HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Mike Green win the Norris?

View Poll Results: Will Mike Green win the Norris?
Yes 48 30.38%
No 110 69.62%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
You guys know the Norris is as much a reputation award as anything. I'd be curious to see how many guys under 25 have won it. I bet not many.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The TSN guys have picked Mike for the Norris. If you dont think he willl win the Norris because its Chara's "turn", by chance, did you also think Bruce wouldnt win the adams last year because he didnt coach enough games? I hope so. Sure its easy to be a homer, but with greatness on display on our own home ice, I am surprised he doesnt get more support here.
The more I think about it, the more I think he will win it. I am going to do a 180 and say Mike Green will win the Norris trophy. That was unthinkable to me at the beginning of the season, however how can they not give it to him? Not only is his minutes per game and +/- right with the only other two true competors for the prize IMO (Chara and Lidstrom) but he has had a record breaking year and has 70 points compared to 47 (Chara) and 56 (Lidstrom).

IMO its either Lidstrom or Green. And although I think everyone with half a brain will admit Lidstrom is the better overall defensman, the fact Green is the new kid on the block everyone is talking about may help him out here. He may not be the best defensman in the NHL, but he is the most exciting. And that may be enough to win him the award.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
You guys know the Norris is as much a reputation award as anything. I'd be curious to see how many guys under 25 have won it. I bet not many.
I have another trivia question, how many Norris trophy winners were not even all-stars?

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 12:49 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoran77 View Post
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09095/960687-61.stm

looks like dave molinari and the pens don't think too much of green's defensive ability..
Nuh uh, a Pens writer dedicates an article to slamming a Caps' player?

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 12:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
I have another trivia question, how many Norris trophy winners were not even all-stars?
Exactly...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:00 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 900
back in the day i was an old schooler that thought the norris was about defensive play first. It was hard not to watching Rod Langway 80 times a year. It almost killed me when Coffey was winning it because he didnt give a rats ass about defense. But my how the tides have turned. Part of me thinking that Green has a great chance is because the league is attempting to modernize itself post strike and it has failed to bring offense to forefront. I think the leagues teams collectively does not even average 3 goals per game and I hope the voters keep that in mind. That makes Greens numbers all the more mesmerizing.

No where is age a criteria for winning awards that I am aware of. Sure the best players often also have lots of experience; Ovi brought home 4 last year at a ripe young age, however.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-06-2009 at 02:26 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
going back, the only guy I can find that won the Norris remotely recently that didn't play in the game is Rob Blake.

That doesn't mean he wasn't on the team, just that he didn't play in the game.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:46 PM
MastersAndCPA

I think he will win it. Voter's love stats and he has extremely impressive stats, especially when you consider the games he's missed.

One thing I'll say against him is that he benefits a ton from having Ovechkin on the other point on the PP. Look at how much room he gets. It's ridiculous. I'd be curious to see how many goals and PP points guys like Shea Weber or Dan Boyle would get playing the PP with Ovy.

The biggest thing I'd say for him is he's amazing at taking the puck out of his own end under a heavy forecheck and getting it to the offensive zone. He'll often beat two guys and create an odd man rush up the ice. If he could learn to use his teammates better when he does this and make passes in the neutral zone, he'd be one of best defensemen of all time.

The best D I've seen this year are Green, Boyle, Weber, and Duncan Keith. There are pros and cons to each. I'd probably vote for Green in the end.

Chara's a little overrated IMO. He gets bailed out by Thomas a lot and their system in general helps him out.

I think Lidstrom has slipped a bit and I wouldn't have him as a finalist myself, but I haven't seen every Wings game.

MastersAndCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 08:38 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Today's the big day. I still think there is a good chance he wins it. 31 goals. Where is TXPD with that post he makes about most goals since Bobby Orr something something. To hell with Lurch we like offense around here.

Old
06-18-2009, 09:00 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

I'll admit that I'm a bit conflicted here. I really wanted him to get nominated (and I am pleased he did), but he's going to face a ton of scrutiny if he wins this award -- especially after he struggled so badly in the playoffs. He's going to be the focus of a lot of negative attention next season for each defensive gaffe.

It may be a little early for him to win this award.

Am I the only one feeling this way?

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
I'll admit that I'm a bit conflicted here. I really wanted him to get nominated (and I am pleased he did), but he's going to face a ton of scrutiny if he wins this award -- especially after he struggled so badly in the playoffs. He's going to be the focus of a lot of negative attention next season for each defensive gaffe.

It may be a little early for him to win this award.

Am I the only one feeling this way?
I was thinking about that yesterday too. Nobody is going to remember the regular season he had, everybody remembers his struggles in the playoffs. So if he wins the Norris he'll have a lot of negative attention and higher expectations going into next season.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:07 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

No you are not. I've thought the same thing. Plus I'd like to see him stay motivated on improving.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:21 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

As injured as he was...I don't think it matters.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:23 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

i am just glad we inked him before he won one. He will face more scrutiny if he wins it but lets face it... he is going to face high scrutiny as a top flight offensive guy. The dumb ass redneck fans will never learn anyways. About his playoff performance - I am not worried about it. Its not like Lurch led his team to the cup; Lidstrom, ditto.

Old
06-18-2009, 09:31 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
i hope he wins. if he faces scrutiny so be it.

more reason to prove the nay sayers wrong when he conditions this offseason.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:39 AM
txpd

Quote:
Today's the big day. I still think there is a good chance he wins it. 31 goals. Where is TXPD with that post he makes about most goals since Bobby Orr something something. To hell with Lurch we like offense around here.
Green broke Orr's record for most goals by a defenseman in a season playing under 70 games. Orr had 29 in 63 games. Green 31 in 68 games. That is pretty remarkable.

I dont worry about his playoff numbers. He was very good against the Flyers. He was injuried this season.

Last edited by txpd: 06-18-2009 at 09:45 AM.
txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Put your vcash in if you think he's got it. 7:1 odds. the longshot. the kid. Few thought Bruce would win the adams; including Bruce who didnt even know after he won it.

Old
06-18-2009, 09:47 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
i hope he wins. if he faces scrutiny so be it.

more reason to prove the nay sayers wrong when he conditions this offseason.
This.

Also, and excuse my crassness, but the nay sayers can eat it. I hope Ovie and Greener sweep the awards that they're up for. To hell with the ignoramuses on this site and in the media. He WAS as valuable to the Caps as any defenseman in the league. His regular season WAS epic, and he deserves the award as much as either of the other two.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:50 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Put your vcash in if you think he's got it. 7:1 odds. the longshot. the kid. Few thought Bruce would win the adams; including Bruce who didnt even know after he won it.
All in.

Old
06-18-2009, 10:40 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegr8 View Post
All in.
Good man. A lot have jumped on board it seems. I think thats a decent bet. It wise to only make bets when the odds seem out of whack.

I really hope Green gets it. With the new lower scoring NHL backfiring in the faces of those desperatly trying to promote scoring and sales by tweaking the rules, a guy like him winning the Norris can only help their efforts. Lets face it, high scoring games are exciting. Us old cap fans appreciate solid 2-way play and indeed it wins in the playoffs, but it doesn't sell seats in the regular season. Is the fix in?

Old
06-18-2009, 10:45 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
500 vCASH on Green.

contemplating calling Vegas.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Burgh32

We're overthinking all of this psychology stuff. I hope he wins it but don't think he will. It just depends on the mindset of the voters who either see it as:
1. His contributions on offense dwarf any perceived weaknesses on defense
2. Defensemen should play defense first

It is interesting how stereotypes grow like wildfire amongst fans. He's currently being lambasted on his poor defensive play in the playoffs, while injured, and getting tabbed as one of the worst in his own zone.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 10:57 AM
txpd

He does play defense first.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 11:06 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
He does play defense first.
I agree. Please let's not perpetuate that canard on this board. One might as well say Chara doesnt contribute offensively because his numbers arent as gaudy as Green's are (or because he's not as effective in that end as Green.) Green isnt as good at this stage in his career in his own end as the other two, but he was showing steady improvement as the season wore on (which some seem to have forgotten because of his struggles in the postseason), and he was other-wordly offensively. Those two things combined make him a legitimate contender for the award, and it wouldnt be some miscarriage of justice if he won it.

Old
06-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

We need new topics.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote