HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Philadelphia Phillies World ****ing Champions Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2009, 02:06 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Cole has never really been a mid 90s guy.

Erm...check the stats if you think Hamels is giving anything away to Lester.
Stats can only show so much, I have seen the last couple of Lesters starts including the one against the Phillies. i think he is some thing like 22 innings, 3 er, 7 hits, 33 K's. And all I'm saying is that it seems that Cole isn't throwing as hard as last year.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrain View Post
Stats can only show so much, I have seen the last couple of Lesters starts including the one against the Phillies. i think he is some thing like 22 innings, 3 er, 7 hits, 33 K's. And all I'm saying is that it seems that Cole isn't throwing as hard as last year.
A couple of starts don't really impress me that much...do it for a season, then we'll talk. Chan Ho Park threw a great start against the Mets, he was still terrible.

Lester is a very good young pitcher, but there are flaws in any belief that Lester is "dominating" where Hamels is not.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:45 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Hamels never threw harder than he does now. Considering how effective his change is, he doesn't need to either.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
A couple of starts don't really impress me that much...do it for a season, then we'll talk. Chan Ho Park threw a great start against the Mets, he was still terrible.

Lester is a very good young pitcher, but there are flaws in any belief that Lester is "dominating" where Hamels is not.
Right now Cole has to be the Phillies ace while he has not pitched like it.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Hamels never threw harder than he does now. Considering how effective his change is, he doesn't need to either.
I've actually found a graph that answered my own question about his velocity.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Right now Cole has to be the Phillies ace while he has not pitched like it.
He had a rough start to the season, it happens. Since then his ERA has been on a steady decline. At the end of April he was at 7.27, put a 4.06 ERA up in May, and has a 2.70 ERA in June thus far. By the end of the season, he'll be a 3-whatever ERA and have a solid record -- assuming he avoids injuries.

Hamels isn't a problem.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
He had a rough start to the season, it happens. Since then his ERA has been on a steady decline. At the end of April he was at 7.27, put a 4.06 ERA up in May, and has a 2.70 ERA in June thus far. By the end of the season, he'll be a 3-whatever ERA and have a solid record -- assuming he avoids injuries.

Hamels isn't a problem.
I agree with you, but last night was the perfect time for him to go deep. Pretty unlucky timing for one of his good but not great starts.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I agree with you, but last night was the perfect time for him to go deep. Pretty unlucky timing for one of his good but not great starts.
Don't underestimate how much last postseason took out of him...and then add in all the stupid injuries he had at the outset of this season. It really isn't shocking at all that he hasn't been "lights out" on a regular basis. Hopefully by the time we get into the meat of the season, he'll have his arm in a nice groove.

But, as to last night, here's the real point: our closer was on the mound in the 9th with a 3-2 lead. I'm not sure why Hamels really deserves much discussion for last night.

Old
06-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Yoshimitsu

Hamels is throwing with the same velocity he had last year. While it was always his third pitch, Hamels seems to be throwing his curveball about 40% less this year, which has essentially made him a 2 pitch pitcher. I'm not sure if there's a reason for this from a coaching or mechanics standpoint, and I'm not a pitching expert, but it seems to me that Hamels was most effective when he was working in the curveball 10-20 times per game at different points to keep hitters off balance.

With all that being said, I'm not worried about him. Hamels has been solid this season. His first two starts of the year in which he allowed 7 and 5 earned runs respectively have inflated his ERA. Another thing to consider is that his batting average on balls in play against him is .349 this season, which is very high. His BABIP was .270 last year, so you can see that he's getting unlucky at times (see: last night's game where the Jays hit 3 straight infield singles to perfect spots). Since getting healthy, he's only had two legitimately poor starts, against Washington and New York. He didn't have great control last night, but going 6 and giving up 2 runs is a victory for a team with the Phillies offense 9 out of 10 times. I agree that he needs to be better, but I don't think there's any reason for alarm.

I don't think the Phillies will be able to repeat without upgrading their pitching. Repeating in sports, especially baseball where so few teams make the playoffs, is extremely difficult, and the Phillies have issues which will only serve to make it more difficult if they aren't addressed. The Phillies need at least one more starter who can eat innings. Bastardo is not a major league starter at this point, and Moyer is a pitcher who will get you about 6 innings on a good night, so they need help. I'm holding out hope that the Indians begin to tank and that Cliff Lee is made available, but the latter probably isn't likely. Considering how stagnant the market is, I don't think the Phillies will be able to make a move until pretty close to the deadline. This could be a rough month.

Old
06-17-2009, 12:04 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Don't underestimate how much last postseason took out of him...and then add in all the stupid injuries he had at the outset of this season. It really isn't shocking at all that he hasn't been "lights out" on a regular basis. Hopefully by the time we get into the meat of the season, he'll have his arm in a nice groove.

But, as to last night, here's the real point: our closer was on the mound in the 9th with a 3-2 lead. I'm not sure why Hamels really deserves much discussion for last night.
Oh you're definitely right about all that. I steered way clear of Hamels in all of my fantasy drafts this year because of the playoff run. He didn't lose that game at all. Honestly, I was quite impressed with the way he worked out of those jams (with a nice assist by Scott Rolen. Hey, that guy isn't quite so bad after all!). It just would have been nice if he could have gone seven and saved Durbin in light of all the work the pen has put in recently. I don't want Chad hitting a wall again this year. Not blaming Hamels, just lamenting the fact that these guys are getting way too much work and the one guy with potential to ease that just didn't quite have it last night.

I'm actually blaming Ruiz for last night. Why aren't you calling for a 96 mph fastball in a full count with a one run lead and the bases loaded? A change out of the zone isn't ideal when that's pretty obviously the out pitch a guy might expect. Take your chances with the guy hitting that heat. Nobody was hitting anything hard off him yet, why would you expect them to start?

Old
06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Jester

I really don't think he's throwing his curve that much less at all...he never really threw it that often. That being said, he did have elbow problems in spring training, which might equate to throwing less breaking pitches as they apply more pressure to the elbow (due to the torque of twisting your arm around the ball).

Old
06-17-2009, 06:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Why, you're not a Phillies fan?

Guy is a schmuck, but he played under some atrocious management, I would have wanted out too.
Yeah, but he went beyond management. I still follow the Phillies with favorable interest, but I have a problem with that no matter what team it was for. The last season he was here he was dogging it (in my view), and called out the fans as for booing him (despite being voted into the All-Star Game).

The Phillies finished 2 games out of the division the year before, they weren't as bad as they had been in the 90s.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
06-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Yoshimitsu

Down three runs after a half of an inning. It's really a wonder that the Phillies are leading their division with starting pitching like this.

Old
06-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Great start. Looks like we're picking up right where we left off last night.

Old
06-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
Down three runs after a half of an inning. It's really a wonder that the Phillies are leading their division with starting pitching like this.
ehh Hamels pitched well yesterday. It was the Bullpen that let us down last night.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
06-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Yoshimitsu

Is anyone else tired of Chris Wheeler blowing Scott Rolen on air?

Old
06-17-2009, 07:21 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
I'm tired of Chris Wheeler in general.

Old
06-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'm tired of Chris Wheeler in general.
I agree. He should retire. I'd rather hear Sarge say "that was a GUT swing" all frickin night.

Old
06-17-2009, 07:57 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I actually enjoy Sarge, he provides some in-game entertainment.

Old
06-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I actually enjoy Sarge, he provides some in-game entertainment.
Yeah me too, I actually do love the way he pronounces stuff.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:28 PM
UseYourAllusion

plus Sarge has those hats.

Old
06-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

I hope they play a lot better tomorrow, since I'll be there. >_>

Old
06-18-2009, 12:13 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 1300
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
They are really playing like **** lately.

Old
06-18-2009, 10:01 AM
CantSeeColors

And now Raul goes on the DL. Fantastic.

Old
06-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
Not as tired as I am of him blowing Ryan Zimmerman every time he's playing the Phils.

I want them to do away with the entire announcing team...maybe keep McCarthy. Bring Larry Anderson back from radio, as he's significantly better than Wheeler or Sarge (I swear to god Sarge memorizes a list of things for each series and, by God, he's going to say those things every game of the series).

Closed Thread