HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nyr/stl

Old
06-18-2009, 11:14 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Nyr/stl

This trade assumes Drury would waive his NMC and probably would be dependent on St. Louis not bringing back Tkachuk.

Drury and Zherdev

for

Kariya and a 2nd

Drury can play center or wing, is good on the PK and he's 2 years younger than Kariya. Plus Kariya is coming off injury. Drury has 3 years left on his deal.

Zherdev fills Tkachuk's spot.

Overall, the money is about the same as Kariya and Tkachuk made last year.

If Kariya is/remains healthy, maybe he will click with Gomez. If not, he's gone in a year and the Rangers have some cap space.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

i don't think st.louis needs centres

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Poozer

If I were the Rangers I'd do that in a heart beat. Can't see Drury wanting to move to St. Louis though...

Kariya is 6mil cap hit and in the last year of his contract?

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:21 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
This trade assumes Drury would waive his NMC and probably would be dependent on St. Louis not bringing back Tkachuk.

Drury and Zherdev

for

Kariya and a 2nd

Drury can play center or wing, is good on the PK and he's 2 years younger than Kariya. Plus Kariya is coming off injury. Drury has 3 years left on his deal.

If Kariya is/remains healthy, maybe he will click with Gomez. If not, he's gone in a year and the Rangers have some cap space.
id like this deal but drury wont waive his NTC/NMC

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Dawit49

If we are gonna take on salary. It's not gonna be Drury. Ill rather take on Kessel or Heatley.

Dawit49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:38 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawit49 View Post
If we are gonna take on salary. It's not gonna be Drury. Ill rather take on Kessel or Heatley.
The Blues could add McKee to the deal to even up the money. He could replace Rozsival if we trade him, or we can buy him out.

Old
06-18-2009, 11:40 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post
If I were the Rangers I'd do that in a heart beat. Can't see Drury wanting to move to St. Louis though...

Kariya is 6mil cap hit and in the last year of his contract?
Yes. McKee is last year also, 4 mil cap hit, if he was added to the deal.

Old
06-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

Drury and Zherdev

for

Kariya and a 2nd

Which is great for the Rangers, but not for the Blues. Drury isn't worth his cap hit and in the cap era, that is all that really matters. Paul K. isn't worth his either, but it comes off the books after this season, which is 2 years sooner then Drury. (The Blues have 10 million coming of the books next year - that gives the team a lot of flexibility to resign their core players - when the cap drops or go out and be active and add a little salary).

No reason to take on a 2nd line center that is overpaid. This doesn't address a need for the Blues which would be a sniper, backup goalie, or an offensive dman (which again we may not need).

Z is inconsistent, and will be seeking a large raise this year as an RFA. I am not sure he would fit into the St. Louis system.

And finally, KT is working out a deal to come back to the Blues for 1 more season. (Per Strickland or Rutherford - forgot which).

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Face it, the Rangers just aren't going to get other teams to bail them out of cap hell with 5 guys taking up over 30 million in cap space. You might get a team in desperate need of Gomez to take him for an underpayment, but even that's just wishful thinking.

Even worse is the multiple important RFA's the Rangers have this offseason. It does seem like they'll need to move Zherdev in order to re-sign their other RFA's and fill out their defense. Not only because Zherdev scores as much as their 7 million dollar men, but even just signing him at market value would be a problem.
I'd guess market value is 4-4.5 million. I can see a lot of teams being interested, but I don't think the Blues are one of them. It also depends what you want. A cheap defenseman? A couple of lower-scoring forwards? Picks/prospects?

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Face it, the Rangers just aren't going to get other teams to bail them out of cap hell with 5 guys taking up over 30 million in cap space. You might get a team in desperate need of Gomez to take him for an underpayment, but even that's just wishful thinking.

Even worse is the multiple important RFA's the Rangers have this offseason. It does seem like they'll need to move Zherdev in order to re-sign their other RFA's and fill out their defense. Not only because Zherdev scores as much as their 7 million dollar men, but even just signing him at market value would be a problem.
I'd guess market value is 4-4.5 million. I can see a lot of teams being interested, but I don't think the Blues are one of them. It also depends what you want. A cheap defenseman? A couple of lower-scoring forwards? Picks/prospects?
Rangers actually don't have to move anybody if they want to re-sign their RFA's. They have the funds to offer them realistic contracts, and even overpay a little if another team sends them an offer.

Considering what positional choices Sather has invested in the last few season's, (Baranka 2nd rnd'03, Staal 1st rnd'04, Sauer 2nd rnd'04, Potter 4th rnd '04, Sangs 1st rnd'06, Del-Z 1st rnd '08, + Gilroy) I think it's safe to assume that one of Rozsival, or Redden will be moved, with Rozy being the likely candidate for numerous reason's.

3 years remaining on his contract, 5M cap hit per season, but only 13M remaining in real money. 20+ minute a night defenseman. Rozy certainly has enough value to garner a decent return.

Naslund retiring early saves us 4M, which is what Cally and Dubi will cost about.

Zherdev's play wasn't exceptional enough for him to demand a ludicrous raise. Believe he had a 2.5M cap hit last year, and his stats were awfully close to what he did the year before with Columbus.

Antropov might receive offers paying him around 4M per year this off-season as an UFA. There is no chance in hell Zherdev earns a penny over 3.5 as a rfa. Hopefully he does though, from another team which frees up even more cap room.

The fact that the Rangers actually have a farm system, which allows them to promote from within and save $$$, is the main reason why they are not in CAP HELL, although on paper right now I do understand why some people might assume they are.

As long as Henrik Lundqvist is healthy, and the Rangers do not start sacrificing players they have spent years developing, they should remain competitive. Throw in a maybe like, "Torts will get more out of Drury and Gomez than Renney", and there is reason to assume this franchise will continue playing like a playoff caliber team.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Duponttime*

This makes the Rangers a much worse team and we lose our captain. No.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 05:14 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Rangers actually don't have to move anybody if they want to re-sign their RFA's. They have the funds to offer them realistic contracts, and even overpay a little if another team sends them an offer.

Considering what positional choices Sather has invested in the last few season's, (Baranka 2nd rnd'03, Staal 1st rnd'04, Sauer 2nd rnd'04, Potter 4th rnd '04, Sangs 1st rnd'06, Del-Z 1st rnd '08, + Gilroy) I think it's safe to assume that one of Rozsival, or Redden will be moved, with Rozy being the likely candidate for numerous reason's.

3 years remaining on his contract, 5M cap hit per season, but only 13M remaining in real money. 20+ minute a night defenseman. Rozy certainly has enough value to garner a decent return.

Naslund retiring early saves us 4M, which is what Cally and Dubi will cost about.

Zherdev's play wasn't exceptional enough for him to demand a ludicrous raise. Believe he had a 2.5M cap hit last year, and his stats were awfully close to what he did the year before with Columbus.

Antropov might receive offers paying him around 4M per year this off-season as an UFA. There is no chance in hell Zherdev earns a penny over 3.5 as a rfa. Hopefully he does though, from another team which frees up even more cap room.

The fact that the Rangers actually have a farm system, which allows them to promote from within and save $$$, is the main reason why they are not in CAP HELL, although on paper right now I do understand why some people might assume they are.

As long as Henrik Lundqvist is healthy, and the Rangers do not start sacrificing players they have spent years developing, they should remain competitive. Throw in a maybe like, "Torts will get more out of Drury and Gomez than Renney", and there is reason to assume this franchise will continue playing like a playoff caliber team.
I agree that Tortorella can make a big difference. That's what the Rangers pretty much have to bank on, and it's not a bad bet.

Dubinsky, Zherdev, and Callahan are due significant raises and they need to either re-sign or replace Morris and Mara. Are there youngsters who are really ready to step in and cover those 21 and 19 minutes those guys play?

If you add up just the necessary roster spots they need to fill and the raises to the RFA's, they project to be near the cap. Over? Probably not. But near it without improving is a long-term problem. In just another year when they have to re-sign Staal and Girardi, that's a big problem.
An intractable problem? No, but it's very real. But assuming that they're going to foist Rozsival's 5 million cap hit on somebody is a huge assumption. Not saying it won't happen, but that's a rather specific and unreliable thing to, well, rely on.

As for Zherdev's raise, take a look at the salaries of the 60-point scorers in their early-mid 20's around the league. There are some who make more than the 4-4.5 million I targeted. Some make less, but they're mostly older contracts. If I'm Zherdev, unless I love the Rangers and New York, there's no way you're convincing me that Gomez and Drury are such good leaders, are so good defensively, or Cup victories several years ago mean they're worth fully twice what I am despite scoring the same amount at 5 and 8 years older.
He could sign for less, but you can't deny the team is in cap hell when so much is locked up for so long by so few guys and they're pretty much relying on signing Zherdev for less and moving Rozsival.

Old
06-18-2009, 05:15 PM
jmwc95

From a Blues fan, we don't want 3 more years of Drury. Kariya comes off the books next year.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
From a Blues fan, we don't want 3 more years of Drury. Kariya comes off the books next year.
dito (+1)

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 07:07 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Terrible deal for St. Louis.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:33 PM
ecemleafs

what if the rangers didnt have a draft pick coming back to them in a trade?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
what if the rangers didnt have a draft pick coming back to them in a trade?
The point is not the value of the players, it's the contracts and types of players. The Blues already have plenty of centers and right wings. And with contracts coming up for all of their core youngsters over the next couple of seasons, a couple of big contracts that don't fill needs kind of handcuffs them.

They don't want to rob the young forwards of icetime for guys who are not significantly more productive. If they're making a play for 11+ million dollars worth of players, it's not going to be two 60 point forwards. It'll be a goaltender, a true sniper/goalscorer, or a top-pairing defenseman, etc. Quality over quantity.