HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gustavsson to visit 4 nhl teams. Philly not mentioned

Old
06-17-2009, 04:04 PM
UseYourAllusion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
2) what possible benefit comes from disclosing your assessment of an unsigned player?

while transparency would be nice as a fan, it can only cause problems for the team competing with other teams.
It would, in fact, disappoint me if they disclosed their actual assessment of and stance on an unsigned player.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Not making an offer? He is visiting 4 teams, that menad 26 teams are either not interested or he doesnt want to go there. Just because hes not here doesnt mean we dont want to make an offer, and if it does, well 26 other teams havent made an offer either.

Have you seen him play? I mean other than youtube clips that show nothing but his great saves? You can make a 10 minute clip of all of Esche's great saves over the years, that doesnt mean hes a starting goalie.

Bottom line, when 26 NHL teams dont even have the kid visit them, I would say maybe you shouldnt listen to the hype on an internet forum where maybe a handful of people have ever watched him play in an actual game more than once or twice. Are you one of the handful?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 05:07 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
HOLMGREN!!!!!!!

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING???????

You gotta be kidding me. Homer would rather have Esche over a promising young goaltender. Smart move by not even trying to make an offer.
Me, I'll trus a former goalie now turned GOALIE ONLY scout over a skater turned scout who has never playerd goal before. Give Neil Little some credit for knowing the position and which one "looks" better. I think he's a much better judge of such things than any writer just posting his stats.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 05:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
1) this organization has a long history of being full of **** in their public statements.

2) what possible benefit comes from disclosing your assessment of an unsigned player?

while transparency would be nice as a fan, it can only cause problems for the team competing with other teams.
I agree that they will say anything to keep people off their case, but I have a hard time believing that they are lying when they admit to a town hall that they never heard of the guy.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I agree that they will say anything to keep people off their case, but I have a hard time believing that they are lying when they admit to a town hall that they never heard of the guy.
So you honestly think an entire forum full of people talk about this guy but an organization and all of its scouts are clueless to a top tier goalie in maybe the 2nd best league outside of north america? Half the guys drafted in rounds 5-7 are never even mentioned before they are drafted around here but scouts know about them, but they dont know about a 9 foot tall goalie?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
my sentiments exactly. " who is he" or " never heard of him" isnt exactly the usual response they give. you can be aloof and acknowledge the existence of a guy. its one thing to openly say " we want this guy were going after him" its another to play dumb infront of a bunch of STH for fear of ruining some imaginary chance of getting him.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 05:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
So you honestly think an entire forum full of people talk about this guy but an organization and all of its scouts are clueless to a top tier goalie in maybe the 2nd best league outside of north america? Half the guys drafted in rounds 5-7 are never even mentioned before they are drafted around here but scouts know about them, but they dont know about a 9 foot tall goalie?
Based on what we were told? Yes.

Why would you say "we never heard of him?" That just outright reeks of incompetence. Even if they didn't, you don't admit that to a town hall of people you invited to pick your brain. At least say "We're don't want to disclose thoughts on specific players not under contract, but we scout scout every major league in the world, we just felt that Backlund is a better fit for us."

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

FWIW, Elund has The Flyers in the five teams he is hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklund
Jonas Gustavsson, the goalie Brian Burke compared to Jonas Hiller recently is essentially down to five teams I am told. I am also told to expect a Fabian Brunnstrom like press event here. Toronto, Colorado, Dallas, Philadelphia, San Jose.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Gustaf/1/21601

... He also states that Lombardi loves Hartnell (for LA's 5th OA pick?), and Buffalo may have interest in bringing Briere back.

Remember my FWIW caveat, please.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
FWIW, Elund has The Flyers in the five teams he is hearing.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Gustaf/1/21601

... He also states that Lombardi loves Hartnell (for LA's 5th OA pick?), and Buffalo may have interest in bringing Briere back.

Remember my FWIW caveat, please.
I wouldn't be totally pissed if we didn't get him but if we didn't make a move I would.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote