HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bouwmeester interested in Philly

Old
06-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Bouwmeester interested in Philly

Sportsnite on CSN mentioned Bouwmeester being interested in coming here. They also have an article on their site saying they are on his wish list.

Quote:
According to a league source, free-agent defenseman Jay Bouwmeester has a “wish list” of about six NHL teams he would like to sign with and the Flyers are on it. According to the source, Bouwmeester likes the Flyers from an “organizational standpoint” and considers them an “up-and-coming team.”
Link

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Sportsnite on CSN mentioned Bouwmeester being interested in coming here. They also have an article on their site saying they are on his wish list.

Link
I'd love to have him, but unless we can unload some of these long term high money contracts (I'm looking at you Briere) I want no part. If the Flyers were to SOMEHOW (I don't know how it would even be possible, but just for argument's sake) be able to sign him without jettisoning one or more of these big contracts, the team will be so tied up that they will become a newer form of the Tampa Bay Lightning.
We are already handcuffed with the Cap. Signing him will mean the Flyers will have to let go of players like Giroux and Sbisa and JVR when their contracts are up.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:53 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
It's such a long shot. I don't think people realize how hard it would be to bring him here.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Haute Couturier

It definitely won't be easy, but the Flyers have been interested in him all year long. I think Homer is going to try his best to make it work. It could happen.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
It definitely won't be easy, but the Flyers have been interested in him all year long. I think Homer is going to try his best to make it work. It could happen.
I just hope it's not accompanied by stupidity (like trading Hartnell instead of one of the bad contracts).

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Cleary84

As stated above, it's gonna be hard as hell to make room for him. I just hope we don't get screwed over concerning Giroux, Sbisa and JVR.

Maybe signing Emery to a cheap deal was the first of many moves to come to acquire this dude.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:01 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I agree. He is gonna do his best. However, which GM isn't? If they didn't attempted to Jay-Bo and his agent they'd be dumb. The guy is an awesome player.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Watched Homer's press conference live. Not sure what they are showing online, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't get fined for tampering - he isn't allowed to talk about players still under contract but he was doing it. Said that Florida 'can't sign JBo' and then said, 'I can't talk about him,' and tried to go 'off the record.' Finally he asked them to shut the camera off. Yikes...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Watched Homer's press conference live. Not sure what they are showing online, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't get fined for tampering - he isn't allowed to talk about players still under contract but he was doing it. Said that Florida 'can't sign JBo' and then said, 'I can't talk about him,' and tried to go 'off the record.' Finally he asked them to shut the camera off. Yikes...
They cut that part out when they added it to the Flyers web site.

I don't think he said anything on camera that would get him fined, but he clearly wanted to say something that could get him fined which is why he wanted them to turn it off. I think he probably knows what Bouwmeester's intentions are for free agency.

Old
06-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
They cut that part out when they added it to the Flyers web site.

I don't think he said anything on camera that would get him fined, but he clearly wanted to say something that could get him fined which is why he wanted them to turn it off. I think he probably knows what Bouwmeester's intentions are for free agency.
I love JBo but I am worried about the cap implications, esp. if they can't move Briere's contract.

The other option would be to move Timonen. I know people freak out when it's suggested, but the cap hits even out and you upgrade your #1 slot with a guy who is bigger, faster and can play a lot more minutes for the next decade. Again, I think Kimmo has an NTC (correct?) so you'd still have to talk him into it, but you'd have more buyers than there are for Briere so there might be a more palatable option.

Bouwmeester-Parent
Carle-Coburn

Jones/Alberts/Sbisa/UFA Vet?
Bodrov/Marshall/Ratchuk/Bartulis/Bourdon/Lehtivuori in the system

Pretty good group going forward, and moving Kimmo would mean you would be able to add a smaller guy like Ratchuk or Lehtivuori in a year or two without being too undersized on D.

Not saying I'd do this myself without several sleepless nights, but everything has to be on the table - if we're talking moving Gagne or Hartnell to free up cap room for JBo.

If they are serious about JBo and prepared to pay the $7MM+ it will take, can you really have $14-15+ million tied up in only two D - when you've also got so much money tied up in your top forwards?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:47 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I honestly don't know what to think. Bouwmeester would come to Philadelphia. Great, but is he willing to take a minimal contract until the cap situation clears up? Doubt it. So, we need to move salary. However, every team in the league knows the Flyers are in cap trouble and are more than likely going to look for incentives to take some contracts. There's at least four contracts that will need to be moved (Briere, Lupul, Carle, and Jones) in order to make room for signing Bouwmeester, retaining Knuble and bringing in a back up goaltender. Oh, and it needs to be done by July 1. Don't see it happening at all.

There's also word that Florida's Assistant GM Randy Sexkitten (he was called that by the radio stations in Ottawa) is having a Holmgren moment in that he's looking to make a deal for Bouwmeester's rights. The asking price is draft picks and blue chip prospects. Someone will come up with that kind of offer he's looking for.

Right now, it's probably in the Flyers best interest to sit tight and see what develops at the draft. That should give a better indication as to how things are going to move.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Kaktus*

I'd love to have him but Homer MUST make the right move.

Keepers Timonen, Carter, Richards, Coburn, Sbisa, Parent, Giroux, JVR and Hartnell (if he continues to work hard) I'd like to keep all of them.

If Homer moves Briere and 1st round pick for some marginal return to sign Bouwmeester, I am fine with it.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 01:05 AM
SteveH

Ok, so the Flyers somehow sign Jaybo. What's the over /under till people ***** about his contract like Briere? Opus, can we get a line on this?

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 02:13 AM
phlocky

If you want J-Bo (not saying YOU as in posters here, but as if you were the Flyers GM) here's how you do it with a 2 year plan:

This year: Trade Gagne + 81st pick to LAK for Jarret Stoll + 5th pick
Trade Matt Carle to Min for Harding + Boogaard

Sign J-Bo for 26 mil for 4 years (6.5 mil per year cap hit)
Sign Harding for 10 mil for 4 years (2.5 mil per year cap hit)
Sign Emery for 1 year for 1.5 mil
Sign Alberts for 3 mil for 2 years (1.5 mil per year cap hit)
Sign Ross for 1.1 mil for 2 years (10% QO, 0.55 mil cap hit)
Waive/trade for picks Cote & Jones.
Draft MPS/Kane with 5th pick.
Trade 21st and 87th picks to NYI for 31st and 37th picks and draft one goalie and whatever with those 2 picks

Lineup/lines for 09/10

Hartnell - Carter - Briere (15.7 mil)
Giroux - Richards - Lupul (10.85 mil)
Carcillo - Stoll - Powe (5.0 mil)
Boogieman - Ross - Asham (2.05 mil)
Nodl/JVR callups

Timonen - Coburn (7.63 mil)
Jbo - Parent (7.35 mil)
Alberts - Sbisa (2.35 mil)

Emery/Harding (4.0 mil)

Puts us right at about 55 mil.

Lupul should do even better with being paired with Richards and a 30/60 season isn't out of the realm of possibility. Briere stays healthy and puts up 70+ points.

In the off-season, trade Lupul to CBJ for 2010 1st + 2011 2nd/prospect. Lupul replaces Modin who will a 34 yr old UFA at the end of the seaosn, Lupul gives them better scoring at just a slight increase over Modins cost.

Trade Briere to whomever needs a #1 center for whatever you can get for them taking on his salary (probably a 2nd and a prospect).

Sign Coburn for 9.0 mil for 3 years (3.0 mil per year cap hit) during the season
Sign Parent for 3.5 mil for 2 years (1.75 mil per year cap hit)
Sign Asham for 1.5 mil for 2 years (0.75 mil cap hit)
Sign Carcillo for 2.5 mil for 2 years (1.25 mil cap hit)
Sign Powe for 2.0 mil for 2 years (1.0 mil cap hit)
Sign Boogaard for 2.5 mil for 2 years (1.25 mi cap hit)
JVR replaces Lupul
MPS/Kane replaces Briere
Backlund replaces Emery

2010/11 lineup:

Hartnell - Carter - MPS/Kane (10-12 mil with rookie bonuses)
JVR - Richards - Giroux (7.5-9.5 mil with rookie bonuses)
Carcillo - Stoll - Powe (5.85 mil)
Boogaard - Ross - Asham (2.55 mil)

Jbo - Parent (7.35 mil)

Harding/Backlund (3.5 mil)

46.75 to 50.75 mil cap hit. The rookie bonuses can be diferred to the following season but we shouldn't need to in this scenario. projected cap is between 50-52 mil at this point so we are good.

After the 10/11 season the cap will likely go back up to clse to 55 mil (the economy looks like it has bottomed out and a turn around should be coming in the next 2 quarters). Carter, Giroux and Sbisa will need new contracts after this season and if the cap is at 55 mil we will have roughly 11 mil to resign those 3 players.

This is how you sign Jbo and keep as many of your core players together, bring in new young talent, and still put a dangerous team on the ice. If we don't trade Briere Gagne is gone in 2 years anyways so we might as well get something for him. If yo want to sign Jbo then you have to lose Briere AND Gagne over the next 2 years.

Flame away if you want but this is the only scenario that I can see where we could sign Jbo and NOT kill ourselves. An aweful lot of things have to go just right for this to work but if we are getting J-bo then this might be the best and only way of doing it and actually being able to gain form it.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Semin

I don't know Phillys cap space. But what if they gave him one of those contracts Detroit handed out to Zetterberg and Franzen? Would that work? They would probley need to move someone out. Hopefully not Hartnell.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 02:45 AM
dawkins121

I don't know why people keep saying, "I hope if he comes here it doesn't mean we lose someone like Sbisa or JVR!" Why not? J-Bo is a proven NHL player and would be a huge upgrade at a weak position for us. Sbisa won't be able to contribute like J-Bo can for years, if ever. JVR has never stepped on the ice in an NHL game. Sure they are both loaded with potential, but Bouwmeester is a guy that is actually realizing his potential and is entering his prime RIGHT NOW.

If the Flyers signed J-Bo, he would immediately vault up to one of the most valuable players on the team. Gagne is expendable compared to him, Briere is, Hartnell is, Lupul is, Coburn is, Carle is. The only players I wouldn't value J-Bo over are: Richards and Carter for obvious reasons, Timonen (I saw someone proposed to trade Timonen and sign J-bo... that's a lateral move at best. The only real advantage J-Bo has over Timonen is age in my opinion), and Giroux because I believe he really is something special.

Don't get me wrong here though, I am NOT advocating that we blow our wad on him. Just because I think he's more valuable than most of those guys doesn't mean we can afford to pay him accordingly. We already have too much cap space committed to too few players and I seriously doubt that another big contract can be handed out. But if we can somehow land him without losing more than 2 of the guys listed above and still find a competent goalie for after this season, then I say we go for it.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 03:06 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I don't know why people keep saying, "I hope if he comes here it doesn't mean we lose someone like Sbisa or JVR!" Why not? J-Bo is a proven NHL player and would be a huge upgrade at a weak position for us. Sbisa won't be able to contribute like J-Bo can for years, if ever. JVR has never stepped on the ice in an NHL game. Sure they are both loaded with potential, but Bouwmeester is a guy that is actually realizing his potential and is entering his prime RIGHT NOW.

If the Flyers signed J-Bo, he would immediately vault up to one of the most valuable players on the team. Gagne is expendable compared to him, Briere is, Hartnell is, Lupul is, Coburn is, Carle is. The only players I wouldn't value J-Bo over are: Richards and Carter for obvious reasons, Timonen (I saw someone proposed to trade Timonen and sign J-bo... that's a lateral move at best. The only real advantage J-Bo has over Timonen is age in my opinion), and Giroux because I believe he really is something special.

Don't get me wrong here though, I am NOT advocating that we blow our wad on him. Just because I think he's more valuable than most of those guys doesn't mean we can afford to pay him accordingly. We already have too much cap space committed to too few players and I seriously doubt that another big contract can be handed out. But if we can somehow land him without losing more than 2 of the guys listed above and still find a competent goalie for after this season, then I say we go for it.

