HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Breakaways

Old
06-17-2009, 09:45 AM
madmutter
Oilyness

vCash: 500
Breakaways

So I am fairly new rec league player and have been playing in a 3 on 3 summer league and working on my skating at open skates and an adult powerskating class. The good part of this is that I've had 5 breakaways in the last 2 games. The bad part is I'm 0 for 5 on breakaways. I need help.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:12 AM
ZMachine

ZMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
You haven't really given us any information, but..
Always remember to shoot if the goalie is back in the net, and deke if he is out. Work on your stickhandling at home and on the ice as well as your snap and wrist shots. If you have all that down, the most important part is to be creative.

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:31 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

By no means am I fantastic at breakaways, but for me it helps to just keep it simple. Personally, I usually use the same 2 or 3 different options frequently. Nothing extremely fancy whatsoever. I usually use:

1) Quick shot. I typically shoot high so being able to lift the puck well helps. It's frustrating when I mess up and hit the goalie in the stomach. Sometimes I try 5 hole if I notice its available / can get the goalie moving one way or another.

2) Deke to backhand. Being able to lift the puck well backhand consistently can be a great asset.

Also, try to learn from each attempt, especially against the same goalie. Sometimes you might notice things you can take advantage of like poor lateral movement, weak glove or blocker, or aggressiveness.

Again, I'm not the best at them and there are several people here that can give you much better advice. But for me, keeping it relatively simple and just being attentive works pretty well.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:35 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
So I am fairly new rec league player and have been playing in a 3 on 3 summer league and working on my skating at open skates and an adult powerskating class. The good part of this is that I've had 5 breakaways in the last 2 games. The bad part is I'm 0 for 5 on breakaways. I need help.
Well what are you trying to do? My advice is to just shoot the puck.

I only have a couple of moves:

1) skate in fast and shoot for the hole
2) hesitate on the shot and go backhand
3) try the forsberg move
4) drive wide and take a shot to the far side

Keep your head up while skating in and look for the hole. If you don't see a hole try to make the goalie move to create a hole.

General rule of thumb: if the goalie is far out of his net go for a deke... if he's deep in his net go for a shot.

Granted I'm not a breakaway king by any stretch of the imagination. I find that I do much better when I have to beat a defender and find myself with less space to make the move/take the shot. The worst thing you can do on a breakaway is try to overthink it.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

believe it or not, when you have a breakaway there is alot of net to shoot at when you are in the slot and not alot of time for the goalie to react if you have a quick accurate shot. taking a quick snap shot and not tipping off the goalie will help with scoring by shooting

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:47 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Check the goalies position like was said before. If they are still right at the net, shoot. If they have come out, I like to use some speed and go side to side. Make a movement like you are going to shoot then go to the side

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
McCrosby

A big part is reading the goalie, like someone mentioned if he is out far deke, if he stays back in his net and gives you room to shoot then shoot. Before the game in warm ups and during the game keep an eye on the goalie and check for anything that he might do a lot, some goalies like to stand more, which means shoot low. Some like to go down a lot which means fake a shot and then go upstairs.

My favourite move that works a lot is the Jussi Jokinen shootout move that made him go 9 for 9 a few years back ( The first few in the youtube video). If you are a left hand shot, come down from the right of the net and when you get to just above the slot, star moving left a little, fake a shot and then quickly move as far laterally to your left as possible. If the fake shot is good it will freeze the goalie and then when you move quickly to your left laterally it opens up literally about a foot or two of net to shoot at from about 4 feet out. If you can perfect this move you are golden! Guaranteed!

McCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:04 PM
McCrosby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4qyL...eature=related

McCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

I have 4 bread & butter moves on my breakaways:

1.) Once you get in to about the circles, put the puck in a shooting position, don't stick handle at all, stare the goalie down - maybe throw a slight head or shoulder fake or kick the foot back - and just snap the puck to an open spot. This is what I go back to over and over again (I have a real good shot from this position) and I score on it probably 70% of the time.

2.) I come in and favor my backhand. Take the puck wide when you bring it to your backhand and keep it close when you bring it back to your forehand. Basically, if you shoot righty, you're putting the puck out far to your left, but not very far when you come back across your body to the right. Cradle the puck this way a few times and than on the last time, do the opposite - essentially "faking" as you go to the left (because the goalie is expected another wide stickhandle) and quickly bringing it across your body to the right (forehand) but going wider with it and putting it inside the post.

3.) The exact opposite of #2. Bring it wide on the forehand and keeping it close on the backhand, before switching it up and bring it wide backhand and throwing it inside the post.

4.) I come down the right wing, keeping my stickhandle on my right side instead of across my body (forward and back, rather than side to side). As I cut towards the net, I drop the puck out wide on my forehand side (same side I've been handling the puck on) and as my body cuts across the front of the net I keep my hands in a shooting position, out wide. As the goalie follows me across the net and pulls away from the post I try to shoot up to the top corner that he just vacated.

It might be hard to understand what I'm talking about in any of those because... well, it's hard to put into words what your brain does automatically in a matter of seconds. I just finished up my final year of college hockey though and have always had great success with all of those moves, especially #1 and #4.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:56 PM
McNasty

I like to throw a leg kick with a fake shot and then see what the goalie does. If he drops I'll deke and if he doesn't i'll snap one low. One person mentioned it earlier but if you just hold the puck in the shooting position and drift in just watch the goalie and see if you can outwait him.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:05 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrosby View Post
A big part is reading the goalie, like someone mentioned if he is out far deke, if he stays back in his net and gives you room to shoot then shoot. Before the game in warm ups and during the game keep an eye on the goalie and check for anything that he might do a lot, some goalies like to stand more, which means shoot low. Some like to go down a lot which means fake a shot and then go upstairs.

My favourite move that works a lot is the Jussi Jokinen shootout move that made him go 9 for 9 a few years back ( The first few in the youtube video). If you are a left hand shot, come down from the right of the net and when you get to just above the slot, star moving left a little, fake a shot and then quickly move as far laterally to your left as possible. If the fake shot is good it will freeze the goalie and then when you move quickly to your left laterally it opens up literally about a foot or two of net to shoot at from about 4 feet out. If you can perfect this move you are golden! Guaranteed!
fixed it for you. When using the Youtube code you only need to copy and paste the part of the URL after the "="

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Here's what I do, based off the recommendations of my goalie:

- Skate in just left of center (I'm a lefty)
- Lift up back leg
- Chop stick on ice (freezes inexperienced goalies)
- Shoot if there's a ton of net or deke to backhand and put the puck in the air if he's hugging the near post

I don't have many breakaways anymore, and I'm not the best, but it seems to work well enough for me. I find chopping the stick on the ice keeps my hands in shooting position and keeps my puck control, because for some odd reason when I try to cup the puck and fake a shot, it throws my shooting dynamics way off.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Badwolf

Send a message via MSN to Badwolf
I can personally vouch for the stick tap freezing rookie goalies... I fall for that one sometimes.

Badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post

4.) I come down the right wing, keeping my stickhandle on my right side instead of across my body (forward and back, rather than side to side). As I cut towards the net, I drop the puck out wide on my forehand side (same side I've been handling the puck on) and as my body cuts across the front of the net I keep my hands in a shooting position, out wide. As the goalie follows me across the net and pulls away from the post I try to shoot up to the top corner that he just vacated.
This move is money.. if I'm coming down the left wing on a breakaway (I'm left handed) I do this pretty much every time. The goalie has to start going to the center with you because if they don't you just pull it backhand and slide it right by them. If you can pick that corner with a quick snap shot, you'll have a very high shooting percentage with this move.

If you notice what Jussi Jokinen did on all those moves, he changed his shooting angle causing the goalie to move which opened up a bunch of holes. When dealing with goalies (especially butterfly goalies) the key is to get them to move and give yourself some holes to shoot at.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 11:09 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
This move is money.. if I'm coming down the left wing on a breakaway (I'm left handed) I do this pretty much every time. The goalie has to start going to the center with you because if they don't you just pull it backhand and slide it right by them. If you can pick that corner with a quick snap shot, you'll have a very high shooting percentage with this move.

If you notice what Jussi Jokinen did on all those moves, he changed his shooting angle causing the goalie to move which opened up a bunch of holes. When dealing with goalies (especially butterfly goalies) the key is to get them to move and give yourself some holes to shoot at.
I used to think so too until I started facing aggressive goalies that love the pokecheck!

Old
06-19-2009, 11:17 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I used to think so too until I started facing aggressive goalies that love the pokecheck!
Yeah, I hate those ********.

If they dive for a poke check all you have to do though is skate around or flip it over. They still get me with it sometimes though, I hate those damn things with a passion.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Analyzer

If you're coming in straight on go to left, or right side, depending on which still allows you to shoot without going on your back hand, then quickly cut back and roof it.

If you shoot left and you're coming in on the left side act like you're going to cut across in front, then pull back and slide it into the open net.. if he falls for it.

If you shoot left and you're coming in on the left side, try to cut in front and hope if he pokechecks you he misses and try and slide it between his legs as he's sliding across.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 12:10 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

You know what move always works? The triple-deke.

But in all seriousness, play to your strengths. If you have a pretty good shot and you get some open net, rip one. If your stickhandling is your strong suit, use it. If you're Evgeni Malkin, slappers from the hash marks are the way to go. Most importantly, just relax and try not to over think it.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post

This is exactly right. He HAS to separate from the post to follow you across or you're going to have an easy backhand on the far post. A good goalie can change the equation with a pokecheck, but even so, he still needs to leave the near post. With quick hands and a good shot you can always go back up to that corner. If he doesn't separate, like you said, you bring it across for the open backhand and what I do in the case that I can't pull him off the post enough or he starts to get the pokecheck out is TRY to jam the breaks, fake like I was bringing it across to the backhand and just slide it low on the near side instead of continuing my cut to the other post.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 01:04 PM
winger17

Five-hole. All the time on experience goalies. Works alot. Mostly because alot of the raise their stick off the ice.

winger17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 04:16 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger17 View Post
Five-hole. All the time on experience goalies. Works alot. Mostly because alot of the raise their stick off the ice.
I played 3 on 3 with a guy who went five hole every time he got a penalty shot (penalties in 3 v 3 are penalty shots) and he scored every freekin' time. He went 8 for 8 in a 15 game season, which was pretty incredible. The goalies weren't scrubs and he didn't really have a rocket shot... IDK what he did but he found a way to fool the goalies every time.

Old
06-19-2009, 04:32 PM
winger17

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I played 3 on 3 with a guy who went five hole every time he got a penalty shot (penalties in 3 v 3 are penalty shots) and he scored every freekin' time. He went 8 for 8 in a 15 game season, which was pretty incredible. The goalies weren't scrubs and he didn't really have a rocket shot... IDK what he did but he found a way to fool the goalies every time.
It is a good move...If he did the thing that Jussi Jokinen did kinda push it over to one side then go 5-hole that tends to work alot.

winger17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 04:38 PM
HabsInsideOut

Head fake, stick pump, then to your backhand. Works everytime.

HabsInsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
As a goalie, I find when a guy dekes, unless he's nasty one of two things will happen.

1) He has to look down to do his business, and is easily poke checked, as he doesn't see my stick coming.
2) He dekes himself out of a good shooting position and can't lift it over my leg and hand.

It is really hard to maintain good balance and be ready for a shot while you're moving laterally. So if you are not a brilliant stick handler, a lot of these moves will be easy to screw up in a game when there is most likely someone chasing you. I think the simplest most consistently effective thing guys do against me is what I describe below. I would just try to cut out a little bit, get up as much speed as you can, and make the goalie try to follow you laterally. He will be forced to give you something (be it 5 hole, leaving a corner open, or not keeping up with you). At that point the ball is in your court. Also, throwing in a little shoulder drop and leg lift is a great idea right before you make your cut across, that always freezes me a little and takes some umph out my push across. It is always easier to skate with a guy back into my net then to skate across with him.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote