HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Brian Burke - Dany Heatley

Old
06-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Canad93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
We'd see how fast Brian Burke would change his mind if Dany Heatley said that he only wanted to play for Toronto. Anytime you get a chance to add a consistent 30-40 goal scorer like Dany Heatley to your team you take it.
If Dany Heatley said he only wanted to play for Toronto, Burke's point would be valid as every other team would withdraw their offer and Toronto would get him for peanuts, simply because no one wants a guy that will only play for Toronto.

Burke's point is that it shows a lot of selfishness to publicly state that you've asked for a trade. He could have just as easily and effectively told the team in private, but he decided to screw over the team he just signed a 6 year deal with by ensuring that they get less in a deal for him.

Now other teams have that leverage, and can say, "well actually we know that your player doesn't want to play for you anymore, so I'm not going to add anything else to this deal."
Sure, there could be a bidding war, but the point is that it's selfish to publicly ask for a trade. Burke is no hypocrite on this matter. In fact, it makes plenty of sense to criticize a member of a rival team that he has no chance of getting. If you're surprised that he's speaking out in the media, or upset, than you must have missed a lot because this is nothing new. He is a media *****. Incompetent, stupid and hypocritical however, he is not.

He has been known to mess around with the media as well, so I would take what he says with a grain of salt..

Last edited by Canad93: 06-19-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Pinkfloyd

The key difference between this situation and the Pronger situation is that Brian Burke doesn't have a chance at acquiring the player. So the next best thing for him to do is to attempt in his own way to minimalize what a division rival can get for the player by putting his spin on the situation. He has every right to talk about any player he wants...even if what he says is hypocritical or stupid. Just because he's a GM of another team doesn't mean he's not allowed to talk about people when asked about them or even if he just wanted to pop off about it randomly.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 02:01 AM
Canad93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSharkzFan View Post
As soon as I saw the headline, I thought: Who cares what you think Burke? Ottawa was never going to trade Heatley to you anyway...

This hypocrite really does love the sound of his own voice.

I like how you're mad at how true #91's post was... #92 is completely irrelevant to #91. I like how #98 puts #95 in it's place though.
Actually bud, he probably wasn't 'mad at how true #91's post was'. Post #98 makes himself look like an idiot. But hey, unjustified indignation and a false sense of accomplishment make for some good entertainment.

You edited that post...So you actually put thought into it on two occasions, and that was the best you could come up with.
Way to go.

I'm calling his next response guys:

"I know you are but what am I"

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote