HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sergei Gonchar

Old
06-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Gonchars value just went down, he played in the playoffs with a torn MCL thanks to Ovechkin.
Plus the shoulder injury which kept him out for 3/4 of a season.

I don't think he has a lot of trade value to other teams due to his recent injury history ie I don't think Chicago would give up Cam Barker for Gonchar as Gonchar may break down during the season or he maybe done in a couple of years that is despite obviously Gonchar being the better player currently. That being said if he was an UFA there would be many teams willing to take a chance on him.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The two-fold answer is obvious, and stated in the original post. 1) Very high value, of course. 2) Pointless debate, since he's going nowhere.

He's older and the sort of player that a team looking to compete would desperately want to pick up. Most teams in the cellar wouldn't be competing shortly, so they won't be offering up futures, which are their most important pieces during a rebuild.

So the answer is that he has high value, in terms of other players with substantial cap hits, who are veterans. If they wanted to trade him to fill a need elsewhere, which they don't, then that would be an avenue open to them.

The dynamic of how Pittsburgh's season went both with him and without him, however, removes all possibility that the Penguins would consider moving him. He comes off looking for all appearances like the catalyst to that club in 2008-09. No team looking to defend a title would mess with that element.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:24 AM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
He's older and the sort of player that a team looking to compete would desperately want to pick up.
Bizarre no JMFJ for Gonchar posts from King's fans yet

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I could see Columbus being uber-interested in Sarge for a few reasons, but mainly because of their woeful power play. I think he'd be a great defense partner for Tyutin, too. They may even be a tandem in the Olympics next February. Also, Columbus isn't far from Pittsburgh, which isn't far from Toronto (which is where Sarge lives, IIRC), so maybe Sarge would be amenable to waiving his no-trade clause.

I don't think anything will happen with Sarge this off-season, unless Shero signs someone (or plans to sign someone) that won't fit under the cap without moving a significant salary. But I believe Gonchar has moved to the front of the list of players Shero MAY consider moving for cap reasons. I think there is zero chance Staal gets moved now, following his awesome Cup final.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
If it were done, he'd have to be going to the Western Conference.

Gonch, Dupuis, and the 1st and 2nd in '09 for the 8th overall, Neal, and Robidas, or something.
No way is Dallas giving up the 8th overall and Neal for one year of a 35 year old defenseman.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:48 PM
kmillzy5

Until Letang desides to grab the reigns, or until gogo decides to fill out, Gonchar isnt going anywhere. . . I do believe Letang is almost there.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
No way is Dallas giving up the 8th overall and Neal for one year of a 35 year old defenseman.
Like I said, no sweat. We have no incentive to deal him for anything less than an ideal return.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:18 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
No way is Dallas giving up the 8th overall and Neal for one year of a 35 year old defenseman, two high round draft picks, and a pretty solid bottom six player.
Fixed it for you.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote