HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Warped blade runners?

Old
06-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Warped blade runners?

How often do warped blade runners happen?

My new skates i am getting radiused has one runner that is warped. My friend of mine owns the shop and does the skates for the QMJHL MAINEiacs (my home town team here) and he says he surprised at how often he sees them with the team too.

So I am in there with my 2002 closeout skates Vapor 6s I just bought recently which have that hard black steel runner with the little triangles cut out etc and he shows it to me and I was like what the heck is this all about. The holders are TUUK Custom plus and are supposed to be good stuff. I've never had this problem before on a skate I have owned.

He then shows me another pair in there of the new Vapor X60 and tells me a $600 skate should not come with a warped runner. Themz Lightspeed 2 runners it had I think, didn't really look closely but assumed that is what they were. I recognized that little black logo on the runner itself.

Is this something common or what? He told me he thinks the way the holders are put on does it and that so many skates go through the factory that some get by unnoticed. I would think they have some sort of inspection system worth a hoot ... even in China.

In any case he said don't worry about it he fixes those things all the time and wouldn't charge me for it, just the radius work he is doing originally.

Not worth the hassle for a return as they are an internet buy.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Semper Sens

I don't really know how often blade runners warp but I can vouch for shoddy manufacturer's standards.

I bought my first brand new pair of skates after this past Christmas, Easton Synergy 1200s. I was damn happy with my skates and I put them to use.

Within a month, I was skating and I turned sharply and felt something pop. I had no idea what had happened so I kept playing. Fast forward a week weeks and it turns out I had blown one of the bolts that holds the blade in the runner and the "pop" was my blade popping out of my skate when I turned to the right hard.

I go to Sportchek, where I bought them, to get them to fix it. The guy is telling me how I'll have to pay for the new bolt and I'm thinking in my head "Hellz no I'm not paying for a new bolt for a pair of skates I just bought."

The guy proceeds to check to see that the rest of the bolts are secure and he tells me they're all really loose. I explain to him that I bought them one month earlier and he told me there was no way they should all be that loose. He ended up giving me the bolt for free.

Anyways, the people who put these things together don't take as much pride in their work as we'd like them to.

BTW, I don't know how great Tuuk is anymore. I had a pair of used Bauer somethings two pairs before my new pair of skates and I broke both runners playing exclusivley on the ODR. On one foot, I had blocked a pass and a chunk half the size of a credit card broke off the front of the runner, leaving my blade exposed like a dagger. On the other foot, I guess I turned too sharply or maybe took another puck or something, and the back column of the runner that attaches the runner to the boot snapped. I could still skate but sharp turns would have my boot hanging out over my blade.

I wasn't impressed with those runners. I know they were used but they were mid range skates so it's unlikely the kid before me was playing AAA or something and blocking slapshots and stuff. Plus, playing at the odr means anything they experienced while I owned them were at the most hard passes.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 05:56 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
It is a lot more frequent than some people may think. I see bent/warped steel all the time. Most of the time though, the skater doesn't even know about it. Other times though, it is painfully obvious and re-riveting is required to make sure the holder is straight. It may be something that happens over time, but while rare, it has been known to be a problem on skates right out of the box as well.

Last edited by AHF: 06-17-2009 at 06:08 PM.
AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:23 PM
CaptBrannigan

I've encountered it on the Bauer Lightspeed 2s a lot if the screw that holds the runner is too tight. This screw should not be so tight that you can't turn it anymore.

CaptBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
It is a lot more frequent than some people may think. I see bent/warped steel all the time. Most of the time though, the skater doesn't even know about it. Other times though, it is painfully obvious and re-riveting is required to make sure the holder is straight. It may be something that happens over time, but while rare, it has been known to be a problem on skates right out of the box as well.
I don't know what the guy doing mine is going to do to fix it. He did tell me to forget about any cost ... he knows me and stuff which is cool. I throw his store a bone or two once in a while. I bought some farrell shouldies there recently and am going to buy a harrow tapered shaft and blade next week.

Anyway I pick them up thursday and i hope everything goes well with them after they are fixed.

Well guys i see you have had your share of runner mishaps and/or holder problems.

I had one TUUK holder problem years ago where the plastic cracked right in the middle of the blade. I took some fiberglas cloth and some epoxy resin and made a repair that lasted for 4 years.

I did see a guy on our team with a Lightspeed 2 blade runner that broke in half at the mid point between the heel and the middle of the blade after he got hit with a puck. the blade holder didn't break just the steel blade.

Nuts!

Old
06-18-2009, 12:48 AM
AHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I don't know what the guy doing mine is going to do to fix it. He did tell me to forget about any cost ...
Most shops should have a special tool to straighten bent blades. Re-riveting would be more of an extreme scenario, in cases were the steel is extremely out of whack.

Old
06-18-2009, 12:54 AM
AHF

Quote:
the blade holder didn't break just the steel blade.
That's quite 'normal'. I see cracked steel all too often. No specific brands...they all break...

Old
06-18-2009, 01:50 AM

I bought Vapor 10's in 1998, still have them today and Ive been through 2 sets of runners. On the original runner (the one with the little triangles) it became warped after about 15-20 games so i had to get them replaced. Its not a big issue as I didnt really notice a difference on the ice but I definitely got them changed the second i noticed it.

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
Most shops should have a special tool to straighten bent blades. Re-riveting would be more of an extreme scenario, in cases were the steel is extremely out of whack.
Yep my friend's shop has all that as I mentioned he does the skate repairs for the QMJHL MAINEiacs here.

Anyhew I just stopped by to pick them up and he was still working on them. He told me he had to do them twice and is doing it a third time because it took that long to figure out what was causing it. He finished while I was there but still has to radius the blades so I will stop in later this afternoon to pick them up.

To answer what was wrong with them (they were very warped by the way) he narrowed it down to ONE single rivet improperly drilled and off center throwing the whole front portion of the runner out of whack.

He repaired it by drilling a new hole in between the bad one and the next good one and popping a new rivet in there and it reset the entire holder properly. The steel itself was not warped. He then replaced the rivet in the bad hole after the holder was reset and then it did not move the whole thing again because of the new hole.

He said it was a trick he learned at a trade show a few years ago at a booth for skate shop equipment repair stuff.

He left the heel riveted by the way and just redid the front part that was messed up at the factory.

So good as new and not a big deal. he is a friend of mine and isn't charging me for the work I just will pay for the radius work. He's a good guy by the way and knows his business, he remarked on how often the Junior players for the MAINEiacs have to have this sort of thing done. It is crazy that there isn't better inspection before leaving the factory. I mean I could understand on recreational skates but he showed me those $600 X60 skates with the same problem though not as dramatic.

I'll say it again ... NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAstles91 View Post
I bought Vapor 10's in 1998, still have them today and Ive been through 2 sets of runners. On the original runner (the one with the little triangles) it became warped after about 15-20 games so i had to get them replaced. Its not a big issue as I didnt really notice a difference on the ice but I definitely got them changed the second i noticed it.
Yep I have the Vapor 6's from 2002-03 and they have those runners. Black with the little triangles cut out right?

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 06-18-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old
06-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Yep I have the Vapor 6's from 2002-03 and they have those runners. Black with the little triangles cut out right?
Yeah I would have thought that they were of better quality but apparently not!

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAstles91 View Post
Yeah I would have thought that they were of better quality but apparently not!
It's funny you mention that because I go in to pick up my skates and my friend ended up replacing the runners entirely as he told me one of them had a soft spot in the steel or "something" he said while trying to radius them, they kept making a flat spot in the rocker at that one spot on one runner only. The other one was fine.

Anyway he replaced the runners with the stainless steel silver colored normal ones and didn't charge me a cent for them which was awesome. I thought at first he may have screwed up while doing it (why else would a store owner give away free runners right) but I looked at it myself and you could tell there was something wrong. He had a lot of blade left to be able redo them correctly if he had screwed them. I guess he is just honestly a nice guy or something .... I know it is rare but alas it is true.

Then I bought a Harrow tapered shaft (the color also matches my team jerseys) 100 Flex for their 300 series and a blade for them which was the pattern 5 (P88) with a 5 lie .... um he says "Just give me $80 for everything which includes the radius on the blades". He told me it was last year's overstock anyway and he is adding onto his store and needed to get rid of the stuff with a chuckle.

So I got a $35 Harrow composite blade, a $90 shaft and my skates radiused for $80 even PLUS new runners for free.

I wish more people would do business like that.