HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers New York Islanders

Old
06-17-2009, 08:56 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Oilers New York Islanders

To Edm
first round pick
John Tavares

To New york islanders
Sam Gagner
Andrew Cogliano
10th overall pick

How terrible is this proposal?

Last edited by oilersfan11: 06-17-2009 at 09:27 PM.
oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Tombernack

vCash: 500
Not terrible at all actually.

But the lure of 1st overall is probably still too much to trade it.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
har har.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:00 PM
IslesFTW

Surprisingly, I kind of like this proposal. I am a huge Gagner fan. I feel he could become a very good first line forward. The first round pick is also good. We could probably move up to get a Jared Cowan.

I however, am not a fan of Cogliano. We already would have two top center prospects(Gagner, Bailey), and I am not a fan of Cogliano's size.

But I like it as a start, but we'd want someone else rather than Cogliano.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
har har.
Elaborate.. I don't think it's that bad.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:02 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFTW View Post
Surprisingly, I kind of like this proposal. I am a huge Gagner fan. I feel he could become a very good first line forward. The first round pick is also good. We could probably move up to get a Jared Cowan.

I however, am not a fan of Cogliano. We already would have two top center prospects(Gagner, Bailey), and I am not a fan of Cogliano's size.

Cogliano's more of a RW than a C, especially since he sucks at face-offs (right now). His speed is better-utilized on the outside anyway.

I'm an Oilers fan, and I don't think the Isles do it. They just have too many pieces that are perfectly suited to Tavares:

Tavares-Bailey-Okposo

vs.

?-Gagner-Okposo
?-Bailey-Cogliano

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:03 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

actually pretty good

karnige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:05 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin 43 View Post
Agreed. It is one of the best proposals for our pick that I have seen...not that it is saying much with the awful proposals around here

I would need a better substitute for Cogliano, and something could work.

Then deal the 10th, and something else to move up to the top five/six so we can get a Jared Cowen.

XX-Gagner-Okposo
Bergenheim-Bailey-Comeau
Tambellini-Weight-Hunter
Park-Nielsen-Jackman

Cowen-Streit
Witt-Gervais
Martinek-Sutton

DiPietro
XX

Edit: I think Gilbert may have just been edited in the original post(wasn't there when I posted this), so I will leave Gilbert out of this roster.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:05 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:

I don't really know who would be a better fit then Cogliano. Penner? More picks/prospects?

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post

Tavares-Bailey-Okposo

vs.

?-Gagner-Okposo
?-Bailey-Cogliano
After what has happened to the Sens, I think I'd much rather have the lineup in bold. Gagner and Cogliano together will ask for about as much money as Tavares in the future combined I think. Then there's whoever you draft at #10 (Schroeder, Kassian, etc).

I'd rather have the two line scoring depth going forward then the one line power.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:08 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Cogliano's more of a RW than a C, especially since he sucks at face-offs (right now). His speed is better-utilized on the outside anyway.

I'm an Oilers fan, and I don't think the Isles do it. They just have too many pieces that are perfectly suited to Tavares:

Tavares-Bailey-Okposo

vs.

?-Gagner-Okposo
?-Bailey-Cogliano
[speaking of just value]I'd rather have Gagner and Cowen than Tavares or Hedman. Gagner and Cowen(we'd be able to trade up from 10 to get in position to get him) fills two of our needs: young top six forward and young top defenseman. That isn't to mention the other pieces we'd get from Edmonton as well.

Now thinking of the other things Tavares brings, like marketability/renewed fan interest, I am not sure the Isles would do it. But the deal in the original post, which now includes Gilbert, is fair, and I would probably do it. And I am an Isles fan.

Edit: didn't see Streit was now edited in. The above was mostly speaking about the Cogliano, Gagner, and the 10th for Tavares proposal.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:10 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
I don't really know who would be a better fit then Cogliano. Penner? More picks/prospects?
Hmm not sure. Maybe Cogliano, and another pick...like your third.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:12 PM
koeltrain

Oilers don't want more salary on the backend. Otherwise maybe.

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:13 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Hmm not sure. Maybe Cogliano, and another pick...like your third.
Not an oilers fan, but I don't think Edmonton would mind giving up a 3rd.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin 43 View Post
It doesn't really fit any of the Islanders needs. The Islanders actually have a fairly deep pool of prospects and with the sheer number of picks in the top 60 this year, that's only going to get deeper. What they need is a true star to build around. All this offer does is take away our best chance at that while not really giving any back. Gagner and the 10th have a shot at it, but not nearly to the likelyhood or upside that one of the Tavares or Hedman do. It upgrades us in the short term, sure, but doesn't really give us anything we can really build around. Then on top of that, we throw in our best player and another first rounder on top of that. Whether or not it's fair on a value level is pointless, when it completely goes against what the Islanders are actually looking to do with the team. We are a rebuilding team, and this trade has the most valuable piece coming back to the Islanders being a pick 9 places lower and out of the top tier in this draft.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Joey Moss

TBH it's good, but I would not take that deal as an Oil fan. It's just MO I would rather have Gagner, Cogliano, Glennie/Kulikov/Schroeder and Gilbert than Tavares who could be a good player but could also be the next Daigle and Mark Streit. Gagner and Cogliano have at least established themselves as decent players so far.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Not an oilers fan, but I don't think Edmonton would mind giving up a 3rd.
lol if a third is what it's going to take, a third is what they are going to get.

I know it's hard to give up that 3rd round draft pick... but I think it's worth it here.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
IslesFTW

Yeah no way to the newly edited deal in the first post. Sorry that is too much going back to Edmonton now. Is it too much to ask that the deal in the original post not be edited anymore? I think it has been edited at least 4 times now. Kind of making my posts look crazy.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
TBH it's good, but I would not take that deal as an Oil fan. It's just MO I would rather have Gagner, Cogliano, Glennie/Kulikov/Schroeder and Gilbert than Tavares who could be a good player but could also be the next Daigle and Mark Streit. Gagner and Cogliano have at least established themselves as decent players so far.
True, true, I keep saying that I would do it but I haven't even really considered everything yet. Giving up our 2 of our 3 best young forwards and one of our 2 good young top 4 Dmen and a high draft pick for Tavares and Streit is a risky move that could go either way.

Unfortunately I don't like Tavares at all and would rather Hedman so I don't think I'd do the deal.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Yeah no way to the newly edited deal in the first post. Sorry that is too much going back to Edmonton now. Is it too much to ask that the deal in the original post not be edited anymore? I think it has been edited at least 4 times now. Kind of making my posts look crazy.
lol Seriously, I keep changing my mind and every post I have different thoughts. You and I are looking like crazy people.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
To Edm
first round pick
John Tavares

To New york islanders
Sam Gagner
Andrew Cogliano
10th overall pick

I was really afraid to open up this post.....1st overall proposals are scary. Good job though, but I'm wondering why the swap of defensemen?
I'm not sure if either team would do it actually. The Islanders need Tavares to sell the game in Long Island, and the Oilers prospect cupboard would be pretty bare with some holes to fill
How about-
Gagner
O'Sullivan
10th

for

1st
Joensuu

Last edited by Homesick: 06-17-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:21 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
To Edm
first round pick
John Tavares
Mark Streit

To New york islanders
Sam Gagner
Andrew Cogliano
10th overall pick
Tom Gilbert

I'd rather gamble that Tavares/Hedman become a franchise player then have Gagner+Cogliano

Streit's been very impressive,better then expected playing for the nyi.I don 't see a reason to want to exchange Streit for Gilbert.

No interest in moving down from1st overall to 10th.I think Snow will try to trade back up into the 15th-20th range.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:23 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

I really don't want to give up on Streit, although that is a very nice package coming back to us. I think the Isles stay where they are. Streit's an all star d-man and Tavares is our future franchise cornerstone.

That being said a line of Gagner and Okposo would be pretty unstoppable.

EDIT: Just thinking our line up would be....
Draft 10th- Jordan Schroeder

Schroeder-Gagner-Okposo
Bergenheim-Bailey-Cogliano
Comeau-Weight-Hunter
Park-Nielsen-Jackman

I hate Nielsen on the 4th line, but that's a solid forward group nonetheless.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

Really?Cause their isn't 1 thing in that proposal worth moving 1st overall for imo.

The Isles had a ton of picks last draft,have a ton going into this draft.Instead of 2-3 nice players,I'd rather see the isles try to land a great player.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:28 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Really?Cause their isn't 1 thing in that proposal worth moving 1st overall for imo.

The Isles had a ton of picks last draft,have a ton going into this draft.Instead of 2-3 nice players,I'd rather see the isles try to land a great player.
No, before he edited the first post, the proposal was very different. It was in favor of the Isles before he edited more assets going the Oilers way.

But yeah, I would still take the original deal. Gagner, a potential first line forward prospect who scored 40+ points as a 19 year old(!), a top 10 pick in a loaded draft who we can turn into a Jared Cowen(solving our defensive prospect drought), a speedy top six forward, and we could probably get a second or third rounder too. I'd rather take my chance on that than putting my eggs in one John Tavares basket. Look at how Alexei Yashin turned out as a top pick. That would be a good deal for John Tavares.