HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Vic Hedman/Kenny Jonsson - valid comparison?

Old
06-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Hyperkookeez*

vCash: 500
Vic Hedman/Kenny Jonsson - valid comparison?

just a random thought. both are capable skaters, big bodies who wont shy away from contact but dont out of their way to make their physical presence known, sound in both zones(for jonsson im assuming this is correct?), and very similar stats in the same league at the same age.

was jonsson as hyped as hedman during his draft year?

other than some limited international viewing of jonsson and only seeing hedman play at the wjhc my knowledge of either player is not nearly as extensive as some of the prospect trackers in here. if anyone could shed some more light that'd be appreciated

how likely are the chances of hedman being the next kenny jonsson in your opinion?

Last edited by Hyperkookeez*: 06-12-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:06 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperkookeez View Post
If he was, he would have been picked higher then 12th now wouldn't he

Quote:
how likely would are the chance of hedman being the next kenny jonsson in your opinion?
Probably a good comparison but I think VH will be better then Jonsson in everyway(offense, physical, and equal to better defensively). As an Islanders fan the best thing I could say about Jonsson was you never really noticed him because he was always positioned in the correct spot(which ment he hardly made any mistakes), very underrated defenseman. I have a feeling if he stayed in Toronto he would have got alot more credit then he did on the Island.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:17 PM
West Coast Isles Fan

I think Hedman has much more potential offensively, but defensively i think they play a similar style.

West Coast Isles Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Riddick

id say if hedman is as smooth as jonsson defensively and equally gifted offensively then they would be stupid not to pick him.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
how likely are the chances of hedman being the next kenny jonsson in your opinion?
It's a great comparison. From what I've seen, however, Hedman has a considerably better shot than KJ - KJ's shot is a real weak point in his game. KJ never got any respect from PK'ers as a result - they'd just back off and look pass. That's why he was never a great PP quarterback, considering his excellent passing and skating skills.

If VH is as good 1 on 1 defensively as KJ was, VH will be defensively dominant with his reach. Like, "don't bother trying" dominant. KJ was, for years, an elite 1 on 1 guy - nearly unbeatable.

If VH will become a bigger, somewhat more physical KJ with a better shot, he'll be a Norris candidate.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:31 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
It's a great comparison. From what I've seen, however, Hedman has a considerably better shot than KJ - KJ's shot is a real weak point in his game. KJ never got any respect from PK'ers as a result - they'd just back off and look pass. That's why he was never a great PP quarterback, considering his excellent passing and skating skills.

If VH is as good 1 on 1 defensively as KJ was, VH will be defensively dominant with his reach. Like, "don't bother trying" dominant. KJ was, for years, an elite 1 on 1 guy - nearly unbeatable.

If VH will become a bigger, somewhat more physical KJ with a better shot, he'll be a Norris candidate.

Cheers,

Dan-o
This post is dead on. KJ was superbly gifted and vastly underrated while on the island. Mostly because the teams were terrible only up until his latter years here before jetting back to sweden. What a shame too bc he was awesome to watch. If hedman is like KJ with a better shot, id sign up for him anyday...but then you get people saying tavares is like bossy...soooo therein lies the dilemma.

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
This post is dead on. KJ was superbly gifted and vastly underrated while on the island. Mostly because the teams were terrible only up until his latter years here before jetting back to sweden. What a shame too bc he was awesome to watch. If hedman is like KJ with a better shot, id sign up for him anyday...but then you get people saying tavares is like bossy...soooo therein lies the dilemma.
I loved KJ's positioning and use of body along the boards, but his flaws were:

1. He was a terrible captain. Dumb decision by Milbury, which was par for his course

2. He had lackluster playoff's

3. He was great when he joined the rush or shot, he just did it rarely.

4. He was 30 years old and had the acne of a teenager. His face was topographical.

I would think (given from what I've read and seen) that Hedman should be a superior player.

Pure Slaughter Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Slaughter Value View Post
4. He was 30 years old and had the acne of a teenager. His face was topographical.
Acne?

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
just a random thought. both are capable skaters, big bodies who wont shy away from contact but dont out of their way to make their physical presence known, sound in both zones(for jonsson im assuming this is correct?), and very similar stats in the same league at the same age.

other than some limited international viewing of jonsson and only seeing hedman play at the wjhc my knowledge of either player is not nearly as extensive as some of the prospect trackers in here. if anyone could shed some more light that'd be appreciated

From what I've seen, Hedman is a better shooter and skater than Jonsson. He is of course also significantly bigger and stronger. I have not seen enough of him to know if has Jonsson's skill at defense (or to project if he will develop it), but if he does, then the additional mobility, reach, strength and shooting ability would make him a significantly better player, IMO.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote