont think anyone feels sorry for the winningest fan base in the history of the NHL.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
I cant beleive what I am reading.....Your team has won 24 Stanley Cups! I dont think anyone feels sorry for the winningest fan base in the history of the NHL.
How many of those were you alive for ? How many did you watch ? That's the probably with this fan base. Tons of people weren't even alive during the glory days of the habs and expect nothing but perfection. Hell, I was only alive for 1 and was 4.

On top of that, many people have never played ice hockey in an organized league, only on NHL 09 and they think they know everything.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Pedro McGuire*

we keep coming back cause its love man... we are definetly the most loyal fanbase of all 20 teams.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:53 AM
eric71*

Puppies? Yea right

eric71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:54 AM
digger18

I was alive to watch the Habs in 3 finals....Winning 2 cups.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:18 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
You sincerely think that Gainey will build a Stanley Cup contender for next season with UFAs? And who will be our core player in 3-4-5 years? Plekanec? Lapierre?

Our best option for next year is the re-sign all our current players, and I don't think that's even possible.
I don't have the slightest clue what the **** Gainey is going to do. All I know is that we have a few players under contract for next year at this point, so we'll have to see what happens. I have no clue who even wants to come back, so for all I know we could lose every single UFA on the club and we would likely suck.

Imo, if our young players don't get back on track, were are ****ed.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Maxpac

No kidding......

They managed to sell to you guys that Saku Koivu is worth a jersey retirement, talk about getting used to mediocrity..

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
No kidding......

They managed to sell to you guys that Saku Koivu is worth a jersey retirement, talk about getting used to mediocrity..
Koivu's getting his jersey retired? That's great to hear, good for him.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Koivu's getting his jersey retired? That's great to hear, good for him.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=648638

Didn't think it needed an explanation.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:36 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
No kidding......

On the other hand, some have managed to sell to people that Koivu is garbage and a master manipulator who is the sole reason we haven't signed any star players or #1 centres.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I'm setting my expectations low:

We re-sign Koivu and Kovalev.

Tanguay, Komisarek both walk.

Plekanec gets a $4 million contract.

Halak is traded for a crappy draft pick.

The only UFAs we sign are Beauchemin ($5 million) and Ian Laperriere ($2.4 million).

Chipchura is let go for nothing, for no reason.

Habs struggle all year to stay in the top 10. At the trade deadline there are crazy rumours, everyone goes nuts, and nothing happens.

In March, Koivu scores 10 goals, 12 assists and Kovalev scores 13 goals, 7 assists and the Habs finish 8th in the east. Then we get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round. Habs draft 19th overall next year. Rumours start up again. Repeat cycle.

WOW....and I thought you were a good fan of the Habs!!! You could at least TRY to look on the bright side.

I think....

Kovalev and Tanguay will be re-signed since they are our best players and suitable wingers for a #1 centerman

Koivu may or may not be gone depending on who we get for a #1 center. Komisarek will be gone because he wants a payday instead of a good team to play for. If he wants to stay in Montreal...he'll sign for what he's worth...$4million or less.

Pleks should get a $3 million contract at the most....and even then he might be dealt for a bigger, better #1 centerman.

Halak will be here until the trade deadline at least.

I could see signing Beauchemin...but not Laperrierre. But who knows.

And I'm hoping Chipchura either plays 4th line this season or is packaged in a deal.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
On the other hand, some have managed to sell to people that Koivu is garbage and a master manipulator who is the sole reason we haven't signed any star players or #1 centres.
Yep, and some believe that it's about time that people realise Koivu is a very good 2nd line center, not worth another 4,5 mil contract and that there's a difference between respect for his personal battles and a freackin jersey retirement, especially when Lemaire, Lapointe and Bouchard aren't up there yet. Doesn't mean we want him gone, we're just tired of management and a handfull of fans shoving him in our faces.

Old
06-17-2009, 12:13 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
WOW....and I thought you were a good fan of the Habs!!! You could at least TRY to look on the bright side.

I think....

Kovalev and Tanguay will be re-signed since they are our best players and suitable wingers for a #1 centerman

Koivu may or may not be gone depending on who we get for a #1 center. Komisarek will be gone because he wants a payday instead of a good team to play for. If he wants to stay in Montreal...he'll sign for what he's worth...$4million or less.

Pleks should get a $3 million contract at the most....and even then he might be dealt for a bigger, better #1 centerman.

Halak will be here until the trade deadline at least.

I could see signing Beauchemin...but not Laperrierre. But who knows.

And I'm hoping Chipchura either plays 4th line this season or is packaged in a deal.
Call me a bad fan, sure, but I'm basing my assumptions on virtually exactly what has happened in the last 5 years.

Old
06-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Yep, and some believe that it's about time that people realise Koivu is a very good 2nd line center, not worth another 4,5 mil contract and that there's a difference between respect for his personal battles and a freackin jersey retirement, especially when Lemaire, Lapointe and Bouchard aren't up there yet. Doesn't mean we want him gone, we're just tired of management and a handfull of fans shoving him in our faces.
I'm a huge fan of Koivu's and it's not hard to know he isn't a number 1 centre on this team, or any team in the league.

There is a thread about Koivu there, so I won't continue.

Waffledave is correct. Everyone is poping wood here thinking we'll land someone big. Is there a possibility ? Yes, there certainly is. Will it become a reality ? Not likely.

And if it does, yippy!

Old
06-17-2009, 01:08 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=648638

Didn't think it needed an explanation.
So he's not getting his jersey retired, damn it. Thanks for getting my hopes up.

Old
06-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Are you sure or is this something you are making up yourself?

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Habs 1909

We ask for Sundin, we get Lang. (Lang turned out to be a great pickup, IMO)
We ask for a key trade deadline acquisition, we get Glen Metropolit.
The list continues and continues..

We shouldn't even be surprised anymore.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

they always say you hurt and are hurt by the ones you love the most,,, to that I say, please love a little less.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:12 PM
MathMan

Something will happen. Montreal is not playing 09-10 with 30 million in free cap space.

Although it might be interesting to see what happens if Montreal tries to make a big deal, all its attempts bomb, and it's forced to fill its roster with reluctant minimum-wage players just so it can ice something resembling a NHL team.

But I think it's possible that the Habs fanbase will lose faith and start to stay away. Let's not forget that in the dog days of the late nineties, Montreal didn't exactly sell out every game or make piles of money like they do now.

And Montreal is a team that gives out to revenue sharing.. so the whole league would suffer from it.

I have to admit I'm amused by the possibility that one of the league's cash cows dies out because the players would rather go play in the sun and not have to deal with the rabid media and fans... resulting in less hockey revenue overall, a lower cap, and escrow payments.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:20 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
If the GM was doing a good job no one would complaint about the lack of Quebecers on the team. But the team sucks and the future looks bleak.
They complained 2 years ago even if we were first in the east. I remember one night we had only 1 or 2 quebecers dressed and they said it was an horrible day in habs history.

Some people would prefer us to have Lecavalier, St-Louis, a few guys like Begin and Talbot along with a crappy last place team over the no-quebecer Detroit Red Wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKomisarek View Post
We ask for Sundin, we get Lang. (Lang turned out to be a great pickup, IMO)
We ask for a key trade deadline acquisition, we get Glen Metropolit.
The list continues and continues..

We shouldn't even be surprised anymore.
Mathieu Schneider was a key trade deadline acquisition. 17 points in 23 games for a defensemen isn't too bad methinks...

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:33 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Are you sure or is this something you are making up yourself?
What, you didn't hear? Briere didn't sign here because Koivu refused to let him play with Ryder and Higgins! And he asked Gainey to trade Ribeiro!

Old
06-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Caekslap

Quote:
What, you didn't hear? Briere didn't sign here because Koivu refused to let him play with Ryder and Higgins! And he asked Gainey to trade Ribeiro!
And he also eats dead babies.

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Kafka

Quote:
The only things we can take for facts because we saw the images:

- Koivu and Rivet tried to put at their place Ribeiro and Dagenais. Was it only one episode or a hatery that became bigger as Ribeiro was improving? I don't know and wont comment about it.

- However, one thing that Koivu did and for which I think he doesn't diserve to stay with that team is a comment he made about going to play bowling instead of practicing with an ironic touch. That is something you tell your coach. You don't go in front of the camera with a comment like that. This comment was made a few days before Carbonneau was fired, and is an unacceptable comment from a captain.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
The only things we can take for facts because we saw the images:

- Koivu and Rivet tried to put at their place Ribeiro and Dagenais. Was it only one episode or a hatery that became bigger as Ribeiro was improving? I don't know and wont comment about it.

- However, one thing that Koivu did and for which I think he doesn't diserve to stay with that team is a comment he made about going to play bowling instead of practicing with an ironic touch. That is something you tell your coach. You don't go in front of the camera with a comment like that. This comment was made a few days before Carbonneau was fired, and is an unacceptable comment from a captain.
Carbonneau wasn't an estranged father trying to connect with his kid, he was a coach of a ****in' hockey team which adults play on. You don't take them bowling to show that you're a nice guy, you tell them ********ers they're making millions and playing like ****, so you put them on the ****in' ice and make them skate. They lose again, they'll skate more. A coach who doesn't push, or discipline his players is a *****.

Whenever you got a bad mark in school, did your parents take you out for ice cream, or tell you to get your dumbass the **** up the stairs and study ?