You said it yourself. Trade the players that are expendable. Personally I would like to try and keep our core players (Richards,Carter,Hartnell, Timonen, Coburn etc) along with our youth. Why trade Sbisa/JVR etc if you don't have to? We're not privy to such information so I can't guarantee they can't be saved in such a trade. I can say however that we have an abundance of forward talent we could deal first.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I watched the press conference and you know that getting J-Bo is Paul's #1 priority. Next weeks draft should be very interesting. It looks like we may be moving down in order to pick up move picks(as long as we do not use it as part of a package for J-Bo).

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
If you want J-Bo (not saying YOU as in posters here, but as if you were the Flyers GM) here's how you do it with a 2 year plan:

Trade 21st and 87th picks to NYI for 31st and 37th picks and draft one goalie and whatever with those 2 picks

Lineup/lines for 09/10

Nodl/JVR callups

Jbo - Parent (7.35 mil)

Emery/Harding (4.0 mil)

Lupul should do even better with being paired with Richards and a 30/60 season isn't out of the realm of possibility. Briere stays healthy and puts up 70+ points.

In the off-season, trade Lupul to CBJ for 2010 1st + 2011 2nd/prospect. Lupul replaces Modin who will a 34 yr old UFA at the end of the seaosn, Lupul gives them better scoring at just a slight increase over Modins cost.

Trade Briere to whomever needs a #1 center for whatever you can get for them taking on his salary (probably a 2nd and a prospect).

Sign Coburn for 9.0 mil for 3 years (3.0 mil per year cap hit) during the season
JVR replaces Lupul
MPS/Kane replaces Briere
Backlund replaces Emery

2010/11 lineup:

Jbo - Parent (7.35 mil)

46.75 to 50.75 mil cap hit. The rookie bonuses can be diferred to the following season but we shouldn't need to in this scenario. projected cap is between 50-52 mil at this point so we are good.

After the 10/11 season the cap will likely go back up to clse to 55 mil (the economy looks like it has bottomed out and a turn around should be coming in the next 2 quarters). Carter, Giroux and Sbisa will need new contracts after this season and if the cap is at 55 mil we will have roughly 11 mil to resign those 3 players.

This is how you sign Jbo and keep as many of your core players together, bring in new young talent, and still put a dangerous team on the ice. If we don't trade Briere Gagne is gone in 2 years anyways so we might as well get something for him. If yo want to sign Jbo then you have to lose Briere AND Gagne over the next 2 years.

Flame away if you want but this is the only scenario that I can see where we could sign Jbo and NOT kill ourselves. An aweful lot of things have to go just right for this to work but if we are getting J-bo then this might be the best and only way of doing it and actually being able to gain form it.
Even though I'm against trading Gagne, this is genius.

But will Matt Carle really get us Harding and Boog?

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 07:52 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I watched the press conference and you know that getting J-Bo is Paul's #1 priority. Next weeks draft should be very interesting. It looks like we may be moving down in order to pick up move picks(as long as we do not use it as part of a package for J-Bo).
That's the worst part, we still don't have a good goaltending situation and all this organization can think about is signing the biggest name FA out there.

Awesome.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 08:00 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post

Lineup/lines for 09/10

Nodl/JVR callups

Jbo - Parent (7.35 mil)

Emery/Harding (4.0 mil)

JVR replaces Lupul
MPS/Kane replaces Briere
Backlund replaces Emery

2010/11 lineup:

Jbo - Parent (7.35 mil)

I would hate to move Gagne, but this is very well done imo. Might have to add a prospect/pick with Carle in order to get that type of return from Minnesota.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 08:45 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
If we move the salary... i want Jbo. Awesome fit for our defense

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I wouldn't mind tossing Briere and JVR for J.Bo

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Getting rid of Jones, Lupul , and Carle is my top choice. Clears close to 10 mill in salary. Jbo replaces Carle and Sbisa replaces Jones.

Bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
That's the worst part, we still don't have a good goaltending situation and all this organization can think about is signing the biggest name FA out there.

Awesome.
We are not going to have a good goaltending situation...that ship has sailed. How do you make he best possible team with Ray Emery and whomever in net next year?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote